Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Missouri 82, Illinois 73 POSTGAME

Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:38 PM   #176
Cool Hand Luke
Founder, Mike Thomas Fan Club
Haven't read the thread. Can't do it right now. Sorry for any repetition.

Tracy Abrams has to be better than this if we are going to be a legitimately good team. Wow. Just really, really bad. Like, clueless and completely lost bad.

Oh well. Hard to be upset with a team that shot that poorly and still almost won. On our worst night it's still ten times better than Bruceketball. Last year, with Myers Leonard, we would have lost by 20. We shot terribly and still almost beat a top 15 team. I'm good.

Mizzou is really tough. And I hate to say it, but Haith seems to know what he's doing, which is just mind-boggling to me.

Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:38 PM   #177
Archie
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeroses07 View Post
Did we take a charge all game?
Maybe one
Archie is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:39 PM   #178
IlliniSF
Banned
We lost cause we didn't make shots. That's three games in a roll and you just can't miss the amount of 3s and expect to win against a good team.
IlliniSF is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:39 PM   #179
trevdv
Quote:
Nope. Well, we did, but the refs didn't call it.
trevdv is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:42 PM   #180
IslandHydro
Quote:
Originally Posted by derrick6 View Post
Proud of the fight in this team. Just learn to grab on to a few more balls and it is a different outcome. I don't get how so many over the back calls are missed.
+1
Shot selection at the end was miserable, but the fight... that's what I want to see!
IslandHydro is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:43 PM   #181
ButkusDaBear
Disappointed in the loss only because it was Mizzou. We shot a horrible percentage and got killed on the boards and yet we were still in it to the end. I sure wish DJ would drive in and take a 10 footer from the corner instead of chucking the threes. DJ could be deadly if he would just pump fake and take a closer shot.
ButkusDaBear is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:46 PM   #182
blmillini
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniSF View Post
We lost cause we didn't make shots. That's three games in a roll and you just can't miss the amount of 3s and expect to win against a good team.
We lost because we cannot block out. While our 3 point shooting was not good tonight, it was good enough for us to win if we would have blocked out.
blmillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:46 PM   #183
krervin2
Not looking for any excuses but I could have used one over the back call for my conscience. Loved the effort from the Illini tonight. Shots just weren't falling. We'll bounce back and beat Auburn by 15-20+.
krervin2 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:47 PM   #184
Archie
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButkusDaBear View Post
Disappointed in the loss only because it was Mizzou. We shot a horrible percentage and got killed on the boards and yet we were still in it to the end. I sure wish DJ would drive in and take a 10 footer from the corner instead of chucking the threes. DJ could be deadly if he would just pump fake and take a closer shot.
The pump fake is barely used at the college level these days, and the three has become a weapon in every team's arsenal.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:48 PM   #185
blmillini
Quote:
Originally Posted by krervin2 View Post
Not looking for any excuses but I could have used one over the back call for my conscience. Loved the effort from the Illini tonight. Shots just weren't falling. We'll bounce back and beat Auburn by 15-20+.
We didn't get a single one of those did we? And, Mizzou's bigs were too big and strong for us to hold off in those situations where we actually did have position.
blmillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:50 PM   #186
ButkusDaBear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archie View Post
The pump fake is barely used at the college level these days, and the three has become a weapon in every team's arsenal.
Indeed it's a weapon but DJ been shooting blanks. I'm not saying he needs to quit shooting the three but get his confidence up with the shorter bunnies first
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:52 PM   #187
Archie
Banned
Quote:
Indeed it's a weapon but DJ been shooting blanks. I'm not saying he needs to quit shooting the three but get his confidence up with the shorter bunnies first
I'm in agreement with you.

Bob Knight is always stressing how the pump fake could be utilized - and not by actually physically demonstrating on his players or announcing partner - LOL
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:52 PM   #188
Ransom Stoddard
Ordained Dudeist Priest
Our guys played hard all game, and even with the loss that's a beautiful thing to see. Haith had his guys pumped up and ready to play physical, and the refs certainly let them play for quite a while, then things settled down in the middle of the second half.

I thought the momentum really shifted toward Mizzou after the double technical. I'm not sure what the refs saw, or what Sam said, but from what I could see on the replays, Bowers grabbed Sam with intent and was definitely the instigator. Regardless, it seemed like that took a little bit of spark out of our guys for a bit, and BP and JB didn't really seem the same after it, at least as I'm remembering it right now.

All in all, I thought that was as hard played of a game as I've seen the Illini play since Chet graduated. Shots didn't fall (and we need to tighten up a bit on shot selection, BP took some real question marks early in the shot clock), but we hung with them the entire game. Encouraging to say the least.

Beat Auburn!!
Ransom Stoddard is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:53 PM   #189
ButkusDaBear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archie View Post
I'm in agreement with you.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:55 PM   #190
Illini First
Banned
Quote:
Nope.
Illini First is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:55 PM   #191
IlliniSpine
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
Haven't read the thread. Can't do it right now. Sorry for any repetition.

Tracy Abrams has to be better than this if we are going to be a legitimately good team. Wow. Just really, really bad. Like, clueless and completely lost bad.

Oh well. Hard to be upset with a team that shot that poorly and still almost won. On our worst night it's still ten times better than Bruceketball. Last year, with Myers Leonard, we would have lost by 20. We shot terribly and still almost beat a top 15 team. I'm good.

Mizzou is really tough. And I hate to say it, but Haith seems to know what he's doing, which is just mind-boggling to me.
Very mind-boggling.
IlliniSpine is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:56 PM   #192
IlliniSpine
Banned
Quote:
Agree. Hard to break old habits I guess.
IlliniSpine is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:59 PM   #193
Illini First
Banned
Quote:
I don't get how so many over the back calls are missed
Seemed like a few, pushing as well and no calls. I guess they let them play, which gives Missouri the advantage.
Illini First is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 08:02 PM   #194
Kramer116
Tough game, we shot terribly but we hung in there.

Surprised how bad the stat skew was when I actually looked at it.

We really battled out there tonight.

"I do want to address something. I understand there was an article written about Illinois basketball being put in it's place. I'm going to tell you what place it's in. It's in a great place. That's what place it's in.... So if anyone wants to know what place Illinois college hoops is in right now, it's in a great place. Not a good place. A great place" - JFG
Kramer116 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 08:03 PM   #195
krervin2
Really glad Hill and Finke were there. Now they can see firsthand how much that game means to Illini nation. They'll remember this game when they play in future years. Although, I'm sure Finke already knows that since he's grown up with Illinois basketball.
krervin2 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 08:08 PM   #196
Dan
Admin
Illinois Basketball vs Missouri Highlights 12 22 12

IlliniProductionsHD
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 08:08 PM   #197
AEX
Quote:
Not to be too contrarian, but I saw DJ do this several times. In fact, I saw two plays where he passed up open threes, opting instead for a pump fake and drive. One led to an clear charge call.
AEX is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 08:10 PM   #198
Geno33
Missouri illini Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by -josh- View Post
I hate missouri
I feel your pain!! at least you don't have to put up with there fans.I live 65 miles from Columbia.
Geno33 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 08:12 PM   #199
illinijan
Brandon had an ice pack on his left knee in the postgame. That could be normal but he hasn't had it in other postgame pressers. Hope this is nothing. Disappointing finish but I thought a lot of positives occurred for the Illini.
illinijan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 08:13 PM   #200
Illinoiss
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevdv View Post
You can't tell me a freshman and Rice are going to be better than Paul, Richardson, and Griffey...
Why not?
Illinoiss is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »