Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

NCAA Bracketology - The Week of February 18th

Closed Thread

Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:14 PM   #101
KansasIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadunk View Post
If you look at the bubble watch read about Virginia. They got all out into the BPI and why they think that should be used for selection but that the NCAA has no ideas to use it this year in the selection process.
Looks like you beat me to it by a couple of hours. That capsule on Virginia was just another glaring example of how highly ESPN thinks of itself and it's creations. Later on, Brennan takes a couple more jabs at the RPI when discussing Middle Tennessee and Belmont.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 05:00 PM   #102
cmore
Quote:
Originally Posted by KansasIllini View Post
Looks like you beat me to it by a couple of hours. That capsule on Virginia was just another glaring example of how highly ESPN thinks of itself and it's creations. Later on, Brennan takes a couple more jabs at the RPI when discussing Middle Tennessee and Belmont.
I'm going to go watch Belmont play tonight.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 05:04 PM   #103
cjcastan
Is the BPI completely transparent?

If not then it has no chance of ever being used.

KenPom cannot be used since he will not release his statistical secret sauce (if he did, why would people pay).

Any metric that will not be completely transparent has no chance of ever being used.

Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:04 PM   #104
IlliniFan85
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesterveltVictoryCigar View Post
That was written by a different person.
Right. They made reference to two stories written by ESPN in a two day period that said we were bubble then almost a lock. He is saying in that two day period we beat no-one which is correct. The story about us not being in was written after the two games you mentioned.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:26 AM   #105
AzIlliniFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcastan View Post
Is the BPI completely transparent?

If not then it has no chance of ever being used.

KenPom cannot be used since he will not release his statistical secret sauce (if he did, why would people pay).

Any metric that will not be completely transparent has no chance of ever being used.
I don't know that the process the NCAA committee uses is what I would call completely transparent either.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 06:37 AM   #106
cjcastan
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzIlliniFan View Post
I don't know that the process the NCAA committee uses is what I would call completely transparent either.
The process no,

but the metrics - RPI / Top 50 wins / SOS / etc. are transparent. Anyone with excel and the spare time can calculate it when they feel.

not so with KenPom.

Old Feb 21, 2013, 07:04 AM   #107
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniFan85 View Post
Right. They made reference to two stories written by ESPN in a two day period that said we were bubble then almost a lock. He is saying in that two day period we beat no-one which is correct. The story about us not being in was written after the two games you mentioned.
OK, this is kind of silly, but....

ESPN writes a lot of articles by different people. They may all have differing opinions of our NCAA tournament status. But the "bubble watch" blog by Eamonn Brennan didn't change our status based on nothing, they moved us from "work left to do" on 2/12 to "should be in" on 2/19 after the results of our games played that week on 2/13 and 2/17. You can see in the "archive" section in the upper right when the updates are made.

And yes, there was a column by a different guy (Ryan Feldman) on 2/19 touting their "BPI" formula in between that said we should still be on the bubble because of that BPI number. But that person is not writing the "bubble watch" column which is updated weekly based on the results of games played.

Last edited by WesterveltVictoryCigar; Feb 21, 2013 at 07:16 AM.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:41 PM   #108
illiniffpd
Quote:
Originally Posted by peace davids View Post
Apparently not. They must be looking at BPI.

39 Kentucky SEC 4 76.5 In - Projected At Large
55 Illinois Big Ten 8 72.0 Out

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...ype/tournament

Obviously, we are way too excited with this low of a BPI
BPI is a joke

Iowa is in with a 17-9 record (I'm fine with that). They have beat 5 teams with a WINNING record (Gardner Webb, Iowa St, @N.Iowa, #19 Wisconsin, and Minn.) 5-7 against winning teams.

Illinois is out with a 19-8 record
10 wins against winning record teams.
Beat #1 indiana, #3 Gonzaga, #15 Bulter, #18 Ohio St.

Uh yeah, I see why Iowa is in the tourney over Illinois. Great system ESPN!!
Old Feb 21, 2013, 01:21 PM   #109
Holdemall
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcastan View Post
The process no,

but the metrics - RPI / Top 50 wins / SOS / etc. are transparent. Anyone with excel and the spare time can calculate it when they feel.

not so with KenPom.
http://kenpom.com/blog/index.php/web...tings_glossary

Coulda fooled me.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 01:35 PM   #110
cjcastan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdemall View Post
well i stand corrected.

I was going what I heard in a pod cast from CBS where they talked about the Mock process and wondering why KenPom isn't included.

Old Feb 21, 2013, 01:40 PM   #111
Dan
Admin
On a day when Illinois would be a 6 seed in the Big Ten Tourney, USA Today puts the Illini as a 5 seed in the NCAA Tourney out West.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...ament/1927375/
Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:10 PM   #112
Illwinsagain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
On a day when Illinois would be a 6 seed in the Big Ten Tourney, USA Today puts the Illini as a 5 seed in the NCAA Tourney out West.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...ament/1927375/
Illinois as a 5 seed playing Baylor, a 12 seed in Texas? After that, playing a team they have already played this season in the 3rd (formerly 2nd) round (I thought this was to be avoided)? I appreciate the respect, but I don't think he's done his homework on the bracket building side.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:24 PM   #113
illynifan34
That's a winner!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illwinsagain View Post
Illinois as a 5 seed playing Baylor, a 12 seed in Texas? After that, playing a team they have already played this season in the 3rd (formerly 2nd) round (I thought this was to be avoided)? I appreciate the respect, but I don't think he's done his homework on the bracket building side.
5 seeds aren't protected geographically, that only applies to seeds 1-4.

I think.

In Mike I Trust

Aggressive

Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:28 PM   #114
OrangeAndBlue217
Quote:
Originally Posted by illiniffpd View Post
BPI is a joke

Iowa is in with a 17-9 record (I'm fine with that). They have beat 5 teams with a WINNING record (Gardner Webb, Iowa St, @N.Iowa, #19 Wisconsin, and Minn.) 5-7 against winning teams.

Illinois is out with a 19-8 record
10 wins against winning record teams.
Beat #1 indiana, #3 Gonzaga, #15 Bulter, #18 Ohio St.

Uh yeah, I see why Iowa is in the tourney over Illinois. Great system ESPN!!
Their bracket is complete garbage based on that alone. If I knew nothing else about it, that would be enough.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 03:09 PM   #115
Illwinsagain
Quote:
Originally Posted by illynifan34 View Post
5 seeds aren't protected geographically, that only applies to seeds 1-4.

I think.
You may be right, I just didn't think having a 12 seed in their home state, as big as it may be, would be avoided if possible.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:47 AM   #116
Stook64
Do you suppose the tournament committee could have a sense of humor and place Illinois and Kansas St. in the same bracket?
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:08 AM   #117
FeelYourPaign
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stook64 View Post
Do you suppose the tournament committee could have a sense of humor and place Illinois and Kansas St. in the same bracket?
Would say that a lot of us think that is likely.
They are selling tv time and they know it.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:43 AM   #118
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stook64 View Post
People said the same thing about UI and KU after Self left, it took them 8 years so I'm not sure how much they were trying. Of course, it was harder with us being unavailable for several of those seasons.

I'm sure the committee would like to create those kinds of match ups, but the seeds and restrictions prevent them from doing too much. Also, there are so many teams we have a history with that fans will invent scenarios where they were "arranged" even though they might be random.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:03 AM   #119
PointGuardU01
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesterveltVictoryCigar View Post
People said the same thing about UI and KU after Self left, it took them 8 years so I'm not sure how much they were trying. Of course, it was harder with us being unavailable for several of those seasons.

I'm sure the committee would like to create those kinds of match ups, but the seeds and restrictions prevent them from doing too much. Also, there are so many teams we have a history with that fans will invent scenarios where they were "arranged" even though they might be random.
So true.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:33 AM   #120
Dan
Admin
Illinois remains a 6 seed in Jerry Palm's updated bracket-

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/bracketology
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:06 AM   #121
scubadunk
Illini a 8 seed in Lunardi Brackets

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:11 AM   #122
Illwinsagain
Quote:
so, UI moves up 2 seeds by squeaking by PSU? Wow, they must have a great BPI!
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:19 AM   #123
AHSIllini32
Banned
Quote:
ESPN is just so stupid anymore. I was watching the sportscenter this morning that aired last night and they were going through our resume before the highlights and one of the anchors said something to the effect of "they have a good rpi but that bpi might not be good enough to get them in the tournament".

Just such a joke.

Last edited by AHSIllini32; Feb 22, 2013 at 10:24 AM.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:28 AM   #124
scubadunk
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHSIllini32 View Post
ESPN is just so stupid anymore. I was watching the sports enter this morning that aired last night and they were going through our resume before the highlights and one of the anchors said something to the effect of "they have a good rpi but that bpi might not be good enough to get them in the tournament".

Just such a joke.
+1000. Illini's BPI dropped with a close win at home last night. Northern Iowa actually moved ahead of us as did Boise State. The BPI is just rediculous when you look at the rankings. A 17-11 Northern Iowa team is ahead of us. 14-11 Dayton is ahead of us. 16-11 Stanford is ahead of us. 16-10 Baylor is ahead of us. Maryland, Iowa, Akron, Belmont, Lasalle, California, Middle Tennessee St, Arizona State are all ahead of Illinois. It just makes me laugh at ESPN for trying to make this apart of the selection process. Its a terribly flawed system they created and should not even be talked about.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:33 AM   #125
Stook64
Same for ESPN'S QBR rating for quarterbacks..........
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »