Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Football

The Illinois Helmets & Uniforms Thread 2013

Closed Thread

Old Feb 18, 2013, 07:50 PM   #126
BZuppke
No disrespect to the Peoria but why do they have a chief with what appears to be a Sioux headdress on their website? They also have a plains Indian tepee. Finally they use the word Indian while we are always careful to use the word Native American. They are also a mix of non illini tribes. This whole endorsement from the actual tribe is questionable at best. I submit there is no authentic tribe to ask permission from. To paraphrase Metternich: I challenge anyone to define what constitutes an illini Indian.

Last edited by BZuppke; Feb 18, 2013 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Correction
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:35 PM   #127
IlliniKat91
Quote:
Originally Posted by BZuppke View Post
No disrespect to the Peoria but why do they have a chief with what appears to be a Sioux headdress on their website? They also have a plains Indian tepee. Finally they use the word Indian while we are always careful to use the word Native American. They are also a mix of non illini tribes. This whole endorsement from the actual tribe is questionable at best. I submit there is no authentic tribe to ask permission from. To paraphrase Metternich: I challenge anyone to define what constitutes an illini Indian.
I would suppose the "safety" of having a tribe in our corner, similar to the Seminoles standing behind FSU. The NCAA actually did go after FSU... until the Seminoles kindly told them to step off. It'd be nice to have that kind of support, if only as a defense against the NCAA meddling in how we are represented.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 12:02 AM   #128
OrangeAndBlue217
How does the pro football team Washington get away with using the term Redskins? Without doing any research at all on it, that sounds like the most racist team name in sports. I dont recall ever hearing a complaint about that. I could be wrong, like I said I didnt research it.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 12:21 AM   #129
illinimandan
Emblem Adjustment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shief View Post
If we went down that route, I'd add the block I on the arrowhead shield behind the cross arrows. Then change the red and yellow arrows to white and silver or the yellow to black, red and black are the colors of the Peoria people if I remember my Illinois history.
It looked a bit busy with the 4 arrows and the Block "I," so here it is with just the "I" added and the arrows removed.

The four arrows represent four different tribes. The emblem is 30 years old this year. Check out the explanation here:
http://www.peoriatribe.com/history/tribal_emblem.php

I'm not saying we should remove the arrows either, this is just for visualization purposes. It would be interesting at the very least to have a dialog with the Peoria Tribe and whether they would be interested in having an affiliation with the Fighting Illini since they are perhaps the only Illinois Confederation Tribe that remains to this day.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 08:24 AM   #130
chiefini
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeAndBlue217 View Post
How does the pro football team Washington get away with using the term Redskins? Without doing any research at all on it, that sounds like the most racist team name in sports. I dont recall ever hearing a complaint about that. I could be wrong, like I said I didnt research it.
The pro teams are privately owned. There have been protests, but no one can force these privately owned organizations to change anything. Plus the NCAA has absoluty no say on the pro teams. Illinois. North Dakota State, and Florida State et al. are public universities funded by tax payer dollars, and they're part of the N Collegiate AA.

‎"There is an uncommon spirit known only by those who call themselves Illini...It is a dignified spirit portrayed by the Chief. It is a spirit of orange and blue blood and of the young and the old. Once it enters your veins, you will never be the same again." Illini Spirit William Branom, '54 (1932-2012)
Old Feb 19, 2013, 08:29 AM   #131
TheSecretWeapon
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniKat91 View Post
I would suppose the "safety" of having a tribe in our corner, similar to the Seminoles standing behind FSU. The NCAA actually did go after FSU... until the Seminoles kindly told them to step off. It'd be nice to have that kind of support, if only as a defense against the NCAA meddling in how we are represented.
It would also be another expense the DIA probably doesn't need at this point. I'm sure if a tribe "supported" the use of native american imagery they would also like for the U to reciprocate that support much like the FSU/Seminole arrangement ($$$)

Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:20 AM   #132
GilThorpe
this talk of finding native american imagery to use as a logo or on uniforms or part of branding presupposes the idea that the Admin or any future Admin would be okay with it.

I just dont see that ever being the case. In their academic world, its against their interests.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:35 AM   #133
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by GilThorpe View Post
this talk of finding native american imagery to use as a logo or on uniforms or part of branding presupposes the idea that the Admin or any future Admin would be okay with it.

I just dont see that ever being the case. In their academic world, its against their interests.
In their athletic world, it is against their interests. The NCAA would implement sanctions if we revived the native american imagery in any way.

Old Feb 19, 2013, 11:51 AM   #134
carmelillini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
In their athletic world, it is against their interests. The NCAA would implement sanctions if we revived the native american imagery in any way.
Agree. It's not going to happen no matter how bad we want it to. Lot's of wasted time on this subject. The ship has sailed. More effort should be directed to our partners at NIKE to assist with new logo, branding, etc. That would be a lot more productive.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 02:10 PM   #135
Illinnoying Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmelillini View Post
Agree. It's not going to happen no matter how bad we want it to. Lot's of wasted time on this subject. The ship has sailed. More effort should be directed to our partners at NIKE to assist with new logo, branding, etc. That would be a lot more productive.
I seriously doubt that the U of I decision-makers will ever look to posters on a message board to glean ideas for anything. And they shouldnt be in a decision-making position if they actually did so. I am sure they are hard at work with NIKE on a boring block-I logo thing, complete with goofy-looking zig-zags. We are already the laughing stocks of the Big 10 on the field. Do our uniforms also have to look the part? It wouldnt be a popular decision, but I would love to see the 'new' NIKE look use some of the sylings of the 1980's uniforms. Those were the best ones we ever had.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 02:16 PM   #136
GilThorpe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
agreed, but even if the NCAA dropped their "objections", there is still a substantial amount of resistance within the academic minds in Champaign-Urbana and in the B1G and around the country that it would never happen.

If you ask me, many of our admin wanted to get rid of the Chief and simply used the NCAA as cover. Im hardly a backer of the NCAA, but in this case, they werent the real bad guy, imo.

It doesnt matter. Its over. I have my dancing Chief statue and Chief pic with arms up in my office to remind me every day just who we are.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 04:32 PM   #137
Dan
Admin
Quote:
My rendition of what the @IlliniFootball @IllinoisLoyalty helmet should look like #design #B1G http://pic.twitter.com/SnCvH1ZIB2

http://twitter.com/iwantcakeplz

Last edited by Dan; Feb 22, 2013 at 08:14 AM.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 05:08 PM   #138
AHSIllini32
Banned
I would take away the ILLINOIS from the helmet and think it would look sharp.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 05:10 PM   #139
ncoillini
I like the helmet with the slanted Illinois. Pretty cool either way.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 05:11 PM   #140
CUWPC
Love it.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 05:12 PM   #141
AHSIllini32
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncoillini View Post
I like the helmet with the slanted Illinois. Pretty cool either way.
You would like the helmet to be leather if I said I liked the hard plastic that's being used just to disagree with me:laugh:
Old Feb 21, 2013, 05:12 PM   #142
cmore
Perhaps the ILLINOIS would look better in a metallic high gloss silver?
Old Feb 21, 2013, 05:14 PM   #143
ncoillini
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHSIllini32 View Post
You would like the helmet to be leather if I said I liked the hard plastic that's being used just to disagree with me:laugh:

I did say either way that I liked it.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 06:11 PM   #144
OrangeAndBlue217
Thats not a bad looking helmet at all. It would be better without the ILLINOIS on the side. Or maybe it would look better in a different font/color/finish? New logo idea just now: a single feather, like one on the helmet? Something of that nature. Is that do able?
Old Feb 21, 2013, 06:15 PM   #145
chiefini
I really like this helmet, and I like the silver Illinois slant idea as well. Too bad there isn't fan input, maybe even a vote...

‎"There is an uncommon spirit known only by those who call themselves Illini...It is a dignified spirit portrayed by the Chief. It is a spirit of orange and blue blood and of the young and the old. Once it enters your veins, you will never be the same again." Illini Spirit William Branom, '54 (1932-2012)
Old Feb 21, 2013, 07:13 PM   #146
GilThorpe
I really like the helmet, but I just think feathers are going to be considered native american imagery and it will be DOA in the admin office.

I really dont think the NCAA is the biggest obstacle here.

Its a shame, because it is a nice design. That design would be so iconic, the word Illini, Illinois or an I is not needed and actually deracts from it.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 07:36 PM   #147
Sybok
That's why they need to work a bald eagle into the mix.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 07:58 PM   #148
GilThorpe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sybok View Post
That's why they need to work a bald eagle into the mix.
and you think our liberal politically correct admin is going to fall for that?
Old Feb 21, 2013, 08:44 PM   #149
Sybok
Quote:
Originally Posted by GilThorpe View Post
and you think our liberal politically correct admin is going to fall for that?
Why not? There are eagles all up and down the Illinois River. Illinois has never had a mascot. Time to get one with feathers.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:28 PM   #150
BZuppke
Way better than the other "chief" helmet. Agree that we should drop the slant illinois. I never liked it and it is now over 20 years old.
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Football | Next Thread »