Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Michigan State coach Jud Heathcote dies at 90

Old Aug 29, 2017, 09:28 AM   #1
dgcrow
One of the really good ones has passed away:

http://www.msuspartans.com/sports/m-...082917aab.html
http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaa...zmi?li=BBnb7Kz

Last edited by Dan; Aug 29, 2017 at 09:32 AM.
dgcrow is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2017, 09:48 AM   #2
CoalCity
Hate to hear that. He and Lou had some classic battles. Best wishes to his family, friends and former players.
CoalCity is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2017, 10:15 AM   #3
Ransom Stoddard
Ordained Dudeist Priest
Jud was a classy guy. I always thought he was very similar to Lou in his style and type of play.

One of my enduring memories, however, is of him somehow with the ball in his hands after a frustrating play or call. He slammed the ball against the court with two hands and it bounced right back and hit him in the face. "Stunned" is a mild way to describe his reaction.

Old Aug 29, 2017, 10:28 AM   #4
Innocent Primate
Sorry to hear of his passing.

As I recall the play, State was on offense in front of the State bench. State threw the ball away or lost it out-of-bounds and it went straight to Heathcote standing up on the out-of-bounds line a few steps from the State bench. In frustration, he grabbed it with both hands, sort of leaned the top part of his body over and slammed the ball against the floor right in front of his feet. The ball immediately rebounded back right in his puss. (State always was a good rebounding team.) Of course, memory can play tricks.
Innocent Primate is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2017, 11:07 AM   #5
CHI 1086
We Ready
Just watched him on BTN coaches show. Classy and witty until the end.
CHI 1086 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2017, 01:39 PM   #6
NJILLINI
Lost one of the really good ones. Loved as a student and after being there when Illinois played MSU. Some tremendous battles. And like many others here, was in the building when EJ hit the corner winner. Of course, Jud got the last laugh that year with Earvin, Jay and Kelser.

As an aside, anyone remember who provided terrific unintended comedy when they confused Jud with Jim Jeffcoat after they were drafted by the Dallas Cowboys? I think the quote was something like, "I'm really excited to be able to play with and learn from other great defensive ends like Jud Heathcote and Harvey Martin." Funny. And, no, it wasn't an Illini player.

RIP, Jud!
NJILLINI is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2017, 06:32 PM   #7
Stevegarbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransom Stoddard View Post
Jud was a classy guy. I always thought he was very similar to Lou in his style and type of play.

One of my enduring memories, however, is of him somehow with the ball in his hands after a frustrating play or call. He slammed the ball against the court with two hands and it bounced right back and hit him in the face. "Stunned" is a mild way to describe his reaction.

Just shared the same memory with my family- I saw this live at AH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stevegarbs is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2017, 06:52 PM   #8
FeelYourPaign
Rollie Massimino goes in the same week

Old Aug 30, 2017, 07:18 PM   #9
Ransom Stoddard
Ordained Dudeist Priest
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelYourPaign View Post
Rollie Massimino goes in the same week
Another class act. Rollie had some great Nova teams and that 85 upset over Ewing's Georgetown team was one for the ages.

Old Sep 5, 2017, 11:47 AM   #10
Peoria Illini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransom Stoddard View Post

I remember that game. I think it was an early Jan game and I was at home watching the game on tv. They kept replaying it over and over...

RIP Jud!!!
Peoria Illini is offline Reply With Quote