Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois 57, Minnesota 53 POSTGAME

Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:23 PM   #201
Jimmy McNulty
After watching that on TV I think it really makes you appreciate the Orange Krush and our fanbase. Didn't seem like there student section ever got overly loud and got behind Minny. If Illinois can go about 5-2 the rest of the way out I think they can be a 6/7 seed in the Tourney which I think is about perfect. Would love to be a 6 seed.
Jimmy McNulty is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:24 PM   #202
IlliNYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerofGeorge View Post
How about TA outrebounding both NE and SM combined! Come on big men - hit the boards! I love Abrams toughness though.
Though NE's tip in & tip out in the 2nd half were both huge.
IlliNYC is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:30 PM   #203
trevdv
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliNYC View Post
Though NE's tip in & tip out in the 2nd half were both huge.
+1. Those were huge momentum shifts in the game.

trevdv is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:30 PM   #204
RealWorld52
Banned
Great win Illini - TA had the worst game and the biggest shot of the game. Brandon stuggled but made clutch plays and played good defense. DJ Richardson has come back from another planet.
RealWorld52 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:31 PM   #205
Dan
Admin
Video: John Groce postgame presser Minnesota game

Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:32 PM   #206
PointGuardU01
What an incredible week! Hats off to the staff and players(particularily DJ and Griffey). Lets keep it rolling and win a game we're supposed to win! Beat Purdue!
PointGuardU01 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:33 PM   #207
zoggle101
KansasIllini thank you for your sacrifice. It's not easy staying off of here.

I too felt like it hurt us not starting TA. I'm pretty sure Grif, and him started the second half. This isnt a knock on JB, but he's our top option off the bench. We need that spark.

Everyone is talking about TG's three point shooting, but the first points of the game came from him aggressively attacking the glass then drawing the foul. His second half didnt start out hot, but he kept plugging away for a great half in the end. I really liked him taking Mbawke off the bounce even though he didnt finish the play. Egwu was wide open in the corner iirc. Grif finds him next time. Oh yeah, half his shots he missed were halfway down. He's back.
zoggle101 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:33 PM   #208
zpfled
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadunk View Post
I said it after the Indiana game that Sheehey taunting Griffey and getting a T may turn our season around. He has now hot 6 six threes since that moment and been a major focal point of the offense. DJ and TG playing well together couldn't happen to better people. I also think the IU game opened BPs eyes to the rest of the team and he is ready to defer at times to his teammates. Finally TA hitting a 3 to seal the game was icing on the cake. Good road win against a good team. Go ILLINI!!!
Can someone fill me in on what happened here? I had to work during the game, so I missed all but the end.
zpfled is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:33 PM   #209
SummerofGeorge
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapan1030 View Post
Actually, I kind of see it differently. I like when there isn't one clearly great team. Anyone can win on any given night. There is just a ton of parity in college basketball this year, and it's going to make for a really exciting tournament. And has already made for a really exciting regular season thus far, I might add
Ditto! It's been a great college basketball season in my opinion. Should be a heck of a tournament.
SummerofGeorge is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:35 PM   #210
Thacher_H_Guild
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedUIFan View Post
Much better transition D. I liked the lineup of Bertrand, DJ, Griffey, Egwu, and Abrams tonight.
Yes on both counts.
Thacher_H_Guild is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:35 PM   #211
trevdv
Quote:
Originally Posted by zpfled View Post
Can someone fill me in on what happened here? I had to work during the game, so I missed all but the end.
Yeah, I didn't really catch what Sheehey was doing either. Explanation?

trevdv is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:35 PM   #212
Wokker
Quote:
Originally Posted by zpfled View Post
Sheehey threw down a dunk and immediately got in TG's face and made some sort of "O" face of his own. He got T'd up and TG went off in the 2nd half against IU.

Sheehey = mega-douche
Wokker is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:35 PM   #213
wpr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illini70math View Post
7. We need the Orange Krush to practice shouting "No Sam, don't shoot" if he even looks at the rim from behind the three-point line. It was a great thing that he made that first one, but he really needs to not start "believing" in his outside shot! Stay inside where it's warm, Sam, stay inside.

8. With all the joy from this great win, now for the somber part. Without our great three-point shooting, Minny crushes us in this game. Our offense just looked terrible against them in the opening 13 minutes of the game. I will give credit to Minny and their athletes on defense, but we had better hope that our threes keep dropping.
I love your 9 observations.

7. excellent.

8. At the beginning of the year I said I didn't want them to fall in love with the 3. I hoped to see more of an inside presence. Of course that is who they are. A 3 pt team. When they make their shots they can compete with most teams. When they struggle, they don't look very pretty.
wpr is online now Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:36 PM   #214
zpfled
THanks, Wokker. Sheehey looks like a douche. Has a lot to do with the douchey uniform he wears, though. Also his face.
zpfled is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:38 PM   #215
Thacher_H_Guild
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealWorld52 View Post
Great win Illini - TA had the worst game and the biggest shot of the game. Brandon stuggled but made clutch plays and played good defense. DJ Richardson has come back from another planet.
Abrams had 6 assists and no turnovers. He didn't shoot well, but he still had a good game overall. His worst games have been ones when he's helping the other team by giving it up too much.
Thacher_H_Guild is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:38 PM   #216
illinifan31
Orange Krush Cow
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBob1 View Post
Was the Krush at this game? Big group of orange behind the Minny basket in 2nd half. See DJ pointing to them.
Nope. That is where family etc sits at Minnie.
illinifan31 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:43 PM   #217
BillyBob1
Picked-up Popa Dels at half and finished the evening with a W!!!!
BillyBob1 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:43 PM   #218
Symmooth
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Illini Chief View Post
Tremendous game - hung in there! That was a nail biter and a seriously gutsy win. Way to go fellas!
Only SEVEN TOs. When was the last time that happened?
Symmooth is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:46 PM   #219
Symmooth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thacher_H_Guild View Post
Abrams had 6 assists and no turnovers. He didn't shoot well, but he still had a good game overall. His worst games have been ones when he's helping the other team by giving it up too much.
6 rebounds, too.
that ferocious last rebound by TA was a joy to behold and fired the team up even more.
Symmooth is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:46 PM   #220
AHSIllini32
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief9 View Post
It would be impossible to go 5-3 when there are only 7 games left...

Purdue
@NW
PSU
@UM
Nebraska
@Iowa
@OSU
I look at it as just get back to .500 in conference.
AHSIllini32 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:47 PM   #221
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Symmooth View Post
Only SEVEN TOs. When was the last time that happened?
Strange but true - when Minnesota won at the Assembly Hall in January.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:47 PM   #222
blmillini
I don't know if anyone has brought it up but I think Groce deserve an incredible amount of credit for how he has handled Griffey. While people here were calling for him to be benched, I think it is pretty clear that we need his skills. For Groce to continue playing him (even if it was reduced minutes) and continue encouraging him to keep shooting, all the while, getting him to play better defense, rebound better and play with more intensity. I believe that job alone could save our season. I'm really happy for the kid and happy we have John Groce as our coach.
blmillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:49 PM   #223
Dan
Admin
Illinois-Minnesota highlights

Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:50 PM   #224
zoggle101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Symmooth View Post
6 rebounds, too.
that ferocious last rebound by TA was a joy to behold and fired the team up even more.
The one where he had his shot blocked, and absolutely just snatched the ball on the other side of the rim was nice too. He fouled Eliason on one rebound try, and he had such power in his jump he knocked the 250 lbs Eliason to the floor even though they called a foul it wasn't. You just never see a guard jump with that authority. He gets more put back lay ups than some of our bigs. Kid would be a heck of a defensive back. I hope he doesn't pull a demitri Goodsen on us.
zoggle101 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:54 PM   #225
PeoriaIllini1
Quote:
Originally Posted by blmillini View Post
I don't know if anyone has brought it up but I think Groce deserve an incredible amount of credit for how he has handled Griffey. While people here were calling for him to be benched, I think it is pretty clear that we need his skills. For Groce to continue playing him (even if it was reduced minutes) and continue encouraging him to keep shooting, all the while, getting him to play better defense, rebound better and play with more intensity. I believe that job alone could save our season. I'm really happy for the kid and happy we have John Groce as our coach.
It is nice to see a Coach trust his players, coach, and encourage them positively instead of throwing them under the bus in a press conference! I have always thought that when it came to Griffey's shooting the main issue was a game situation confidence issue. He lacks it in the game. In practice i have always heard he shoots an amazing percentage. If his first shot or two goes in he plays well if not no so much. He has lacked confidence. I think Groce has always told him get your feet set and keep shooting. If a kick in the pants occurs it will likely occur behind close doors and by using the bench to motivate along with a positive you can do it attitude.
PeoriaIllini1 is online now Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »