Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Football

Illinois DL coach Keith Gilmore headed to North Carolina

Old Jan 23, 2013, 08:14 AM   #26
quhawks12
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJJ87 View Post
but unfortunately none of them (with the exception of holdover Gilmore, and perhaps Salem) can coach a lick.
:laugh:
quhawks12 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 08:28 AM   #27
NJJ87
Banned
Quote:
but unfortunately none of them (with the exception of holdover Gilmore, and perhaps Salem) can coach a lick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by quhawks12 View Post
:laugh:
I appreciate the laugh but unfortunately it makes me want to cry.
NJJ87 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 08:46 AM   #28
troyk
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHSIllini32 View Post
Your mistake is thinking it's all about money.
I'm aware. I was just pointing out the error in the post before mine. Beckman absolutely has control over Gilmore's salary, so if Gilmore leaves, it won't be because of salary unless Beckman lets him walk.

Unless of course the Big Ten money is a myth and we have significantly less money laying around for good coaches than North Carolina.
troyk is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:26 AM   #29
Groundhogday
Quote:
UNC has lost 1 coach (not 2, the staff is in tact but with the rumored departure of the DL coach which is the basis for this thread) from an 8-4 team, and he is said to be moving to the SEC. There has been no mass exodus of coaches at Illinois because other than Gilmore, no one wants these guys. (If Gilmore stays, it will truly be a blessing for Illini football, but I'll bet on him leaving). The coaches who have left have gone to: 1. the unemployment line, 2. that DI powerhouse FIU.
So one coach has left UNC and another coach is rumored to be leaving. Once coach has left Illinois and another is rumored to be leaving. Sounds the same to me. I'm sure that most of our coaches could find another job. Most of them love working for Beckman and have no interest in leaving. I know, that doesn't fit your narrative, but how else do you explain why Banks left a very successful Cincy team (where he had a top defense) to work for Beckman at Illinois?

Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:41 PM   #30
Calilama
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanK View Post
Mercilus required a number of double teams last year which allowed Spence to beat his man time after time last year. This year, teams could jam him and he would be taken out of the play.

JB was hurt all year so nothing really to compare there...
You are reaching Ryan
Calilama is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:43 PM   #31
RyanK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calilama View Post
You are reaching Ryan
How is anything I just mentioned reaching? Spence was double teamed all year, which was an easy scouting report especially once JB was injured.

Last edited by RyanK; Jan 23, 2013 at 12:49 PM.
RyanK is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 01:52 PM   #32
Calilama
Banned
Quote:
How is anything I just mentioned reaching? Spence was double teamed all year, which was an easy scouting report especially once JB was injured.
for starters you said Spence was not double teamed last year because Mercilus was double teamed.... Spence did not have one on one blocking under Vics scheme because Mercilus was double teamed.....who exactly was double teaming Mercilus?..the OG and OT?..cmon...that would mean no one was head up on our DT...so opposing offenses let our DT (Spence) run free or tried to block him with their OC?..or tried to block him with their FB after he was 3 yards in their backfield?...no way

under Vic, our DE has outside responsibility and maybe ran a twist once in awhile that might bring him into the OG blocking zone...if Mercilus was double teamed it would either be by the OT and the TE or the OT with help from a RB......neither of whom have anything to do with what happens to Akeem inside

...so the Mercilus double team thing is a reach

Banks and Vic run different defensive line schemes...one is gap control and one is gap penetration...not saying that Banks doesnt have different packages where there is more penetration but that is what is pretty evident when you watched our DL this year.....

which scheme would you rather coach?...especially if the former scheme put two of your players into the first round of the draft...which begs the question...Gilmore could have left for any or no reason...we are not going to know ultimately what was in his mind because he's likely to not risk his coaching career with anything but a stock answer
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:15 AM   #33
Dan
Admin
Keith Gilmore will be named defensive line coach at North Carolina.
Quote:
Sources tell me Illinois defensive line coach Keith Gilmore will be named defensive line coach at North Carolina. http://bit.ly/xpkQEX

http://twitter.com/coachingsearch
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:25 AM   #34
Warriors1994
Not good at all this could be bad with some DL recruits maybe Panfil? hopefully its somebody could
Warriors1994 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:30 AM   #35
RHITIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warriors1994 View Post
Not good at all this could be bad with some DL recruits maybe Panfil? hopefully its somebody could
Doubt they lose anyone but I don't think they'll be happy about it either.

Last edited by RHITIllini; Jan 26, 2013 at 11:33 AM.
RHITIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:36 AM   #36
Juice
Well quhawks called it
Juice is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:38 AM   #37
illinitownie
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHITIllini View Post
I hope you're right, it doesn't help it happened on junior day. Hey guys look at our unknown defensive line coach :rolleyes:
illinitownie is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:38 AM   #38
Calilama
Banned
Quote:
Whatever you want to say about Gilmore he got players to the NFL....that has to mean something to recruits but ....next!!!!...lets get someone better to replace him!...
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:39 AM   #39
RyanK
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinitownie View Post
I hope you're right, it doesn't help it happened on junior day. Hey guys look at our unknown defensive line coach :rolleyes:
I'm betting this just didnt go down today. I'm also gonna bet Beckman already has someone lined up. I see your point, though.
RyanK is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:42 AM   #40
illinitownie
Quote:
I'm betting this just didnt go down today. I'm also gonna bet Beckman already has someone lined up. I see your point, though.
You're right, Beck has probably known for a while now.
illinitownie is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:52 AM   #41
RHITIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calilama View Post
Whatever you want to say about Gilmore he got players to the NFL....that has to mean something to recruits but ....next!!!!...lets get someone better to replace him!...
Gilmore is an excellent DL coach, I just think the recruits on the DL are committed regardless.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:54 AM   #42
quhawks12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice View Post
Well quhawks called it
I may have actually known
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:56 AM   #43
quhawks12
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinitownie View Post
Remember...recruits know long before the media and us.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:20 PM   #44
RHITIllini
I'm going to miss the "ball-on-a-stick"
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:22 PM   #45
Warriors1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by quhawks12 View Post
I may have actually known
Any candidates that you know of to fill the spot? Or is it already filled and you know?
Warriors1994 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:43 PM   #46
CUWPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warriors1994 View Post
Any candidates that you know of to fill the spot? Or is it already filled and you know?
Larry Johnson Sr. Sorry couldn't resist.
CUWPC is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:58 PM   #47
Groundhogday
This had to happen, just wish it had happened sooner so we could move forward with a replacement.

Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:03 PM   #48
Thacher_H_Guild
Quote:
Does he own the ball on the stick or is it university property? Maybe it gets left for the next guy.
Thacher_H_Guild is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:05 PM   #49
Groundhogday
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thacher_H_Guild View Post
Does he own the ball on the stick or is it university property? Maybe it gets left for the next guy.
The "Ball-on-a-stick" device is used fairly widely. I'm not sure why people seem to think Gilmore invented this.
http://coachhuey.com/thread/52752/ba...=514275&page=1

Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:08 PM   #50
Groundhogday
I really have no idea who they might look at for a replacement, but it would be useful to get someone who could serve as co-coordinator for defensive fronts. Beckman and Banks both come from the secondary, and at his last stop Banks called the defense but had an experienced co-coordinator who handled the fronts.

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Football | Next Thread »