Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread

Closed Thread

Old Jan 13, 2013, 03:19 PM   #3926
chief3469
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoopCity View Post
Can some one please explain the ILLINI policy on scholarships. Can a scholarship given by a previous coach be revoked by then new coach ?

When or can scholarships be revoked ??
Scholarships are awarded yearly. So, a kid can be on scholarship this year and the coaching staff can choose to not renew it for next year.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 03:41 PM   #3927
HeartofaChampion
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartofaChampion View Post
JG has said he likes scoring PGs, more like CGs who can create for themselves and for others. Main criteria: ability to drive and score, dish and kick out on O and play tough on-ball defense on D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdonsbach View Post
Who is also on pace to be 4th all time in assists. I think Groce likes a little of both if I do say so myself.
Glad to see we actually agree, and BTF was actually saying the same thing.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 04:30 PM   #3928
illini ri0t
Banned
I think the point I was trying to make got lost somewhere. A guard that will facilitate FIRST. All the guards i previously mentioned can all score, but look to create opportunities to score first. Our current team is near the bottom of division I in assists. Getting another guy that would rather take the ball himself most of the time isn't what i think we need at the 1 spot. Nothing agaisnt Lyle, but he's a score first kinda guy.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 04:36 PM   #3929
HeartofaChampion
Quote:
Originally Posted by illini ri0t View Post
I think the point I was trying to make got lost somewhere. A guard that will facilitate FIRST. All the guards i previously mentioned can all score, but look to create opportunities to score first. Our current team is near the bottom of division I in assists. Getting another guy that would rather take the ball himself most of the time isn't what i think we need at the 1 spot. Nothing agaisnt Lyle, but he's a score first kinda guy.
Lyle does both. Yes, he scores a lot. That's what star players do in HS. He also creates for others a lot. He repeatedly racks up double digits in assists game after game. He's a spectacular playmaker, for himself and others. Surround him in college with a solid post scorer, strong scorers on the wings, he'll facilitate and score nicely. There's a reason JG is hot after him. Lyle has the talent to be an instant star at PG/CG who could lift our program to new heights as a frosh.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 04:42 PM   #3930
illini ri0t
Banned
Quote:
Lyle does both. Yes, he scores a lot. That's what star players do in HS. He also creates for others a lot. He repeatedly racks up double digits in assists game after game. He's a spectacular playmaker, for himself and others. Surround him in college with a solid post scorer, strong scorers on the wings, he'll facilitate and score nicely. There's a reason JG is hot after him. Lyle has the talent to be an instant star at PG/CG who could lift our program to new heights as a frosh.
Maybe you're right, how much is Groce on him? It does seem L'ville has him at the moment. Way to early to tell though.

Cliff would be the key acquirement in my opinion. When was the last time we had a guy as aggressive as he looks around the rim?
Old Jan 13, 2013, 05:13 PM   #3931
BrooksTaylorFan
Banned
Quote:
+1. HOC is right on. Also, what he does in high school and what he is projected to do in college are two different things. I look at Lyle as more of a Derrick Rose type of PG and who wouldn't want a kid like that on there team?
Old Jan 13, 2013, 05:26 PM   #3932
BrooksTaylorFan
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by illini ri0t View Post
Maybe you're right, how much is Groce on him? It does seem L'ville has him at the moment. Way to early to tell though.

Cliff would be the key acquirement in my opinion. When was the last time we had a guy as aggressive as he looks around the rim?
Louisville landed 3 PG's and a top SG in 2013 & 2014. (see my earlier post) Lyle would have a lot of competition for minutes early on. And as far as I know, Rozier is still committed to Louisville unless someone else knows different?
Old Jan 13, 2013, 05:36 PM   #3933
cjcastan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooksTaylorFan View Post
Louisville landed 3 PG's and a top SG in 2013 & 2014. (see my earlier post) Lyle would have a lot of competition for minutes early on. And as far as I know, Rozier is still committed to Louisville unless someone else knows different?
According to Scout he's signed LOI

link

also here

Last edited by cjcastan; Jan 13, 2013 at 05:39 PM.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 06:15 PM   #3934
BrooksTaylorFan
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcastan View Post
According to Scout he's signed LOI

link

also here
Thanks. I had not heard anything other than Rozier to Louisville until the other poster said that.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 06:40 PM   #3935
Bailey
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief3469 View Post
Scholarships are awarded yearly. So, a kid can be on scholarship this year and the coaching staff can choose to not renew it for next year.
And it can be viewed by some (raises hand) as bad form. Also, I imagine there might be some long term repercussions if it's done to a CPL kid....for example...DeLasalle.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 06:47 PM   #3936
OrangeAndBlue217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
And it can be viewed by some (raises hand) as bad form. Also, I imagine there might be some long term repercussions if it's done to a CPL kid....for example...DeLasalle.
Would I be wrong if I said De La Salle is not a CPL school?
Old Jan 13, 2013, 06:51 PM   #3937
Bailey
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeAndBlue217 View Post
Would I be wrong if I said De La Salle is not a CPL school?
Nope, you'd be spot on. Chicago Catholic League. My mistake.

EDIT: But the point is essentially the same
Old Jan 13, 2013, 07:03 PM   #3938
Indicchief
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief3469 View Post
Just to be clear, THAT is not just an ILLINI policy. It is an universal one and more than likely followed by the UoI in most if not all sports - like anyone else.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 07:06 PM   #3939
OrangeAndBlue217
Quote:
Nope, you'd be spot on. Chicago Catholic League. My mistake.

EDIT: But the point is essentially the same
I thought so but yes I definitely see what you are saying. The thought had crossed my mind as well.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 07:07 PM   #3940
TCTORNADO
I thought I read that 8 B1G schools including Illinois were making Football scholarships 4 year guaranteed. Could BB be far behind?? Certain conditions of course have to be met.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 07:08 PM   #3941
Indicchief
Banned
Quote:
Depends on how one interprets "renew". A coach could unceremoniously toss a kid out or more than likely it may be that the staff and the kid agree to part ways with the staff helping the kid land in a better situation.

I feel that this staff is on far better terms with the HS coaches and under the current circumstances it may not be viewed badly. We will have to wait and see.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 07:08 PM   #3942
OrangeAndBlue217
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCTORNADO View Post
I thought I read that 8 B1G schools including Illinois were making Football scholarships 4 year guaranteed. Could BB be far behind??
I think I heard something along those lines. For some reason I want to say that Wisky has already given some out?
Old Jan 13, 2013, 09:42 PM   #3943
illbasketfan
Can someone find any info on Tommy Hamilton jr. from IMG. maybe stats, pics or video. Don't rule this kid out I know he had a visit last week at Depaul but ILL is in the need for a post guy!!!
Old Jan 13, 2013, 09:47 PM   #3944
OrangeAndBlue217
Quote:
Originally Posted by illbasketfan View Post
Can someone find any info on Tommy Hamilton jr. from IMG. maybe stats, pics or video. Don't rule this kid out I know he had a visit last week at Depaul but ILL is in the need for a post guy!!!
I heard he was good and then fell off the radar. Maybe he just never progressed like some thought he would.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:04 PM   #3945
HsvIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeAndBlue217 View Post
I heard he was good and then fell off the radar. Maybe he just never progressed like some thought he would.
I read the reason he fell off the radar was because he was injured for almost an entire season.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:13 PM   #3946
Smacko
Quote:
Originally Posted by HsvIllini View Post
I read the reason he fell off the radar was because he was injured for almost an entire season.
The main knock on him seemed to be that he was often injured and had trouble keeping his weight in check. He was definitely an intriguing prospect at one time. It's always possible that a change of scenery has helped him.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:20 PM   #3947
combes
Quote:
Originally Posted by illbasketfan View Post
Hamilton is 2013. We already have a post player recruited for 2013 who is a better player than Hamilton. UI fans who are tired of soft players who don't have a passion for the game would not want him, anyway. Imo
Old Jan 13, 2013, 11:52 PM   #3948
Bailey
Hamilton was an interesting prospect. He has fantastic hands, probably better than any of our current bigs, but so many holes too. No chance he ends up in Orange though.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 11:58 PM   #3949
Bailey
Actually, the forgotten big man target I'm wondering about is Gavin Schilling. He's gotten some pretty eyebrow raising offers. An offer from MSU this past week, with UCLA, Duke and OSU on the trail too. Why did he fall off our radar again?
Old Jan 14, 2013, 01:54 AM   #3950
ChiCityHoops34
Quote:
Actually, the forgotten big man target I'm wondering about is Gavin Schilling. He's gotten some pretty eyebrow raising offers. An offer from MSU this past week, with UCLA, Duke and OSU on the trail too. Why did he fall off our radar again?
he is much more complete than colbert. everyone on this board quit on him way too early, he will be a stud. worst part is it will be in the big 10 against us. Michigan state will be is his likely landing spot

Last edited by ChiCityHoops34; Jan 14, 2013 at 01:58 AM.
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »