Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread

Closed Thread

Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:49 AM   #6576
BrooksTaylorFan
Banned
Interesting tidbit on Cliff. Just don't want him to end up at IU.

Quote:
"His confidence is so much higher now, where he knows he's going to be able to just go out and dominate," Curie coach Mike Oliver said.

Oliver says Alexander, who is averaging 22 points, 14 rebounds and 5 blocks a game, has been recruited "the longest and the hardest by Michigan State." But it's a recruiting race that is far from over, with Illinois, DePaul, Ohio State, Kentucky, Indiana and N.C. State most prominently involved, says Oliver.

Joe Henricksen

Last edited by Dan; Feb 15, 2013 at 11:55 AM. Reason: expanded excerpt
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:57 AM   #6577
Kramer116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illiniwek06 View Post
I read recently a quote from Hill saying that he thinks he will be a good fit with Illinois because they will play a four guard offense and play up-tempo. I would link the article, but it is premium.
Rivals article?

Tell me the date/title and I will pull it up if so. I may have missed it.

"I do want to address something. I understand there was an article written about Illinois basketball being put in it's place. I'm going to tell you what place it's in. It's in a great place. That's what place it's in.... So if anyone wants to know what place Illinois college hoops is in right now, it's in a great place. Not a good place. A great place" - JFG
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:02 AM   #6578
combes
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooksTaylorFan View Post
Interesting tidbit on Cliff. Just don't want him to end up at IU.

http://seasonpass.suntimes.com/news_...rrer_id=596370
Also interesting tidbit on Benet's Pat McInerney, a 6-5 kid who he says will be a preferred walkon to Illinois.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:08 AM   #6579
Illiniwek06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramer116 View Post
Rivals article?

Yes, Rivals.

"Hill having a stellar senior season"
February 9th.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:08 AM   #6580
RyanK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramer116 View Post
Rivals article?

I think I remember reading that also in a recent rivals article. It was probably about two weeks ago Kramer.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:10 AM   #6581
illiniobserver22
Quote:
Originally Posted by combes View Post
Also interesting tidbit on Benet's Pat McInerney, a 6-5 kid who he says will be a preferred walkon to Illinois.
On the baseball team, before anybody gets confused
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:13 AM   #6582
OrchardDowns
Nevermind....
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:13 AM   #6583
illiniobserver22
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrchardDowns View Post
Interesting to say the least!!!

No MSU mention?? Wow!!
I think you missed where it said MSU has been recruiting him the longest and the hardest.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:13 AM   #6584
BrooksTaylorFan
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by illiniobserver22 View Post
On the baseball team, before anybody gets confused
:laugh: I noticed that too. Was shocked when I first read it till I realized it said baseball.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:14 AM   #6585
Illiniwek06
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrchardDowns View Post
Interesting to say the least!!!

No MSU mention?? Wow!!
Quote:
Oliver says Alexander, who is averaging 22 points, 14 rebounds and 5 blocks a game, has been recruited “the longest and the hardest by Michigan State.”
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:38 AM   #6586
IlliniFandom
Quote:
:laugh: I noticed that too. Was shocked when I first read it till I realized it said baseball.
One letter almost sent Illini-nation into a tizzy
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:46 AM   #6587
OrchardDowns
Quote:
Originally Posted by illiniobserver22 View Post
I think you missed where it said MSU has been recruiting him the longest and the hardest.
Yeah. Somehow I just kind of skimmed right over that....
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:57 AM   #6588
illini73
Quote:
Being Groce's first year and trying to coach a mentally fragile team to the tourney, I just don't think you will hear anything until after the season is over. Signing one over would have everyone asking who is not coming back?

If you remember, the interest in Lee came right before Lyle's visit. So you can make an argument that the interest in Lee might have been put on to put some pressure on Lyle at the time. I honestly think that Groce would like both and that we will lose a couple current players to transfer this season. Abrams is not a PG and we desperately need another ballhandler in here next season. Relying on freshman is always risky. Just my two cents.
Abrams is improving a lot as a PG as the season has progressed. PG's are only as good as the players around them making shots. For a while there we STUNK IT UP! Therefore his numbers and to the naked eyes his PG play regressed. Last three games he has tore it up on the assists side versus TO's. If he keeps progressing like he did from his freshmen year to sophomore year I could see him challenging for All-Big Ten honors next year.

Of course he will still need to continue to work on his shot, consistency, handle and overall PG skills to make that next step.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:08 AM   #6589
BrooksTaylorFan
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by illini73 View Post
Abrams is improving a lot as a PG as the season has progressed. PG's are only as good as the players around them making shots. For a while there we STUNK IT UP! Therefore his numbers and to the naked eyes his PG play regressed. Last three games he has tore it up on the assists side versus TO's. If he keeps progressing like he did from his freshmen year to sophomore year I could see him challenging for All-Big Ten honors next year.

Of course he will still need to continue to work on his shot, consistency, handle and overall PG skills to make that next step.
He will continue to get better and I certainly want him on the team. We could just use another ballhandler with Paul gone and not having to put pressure on the freshman.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:11 AM   #6590
Hugh Jorgen
Quote:
Originally Posted by illini73 View Post

Abrams is turning into what we all hoped to have on our team each year...a player with Chet Frazier's toughness, tenacity, and never quit attitude along with some good offensive skills. Abrams will be a very valuable leader and contributor on this team for two more seasons.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:14 AM   #6591
IlliniTilDeath
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jorgen View Post
Abrams is turning into what we all hoped to have on our team each year...a player with Chet Frazier's toughness, tenacity, and never quit attitude along with some good offensive skills. Abrams will be a very valuable leader and contributor on this team for two more seasons.
+1

Exactly. No one is going to argue that Abrams is a great fit at point guard, or a piece we can build around, but I love his attitude and his will to win. Definitely someone we want around.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:16 AM   #6592
Railsplitter
Banned
Quote:
He will continue to get better and I certainly want him on the team. We could just use another ballhandler with Paul gone and not having to put pressure on the freshman.
I think Abrams ball handling has improved greatly since last year . Still wouldn't call Paul a good ball handler . So yes we do need another.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:47 AM   #6593
Trifecta23
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniTilDeath View Post
+1

Exactly. No one is going to argue that Abrams is a great fit at point guard, or a piece we can build around, but I love his attitude and his will to win. Definitely someone we want around.

I don't understand why you put a but in your post?
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:54 AM   #6594
IlliniTilDeath
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trifecta23 View Post
I did it because it's logical grammar wise.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:03 PM   #6595
BlockI
Banned
I didn't realize posts were supposed to be in a MLA or APA format. I missed the class on forum posting I guess also!
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:10 PM   #6596
lstewart53x3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trifecta23 View Post
? His post read fine to me.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:10 PM   #6597
AlmostFamous79
Any word on how the Groce family visit with D. Lee went??
Kid can take pressure off Nunn to be a killer right away. Also, takes pressure of Hill.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:23 PM   #6598
scubadunk
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostFamous79 View Post
Any word on how the Groce family visit with D. Lee went??
Kid can take pressure off Nunn to be a killer right away. Also, takes pressure of Hill.
Sometimes the Freshman you have coming need the pressure and thrive on the pressure of having to perform. I would like to see Hill and Nunn play early and often next year to get their college careers going. Good players play early so you can build around them. Dee, Deron, Augie all played early and made them one of the best classes in the history of UI basketball. I want the freshman to play to build for the future. Look at our sophomore class. Abrams and Egwu had the pressure of playing minutes last year and have improved greatly. I think Henry wouldve been another player who if he had played more last year would be contributing more like he did against PU and would be more comfortable on the court. Im not saying I dont want to add experience to the roster but I think if Nunn or Hill had to start from Day 1 I personally wouldnt mind and I think they could handle the pressure and it certainly would help build the program.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:32 PM   #6599
jcgoldie
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadunk View Post
Sometimes the Freshman you have coming need the pressure and thrive on the pressure of having to perform. I would like to see Hill and Nunn play early and often next year to get their college careers going. Good players play early so you can build around them. Dee, Deron, Augie all played early and made them one of the best classes in the history of UI basketball. I want the freshman to play to build for the future. Look at our sophomore class. Abrams and Egwu had the pressure of playing minutes last year and have improved greatly. I think Henry wouldve been another player who if he had played more last year would be contributing more like he did against PU and would be more comfortable on the court. Im not saying I dont want to add experience to the roster but I think if Nunn or Hill had to start from Day 1 I personally wouldnt mind and I think they could handle the pressure and it certainly would help build the program.
Building the program and getting experience for your young guys is great... its getting creamed game after game in the big ten because you are starting a bunch of freshmen and have to live with their mistakes all season thats the unfortunate downside to that philosophy.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:36 PM   #6600
RedButkus
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniTilDeath View Post
I did it because it's logical grammar wise.
Don't you think the use of "but" in this context implies a contradiction? But there doesn't seem to be one. That's what the OP is referencing.
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »