Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread

Closed Thread

Old Dec 26, 2012, 12:35 PM   #2951
IL2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLSauce View Post
With Johnson going to SC...who thinks Larry Austin commits soon???
Wondering the same thing...
Old Dec 26, 2012, 12:51 PM   #2952
BenjIllini
Hoopin Groce Style
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLSauce View Post
With Johnson going to SC...who thinks Larry Austin commits soon???
Not I. I think we're aiming higher than LA.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 12:53 PM   #2953
Dan
Admin
Quote:

But on Saturday, Illinois had four unofficial guests and one signee. Malcolm Hill was the signee. Michael Finke has verballed. Larry Austin Jr. is still wide open, with offers from just about everybody. And then there were two freshman from Saint Louis Chaminade College Prep. Jayson Tatum is a 6-foot-6 guard, and Will Gladson a 6-foot-7 center/forward. They were both rail thin, but that's expected at age fourteen, even for those who aren't taller than a door frame.

Rob McColley
Old Dec 26, 2012, 12:56 PM   #2954
BenjIllini
Hoopin Groce Style
The two kids committed to us are watching the game and the other 3 got their phones out lol. Gladson is looking but has his phone in hand.

Long ways for the '16 class. Lets focus on '14-'15
Old Dec 26, 2012, 01:25 PM   #2955
AZHOHoops
Malcolm looks like he's not pleased and wants out on the court!
Old Dec 26, 2012, 01:36 PM   #2956
ChiCityHoops34
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZHOHoops View Post
Malcolm looks like he's not pleased and wants out on the court!
I would have wanted him on the court myself !
Old Dec 26, 2012, 01:58 PM   #2957
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Status of Kendrick Nunn is up in the air for Simeon's Pontiac Tourney opener Thursday. He sat out practice with a bruised hip today.

http://twitter.com/ChiTribKane
Old Dec 26, 2012, 03:38 PM   #2958
cash35
Austin will committ soon and I dont know if I like it. I'd say he'd be a 3rd or 4th option at this point
Old Dec 26, 2012, 03:43 PM   #2959
IlliniFreak7
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by cash35 View Post
Austin will committ soon and I dont know if I like it. I'd say he'd be a 3rd or 4th option at this point
Is this based off of anything? Sorry just wondering where you got this info
Old Dec 26, 2012, 03:51 PM   #2960
DaytonIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniFreak7 View Post
Is this based off of anything? Sorry just wondering where you got this info
I'd like to copy that question. LA sounded anything BUT close to a commitment when he was interviewed at the Border game.

Old Dec 26, 2012, 04:18 PM   #2961
cash35
Just a guess..I know nothing.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 04:20 PM   #2962
Kramer116
Looking like Groce wants to be more selective with the last potential scholarship or two for 2014 and let things shake out on the team and go to the wire with a few higher rated prospects whole continuing to work the 2015 kids.

"I do want to address something. I understand there was an article written about Illinois basketball being put in it's place. I'm going to tell you what place it's in. It's in a great place. That's what place it's in.... So if anyone wants to know what place Illinois college hoops is in right now, it's in a great place. Not a good place. A great place" - JFG
Old Dec 26, 2012, 04:24 PM   #2963
HsvIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by illbasketfan View Post
I'm a huge Larry Austin fan but he's not gonna be in Our Blue and Orange! Tough kid doesn't have a true position he's just a guard. Ty Johnson has a better skill set for Groce's Offense!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cash35 View Post
I would definitely take illbasketfan's feelings over your gut feel as he has provided probably the most reliable info so far. However, based on his post, I wonder if he was feeling like Johnson was really coming here? Any insight if you're out there illbasketfan?
Old Dec 26, 2012, 04:50 PM   #2964
BigTenChamp87
Just got back from the McDipper, watched Marian Catholic. Tyler Ulis, in my humble opinion, can play in the Big Ten. Whether it will be for us is totally up to Coach Groce. First of all, I was expecting to see a midget; he's not 6'2", but he has enough stature for Big Ten play (I'd likie to see him add some strength). His handles are outstanding, his stroke is nice, he gets by his man and into the lane, and has a very nice floater. Not that it matters, but I would be OK if Coach extends him an offer.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 04:55 PM   #2965
WashUIllini
What about his distribution? How did he do getting it to bigs once he penetrated or out to the wings for open jumpers? How did he look making decisions in transition?
Old Dec 26, 2012, 05:30 PM   #2966
BigTenChamp87
Quote:
Originally Posted by WashUIllini View Post
What about his distribution? How did he do getting it to bigs once he penetrated or out to the wings for open jumpers? How did he look making decisions in transition?
I'm sorry I didn't comment on his point guard skills; but he is a true point guard. Distributes the ball well. He made a few bad passes/decisions, but that's to be expected. I really liked the fact that he did not shoot a lot during the fist half and really focused on setting up team-mates. He took over in the second half (scoring wise) to put the game out of reach. Marian eventually went up by 22 and they cleared their bench. The only concern is that one of their other guards, Josh Cohn, rolled his ankle and is probably questionable for tomorrow and possibly the rest of the games.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 07:44 PM   #2967
SummerofGeorge
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonIllini View Post
I'd like to copy that question. LA sounded anything BUT close to a commitment when he was interviewed at the Border game.
I would like to echo the sentiments of a few other posters in that I would like to aim higher. I think he will be a nice college player but I don't think he is the true PG we are looking for. He happens to play this week in Pekin if anyone is interested.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:01 PM   #2968
illinoisfan11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerofGeorge View Post
I would like to echo the sentiments of a few other posters in that I would like to aim higher. I think he will be a nice college player but I don't think he is the true PG we are looking for. He happens to play this week in Pekin if anyone is interested.
I'm going to go see LA play at 10:30 tomorrow morning. Not that I'm an expert talent evaluator by any means, but if I see anything of note I'll be sure to pass it on.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:45 PM   #2969
WizardBill
Illini optimist
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjIllini View Post
The two kids committed to us are watching the game and the other 3 got their phones out lol. Gladson is looking but has his phone in hand.

Long ways for the '16 class. Lets focus on '14-'15
I would be surprised if they did NOT have their phones out. Phones are lifelines with under 30's now.

Please return Dead and Alive to Edwin Schrodinger
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:12 AM   #2970
HsvIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardBill View Post
I would be surprised if they did NOT have their phones out. Phones are lifelines with under 30's now.
Definitely - they have to be able to tweet instantly about that last play
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:23 AM   #2971
BrooksTaylorFan
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by HsvIllini View Post
I would definitely take illbasketfan's feelings over your gut feel as he has provided probably the most reliable info so far. However, based on his post, I wonder if he was feeling like Johnson was really coming here? Any insight if you're out there illbasketfan?
Per Illbasketfan, TJ was not coming to Illinois. Like I posted in the other thread, Groce had interest in TJ several months ago but not now. With Tate onboard, Finke using the last available scholly, and no transfers this semester, TJ wasn't an option. TJ would have gladly chosen Illinois over SC, but Groce passed. And like Illbasketfan said before, it's very unlikely LA is an Illini.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:40 AM   #2972
HsvIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooksTaylorFan View Post
Per Illbasketfan, TJ was not coming to Illinois. Like I posted in the other thread, Groce had interest in TJ several months ago but not now. With Tate onboard, Finke using the last available scholly, and no transfers this semester, TJ wasn't an option. TJ would have gladly chosen Illinois over SC, but Groce passed. And like Illbasketfan said before, it's very unlikely LA is an Illini.
Sorry, I was just going off that one post and missed that he wasn't coming here if he posted it. I agree with what you said in the other thread - with the last available scholly filled, for a guard, Lyle has to be targets 1a, 1b and 1c.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:02 AM   #2973
DaytonIllini
Lyle in perspective.

(1) He's from Indiana - enuff said.
(2) He cannot even remember us when he is ticking off teams he is interested in.
(3) He has ALL the top programs in his list making UI unlikely.
(4) He visited several programs this summer but cancelled his visit to Illinois.

I'd sure love to have him but right now he seems like a pipe dream.

Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:08 AM   #2974
FeelYourPaign
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonIllini View Post
Lyle in perspective.

(1) He's from Indiana - enuff said.
(2) He cannot even remember us when he is ticking off teams he is interested in.
(3) He has ALL the top programs in his list making UI unlikely.
(4) He visited several programs this summer but cancelled his visit to Illinois.

I'd sure love to have him but right now he seems like a pipe dream.
Thanks for a dose of reality. I love how the program is going and have a lot of faith in JG and staff getting good players, but don't want to get so caught up in the fun of it all as to start believing anything and everything I see here. Your summary brings that home on this particular quest.

Based on his ratings and the undying attention to his exploits, I would love to have him as well (have not seen him play and frankly my scouting wouldn't be important anyway), but you've reminded me that this is uber-unlikely.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:13 AM   #2975
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Stevenson's Jalen Brunson is that good

For the past 12 months, to the dismay of some, the Hoops Report has included Stevenson point guard Jalen Brunson in the same class as St. Rita's Charles Matthews and Simeon's D.J. Williams when it comes to the top three players in the Class of 2015.

Joe Henricksen
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »