Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Pregame: Illinois at Nebraska, Tuesday, January 22nd, 7:30pm CT, BTN

Closed Thread

Old Jan 20, 2013, 04:27 PM   #76
Groundhogday
This is where Groce earns his salary. He has to find a way to get inside their heads and get these guys to play better. The team has enough weaknesses that it would be a struggle to make the tournament even if we were playing our best, but for the program as a whole it is critical that we put a competitive team on the floor from here on out.

Old Jan 20, 2013, 04:30 PM   #77
finalfour05
Quote:
Originally Posted by classof2016 View Post
This game is big for the team to exorcise their demons from last year and stop the slide. They can still salvage a good season if they get over their mental hump and stop being terrified of another collapse. You can see it in their eyes. They're scared. They need this one to stop another epic collapse and give these guys some confidence.
Has anyone else notices that DJ and BP3 chuck up half court shots immediately before they head to the locker room? It's absolutely ridiculous. And yes, it seems as if they are playing scared. They need to come out against Nebraska the way they came out against USC in Maui. Run the floor, do Andre Almeida a favor :laugh:
Old Jan 20, 2013, 05:03 PM   #78
CaliforniaIllini
49ers took care of business, now it's the Illini's turn. Let's get out there and play with fire and heart.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 05:27 PM   #79
troydove
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaIllini View Post
49ers took care of business, now it's the Illini's turn. Let's get out there and play with fire and heart.
9'er fan since 71 YAHOO go ILLINI
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:00 AM   #80
IlliniFan1988
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by classof2016 View Post
This game is big for the team to exorcise their demons from last year and stop the slide. They can still salvage a good season if they get over their mental hump and stop being terrified of another collapse. You can see it in their eyes. They're scared. They need this one to stop another epic collapse and give these guys some confidence.
Yep. Playing scared will get you crushed. I think we come in with a chip on our shoulders and win one.

Huskers 56
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:39 AM   #81
orangeBlue
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteakSandwich View Post
If we lose to Neb, UM, and MSU then the season is lost and we need to start preparing for next year. That means more playing time for the younger guys. It will become clear that yeah the seniors will play but shave of 10 mins a game off each of them. We need to get these guys ready for next year.

Of course the opposite of this argument, is that the players on the bench probably are no better on the floor, and giving the existing seniors massive experience over the last 4 years does not seem to have helped. much.

It is the curse of Chief Illiniwek.

How else can you explain it? Paul and Richardson were well-regarded players coming out of high school, and look what has happened. Griff was a solid player coming out of high school, and look what has happened. The epic collapse of the basketball team last year, and the impending demise this year can only be attributed to the supernatural. We should of thought twice before we cast the Chief out on that cold night in February 2007, we have only ourselves to blame. We are indeed cursed. The Chief has been watching. Darkness has descended over the U or I Athletic program.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:48 AM   #82
pizzaman
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeBlue View Post
We should of thought twice before we cast the Chief out on that cold night in February 2007, we have only ourselves to blame. We are indeed cursed. The Chief has been watching. Darkness has descended over the U or I Athletic program.
I agree. It's time for a team sweat lodge and peace pipe with the Chief!
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:54 AM   #83
orangeBlue
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielb927 View Post
True statement because we've forced the highest TO% on defense in conference games this year. We're 8th in TO% given up on offense, which probably cancels out to a pretty good margin in most every game.
The 8th on turnovers given up on offense, could be in part, because we do not pass the ball. Anyone watch Mizz-Fla this past weekend. compare Florida' passing with our almost non-existent passing.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:01 AM   #84
orangeBlue
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I've got Mike Latulip exploding for 30 off the bench.

Final: Nebraska 65 Illinois 32
Unfortunately, Latulips's superlative effort, is surpassed by Tyler Griffey's first triple-double, as he pours through 31, an snares 16 rebounds.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 04:13 PM   #85
Ransom Stoddard
Ordained Dudeist Priest
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeBlue View Post
Unfortunately, Latulips's superlative effort, is surpassed by Tyler Griffey's first triple-double, as he pours through 31, an snares 16 rebounds.
What's the other double?
Old Jan 21, 2013, 04:42 PM   #86
Calvin
I honestly don't like our odds of winning this game. Ask yourself this:

Did you think you'd lose to a really bad Purdue team?
How good is Wiscy this year? Not so good? Well you just lost to them by 23
How good is NW this year? Bad? Well, you weren't even competitive against them...at home
So the question is just how bad is Nebraska? No question they're a bottom dweller in the BIG. But this is a home game for them, and we were blown out by them last year under similar circumstances.

As a betting man, if we're favored by even a point, I'd take Nebraska.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:18 PM   #87
Illinois5
Banned
This one is a must have...

Of course we've said that about nearly all our conference games, but if we can't get the bleeding stopped soon, we're done. We may already be.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:18 PM   #88
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Game 20 Notes: Illinois at Nebraska

TV Announcers: Kevin Kugler (Play-By-Play), Eddie Johnson (Analyst).

http://www.fightingillini.com/sports...012113aac.html
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:50 PM   #89
jmat
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransom Stoddard View Post
What's the other double?
turnovers
just kidding im a huge griffey fan
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:52 PM   #90
Illinois5
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmat View Post
turnovers
Zing! :laugh:
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:11 PM   #91
WizardBill
Illini optimist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin View Post
I honestly don't like our odds of winning this game. Ask yourself this:

Did you think you'd lose to a really bad Purdue team?
How good is Wiscy this year? Not so good? Well you just lost to them by 23
How good is NW this year? Bad? Well, you weren't even competitive against them...at home
So the question is just how bad is Nebraska? No question they're a bottom dweller in the BIG. But this is a home game for them, and we were blown out by them last year under similar circumstances.

As a betting man, if we're favored by even a point, I'd take Nebraska.
I will take your bet all day. You bring up what you think are good points. Let me as, you this:

Did you think we would beat a very solid Gonzaga team IN Washington?
Did you think we would win the Maui invitational?
Did you think we would spank a very solid Butler team by 17?
Did you think we would torch a talented Ohio State team by 19?

So, the real question is, which Illini team shows up? We have proven we can beat anyone. We have proven we can lose to most anyone.

I am taking the Illini AND all YOUR money!

Please return Dead and Alive to Edwin Schrodinger
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:26 PM   #92
mdkIllini15
In my mind this had to just be a stop the bleeding game. It doesn't matter if it's a hawaii type game where we barely sneak out a victory, at the end of the day if we win by 2 or 50 we just need to come out of this game with some positive momentum for the rest of the year. A tournament bid isn't going to be easy, but it all has to start with a win tomorrow night. go illini!
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:57 PM   #93
trevdv
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardBill View Post
So, the real question is, which Illini team shows up? We have proven we can beat anyone. We have proven we can lose to most anyone.
For last year's team, I had this saying that we could "play with anyone, but lost to everyone." We played good teams like Michigan, Ohio State, Michigan State, etc. tight, but rarely won one of those games. This season, the saying (so far) is "We can beat anyone and lose to anyone." I like it better than "lose to everyone," but you do have to wonder which Illini team will show up tomorrow.

Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:50 AM   #94
paxton
We have a well recruited senior class and the rest of the team is good. Coach Groce and his staff are good. They all know what to do. The Fighting Illini will beat Nebraska handily. If they don't, not a single player or coach will blame Weber.

UI 67
NE 58
Old Jan 22, 2013, 03:21 AM   #95
Brillini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinois5 View Post
This one is a must have...

Of course we've said that about nearly all our conference games, but if we can't get the bleeding stopped soon, we're done. We may already be.
I didn't start thinking "must have" until before the NW game. I have since convinced myself that this is the one now. A loss in this one and we can throw all the "must have" business out the window in terms of NCAA aspirations. Of course mathematically (along w/ an improbable B1G tourney title) we would still have a shot, but any reasonable person knows that a 1-5 start in this conference ain't gonna cut it (not that a 1-4 start is cutting it). Especially, not coming off of back-to-back losses against two of the weakest teams we'll see in the B1G.

A win in this one doesn't assure us of anything, but it at least gives some hope going forward that we might be able to turn this thing back around again. End the skid!!!!
Old Jan 22, 2013, 06:08 AM   #96
JoeJ
Calvin, generally agree with your points, and I never risk money on the Illini. I think we will win this game, but I think part of it is I feel like the season is over if we can't pull this out. Some wishful thimking and hope. If we lose this one, we won't win any of the next five unless we get to the point where the good teams totally overlook us.
GO ILLINI! Hail to the
Old Jan 22, 2013, 07:55 AM   #97
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Can Illini regain magic?

"It's their meeting, it's their team," Groce said after practice in Champaign on Monday. "Obviously they care. They've cared for a long time. That doesn't change just because we've lost some games.

"For the seniors, their deal is winding down. They want to get the most out of it. It's really good that they're taking responsibility. The fact that they've gotten together to hold each other more accountable, that's a great sign."

Tupper
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:15 AM   #98
scubadunk
If I was Groce I would have made the team watch the Gonzaga-Butler game to see how well two teams they beat are playing. Then I would have had them watch the game film from when we beat those two teams to remind them of what they were doing when things were going well. Nothing can bring back confidence quicker than reminding everyone of how well they have played and what they did to beat those two teams that are now in everyones top 10. Dwell on the positives of how they know they can play and how they have beaten top teams.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:51 AM   #99
lovedachief
Illini 71

Nebraska 66

DJ will breakout of his slump and all three guards should be able to get down the lane and score and not have to settle for 3's.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:33 AM   #100
IlliniRyan13
Nice do we get to hear EJ call him Grow-Chee all game again??

IL- 64
NE- 60
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »