Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:49 AM   #4651
midastouch11
midastouch11's Avatar
Location: New York, New York
Posts: 1,651
A tweet just said Illinois has genuine interest in juco guard Desmond Lee from New Mexico JC. This kid looks like he could play.





Quote:
Illini Eye Juco Stud Desmond Lee

How did it go with Illinois?

"They are really interested in me. The head coach called me and said that he wants to get out here to see me and talk to me to face-to-face. They want me to know they are really serious about me."

http://hoopsillini.hoops247.com/inde...ud-desmond-lee

Last edited by Dan; Jan 25, 2013 at 10:06 AM. Reason: embedded video
midastouch11 is offline
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:53 AM   #4652
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Location: People's Republic of Massachusetts
Posts: 8,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeandBlue4eva View Post
Why do people on here keep suggesting we should not expect much out of the freshman coming in? I know there is no 5 stars, but Nunn and Hill are top 100 players. Is it unreasonable to expect these guys can contribute a decent amount? We have a top 25 class coming in that means we should see production. Keep in mind that it's not like I'm thinking they should be all-Americans, but why exactly are we lowering expectations?
There is statistical data that suggests freshmen who are ranked outside the top 25 are far less likely to make an immediate impact compared to those ranked inside that number. We've got a nice class, but probably no one that would be expected to have an impact next year. Not saying it won't happen, just that it's not likely.
WesterveltVictoryCigar is online now
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:54 AM   #4653
Kramer116
Kramer116's Avatar
Location: Chicago
Posts: 11,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeandBlue4eva View Post
Why do people on here keep suggesting we should not expect much out of the freshman coming in? I know there is no 5 stars, but Nunn and Hill are top 100 players. Is it unreasonable to expect these guys can contribute a decent amount? We have a top 25 class coming in that means we should see production. Keep in mind that it's not like I'm thinking they should be all-Americans, but why exactly are we lowering expectations?
I tend to be on the "optimistic side" when it comes to recruits too, but...:

It depends on your definition of decent amount.

I just want to see them become competent backup rotational players. Find one or two things they do really well and maximize that while working on their flaws.

__________________
@TomCrean: I am doing great. I have been thinking about you alot since last weekend. A whole lot. How are you doing?

"I do want to address something. I understand there was an article written about Illinois basketball being put in it's place. I'm going to tell you what place it's in. It's in a great place. That's what place it's in.... So if anyone wants to know what place Illinois college hoops is in right now, it's in a great place. Not a good place. A great place" - JFG
Kramer116 is offline
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:59 AM   #4654
jcgoldie
jcgoldie's Avatar
Location: Alton, IL
Posts: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesterveltVictoryCigar View Post
There is statistical data that suggests freshmen who are ranked outside the top 25 are far less likely to make an immediate impact compared to those ranked inside that number. We've got a nice class, but probably no one that would be expected to have an impact next year. Not saying it won't happen, just that it's not likely.
+1

It isnt just this board but almost all fan sites I read which seem to overhype the impact of incoming freshmen. You could count on one hand or two the number of freshmen over the past 20 years who have started and made more than a marginal impact on the success of the team. It just takes all but the most stellar HS players at least a year to adjust to the speed and physicality of the college game.
jcgoldie is offline
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:06 AM   #4655
Hugh Jorgen
Banned
Posts: 1,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Late View Post
Google, its a wonderful thing...

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/several



To be fair to Westervelt, Merriam-Webster has two definitions, one that says more than one, and one that says more than 2. However, I personally wouldn't say several if I was thinking two people in my head.

Sorry for the off-topicness, but I figured I would clear it all up here and now. :focus:

Merriam Webster for "Couple" = "an indefinite small number"
Merriam Webster for "Few"= "consisting of a small number"
Merriam Webster for "Several"="indefinite number more than two, fewer than many"

That ambiguity was why I tossed out my Grandfather's time tested methodology.
Hugh Jorgen is offline
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:19 AM   #4656
zpfled
zpfled's Avatar
Location: Morton, IL
Posts: 3,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJim20 View Post
This is how I see things happening as you described

Calipari doesn't get that five star hs player in the spring? Convince a star at a mediocre school to transfer. Who might have transferred after Weber left? Enough to derail a Program for years?
Yeah, but that doesn't happen.
zpfled is offline
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:27 AM   #4657
Hugh Jorgen
Banned
Posts: 1,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by midastouch11 View Post
A tweet just said Illinois has genuine interest in juco guard Desmond Lee from New Mexico JC. This kid looks like he could play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFZhDjfy7Rk
I've actually seen Desmond play before, and he is a VERY impressive SG.
I'm often hesitant of any JC players, but this guy is a physical specimen, (think Mbakwe's build in a guard) and extremely athletic.

He is solid all the way around...plays hard all the time, shoots the ball very well, handles/passes very well, and plays tough man defense.

IMHO, would be a VERY solid addition to any team, and could flourish under Groce's style of play in the B1G.
Hugh Jorgen is offline
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:33 AM   #4658
illiniobserver22
illiniobserver22's Avatar
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by midastouch11 View Post
A tweet just said Illinois has genuine interest in juco guard Desmond Lee from New Mexico JC. This kid looks like he could play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFZhDjfy7Rk
Very intrigued by this kid. Looks like he would slot right into Brandon Paul's role of a combo with shooting and driving ability. Love how he finishes at the rim.
illiniobserver22 is online now
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:39 AM   #4659
illiniobserver22
illiniobserver22's Avatar
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by midastouch11 View Post
A tweet just said Illinois has genuine interest in juco guard Desmond Lee from New Mexico JC. This kid looks like he could play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFZhDjfy7Rk
Here's the recruiting update where he says he talked with Groce and Illinois is very interested.

http://hoopsjuco.hoops247.com/index....lks-recruiting

And here's his stat line on the season:

22.1 PPG, 46.0 FG%, 36.9 3P%, 78.8 FT%, 5.1 RPG, 2.1 APG

per http://stats.njcaa.org/sports/mbkb/2...desmondleek19v
illiniobserver22 is online now
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:45 AM   #4660
scubadunk
scubadunk's Avatar
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by illiniobserver22 View Post
Very intrigued by this kid. Looks like he would slot right into Brandon Paul's role of a combo with shooting and driving ability. Love how he finishes at the rim.
Dont understand the interest personally. We have two freshman shooting guards coming in and we have more glaring holes to fill such as PG. Plus we currently have no space for him so is someone getting creaned. If Groce is gonna crean someone I would like to see if for someone like Lyle or Alexander.
scubadunk is offline
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:46 AM   #4661
OskeeWowWow
OskeeWowWow's Avatar
Posts: 142
Sorry if been discussed already, but to any and all Orange Krush members on this board, please welcome Jaquan Lyle to the "House of Paign" this Sunday. He's visiting UI to watch the Illini vs Mich(#2) game. This kid (#16 kid in 2014 class) is a game changing PG (think Frankie meet D-Will, and even though he's a five star from IN (not much luck w/ any IN player), we need him walking out of the Hall feeling like "Damn, I want to play there".

Hopefully the Illini can upset the the possible #1 team in the country on Sunday evening, and Lyle sees the future of Illini basketball with him as an immediate impact.
OskeeWowWow is offline
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:04 AM   #4662
illiniobserver22
illiniobserver22's Avatar
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadunk View Post
Dont understand the interest personally. We have two freshman shooting guards coming in and we have more glaring holes to fill such as PG. Plus we currently have no space for him so is someone getting creaned. If Groce is gonna crean someone I would like to see if for someone like Lyle or Alexander.
Because I think there is a need for guys who can handle the ball and shoot next year. Of our starting guards next year (Abrams, Rice, Bertrand) only one is a threat from 3 (Bert) and only one is going to play any kind of point (Abrams). Tate ideally won't have to play right away, and Nunn and Hill aren't going to be plus ball handlers.

And I think if Lyle and Alexander want to come here there will be rides for them. We have a bunch of guys who aren't playing very much who could choose to leave by 2014.
illiniobserver22 is online now
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:12 AM   #4663
DaytonIllini
DaytonIllini's Avatar
Posts: 19,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadunk View Post
Dont understand the interest personally. We have two freshman shooting guards coming in and we have more glaring holes to fill such as PG. Plus we currently have no space for him so is someone getting creaned. If Groce is gonna crean someone I would like to see if for someone like Lyle or Alexander.
I agree that there are more pressing needs next year but here are a few reasons why we might be interested in a guy that can shoot from distance.

Because we have few threats from 3 point range next year. Because Joe doesn't have a killer mentality and we don't know how he'll respond to being the focus of the offense. Because Hill and Nunn would be freshmen. Because we don't know how Rice will adapt to B1G play. Because Groce has a limited amount of time to win.

__________________
No nation can preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare.
-- James Madison
DaytonIllini is offline
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:15 AM   #4664
midastouch11
midastouch11's Avatar
Location: New York, New York
Posts: 1,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadunk View Post
Dont understand the interest personally. We have two freshman shooting guards coming in and we have more glaring holes to fill such as PG. Plus we currently have no space for him so is someone getting creaned. If Groce is gonna crean someone I would like to see if for someone like Lyle or Alexander.
Think Marcus Denmon from Missouri last year. You don't think a player like that could make Illinois better for the next two years? And as many people have stated, don't worry about rides for Lyle or Alexander, they'll be created if need be.
midastouch11 is offline
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:15 AM   #4665
illiniobserver22
illiniobserver22's Avatar
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonIllini View Post
I agree that there are more pressing needs next year but here are a few reasons why we might be interested in a guy that can shoot from distance.

Because we have few threats from 3 point range next year. Because Joe doesn't have a killer mentality and we don't know how he'll respond to being the focus of the offense. Because Hill and Nunn would be freshmen. Because we don't know how Rice will adapt to B1G play. Because Groce has a limited amount of time to win.
That maybe the most important. Groce is going to do whatever he can to make the next two teams as good as possible before he really can get a full roster of his own players in 2015, and I don't blame him.
illiniobserver22 is online now
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:49 AM   #4666
Foo G
Can bring the ball up
Foo G's Avatar
Location: Kirksville, MO
Posts: 4,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by morif View Post
I think that Tate will be more valuabe to the Iliini than Nunn. Tate has a better shooting ability and will get minutes rght away. Nunn, on the other hand, I don't see as a good shooting 2 guard. He will be a good defender before he is a good scorer IMO. I for one am very happy to have Tate. I think he will surprise a lot of people! It really is hard to know how good Nunn is because Parker is the main cog for Simeon. The entire offense revolves around Parker and until lately, Simeon did not play as a team. It was more like watching street ball. They seem to be settling in somewhat and running an offense most of the time.....The guy I want to see the Illini land is DJ Williams. That kid will be a superstar!
Nunn is clearly the better athlete and just needs some minor refinements in order to become a big-time college player.
Groce & Co. will get his shooting straightened out over the summer.
He already has good mechanics, but just needs to iron out some footwork issues and tendency to float and fade.
Nunn's biggest impact will be on the defensive end.
He is a really talented player with a high basketball IQ that is OK with playing a supporting role -- Simeon, Team USA, etc. -- and doing things it takes to win.
Tate will probably be the best passer and ball-handler on the team, but still has a long way to go with his shot and strength.
Defense might also be more of a challenge for him than most anticipate.
He'll have to contain penetration from both quicker and stronger guards and learn to work around screens off the ball.
If he can do that, he stands a great chance to be a valuable contributor in a reserve role.
Both of these guys seem fearless and willing to work.
That will go a long way toward defining the persona of the team over the next several(?) years.

__________________
Be the person your dog thinks you are.

"I understand there was an article written about Illinois basketball being put in its place. I'm gonna tell you what place it's in; it's in a great place. That's what place it's in." - Chief John Groce
Foo G is online now
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:01 AM   #4667
Cool Hand Luke
Founder, Mike Thomas Fan Club
Cool Hand Luke's Avatar
Location: Surrounded by Cornfields
Posts: 1,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by midastouch11 View Post
A tweet just said Illinois has genuine interest in juco guard Desmond Lee from New Mexico JC. This kid looks like he could play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFZhDjfy7Rk
That guy is a ball of energy. Sign me up.

He could be a guy that could come in and give the program the shot in the arm it needs. We have so many passive guys. We need some fireplugs.

I think Rice and Nunn can bring some of that. We need some more.

__________________
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. We keep swinging here. That's just kind of who we are. We swing." - John Groce
Cool Hand Luke is offline
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:07 AM   #4668
Rich
JFG Fan Club
Posts: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by midastouch11 View Post
A tweet just said Illinois has genuine interest in juco guard Desmond Lee from New Mexico JC. This kid looks like he could play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFZhDjfy7Rk
Wow I love his energy in this video.
Rich is offline
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:09 AM   #4669
Illini70math
Posts: 2,077
If we have an opening for next season, he would be a good candidate. Comparing him to Brandon Paul is not taking level of competition into account, but he is a better ballhandler than BP.

On the other hand, this quote from an article about him caught me eye.

"My weaknesses are off the ball defending sometimes I get caught watching.

Sounds like he would fit right in!



http://hoopsjuco.hoops247.com/index....lks-recruiting
Illini70math is offline
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:17 AM   #4670
IlliniJim20
Posts: 1,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by zpfled View Post
Yeah, but that doesn't happen.
I see your point, but substitute another blue blood program for Calipari UNC loses five star sg to UK, convince a transfer ...
IlliniJim20 is offline
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:22 AM   #4671
illiniguy25
Posts: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illini70math View Post
If we have an opening for next season, he would be a good candidate. Comparing him to Brandon Paul is not taking level of competition into account, but he is a better ballhandler than BP.

On the other hand, this quote from an article about him caught me eye.

"My weaknesses are off the ball defending sometimes I get caught watching.

Sounds like he would fit right in!



http://hoopsjuco.hoops247.com/index....lks-recruiting
I like the fact he can identify his weakness. Im not sure that our current players would be as honest. Also I think with Groce's attention to detail and high motor he will improve that type of weakness.

Bring him in and get some people out that don't care about winning. Time to get back to 20 wins a season and being tops in the conference again.
illiniguy25 is online now
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:06 AM   #4672
illini73
illini73's Avatar
Location: Austin, MN
Posts: 1,142
I like the fact that he can score from outside and driving to the hole. He would fill a need and only tie up a scholarship for two years.

Not sure how Nunn or Hill would feel about it, but if we go with a small lineup at times they could all be on the floor at the same time.
illini73 is offline
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:11 AM   #4673
Warriors1994
Posts: 2,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by illini73 View Post
I like the fact that he can score from outside and driving to the hole. He would fill a need and only tie up a scholarship for two years.

Not sure how Nunn or Hill would feel about it, but if we go with a small lineup at times they could all be on the floor at the same time.
I think that with we are able to go 10 deep including Hill and Nunn. Now there playing time will go down a little but I like this kid sign me up
Warriors1994 is offline
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:12 AM   #4674
HeartofaChampion
Posts: 11,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
That guy is a ball of energy. Sign me up.

He could be a guy that could come in and give the program the shot in the arm it needs. We have so many passive guys. We need some fireplugs.

I think Rice and Nunn can bring some of that. We need some more.
+1. He's a not a PG but could play some PG when TA is on the bench. Love that he is athletic, quick, strong, attacks the paint, has a good 3-point shot and is aggressive defensively and on the boards. Guessing he'd start from day 1 if he came here and if he's as good as advertised. And he has a ready-made B1G guard's body.
HeartofaChampion is offline
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:15 AM   #4675
HeartofaChampion
Posts: 11,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by illini73 View Post
I like the fact that he can score from outside and driving to the hole. He would fill a need and only tie up a scholarship for two years.

Not sure how Nunn or Hill would feel about it, but if we go with a small lineup at times they could all be on the floor at the same time.
If he's shooting 36.9% from 3-point range this year, he'd fit in well in the 2 spot in JG's O. If he can drive past defenders, he'd give us an added dimension at that spot, too. Sounds like JG thinks he could be a good replacement for DJ with more athleticism and driving ability and potentially as good defensively if he irons out his off-ball defensive issues.
HeartofaChampion is offline
Closed Thread


« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Forum Jump