Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (November 2012-March 2013)

Closed Thread

Old Jan 19, 2013, 07:32 PM   #4301
tprince34
Watching jalen James play vs trotwood Madison. Maverick Morgan is on.the hardwood tomorrow 8:15
Old Jan 19, 2013, 07:57 PM   #4302
Dreamteam05
Coach Groce visted Trevon Bluiett recently according to rivals. Its a premium article but it just says in the teaser that Groce was at his high school. He is really recruting 2014 even thos we currently have no open spots. Seems that there will be some attrition. I am all for Groce being honest with the kids about them not fitting his system and playing time. It would be a good decision for both parties. The kid or kids would get more pt and Groce can recruit his type of kids.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 08:13 PM   #4303
TCTORNADO
Quote:
Originally Posted by tprince34 View Post
Watching jalen James play vs trotwood Madison. Maverick Morgan is on.the hardwood tomorrow 8:15
morgan and Springboro were supposed to play Quality Education out of N.C., but because of snow in N.C. Q.E. couldn't make it. In their place Deon Sanders Prime Time Team #4 in nation takes on Boro. Prime time team has 4 Divi I players. Should be a good matchup for MM.
Maverick was not 1 of 12 McDonald;s nominees in Ohio, which is just shocking since a guy from Beavercreek (in Springboro's conference) made it and he has a much lesser resume.
BTW 3 guys from Seton Academy in Ill made the Mickey D's nominees. Must be lots of politics involved.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 08:31 PM   #4304
TCTORNADO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamteam05 View Post
Coach Groce visted Trevon Bluiett recently according to rivals. Its a premium article but it just says in the teaser that Groce was at his high school. He is really recruting 2014 even thos we currently have no open spots. Seems that there will be some attrition. I am all for Groce being honest with the kids about them not fitting his system and playing time. It would be a good decision for both parties. The kid or kids would get more pt and Groce can recruit his type of kids.
What about 2015 Jalen Coleman. I think he was JG's first offer back in June of last year. I can't believe he would offer and then just forget about him a few months later. Jalen Coleman is rated higher by some than Edwards and is much taller.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 09:09 PM   #4305
Foo G
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoggle101 View Post
Can how Shaw is playing which is very good regardless of his stats stay off the recruitingbthread?
Shaw's play and development directly impacts the recruiting/need at the PF position.
If he does not continue to improve and factor heavily into the rotation over the next 2 years, then his scholarship and spot on the roster become a factor.
That determines who we can or will pursue from a recruiting standpoint.
Same with Henry, Ibby, and Langford.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 09:17 PM   #4306
WashUIllini
http://www.wired.com/playbook/2012/0...cs-basketball/

I thought this was an interesting read about redefining traditional positions and fitting together cohesive groups that complement each other while not necessarily filling classic roles. It seemed tangentially related to talk here of roster composition so I hope it isn't out of place.

You will find we are currently very close to the Minnesota Timberwolves in his analysis. Few paint protectors or scoring rebounders.

Last edited by WashUIllini; Jan 19, 2013 at 09:21 PM.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:09 PM   #4307
cash35
How did Colbert do tonight?
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:18 PM   #4308
combes
Quote:
Originally Posted by cash35 View Post
Looked rusty but shows potential. NU recruit on his team loves to shoot but is a chucker, IMO.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:21 PM   #4309
illini73
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by combes View Post
Looked rusty but shows potential. NU recruit on his team loves to shoot but is a chucker, IMO.
Yeah he looked "ok" for the first game back this year. You can see his potential/talent though. Wish the team got him the ball more often or at least in a better position for him to score.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:54 PM   #4310
Trifecta23
Quote:
Originally Posted by illini73 View Post
Yeah he looked "ok" for the first game back this year. You can see his potential/talent though. Wish the team got him the ball more often or at least in a better position for him to score.
Fat like Parker rusty?
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:00 PM   #4311
Leonardite
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCTORNADO View Post
morgan and Springboro were supposed to play Quality Education out of N.C., but because of snow in N.C. Q.E. couldn't make it. In their place Deon Sanders Prime Time Team #4 in nation takes on Boro. Prime time team has 4 Divi I players. Should be a good matchup for MM.
Maverick was not 1 of 12 McDonald;s nominees in Ohio, which is just shocking since a guy from Beavercreek (in Springboro's conference) made it and he has a much lesser resume.
BTW 3 guys from Seton Academy in Ill made the Mickey D's nominees. Must be lots of politics involved.
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: WOW.

So easy.
So easy.
So easy.

"Frank Williams putting on a show passing the rock! Driving, Drawing, and Dishing the rock! The three D's man!" --- The Frank Williams Show
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:17 PM   #4312
BrooksTaylorFan
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonHoffman View Post
Jalen Brunson scores an Illini offer. He would be our first true point guard since Dee Brown, correct? All I can think of from video I've seen is Kendall Marshall.

Question: With Matthews and Brunson both classified as point guards, I'm sure that they can coexist, but will they want to coexist?
Somewhere a Salty cat is smiling about Brunson.

Matthews is a wing, not a PG.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:12 AM   #4313
Illinifn79
Banned
I really like Marcus Derrickson who is a soph at Paul VI. He has great touch and a 6'7 frame. Not really sure if he is on Illinois radar or if even going to attempt to go after him or not.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:56 AM   #4314
illini73
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trifecta23 View Post
Fat like Parker rusty?
No not fat at all. As a matter of fact he has a nice frame that will hold much more muscle. He is very athletic!
Old Jan 20, 2013, 07:40 AM   #4315
Letswinagain
Hill scores 28 and is tourney MVP

Malcom Hill had 28 last night and was named tourney MVP as Bellville East won its own tournament by beating previously undefeated Madison.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/high-...a4bcf6878.html
Old Jan 20, 2013, 08:07 AM   #4316
ILHoff
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooksTaylorFan View Post
Somewhere a Salty cat is smiling about Brunson.

Matthews is a wing, not a PG.

Is this verified that Brunson has an offer?

I think Matthews has the potential to play PG in the Anfernee Hardaway / Shaun Livingston mold. He'll obviously have to keep improving, but has a chance to be in that same class of basketball player.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 08:09 AM   #4317
combes
Yes, Brunson has an offer. Brunson and Matthews could play together nicely, imo
Old Jan 20, 2013, 08:12 AM   #4318
LibertyIllini
I've seen Brunson play a few teams this year and I can say that he is indeed a great floor general and leader. He's got some good handles and athleticism while being able and willing to pass to his teammates after creating off the bounce. The NSC is a little down this year in talent, I mean sure you could argue Malik Yarbrough from Zion and that Evan Bodreaux guy from Lake Forest are D1 talent, but I just am not seeing the type of competition on the court that I have seen in years past.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 08:39 AM   #4319
IlliniBacker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letswinagain View Post
Malcom Hill had 28 last night and was named tourney MVP as Bellville East won its own tournament by beating previously undefeated Madison.
Question for those who have seen Hill play? Does he play with an edge and is he a killer?

I'm hoping Groce will recruit players with some grit, some of that Kenny Battle win at all costs attitude, kids that play with some heart. (I think that's Groce's kind of kid, we shall see)

For me as a fan it's been tough to watch Weber's recruits over the last few years and their lack of killer instinct... I think that's the main downfall of this year's team as well. Even the good ones... nice kids, talented, but winners?? Paul, DJ, Bertrand (I think Bert would be tougher if surrounded by a team of killers though), Shaw, Griffey, Henry, McCamey, Tisdale, Davis. None of those guys had an edge. Some of them showed flashes, but it wasn't in their DNA.

The only kids on the roster now that play with grit are Abrams, Egwu, Sam (but zero talent), and Ravonte Rice sitting out this year. Other than that it's 'meh' as far as I'm concerned.

Got sidetracked there, but back to my original question... Does Hill play with an edge? How about any of the other recruits coming in?

On that note, it sounds like Ullis plays with a chip on his shoulder from everything I've read. I hope Groce picks up the recruiting on him. Passing on him seems like something right out of Weber's playbook. (I've no clue if he's even interested in Illinois or not)
Old Jan 20, 2013, 08:39 AM   #4320
ILHoff
Quote:
I agree. This is good news. After reading some of the articles recently written on him, he seems to have the hard working attitude that can succeed at this level.

People seem to have a good pulse on the Charles Matthews and DJ Williams recruitments and where we stand. Does anyone know where we stand with Brunson?
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:54 AM   #4321
Selfconfour
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonHoffman View Post
I still stand by the theory that the '15 class will help Groce get the ship turned around. Can our impatient fan base wait that long? Only time will tell...
Do people seriously think elite level recruits will come here in 2015 if we fail to make the tournament this year and next? :laugh:
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:07 AM   #4322
Foo G
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selfconfour View Post
Do people seriously think elite level recruits will come here in 2015 if we fail to make the tournament this year and next? :laugh:
I think the kids that are buying into the "Our state, our team" concept will want to be part of the turnaround.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:22 AM   #4323
SummerofGeorge
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCTORNADO View Post
I view the McDonald's list like I do their food... Tastes good but can be hazardous to your health!
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:23 AM   #4324
BlindLoyalty
Quote:
Originally Posted by cash35 View Post
Quote:
Carlwell didn't do much but that is because his teammate, Pullen is a chucker.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:32 AM   #4325
BrooksTaylorFan
Banned
Quote:
+1. And the recruiting pitch will be for them to play together too.
Closed Thread