Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread

Closed Thread

Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:01 PM   #3076
ChiCityHoops34
Kids a beast
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:23 PM   #3077
WashUIllini
I didn't see much but Hill scored 7 points in the minute and a half I saw him play. Granted the other team was pressing but he's a great finisher at the rim
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:32 PM   #3078
Jimmy McNulty
Heard again yesterday on the Tay and Jay show, I think it was Sturdy who again said he expected Illinois to be in it in the end with Cliff Alexander. Also said that Kentucky had kind of backed off. I don't know if any one else had heard that but I thought it was kind of interesting. Kind of have to like that two big recruiting guys have both said Illinois will be in it with him in the last week.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:42 PM   #3079
carmelillini
North Central Holiday Tournament

Jaylon Brown (Purple Aces commit) is the best player on the court in the first half of Fishers vs North Central. Smooth shot, hustles, and good handle. Gets up. Eron Gordon not showing a whole lot. Perry Poindexter has some talent. Would be a good fit for Butler. Tied at 36 at the half.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:53 PM   #3080
AZHOHoops
Thinkin Malcolm will be our leading scorer for BigTen season , sophomore year.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:57 PM   #3081
Jphill1989
Banned
Got a chance to see Malcolm Hill today again. They played a fairly weak Decatur MacArthur team in the second round. Hill's shot wasn't falling in the first half and I think he had 11 going into the locker room. Most of these were on drives or free throws. Second half he started to heat up, hit two threes in the third as well as a couple step back top of the key shots. I will say this with 100% confidence, Hill reminds me of Larry Bird. Now before anyone starts saying anything I mean this by the way they 1. Shoot and 2. How soft the ball comes out. He has almost a one handed release like Larry Bird did and if the ball hits the rim, it doesn't bounce more than 8 inches high because it hits it so soft. His touch is unreal. I think he made 13 or 14 free throws in the game as well.

The best part about Malcolm, In my opinion, is the way he keeps calm during the whole game. Some look at it as he doesn't care or doesn't have that fire but he never gets too up or too down, which is huge at the next level. I think he could play with a little more intensity defensively, otherwise theres not much to nitpick with him. He's 6'7", growing, has a great shot, gets to the rim and makes free throws. What more could you want?
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:25 PM   #3082
Groce SPOT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jphill1989 View Post
Got a chance to see Malcolm Hill today again. They played a fairly weak Decatur MacArthur team in the second round. Hill's shot wasn't falling in the first half and I think he had 11 going into the locker room. Most of these were on drives or free throws. Second half he started to heat up, hit two threes in the third as well as a couple step back top of the key shots. I will say this with 100% confidence, Hill reminds me of Larry Bird. Now before anyone starts saying anything I mean this by the way they 1. Shoot and 2. How soft the ball comes out. He has almost a one handed release like Larry Bird did and if the ball hits the rim, it doesn't bounce more than 8 inches high because it hits it so soft. His touch is unreal. I think he made 13 or 14 free throws in the game as well.

The best part about Malcolm, In my opinion, is the way he keeps calm during the whole game. Some look at it as he doesn't care or doesn't have that fire but he never gets too up or too down, which is huge at the next level. I think he could play with a little more intensity defensively, otherwise theres not much to nitpick with him. He's 6'7", growing, has a great shot, gets to the rim and makes free throws. What more could you want?
We should be recruiting this guy. He sounds like he's going to be a good one.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:31 PM   #3083
IL2000
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy McNulty View Post
Heard again yesterday on the Tay and Jay show, I think it was Sturdy who again said he expected Illinois to be in it in the end with Cliff Alexander. Also said that Kentucky had kind of backed off. I don't know if any one else had heard that but I thought it was kind of interesting. Kind of have to like that two big recruiting guys have both said Illinois will be in it with him in the last week.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/coll...-early-success
Quote:
“He fits their style of play. He's a big, but he's a mobile big. He likes to play up and down. Cliff is very athletic. They like their 4 and 5's to freelance, not stand in the post block to block.”

What also could be a selling point to Alexander is being one of the biggest recruits in the program's history.

“His thing is playing in front of him mom, being close to home and being the face of the program,” Oliver said. “He could be the face of the program at Illinois or DePaul. He could be Illinois' first All-American since Jereme Richmond. You can start your own legacy. You can be the guy from Illinois.”

Last edited by Dan; Dec 28, 2012 at 04:44 PM.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:07 PM   #3084
WashUIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jphill1989 View Post

I was really impressed with Deshawn Munson #35 for ESL. He has holes in his game but he's quite the athlete. Will you be at his semi final match up with Hill?
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:33 PM   #3085
carmelillini
Hyron Edwards is the real deal. Jackrabbit quick, delivers well, thief hands, and 10 pts in 1st qtr.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:48 PM   #3086
SimonHoffman
Just got back from the Collinsville tournament as well. Really enjoyed seeing all the Illini orange in the stands.

It was my first chance seeing Hill in person and he was as good as advertised. The game just seems to come easy to him. Those who described his game as smooth weren't kidding. His outside game is underrated in my opinion. Darreon Reddick was solid. Marcus Bartley from Decatur MacArthur has talent but seemed to be frustrated all game. Needs to bulk up as well.

Stayed for the ESL-Oakville game too. ESL was too physical for Oakville to handle. I came away impressed with Munson although he has a lot of work to do on his jumper. Oakville had a 6'11" kid albeit rather thin, Austin Gillmann, who got pushed around pretty easily.

Not gonna be able to attend tomorrow's games but looking forward to hearing the results. Belleville East-ESL should be a good one.

Last edited by SimonHoffman; Dec 28, 2012 at 05:57 PM.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:59 PM   #3087
PeoriaIllini1
I hope we can find a diamond in the rough Karl Malone power foward type. I wonder if there are amy out there. I doubt he was highly rated going to la tech. We so need a big body enforcer with a game
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:52 PM   #3088
BlockI
Banned
Love hearing the positive vibe with Cliff A!!!!
Old Dec 28, 2012, 07:06 PM   #3089
miketherevelator
First post.

Proviso East vs Benet at Proviso West on High School Cube. They just announced Groce is in the gym. 4 teams still playing -- Bogan, Morgan Park, Stevenson, Maine South. I'm assuming he's checking out Brunson, maybe
Luwane Pipkins of Bogan.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 07:09 PM   #3090
Kramer116
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketherevelator View Post
First post.

Proviso East vs Benet at Proviso West on High School Cube. They just announced Groce is in the gym. 4 teams still playing -- Bogan, Morgan Park, Stevenson, Maine South. I'm assuming he's checking out Brunson, maybe
Luwane Pipkins of Bogan.
Welcome.

Also seeing jalen Brunson of Stevenson I'm sure.

"I do want to address something. I understand there was an article written about Illinois basketball being put in it's place. I'm going to tell you what place it's in. It's in a great place. That's what place it's in.... So if anyone wants to know what place Illinois college hoops is in right now, it's in a great place. Not a good place. A great place" - JFG
Old Dec 28, 2012, 07:25 PM   #3091
carmelillini
Edwards scores 35, including a last minute steal & layup to lock it up for East Chicago. Definitely a top tier PG to keep an eye on.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 07:26 PM   #3092
HoopCity
Originally Posted by Jphill1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groce SPOT View Post
We should be recruiting this guy. He sounds like he's going to be a good one.

I think he has already committed to the ILLINI ??

Old Dec 28, 2012, 07:41 PM   #3093
MitchP1
Link below is the Simeon vs Bloomington game being played now
http://www.highschoolcube.com/event/...ay-tour-303031

Centennial vs Elgin play at 8:15
http://www.highschoolcube.com/event/...in-high-303233
Old Dec 28, 2012, 08:00 PM   #3094
Kramer116
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeoriaIllini1 View Post
I hope we can find a diamond in the rough Karl Malone power foward type. I wonder if there are amy out there. I doubt he was highly rated going to la tech. We so need a big body enforcer with a game
I guess I'd rather just have Cliff...

"I do want to address something. I understand there was an article written about Illinois basketball being put in it's place. I'm going to tell you what place it's in. It's in a great place. That's what place it's in.... So if anyone wants to know what place Illinois college hoops is in right now, it's in a great place. Not a good place. A great place" - JFG
Old Dec 28, 2012, 08:14 PM   #3095
80sBelongToTheIllini
Just turned this on (Simeon)

A future Illini highlight tape, while I watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchP1 View Post

Old Dec 28, 2012, 08:15 PM   #3096
midastouch11
Jaylon Tate has been playing very well for Simeon tonight. Doing a great job handling the ball, scoring at the rim, getting steals and setting up teammates. He has to gain some strength and further work on his outside shot but he could be a nice player for Groce and co. sooner than later. Don't mind having the ball in his hands when Abrams needs a blow next year.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 08:28 PM   #3097
80sBelongToTheIllini
Kendrick Nunn....

Wow!!! What dunking ability!!!
Old Dec 28, 2012, 08:29 PM   #3098
Dreamteam05
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchP1 View Post

That it not finke's team FYI.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 08:36 PM   #3099
80sBelongToTheIllini
Jaylon Tate...

just checked out. Announcer said 18 points. He has a ton of assists too. I'm really impressed. Tate could be a steal.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 08:37 PM   #3100
IlliniRunIn07
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sBelongToTheIllini View Post
Wow!!! What dunking ability!!!
The back to back dunks were verrrrry nice, especially that first one. It was an absolute poster. I have to imagine it turns up on a highlight clip somewhere.
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »