Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread

Closed Thread

Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:19 AM   #6801
MrQuist
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooksTaylorFan View Post
Sometimes moving on is what's best and right for the kid.
I totally agree that moving on is sometimes what is best.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:33 AM   #6802
Big10Man
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQuist View Post
Bruce Weber did not provide scholarships. The University of Illinois provided the scholarships. Groce and the University will do what is honorable and right for these kids. We are not Crean or IU.
Coaches are the ones giving out scholarships for athletics. Not universities. These kids come here to join the basketball team or whatever sport. That is their identity. They major in athletics. Sometimes, kids consider the education as a factor on where they go, but, by and large, the education is secondary.

If a kid is buried on the depth chart, there are many reasons for it. Sometimes, they overshot their worth. Sometimes, they did not develop. Sometimes, they are just behind a deep position. If a kid is not getting minutes and likely will not going forward, I do not see why the kid would want to stay. That's just me. From an ego perspective, I would especially not want it. Coaches know each other. If a kid is in a bad situation, they try to help the kid. I am sure certain kids are already making contingency plans if they are not in the plans for their current school. These things are usually transparent especially when there is a coaching change.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:35 AM   #6803
BrooksTaylorFan
Banned
Not sure if anyone posted this video on Nunn yet. It's interesting that they talk about him playing PG at Illinois.

http://www.youtube.com/amfam?x=us-en...hegame_3891_71
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:38 AM   #6804
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Purdue, Indiana, Illinois, Auburn, Butler, Pittsburgh, Marquette & N.C. State have shown interest in 2014 JUCO C Michael Chandler.

http://twitter.com/AdamZagoria
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:40 AM   #6805
ChiCityHoops34
Quote:
Not sure if anyone posted this video on Nunn yet. It's interesting that they talk about him playing PG at Illinois.

He has a long, long way to go with his ball handling if he is playing PG at the big 10 level.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:40 AM   #6806
-josh-
Calm, Collected, German.
Quote:

Cool vid, i get the feeling that all 2 guards Coach Groce recruits are expected to become part time point guards. Or at the very least facilitate the offense if the starting point guard is off the floor.

Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:41 AM   #6807
Botb9
Realist
Seems like we're recruiting an awful lot of JUCO players. I have to think at least one or two are transferring out after this season.

Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:42 AM   #6808
i11ini
Banned
Quote:

Anybody below 6' 5'' needs to have PG skills these days -- it's one's ticket to playing in the NBA or in Europe.

And personally, I want Kendrick to have these skills, playing in three guard offense with him, Abrams, and Malcolm Hill would be a joy to watch.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:43 AM   #6809
Juice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botb9 View Post
Seems like we're recruiting an awful lot of JUCO players. I have to think at least one or two are transferring out after this season.
There's no way we don't have any transfers.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:45 AM   #6810
Foo G
PWIQARTIAUHIDVITS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiCityHoops34 View Post

He has a long, long way to go with his ball handling if he is playing PG at the big 10 level.
He's a worker, though, so that will really help.

"I understand there was an article written about Illinois basketball being put in its place. I'm gonna tell you what place it's in; it's in a great place. That's what place it's in." - Chief John Groce
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:46 AM   #6811
BrooksTaylorFan
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiCityHoops34 View Post

+1, but I'm anxious to see how he develops with 4 years under Groce and his staff. We've seen the huge improvement in DJ with only the summer to work with Groce.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:47 AM   #6812
TCTORNADO
Michael Chandler the JUCO center recruit, went to the same HS as Oden (Lawrence North). He originally committed to 3 different schools (including L'Ville &UCF). This kid in HS was a beast. Very talented big man...
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:50 AM   #6813
Kramer116
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCTORNADO View Post
Michael Chandler the JUCO center recruit, went to the same HS as Oden (Lawrence North). He originally committed to 3 different schools (including L'Ville &UCF). This kid in HS was a beast. Very talented big man...
Had some interesting off the court issues too, hopefully he has matured a bit. Agree he is a big time talent on the court though.

"I do want to address something. I understand there was an article written about Illinois basketball being put in it's place. I'm going to tell you what place it's in. It's in a great place. That's what place it's in.... So if anyone wants to know what place Illinois college hoops is in right now, it's in a great place. Not a good place. A great place" - JFG
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:53 AM   #6814
joekam
Quote:
I know that coaches are allowed to go one over on commits, but I don't see Groce doing it in his first year. This fragile team is finally starting to put it together and the last thing he wants to do is have everyone asking who is not going to be here next season.
Definitely agree that is a wise move.

Just was curious as to when JUCO/transfers usually verbal during the process and seeing if that meant anything could be read into Lee's decision to decide after the season.

Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:56 AM   #6815
Foo G
PWIQARTIAUHIDVITS
With all of these JUCO rumors floating up today, I wondered if Groce might have seen one of these guys play against Lee on V-Day.
Doesn't look like there's any connection, though.
NMJC played Howard County that game, who incidentally has a player on their roster that made me smile -- #22 Marcus Fuggins.
Just thought that was a cool name and wanted to pass it on.

"I understand there was an article written about Illinois basketball being put in its place. I'm gonna tell you what place it's in; it's in a great place. That's what place it's in." - Chief John Groce
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:16 AM   #6816
IlliniEX2011
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice View Post
There's no way we don't have any transfers.
We've offered like 3 2014 transfers while waiting on 3 big recruits who could still verbal. Yea I'd say some guys are leaving, the question is how many?
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:20 AM   #6817
HeartofaChampion
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniEX2011 View Post
We've offered like 3 2014 transfers while waiting on 3 big recruits who could still verbal. Yea I'd say some guys are leaving, the question is how many?
I'd guess 2. JG not subbing in MS or DL till the last possible opportunity in blowout wins the last 2 games even after NW had emptied its bench around the 6:00 or 7:00 mark may be a sign.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:37 AM   #6818
Leonardite
Since most of these are 2014 guys we're offering, you have to remember that that is the year after next. We can hold all the guys on our roster currently next season as well.

So if you see Colbert and Morgan as freshman playing over Langford, Ibby, and Shaw as juniors next season, that may make them want to transfer.

So easy.
So easy.
So easy.

"Frank Williams putting on a show passing the rock! Driving, Drawing, and Dishing the rock! The three D's man!" --- The Frank Williams Show
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:40 AM   #6819
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Illinois is gaining some traction with Leron Black. Today will be their third trip to White Station (Tenn.) in the last month.

http://twitter.com/jeffborzello
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:44 AM   #6820
blmillini
After seeing what Groce has been able to do with this group in one year, why wouldn't every recruit with any kind of tie to Illinois want to be here? I love this guy.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:44 AM   #6821
PGHillini11
Leron Black

5 star 11th overall on ESPN
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:49 AM   #6822
midastouch11
I loved Leron Black in Curb Your Enthusiasm.

On a serious note, its awesome to have kids of his caliber interested in Illinois.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:50 AM   #6823
illinifan1515
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGHillini11 View Post
Leron Black

5 star 11th overall on ESPN
A power forward too. Wonder how this would work with Finke already committed.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:51 AM   #6824
illiniobserver22
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan1515 View Post
A power forward too. Wonder how this would work with Finke already committed.
5 stars always work
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:53 AM   #6825
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Illinois head John Groce and Asst. Jamall Walker are at Whitestation visiting Leron Black. Big target for Illinois, in good with Black

http://twitter.com/EHoopsShowcase
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »