Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Former Villanova PG Ty Johnson to transfer to South Carolina

Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:55 AM   #251
illinisc
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyk View Post
So we are comparing Pressey to DWill now? When DWill had "a bad shooting night" he was able to still dominate because of his ball control and defense. Pressey had solid ball control but his defense wasn't great (being short doesn't help) and his bigs rebounded most of his misses.

The only two guys that had complete control of the game were Bowers and Oriakhi. Take those two guys away and Mizzou loses by 30. Take Pressey away and they still likely win the game (perhaps by an even larger margin).

I'm not sure which game you watched but Pressey absolutely killed us. We couldn't stop his penetration and it caused a ton of problems for us. Why do you think Bowers and Oriakhi got so many easy opportunities. Yes, their bigs cleaned up his misses but we couldn't rebound those misses because our entire team had to collapse and help on Pressey.
illinisc is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:10 AM   #252
PeoriaIllini1
So back to Ty Johnson, has there been any update on him in the past two days? I trust in Groce. I just hope he is a good player. I would rather have a proven transfer even if he is from a mid major than a player that didnt play at another school. For example i would rather have Nic Moore or Jordan Clarkson given our results with players that didnt play much at their former school like Alex Legion for example. I trust in Groce and want him if he does. I would prefer a young star transfer from a mid major than a bench guy from a BCS team.
Also if anyone is looking they have good seats for NW and Minnesota i got fifth row of B just yesterday for both! Made my Christmas and i bought them myself!

Last edited by PeoriaIllini1; Dec 26, 2012 at 11:14 AM.
PeoriaIllini1 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:15 AM   #253
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Good afternoon everyone big day today

http://twitter.com/Ty_johnson3Nova
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:20 AM   #254
PeoriaIllini1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Thanks Dan!

If i see ya at Hooters before a game i will buy you a few beers! you dont know me but i know what you look like lol.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:20 AM   #255
troyk
Banned
Quote:
2nd Christmas?
troyk is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:25 AM   #256
Dan
Admin
Update
Quote:
Feel like balliing

http://twitter.com/Ty_johnson3Nova
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:28 AM   #257
joekam
Maybe he is changing his Twitter name. Then we'll have to read into his lean based on whether his name is @Ty_Johnson3Illini or @Ty_Johnson3SoCa.

Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:49 AM   #258
IlliniFreak7
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeoriaIllini1 View Post
So back to Ty Johnson, has there been any update on him in the past two days? I trust in Groce. I just hope he is a good player. I would rather have a proven transfer even if he is from a mid major than a player that didnt play at another school. For example i would rather have Nic Moore or Jordan Clarkson given our results with players that didnt play much at their former school like Alex Legion for example. I trust in Groce and want him if he does. I would prefer a young star transfer from a mid major than a bench guy from a BCS team.
Also if anyone is looking they have good seats for NW and Minnesota i got fifth row of B just yesterday for both! Made my Christmas and i bought them myself!
He did play a lot, he was just a soph who ended up having a lot of competition due to transfers/incoming players this year and didn't want to fall down the totem pole. Remember he'll have a year of groce teaching him before he can play and will be able to impact our team next year, not many other players can offer all that to us.

Last edited by IlliniFreak7; Dec 26, 2012 at 11:59 AM.
IlliniFreak7 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:56 AM   #259
HsvIllini
Quote:
Interesting - he and Colbert are buddies right? Probably not related, but Colbert tweeted this yesterday:

Quote:
Austin Colbert ‏@ACole_13_CTMD
Just got the best Email in the world #merrychristmas

https://twitter.com/ACole_13_CTMD
HsvIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 12:00 PM   #260
HsvIllini
Quote:
Scott Powers ‏@ESPNChiPowers
There was talk of a Ty Johnson visit to Illinois, but it never materialized. Not sure he and the Illini were the right fit.

Sounds like Villanova transfer Ty Johnson is likely headed to South Carolina. Illinois didn't appear all that interested in the end.

https://twitter.com/ESPNChiPowers
Does Scott Powers usually know his stuff? He just put these up...
Old Dec 26, 2012, 12:00 PM   #261
robertgoulet
IL Board Resident Crooner
Sounds like Villanova transfer Ty Johnson is likely headed to South Carolina. Illinois didn't appear all that interested in the end.

Edit: bah, HSV beat me to the punch!

Old Dec 26, 2012, 12:01 PM   #262
HsvIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertgoulet View Post

Edit: bah, HSV beat me to the punch!
Sorry
Old Dec 26, 2012, 12:03 PM   #263
HsvIllini
Quote:
Alex Kline ‏@TheRecruitScoop
Villanova transfer Tyrone Johnson has committed to South Carolina, according to @GCRivalsGlenn.

https://twitter.com/TheRecruitScoop
Old Dec 26, 2012, 12:05 PM   #264
illinitownie
we weren't all that interested? hmmm is there another player in the works or did Groce feel Johnson wasn't worth one of our current guys?
illinitownie is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 12:08 PM   #265
HsvIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinitownie View Post
we weren't all that interested? hmmm is there another player in the works or did Groce feel Johnson wasn't worth one of our current guys?
kinda makes you wonder
Old Dec 26, 2012, 12:08 PM   #266
gordonbacon15
I get the feeling he was more interested in Illinois than the staff was in him.
gordonbacon15 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 12:08 PM   #267
TCTORNADO
How could so many people on here have this so wrong? Even to the point of saying we were going to have someone transfer out after Mizzo game!!
TCTORNADO is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 12:08 PM   #268
mdonsbach
End of thread

Old Dec 26, 2012, 12:15 PM   #269
PeoriaIllini1
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonbacon15 View Post
I get the feeling he was more interested in Illinois than the staff was in him.
I am not surprised. I trust that if Groce's backed off he had good reason. Plus it may be wise to wait and see what happens in terms of our current roster this off season. I am sure there will be transfers and 5th year guys equally or more talented than Ty Johnson next year just like there this past season. He will also have a better idea of who may stay or transfer if anyone this off season.
With Tate and TA i think it is obvious we need that big body that can play right away much like Sam of this years team

Last edited by PeoriaIllini1; Dec 26, 2012 at 12:19 PM.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 12:23 PM   #270
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Nova transfer Tyrone Johnson just chose [South Carolina] over Illinois. He's a Gamecock assuming all paperwork goes through.

http://twitter.com/GCRivalsGlenn
Old Dec 26, 2012, 12:58 PM   #271
joekam
Now what are we going to do until Saturday?

Old Dec 26, 2012, 01:07 PM   #272
Letswinagain
Quote:
Originally Posted by joekam View Post
Now what are we going to do until Saturday?

:laugh: Nice one!
Letswinagain is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 01:08 PM   #273
Big Jack
Talk about JP some more? Maybe this all changed after a JG visit to see LA Friday..

Hmmm makes you wonder?
Big Jack is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 01:11 PM   #274
Letswinagain
Quote:
Originally Posted by HsvIllini View Post
kinda makes you wonder

In some ways, yes. However, it's been reported that Coach Groce told Jaylon Tate he would't recruit any more point guards. We don't know to which classes Coach Groce may have been referring.

Additionally, there are good young Illinois guards in the pipeline, several of whom are in Chicago. Maybe the coaching staff views the long-term recruiting goals as more important. It might also be that they know something we don't about chances with other players they are recruiting whom they regard more highly, or perceive to better fill a specific need.

At any rate, it's interesting that once again, we were in the final two for a solid, highly rated east coast guard.
Letswinagain is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 01:13 PM   #275
HsvIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letswinagain View Post
It might also be that they know something we don't about chances with other players they are recruiting whom they regard more highly, or perceive to better fill a specific need.
This is the part I was wondering.

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »