Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

News & Notes - February 21st

Old Feb 21, 2013, 06:29 AM   #1
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Illini Twitter accounts go silent

"I think it's really important that if we're consistent in our approach that the guys on the team not after a big win re-tweet people that are telling them they're rock stars and then after a loss re-tweet people that think they're scum," Groce said. "The biggest reason is just staying on level ground."

Jeremy Werner
Quote:
Defense the catalyst to Illinois' run

"People make too big a deal out of that," Groce said. "I laugh. He didn't get benched. He played 30 minutes.

"We have an accountability system set up defensively right now. In the last two games, all of our players have graded out as a 'B' or higher. We haven't had that all year. It's unbelievable."

Tupper
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 06:53 AM   #2
wpr
I am not trying to be critical of Tyler but in the Tupper article it says

Quote:
While Griffey’s shot was missing in action, he focused instead on being a better defender and rebounder, and coach John Groce counts him as one of several players who have helped shape a defense that has led Illinois to four straight victories.
My question is why does it take 3 or 4 years for players to realize they have to play defense too? I realize there are players in the NBA that still have not learned this.

Even if a guy makes 75% of his shots but plays no defense at all he isn't helping his team if the opponent makes 100% of their shots and grabs all the rebounds.

Old Feb 21, 2013, 08:27 AM   #3
HsvIllini
Quote:
Marcus Jackson ‏@MarcusJ_NG
All sessions of the Big Ten tournament are sold out. I guess Chicago does care about college hoops.
HsvIllini is online now Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 08:36 AM   #4
mattcoldagelli
"But...but...Indianapolis is so convenient. I can walk places!" - small-timers everywhere

@mattcoldagelli

mattcoldagelli is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 08:46 AM   #5
FredrickFremont
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcoldagelli View Post
"But...but...Indianapolis is so convenient. I can walk places!" - small-timers everywhere
:laugh:
FredrickFremont is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 08:58 AM   #6
blmillini
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpr View Post
I am not trying to be critical of Tyler but in the Tupper article it says

My question is why does it take 3 or 4 years for players to realize they have to play defense too? I realize there are players in the NBA that still have not learned this.

Even if a guy makes 75% of his shots but plays no defense at all he isn't helping his team if the opponent makes 100% of their shots and grabs all the rebounds.
I think that with this bunch it is related to being seniors that haven't won enough in the past that are finally figuring out that they need to do things the coach's way. Once they started seeing some success, they started trusting that the coaches really do know what they are talking about. I think Groce's insistance on playing defense and grading have helped to reach these guys in a way that Weber was not able.
blmillini is online now Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:57 AM   #7
jcgoldie
Quote:
Been to both... Indianapolis puts Chicago to shame hosting the BTT.

Guess I'm a "small timer".
jcgoldie is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:12 AM   #8
IlliniKat91
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgoldie View Post

This time of year, all they really have to focus on is the Pacers and the BTT. Compared to Chicago who has Bulls, Blackhawks, spring training, not to mention shows and exhibits coming through... there's a lot to focus on.

That's the difference between hosting in a small city versus a big city: fewer events means you can highlight things more. That's all.
IlliniKat91 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:27 AM   #9
combes
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniKat91 View Post
This time of year, all they really have to focus on is the Pacers and the BTT. Compared to Chicago who has Bulls, Blackhawks, spring training, not to mention shows and exhibits coming through... there's a lot to focus on.

That's the difference between hosting in a small city versus a big city: fewer events means you can highlight things more. That's all.
If that is the standard, then there are only four "big" cities in the United States: New York, LA, Chicago, Houston. Only cities over 2,000,000. Indianapolis is the 12th largest city in the United States ahead of others like San Francisco, Memphis, Detroit, etc. Dallas, for reference, is the 9th largest city in the country.

But you are right that there is more going on in Chicago than Indianapolis.
combes is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:28 AM   #10
anonymousalcoholic
Banned
Quote:

guess so.

maybe if we had a few more chain restaurants for you up here.

chicago is better than indy -- indian-no-place -- in every way. if you took some time to figure out where to go, it would not take you very far afield, and you'd have a blast.

indianapolis is one of the most boring, vanilla cities in the u.s., and i've just been to dallas. . .
anonymousalcoholic is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:29 AM   #11
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpr View Post
My question is why does it take 3 or 4 years for players to realize they have to play defense too?
Because they are 18-19 year old kids?
WesterveltVictoryCigar is online now Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:33 AM   #12
jcgoldie
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymousalcoholic View Post
guess so.

chicago is better than indy -- indian-no-place -- in every way. if you took some time to figure out where to go, it would not take you very far afield, and you'd have a blast.

indianapolis is one of the most boring, vanilla cities in the u.s., and i've just been to dallas. . .
Sorry to ruffle the natives feathers. Seems some folks are a bit sensitive in their civic pride. I never said Indianapolis is a better city. I enjoy the city of Chicago immensely. I also agree there are alot more things to do there than in Indy.

For the sake of this tournament, however, the downtown area of Indy is a much better atmosphere. When you catch a cab outside the United Center, the tournament experience effectively ends as you are swallowed up by the rest of the city.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:58 AM   #13
mattcoldagelli
Quote:
For the sake of this tournament, however, the downtown area of Indy is a much better atmosphere. When you catch a cab outside the United Center, the tournament experience effectively ends as you are swallowed up by the rest of the city.
But I guess that's where we differ. Because from where I sit, here are the areas of concern for me when it comes to the BTT:

1. What's good for Illinois
2. What's good the B1G as a whole
10. "Atmosphere" after you leave the stadium

I want Illinois to enjoy the advantages that come with holding the tournament in Chicago. I want the B1G to present itself to the rest of the country as being at home in one of America's marquee basketball cities and largest media markets. I want the city's HS players to see the conference on center stage every year. I want the B1G to be able fill the arena easily with tons of alums from all of its member schools.

Chicago does all these in a way that Indy does not and never will. So, sorry I'm not sorry about people having to get in a cab for five minutes.

@mattcoldagelli

Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:16 AM   #14
jcgoldie
Quote:
But I guess that's where we differ. Because from where I sit, here are the areas of concern for me when it comes to the BTT:

1. What's good for Illinois
2. What's good the B1G as a whole
10. "Atmosphere" after you leave the stadium

I want Illinois to enjoy the advantages that come with holding the tournament in Chicago. I want the B1G to present itself to the rest of the country as being at home in one of America's marquee basketball cities and largest media markets. I want the city's HS players to see the conference on center stage every year. I want the B1G to be able fill the arena easily with tons of alums from all of its member schools.

Chicago does all these in a way that Indy does not and never will. So, sorry I'm not sorry about people having to get in a cab for five minutes.
Everyone has their own opinions and priorities. I agree with some of the things you said being advantageous to the Illini. For the most part I don't think it makes much of a difference as regards recruiting or perceptions of the conference overall where its held. As a fan who takes 2 days off work and plunks down around $1000 or more for a weekend on tickets and food and drink, travel, and lodging for myself and my wife... its important to me to have an enjoyable experience and be immersed in big 10 basketball for the weekend in a way that one is not when they exit the United Center.

I don't feel those preferences make me a "small timer."
Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:21 AM   #15
PeoriaIllini1
Quote:
Sorry to ruffle the natives feathers. Seems some folks are a bit sensitive in their civic pride. I never said Indianapolis is a better city. I enjoy the city of Chicago immensely. I also agree there are alot more things to do there than in Indy.

I want it to be played in Chicago because i used to think that is where the Illini have a better chance to win! Or they are supposed too! lol

That being said i was just in Indy recently and while my wife, daughter, and her friends went to a concert i found Downtown Indy enjoyable, lots of choices, and bars for me to go have a beer and watch sports all with in blocks of the stadium. My Sister in law even took me to a Greek Restaurant that you could see Lucas Oil Stadium from that had belly dancers and great food. That was different, fun, and unexpected! So i must say i was surprised at all downtown Indy had within walking distance of the Windham Hotel. I preferred staying there more than i do when we used stay at the Palmer House most every year in Chicago and take the kids to the Thanksgiving day Parade and shop. But shopping in the cold sucks!

I am sure I could enjoy it either place and want every advantage i can get for an Illini win. However i can certainly understand from experience why someone could enjoy it being in downtown Indy.

Now i just put on my "House Of Paigh" shirt and getting ready to head to my personal choice to cheer for the Illini from here in Peoria to the Assembly Hall in Urbana-Champaign!,, Penn State is going down!
PeoriaIllini1 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:25 AM   #16
bootsy
Quote:
Come on man. Leave my city alone. It IS convenient and you know it. No need to put down Indianapolis.
bootsy is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:29 AM   #17
scubadunk
Quote:
Hey I loved when it was in Indy. Tickets were easy to get and it was a much shorter drive. And I could walk places just not to far or you go into scary places
scubadunk is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:41 AM   #18
illini ri0t
Banned
Quote:
Just because some people have a different opinion than you, you make a catty remark towards your fellow Illini fans??

And you're calling them "small timers"?

Let's all just agree that either venue has it's advantages.

Ive been to both, loved them both.

Or shall we go back to the dark days when we didn't have a tourney.
illini ri0t is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:46 AM   #19
mattcoldagelli
Quote:
Originally Posted by illini ri0t View Post
Just because some people have a different opinion than you, you make a catty remark towards your fellow Illini fans??

And you're calling them "small timers"?
Hey, if you're an Illini fan that objectively looks at the pros and cons of both venues and picks the one that is more convenient for you personally as opposed to the one that is overwhelmingly more beneficial for both the immediate and long-term needs of our program, then yeah, I think that's the definition of small-time thinking. Sorry.

@mattcoldagelli

Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:52 AM   #20
IlliniBacker
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymousalcoholic View Post
guess so.

This is your typical arrogant comment of a Chicagoan...

Funny, I had two friends - one from Florida and one from London - tell me the same thing but in different words. Both moved to Chicago for work and told me the loved the city, but at times the arrogant and provincial attitude of locals is unbearable...

As in: "Chicago's the best this, Chicago's the best that, Chicago sports blah blah... No other place in the world comes close, and if you aren't from here then you are a complete tool!!"

I thought it was interesting because your comment brought me back in time and I remembered this attitude from a lot of people from Chicagoland (not all of course) from my time at UI. I was just happy they came down to Champaign to grace us with their presence.
IlliniBacker is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:53 AM   #21
dansaint
when I went to Indy in November...the only thing I really didn't think was real convienent was that there was no lite rail from the airport to downtown...and when you are on the airport shuttle...you kind of had to know where you were so you could get off on the right stop for your hotel.

Chicago is a great city that was transportation like that where you can find your stop easier.

each city has it's advantages and disadvantages and both are great cities to hold the tournament.

Both really treasure it.

Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:55 AM   #22
IlliniKat91
Quote:
Everyone has their own opinions and priorities. I agree with some of the things you said being advantageous to the Illini. For the most part I don't think it makes much of a difference as regards recruiting or perceptions of the conference overall where its held. As a fan who takes 2 days off work and plunks down around $1000 or more for a weekend on tickets and food and drink, travel, and lodging for myself and my wife... its important to me to have an enjoyable experience and be immersed in big 10 basketball for the weekend in a way that one is not when they exit the United Center.

I don't feel those preferences make me a "small timer."
Are you just going from hotel to restaurant/bar to games and back? Because there are tons of great Big Ten bars in the area (with good food, too) that will allow you to be immersed in college basketball. And it depends on what you define as "immersed in college basketball"; of course you have a better chance of running into teams and coaches in Indianapolis. There are fewer places close to the games for food/coffee/etc. That always ups the chances of running into the so-called big wigs of the college basketball world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadunk View Post
Hey I loved when it was in Indy. Tickets were easy to get and it was a much shorter drive. And I could walk places just not to far or you go into scary places
Pray tell, what scary places? Yes, there are neighborhoods you shouldn't walk in alone at night, but as long as you don't act like a jerk and keep to yourself, you shouldn't have problems east of the UC.

Perhaps it is because my family is originally from the West Side, as is my boyfriend's family (Austin and Lawndale, respectively), but my hackles raised at that. Just because it's a poor area doesn't make it scary per se. It just makes it a poor neighborhood. Plenty of cities have them, even Indianapolis.
IlliniKat91 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:58 AM   #23
PeoriaIllini1
Quote:
Hey, if you're an Illini fan that objectively looks at the pros and cons of both venues and picks the one that is more convenient for you personally as opposed to the one that is overwhelmingly more beneficial for both the immediate and long-term needs of our program, then yeah, I think that's the definition of small-time thinking. Sorry.
HMMMMM? Didnt Indy just host the Superbowl in 2012 between the G-men and Pats, Final Four in recent years, and The Indy 500 every year. So Indy does have its advantages according to real life decision makers in major sports. I dont think the NFL pays its commish over $28 million to be a small timer.

That being said i did state i want every advantage for an Illini Win and i think Chicago is the place for that.

i am sure both cities can do a great job hosting the event with each having perks some of us may prefer

Last edited by PeoriaIllini1; Feb 21, 2013 at 12:02 PM.
PeoriaIllini1 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:03 PM   #24
illini ri0t
Banned
Quote:
If you think just because it's in Chicago that it's this huge advantage to us then you might point the small time finger at yourself, sir. What has changed the program/recruiting all the years the tourney was in chicago???? And those were the years that illinois had one of the best tourney records!!

Sure chicago kids get exposure to illinois, but they get to see 11 other B1G teams!!!

I agree to you partially, but i disagree that chicago is so much better for the program than indy. Theres no factual evidence in the tourneys history to back that up. Sorry.
illini ri0t is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:14 PM   #25
TCTORNADO
BTT results for Illinois:

Chicago--15-5
Indy--8-8
TCTORNADO is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »