Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread

Closed Thread

Old Jan 17, 2013, 05:47 PM   #4201
zoggle101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illiniwek06 View Post
I don't think Thompson was a McD AA, was he? If so, it may have helped that his father was a pro. Also, "excel" may be a bit overstated, but I understand your overall point that rankings don't necessarily disqualify people from making an impact in the NBA.
I was talking about Rosario in the first part of that sentence.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:58 PM   #4202
HoopCity
Why is Austin Colbert not playing ? I thought he had to sit out just one month ??

Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:25 PM   #4203
Foo G
#TeamKickass
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoopCity View Post
Why is Austin Colbert not playing ? I thought he had to sit out just one month ??
His first game back is Saturday.

"I understand there was an article written about Illinois basketball being put in its place. I'm gonna tell you what place it's in; it's in a great place. That's what place it's in." - Chief John Groce
Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:37 AM   #4204
Foo G
#TeamKickass
Where's the Ulis report from the Marian Catholic / Benet Academy game?

Edit: Nevermind. I found one.
A special Tyler Ulis-led Mailbag

"I understand there was an article written about Illinois basketball being put in its place. I'm gonna tell you what place it's in; it's in a great place. That's what place it's in." - Chief John Groce

Last edited by Foo G; Jan 18, 2013 at 09:41 AM.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:52 AM   #4205
BrooksTaylorFan
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo G View Post
Where's the Ulis report from the Marian Catholic / Benet Academy game?

Edit: Nevermind. I found one.
A special Tyler Ulis-led Mailbag
Thanks for sharing, Foo. Put me officially on the Tyler Ulis bandwagon. After watching yet another Illini game with no true PG, I welcome Ulis wiht open arms. You just can't teach the heart and desire that this kid has and looks like he will be a special player in college, despite his height.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:14 AM   #4206
HeartofaChampion
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooksTaylorFan View Post
Thanks for sharing, Foo. Put me officially on the Tyler Ulis bandwagon. After watching yet another Illini game with no true PG, I welcome Ulis wiht open arms. You just can't teach the heart and desire that this kid has and looks like he will be a special player in college, despite his height.
If he's a true PG with the quickness, athleticism and skill set to run JG's O and play good on-ball D, we should offer him. Hard to imagine Lyle coming here.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:20 AM   #4207
Foo G
#TeamKickass
Quote:
Unfortunately, I don't think there's any way it happens short of a big time house cleaning of the current roster.
Unless the staff thinks that Myke Henry's motor will suddenly appear out of nowhere; Ibby will somehow develop post skills required to be a serviceable backup without remaining at the bottom of the depth chart; Devin Langford will magically develop a jump shot and become a legitimate threat on the perimeter; and Mike Shaw will embrace the role of rebounder, defender, and hustle-guy on a consistent basis, I think they need to seriously consider making some personnel overhauls in order to get things headed full-steam in the right direction.
It's becoming clear that guys that signed up to play for Bruce Weber have a different make up and mentality.
Groce needs a roster full of players that can match his intensity level.
I don't think there are many on the roster that can ever even come close.
Does everyone want to wait around for 2+ more years for them to fade away in order to save face, while quality 2014 players that would thrive within the system go elsewhere?

Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:31 AM   #4208
combes
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartofaChampion View Post
If he's a true PG with the quickness, athleticism and skill set to run JG's O and play good on-ball D, we should offer him. Hard to imagine Lyle coming here.
That has always been the question with Ulis. Is he a good enough athlete to play offense and defense at his size in the BT? I think he is. He is not the super athlete or ultra quick, but he is good enough. Plus he just has a knack at what to do in situations.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:48 AM   #4209
HeartofaChampion
Quote:
Originally Posted by combes View Post
That has always been the question with Ulis. Is he a good enough athlete to play offense and defense at his size in the BT? I think he is. He is not the super athlete or ultra quick, but he is good enough. Plus he just has a knack at what to do in situations.
If he could be an effective PG in JG's system, hopefully we'll offer him if it's not too late with him. It's becoming more and more clear that JG's O is predicated on always having 2 guys on the floor who can create off the dribble for themselves and others. Lyle seems like a pipe dream at this point especially as the season is going, and I don't see LA Jr. coming to UI, either.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:53 AM   #4210
BrooksTaylorFan
Banned
Quote:
I haven't seen Ulis play in person. The one knock on him that I have heard is that while he is quick by high school standards, some have doubts that he's quick enough to be successful in a high D-1 program along with his height issue. Can anyone who has seen him play recently comment on this?
Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:34 AM   #4211
MitchP1
Another great article on Ullis a lot of people starting to believe

http://ilprepbullseye.com/Ulis_Performance.html
Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:39 AM   #4212
HeartofaChampion
Thanks, Mitch. Some NBA PGs aren't ultra-quick but have great handles, passing, court vision, shooting form and savvy. Same with college. Perhaps TU has the makings of a good PG for UI. Can't afford to whiff on good penetrating PGs in 2014. That'd leave us with 2 PGs for 2014-15, one of whom is struggling to grow into a true PG and one of whom is a 3-star PG in HS.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:51 AM   #4213
pckldr
The more I watch the ineptness of our team when it comes to passing, catching, and dribbling the ball, the more I feel Ulis might become an option. Haven't had the opportunity to watch him in person, but did listen to his game vs. Lanphier and L Austin. According to the broadcast, he lived in the lane that night,except when guarded by Austin. Possibly he is clever enough with change of pace and angles to be a major contributor at the high D-1 level, the huge caveat is that college recruiters still have reservations about his game. The timing for him to be an Illini just does not look right.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:16 PM   #4214
Hugh Jorgen
Quote:
I haven't seen Ulis play in person. The one knock on him that I have heard is that while he is quick by high school standards, some have doubts that he's quick enough to be successful in a high D-1 program along with his height issue. Can anyone who has seen him play recently comment on this?
I've seen Tyler play, and for comparison sake, I'll ask you to think of Demetrius Jackson one more painful time.

Jackson is quick, but Tyler is quite a bit quicker than Jackson is...not as strong physically, and not as athletic from a jump standpoint right now, but Tyler is both faster (end to end) and quicker (laterally) than Jackson.

Just my humble opinion.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:21 PM   #4215
Indicchief
Whatever, whoever.

We NEED 2 (two) (more) very, very good Point or Combo guards.

Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:25 PM   #4216
Redbirds33333
Consider me on the Ulis bandwagon...After watching multiple clips of him, reading multiple reports over the past 6 months, and a couple games (including the entire game last night)...He's a gamer, clutch, and has a huge heart. I'd love to see him at Illinois.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:41 PM   #4217
HeartofaChampion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jorgen View Post
I've seen Tyler play, and for comparison sake, I'll ask you to think of Demetrius Jackson one more painful time.

Jackson is quick, but Tyler is quite a bit quicker than Jackson is...not as strong physically, and not as athletic from a jump standpoint right now, but Tyler is both faster (end to end) and quicker (laterally) than Jackson.

Just my humble opinion.
Wow. If that's the case, do people think his lack of height is the hold-up for a scholarship offer? If we don't land a good PG in 2014, we could be in a world of hurt for playmakers until 2015-16. Not good.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:47 PM   #4218
Greensboro
Quote:
If we don't land a good PG in 2014, we could be in a world of hurt for playmakers until 2015-16. Not good.
deja vu all over again
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:51 PM   #4219
Greensboro
Obi Enechionyia

Bit confused on priority of another PF in 2014 as well.

found this site that looks interesting, shows offers, with others each school has and is recruiting.

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/obi-enechionyia
Old Jan 18, 2013, 01:01 PM   #4220
RecLeagueHero
Townie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo G View Post
Unfortunately, I don't think there's any way it happens short of a big time house cleaning of the current roster.
Unless the staff thinks that Myke Henry's motor will suddenly appear out of nowhere; Ibby will somehow develop post skills required to be a serviceable backup without remaining at the bottom of the depth chart; Devin Langford will magically develop a jump shot and become a legitimate threat on the perimeter; and Mike Shaw will embrace the role of rebounder, defender, and hustle-guy on a consistent basis, I think they need to seriously consider making some personnel overhauls in order to get things headed full-steam in the right direction.
It's becoming clear that guys that signed up to play for Bruce Weber have a different make up and mentality.
Groce needs a roster full of players that can match his intensity level.
I don't think there are many on the roster that can ever even come close.
Does everyone want to wait around for 2+ more years for them to fade away in order to save face, while quality 2014 players that would thrive within the system go elsewhere?
I sure don't want to wait. And honestly, "Creaning" might be better for all parties. Give these guys a chance to go play somewhere they can actually contribute and let us get the right guys on the roster. Win/win.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 01:12 PM   #4221
Fuhgedaboudit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indicchief View Post
Whatever, whoever.

We NEED 2 (two) (more) very, very good Point or Combo guards.
I agree with you we need 2 PG or combo guards! I highly doubt we land Lyle either so where do we go next?
Old Jan 18, 2013, 01:19 PM   #4222
AzIlliniFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecLeagueHero View Post
I sure don't want to wait. And honestly, "Creaning" might be better for all parties. Give these guys a chance to go play somewhere they can actually contribute and let us get the right guys on the roster. Win/win.
I'm beginning to wonder if this isn't the best route to take. Just inform the guys you don't see fitting into your system that it's time to move on. Do it immediately at the end of the season and bring in the guys you want. Deal with the backlash that will surely come all at once and move forward. Don't drag it out where you have a guy or two this year and someone else next season. Were this to happen I see MyH, MS, & ID being on that list. DL being a RSFR and having higher potential of anyone else in that group I'd be happy to keep. I don't like it, but for Groce to move forward at the pace he'd like to, and what we as fans seem to expect, I think he has to strongly consider this course of action.

And as a side note, I know some would be concerned about our recruits perception of a move like this. They have two options of how to view such a move.

1) I don't want to play for a coach who does that to his players!
or
2) I want to play for a coach who wants to field the best team he possibly can, and does whatever that takes, because that's how you win!

Personally I'd prefer the recruit with attitude #2.

Last edited by AzIlliniFan; Jan 18, 2013 at 01:26 PM.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 01:26 PM   #4223
RecLeagueHero
Townie
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzIlliniFan View Post
I'm beginning to wonder if this isn't the best route to take. Just inform the guys you don't see fitting into your system that it's time to move on. Do it immediately at the end of the season and bring in the guys you want. Deal with the backlash that will surely come all at once and move forward. Don't drag it out where you have a guy or two this year and someone else next season. Were this to happen I see MyH, MS, & ID being on that list. DL being a RSFR and having higher potential of anyone else in that group I'd be happy to keep. I don't like it, but for Groce to move forward at the pace he'd like to, and what we as fans seem to expect, I think he has to strongly consider this course of action
Absolutely. Keeping guys around that aren't going to play isn't fair to anyone.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 02:09 PM   #4224
Hugh Jorgen
Quote:
Wow. If that's the case, do people think his lack of height is the hold-up for a scholarship offer? If we don't land a good PG in 2014, we could be in a world of hurt for playmakers until 2015-16. Not good.
I can only imagine that the hold up has been that our staff is looking to knock the ball out of the park on a PG or outstanding SG and thinks it will happen...they thought it would with Ennis, Jackson, or XRM, but it didn't.

That, coupled with Ulis' small stature probably accounts for the lack of interest at this point from most High D-1 teams...but eventually, someone is going to look beyond this kids diminutive size and see that even at 5'9", he has every other attribute that you could ever want in a PG.

Not only does he possess those attributes, but he excels at them consistently and is only going to get better as he matures, and maybe grows.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 02:12 PM   #4225
Hugh Jorgen
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzIlliniFan View Post
I'm beginning to wonder if this isn't the best route to take. Just inform the guys you don't see fitting into your system that it's time to move on. Do it immediately at the end of the season and bring in the guys you want. Deal with the backlash that will surely come all at once and move forward. Don't drag it out where you have a guy or two this year and someone else next season. Were this to happen I see MyH, MS, & ID being on that list. DL being a RSFR and having higher potential of anyone else in that group I'd be happy to keep. I don't like it, but for Groce to move forward at the pace he'd like to, and what we as fans seem to expect, I think he has to strongly consider this course of action.

And as a side note, I know some would be concerned about our recruits perception of a move like this. They have two options of how to view such a move.

1) I don't want to play for a coach who does that to his players!
or
2) I want to play for a coach who wants to field the best team he possibly can, and does whatever that takes, because that's how you win!

Personally I'd prefer the recruit with attitude #2.
I personally think it would be a BIG mistake to include Henry on that list...the kid can flat out score and rebounds really well for his size. Biggest issue for Henry right now is lackadaisical defense, which can be fixed. I don't think you ever chase off someone w/ his scoring ability. He is the player that I would see blossoming under this staff by next year.
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »