Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (November 2012-March 2013)

Closed Thread

Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:40 PM   #4451
IL2000
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymousalcoholic View Post
pretty good rebounding, too, for a guy who does not weigh anything.
Huh? Maverick is a big body, from what I have heard.

Edit: Never mind. I see that it lists his weight as "0".
Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:41 PM   #4452
Dreamteam05
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange julius View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by illini73 View Post
Abrams, Bertrand and Henry are all average to above average shooters (if they continue to improve in the off-season anyways).
Abrams is currently a 28% 3 point shooter. Henry shoots 33%. Not good. Not even average. Both will need to make very unusual improvements. Rice is a terrible long distance shooter. If all 3 of those guys are in the starting lineup prepare for some ugly basketball.

What do you think Rice has been doing during this redshirt year?! Do you not think he has been working at his shot with his coaches this whole time? Im not saying he will be a 45% shooter im just saying hes bound to improve given all the practice time hes had.

Paul Klee said Rice was the second best player on the team this year. He is going to improve quite a bit im sure. And he the type of player this years team really needs, a player who is hard nosed and will get after it, and he is someone who can get into the lane and finish with contact.

Last edited by Dan; Jan 22, 2013 at 01:58 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:43 PM   #4453
dacookiemonsta
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange julius View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by illini73 View Post
Abrams, Bertrand and Henry are all average to above average shooters (if they continue to improve in the off-season anyways).
Abrams is currently a 28% 3 point shooter. Henry shoots 33%. Not good. Not even average. Both will need to make very unusual improvements. Rice is a terrible long distance shooter. If all 3 of those guys are in the starting lineup prepare for some ugly basketball.
Henry was a great 3 point shooter and scorer in h.s.

Pretty difficult to draw conclusions based off scattered minutes here and there and not being able to actually get into the flow of the offense.

Last edited by Dan; Jan 22, 2013 at 01:58 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 02:01 PM   #4454
Kramer116
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacookiemonsta View Post
Henry was a great 3 point shooter and scorer in h.s.

Pretty difficult to draw conclusions based off scattered minutes here and there and not being able to actually get into the flow of the offense.
Alex Legion was as well.

Not comparing the two, but it has happened in the past.

Hall of Shame:
@TomCrean: I am doing great. I have been thinking about you alot since last weekend. A whole lot. How are you doing?
"W.I.N.(T.) Whatever is necessary today" - Tim Beckman
"It's not ideal but for now, I don't think it'll put a dagger in the heart of the program" - Paul Kowalczyk
Old Jan 22, 2013, 02:44 PM   #4455
IlliniJim20
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgwasmyfavorite View Post
I was at the first 4 games of the Hoophall classic yesterday and wanted to share some thoughts. (Had some pics, but evidently too large to post)

First, Aaron Gordonwas the most impressive kid we saw out a bunch of great players/teams. Clearly, he was the only reason his team was invited to this game as the rest of his teammates were not very good. They only had one other kid over 6'5" on the team. It was a huge mismatch...but his attitude, toughness and effort were off the charts. He was communicating/coaching on the floor. He was diving for loose balls down 40 (FORTY) late in the fourth quarter. Most of all, he was getting triple teamed, playing a much better team, banging (sometimes guarding) a kid going to BYU who was 2 inches taller and 20 pounds heavier...yet not once did that kid complain to refs, pout or stop trying. Not to mention, he can play like a poor man's Lebron. He can jump out of the gym, shoot, handle the ball and defend. So impressive! I really hope he doesn't choose Kentucky so I can continue to root for him.

As for our guys, Tate and Nunn, this was the first time that I have seen them play in person and let me just say...they are IMPRESSIVE. We watched 8 really good teams play yesterday and they were the best overall guards of the day. First, they are super quick and athletic. So fast on the fast break that they make the court look small. Secondly, and most impressively, they got after it on the defensive side. The reason Simeon is as good as they are is 50% due to the strips, steals, deflections, zero ball penetration that these two guys create/allow (the other 50% is due to some kid going to Duke). Third, KN's shot is beautiful! His form is flawless and ball rotation is to die for. Fourth, JTate has great court vision. He sees the floor so well for a high school kid. Sure, he had 3 to's, but that is because he is seeing every nook and cranny and trying to make the impossible happen, which most of the time he does. The refinement of this skill is sure to come with maturity, but I just don't think you can teach vision. This kid is born with it. Also, love how he doesn't pick up his dribble until its needed. Such a bad habit for so many pg's out there and glad that he seems to have already gotten past that.

Got a chance to talk to several guys around us from NE and some guys that came up from Philly, we all agreed that Simeon was the best team on the floor on Monday. It would have been great to see the winners play (like a tournament) to see if they could have handled Findlay's guards.

Came away very impressed and wishing we had these guys to suit up for us in Lincoln tonight.
Second time I have seen Lone Peak play, once in person, once on TV. IMHO they were the best team I have seen all year, including at the Hoopball. Like Whitney Young, their only loss this year is to Montverde. I made the same comment after the CEC and stated they could beat Simeon. I was ridiculed for that comment, until Robert Smith said the same thing.

They have it all, size in the middle, ball handling, basketball iq, great offense and incredible shooters. Right now they are #3 in non prep school rankings behind Mater Dei and Whitney Young. I have not seen a better team all year.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 02:54 PM   #4456
OskeeWowWow
Some news on Ohio Basketball and Maverick's stats.

Mav Morgan is the #4 ranked Senior players in the state of Ohio. Only 3 guys in front of him: 1. Marc Loving (Ohio St), 2-Mark Donnal (Mich), and 3-Nigel Hayes (Wisc).

Mav averages a dbl/dbl, and looks to be a man among boys. He also seems to be a good FT shooter too which will be important for Illini.

Data below compiled a week ago:

Springboro is ranked #20 in the State of Ohio in Division I (highest level).

http://www.usatodayhss.com/rankings/...76463&state=OH

-Springboro's state stats are SOS=48, POW=24, OFF=41, DEF=63. They are currently 12-2 thru 1/11

-They lost @ Wayne by 3pts (ranked 39th in state (D1); SOS=59, POW=41, OFF=34, DEF=171): Mav had Dbl/Dbl 23pts, 12rebs & 3blk

-They lost vs Walnut Hills by 1pt (ranked #4 in state (D1); SOS =27, POW=3, OFF=15, DEF=18: Mav had 25pts, 10rebs & 4blks

All the other teams in conference aren't ranked in top 30 in D1 State, so they aren't the CPS. I would say his competition would be like a pretty good suburb conference in Chicagoland (i.e. DVC, WSC). The Trice kid for MSU is from the conference. I would say much stronger in Football. Braxton Miller is from Mav conference.

If I had to guess, Mav Morgan won't be soft in the B1G, but he'll have a learning curve just like most non-elite bigs
Old Jan 22, 2013, 03:04 PM   #4457
Letswinagain
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtownillini View Post
Not to be negative but I don't see Nunn helping much next year. Hes got D.J.s handles with Pauls decision making. I think Tate will be more of a factor as a freshman.

LOL! Your "not to be negative"comment has nothing positive in it about Kendrick Nunn, and based on that, saying "Tate will be more of a factor" isn't very positive either.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 03:06 PM   #4458
kgwasmyfavorite
Banned
They were VERY good and BYU is going to be good for the next few years. But, Gordon's team really didn't have anyone else who could do much. And, just the height differential made it an impossible match up. I would love to see that game, though. I think you have a lot of fun match-ups (parker/Mika; Nunn/#11; and Tate/Emery) in that game. I think Simeon have the advantage in the first two and that they would win the game. They have come a long way since I last saw them in their loss in TX. JP has the rust knocked off, everyone else is in trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJim20 View Post
Second time I have seen Lone Peak play, once in person, once on TV. IMHO they were the best team I have seen all year, including at the Hoopball. Like Whitney Young, their only loss this year is to Montverde. I made the same comment after the CEC and stated they could beat Simeon. I was ridiculed for that comment, until Robert Smith said the same thing.

They have it all, size in the middle, ball handling, basketball iq, great offense and incredible shooters. Right now they are #3 in non prep school rankings behind Mater Dei and Whitney Young. I have not seen a better team all year.

Last edited by kgwasmyfavorite; Jan 22, 2013 at 03:11 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 03:39 PM   #4459
AzIlliniFan
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letswinagain View Post
LOL! Your "not to be negative"comment has nothing positive in it about Kendrick Nunn, and based on that, saying "Tate will be more of a factor" isn't very positive either.
You left off the most important part of his quote, "as a freshman". Tate immediately being the #2 PG from the moment he sets foot on campus IMHO does make him more important than Nunn, again "as a freshman". I firmly believe that Tate doing well in his backup role will have more of an impact on the team than Nunn doing well in his backup role. I guess we'll know in about a year eh?
Old Jan 22, 2013, 03:41 PM   #4460
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Great to see Morgan doing well, but people plugging him into the starting lineup probably need to tap those brakes a bit. He's still a 3 star big, those guys typically need at least a season to adjust before they are ready to contribute. I'm hoping he can give us 5-10 minutes as Egwu's backup next year.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 04:05 PM   #4461
IlliniJim20
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgwasmyfavorite View Post
They were VERY good and BYU is going to be good for the next few years. But, Gordon's team really didn't have anyone else who could do much. And, just the height differential made it an impossible match up. I would love to see that game, though. I think you have a lot of fun match-ups (parker/Mika; Nunn/#11; and Tate/Emery) in that game. I think Simeon have the advantage in the first two and that they would win the game. They have come a long way since I last saw them in their loss in TX. JP has the rust knocked off, everyone else is in trouble.
Strange side note, the BYU boys will not be together for three years. Emery, #4 is taking his mission next year and Mika #55 is taking his the following year. No mention of when Haws, #11 is taking his, but he is a junior I believe.

For me it is Lone Peak's three point shooting and ball movement to get those open threes is what impresses me. They are athletic enough IMO to hang with many teams, but their teamwork is what impresses me most.

This is about the 6th/7th time I have seen Simeon play. Best I have seen Parker. Before this, not counting CEC game where he was coming back from injury, I was not overly impressed. Great talent, but I did not see the #1/2 player, nor a one and done. Just my opinion.

Hopefully he doesn't bring that v. Whitney Young this weekend :-)
Old Jan 22, 2013, 05:18 PM   #4462
SummerofGeorge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letswinagain View Post
He is right only in the sense that Nunn needs to clean up his ball handling. I do not think Rob Smith requires a great deal of discipline with decision making so I think this will improve. Where Nunn is different is with his leadership, athleticism, and motor. This kid is much different than Paul and Richardson in his mental makeup.

I also don't think he will need to contribute huge minutes his freshman year. With Abrams, Rice, Hill, Henry, and Bertrand we should not need him to log big minutes. Tate is NOT more BIG ready than Nunn right now. Tate has promise but he is still very thin and gets knocked around pretty easily.

I am concerned about the bigs though, especially, if Egwu does not make huge strides before next year. We may need Morgan to play more than 10 min/game.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 05:26 PM   #4463
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerofGeorge View Post
Tate is NOT more BIG ready than Nunn right now. Tate has promise but he is still very thin and gets knocked around pretty easily.
Tate might not be as ready, but he plays a more critical position for next year's team. Unless Bertrand is ready to be the backup PG to Abrams (really a combo guard), Tate will have to play.

Old Jan 22, 2013, 05:38 PM   #4464
ChiTownIllini22
Banned
Quote:

Not everyone ridiculed you. I agreed 100% at the time and still do.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 05:42 PM   #4465
RichBradIllini
I believe i heard the Simeon/Oak Hill announcers say the Whitney Young @ Simeon game is televised this Saturday on ESPNU. Didn't catch a time.

Edit: I can't confirm this. Game time is @ 4:00 but I don't see it on a TV schedule.

Last edited by RichBradIllini; Jan 22, 2013 at 05:53 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 06:12 PM   #4466
WizardBill
Illini optimist
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesterveltVictoryCigar View Post
Great to see Morgan doing well, but people plugging him into the starting lineup probably need to tap those brakes a bit. He's still a 3 star big, those guys typically need at least a season to adjust before they are ready to contribute. I'm hoping he can give us 5-10 minutes as Egwu's backup next year.
Wasn't ML a 4 star big? We saw what he did as a freshman (nothing).

AND, I am not a hater. Robinson is my hometown, too. Definitely love ML, but, temper expectations of a freshman big. In HS, they could dominate every game. Moving to the B1G, they are just a new kid who is in a different league now.

Because Indiana sucks!
Old Jan 22, 2013, 06:14 PM   #4467
Chilliniwek
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBradIllini View Post
I believe i heard the Simeon/Oak Hill announcers say the Whitney Young @ Simeon game is televised this Saturday on ESPNU. Didn't catch a time.

Edit: I can't confirm this. Game time is @ 4:00 but I don't see it on a TV schedule.
I just checked my Comcast guide and it shows the game at 8:00 -9:30 on Saturday on ESPNU. Last I heard though, they hadn't decided where the game would be played because of last week's shooting.

The game was also supposed to be played at chicago State, but that may change.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 06:14 PM   #4468
morif
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
Tate might not be as ready, but he plays a more critical position for next year's team. Unless Bertrand is ready to be the backup PG to Abrams (really a combo guard), Tate will have to play.
I have to disagree with your assessment of Tate. I actually see him being able to contribute more than Nunn and sooner. He may not be as physically strong, but he has a much better shooting skill than Nunn at this time and does a very good job of distributing the ball. He is also pretty good on defense. Whle I see Nunn as very athletic I also don't see him as a very good shooter. As a 2 guard I would want a good shooter more than just being able to dribble and pass. Hopefully Nunn will be able to improve his shooting skills once he becomes an Illini. He does have lots of potential due to his athletic ability and his quickness. He also seems to have a good basketball IQ as well. But like you mentioned, Tate fills a need more than Nunn due to position......I have seen Simeon play 4 times this year and have seen Tate improve quite a bit. He too has lots of potential. The one who impresses me most is DJ Williams. I want to see him in Orange and Blue!!!
Old Jan 22, 2013, 06:21 PM   #4469
IlliniJim20
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBradIllini View Post

Pretty sure game is at 8:00, unless they changed it for security reasons.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 06:22 PM   #4470
IlliniJim20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownIllini22 View Post
Not everyone ridiculed you. I agreed 100% at the time and still do.
I do recall that support. Like you, I think Lone Peak can take them, even with a healthy and fit Parker.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 06:43 PM   #4471
SummerofGeorge
Quote:
Pretty sure game is at 8:00, unless they changed it for security reasons.
8:00 is what it said on ESPN yesterday.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 06:43 PM   #4472
RyanK
Sort of OT, but I thought it'd be fun to go back and look at the 2012 class to see how they're performing as freshman.

1. Fred Van Vleet (Wichita St.
13.9 MPG 2.9 PPG 1.8 RPG 2.1 APG

2. Steve Taylor (Marquette)
8.7 MPG 3.1 PPG 1.8 RPG 0.1 APG

3. Michael Orris (Kansas St.)
4.9 MPG 0.5 PPG 0.3 RPG 0.5 APG

4. Jay Simpson (Purdue)
REDSHIRT

5. CJ Jones (Manhattan)
13.7 MPG 2.7 PPG 1.3 RPG 1.1 APG

Anthony Beane (SIUC)
30.6 MPG 10.1 PPG 2.6 RPG 1.9 APG

Just some food for thought on a boring Monday. I'm a big Van Vleet fan..wish we would have grabbed him late last year.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 06:58 PM   #4473
jmat
Banned
ryan you must have had yesterday off? haha
Old Jan 22, 2013, 07:05 PM   #4474
RyanK
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmat View Post
ryan you must have had yesterday off? haha
Guess it's already Tuesday, huh?:laugh:

It was a busy weekend for me, so I took a day off today to relax. That turned into boredom, which then turned into pointless 2012 basketball recruiting research.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 07:14 PM   #4475
jmat
Banned
hey man im glad you do that research because thats what i look forward to reading every evening
Closed Thread