Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

UI Basketball's Biggest Rival(s)

View Poll Results: Who do you consider Illinois basketball's biggest rival?
Indiana Hoosiers 130 66.33%
Missouri Tigers 34 17.35%
Iowa Hawkeyes 15 7.65%
Northwestern Wildcats 12 6.12%
Michigan Wolverines 2 1.02%
Michigan State Spartans 1 0.51%
Ohio State Buckeyes 0 0%
Purdue Boilermakers 2 1.02%
Wisconsin Badgers 0 0%
Other (comment below) 0 0%
Voters: 196. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old Aug 10, 2017, 08:27 AM   #51
Illiniguy13
Posts: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwingillini11 View Post
Historically, IU. But today its Mizzou, no question about it.
Exactly. These days Indiana fans don't really see us as a rival. Mizzou is our #1 rival currently!
Illiniguy13 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2017, 09:00 AM   #52
Calvin
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,598
Caveat: IMHO, we don't have a natural rival, so it shifts depending on the landscape.

I'm an outlier, but I voted Northwestern. I think they poked the bear when they claimed they were Chicago's BIG team (according to an NYT survey, it's actually more Notre Dame than anything). On top of that, we're historically a much better program that has had a down cycle, while they're the exact opposite. With our new coach, new arena, and renewed interest, I think this sets up well for some nice years of rivalry as we reassert ourselves.
Calvin is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2017, 09:10 AM   #53
Whitman2020
The Unbanned
Posts: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illiniguy13 View Post
Exactly. These days Indiana fans don't really see us as a rival. Mizzou is our #1 rival currently!
I would take every B1G over the Missouri game. Couldn't care less about them.
Whitman2020 is online now Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2017, 09:43 AM   #54
Illwinsagain
Location: Cary, IL
Posts: 1,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin View Post
Caveat: IMHO, we don't have a natural rival, so it shifts depending on the landscape.

I'm an outlier, but I voted Northwestern. I think they poked the bear when they claimed they were Chicago's BIG team (according to an NYT survey, it's actually more Notre Dame than anything). On top of that, we're historically a much better program that has had a down cycle, while they're the exact opposite. With our new coach, new arena, and renewed interest, I think this sets up well for some nice years of rivalry as we reassert ourselves.
I may be in the minority here, but one good year (their best ever), when they lost to us twice. A year so bad for us, we fired our coach. Does not make a rivalry. I don't study the other teams much, with people putting NW in the top 25 this year, I don't see it. If you want to say in Football that they are a rivalry, I would still disagree, but certainly see your point.
Illwinsagain is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2017, 09:57 AM   #55
Illinimobile
Posts: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illwinsagain View Post
I may be in the minority here, but one good year (their best ever), when they lost to us twice. A year so bad for us, we fired our coach. Does not make a rivalry. I don't study the other teams much, with people putting NW in the top 25 this year, I don't see it. If you want to say in Football that they are a rivalry, I would still disagree, but certainly see your point.
I agree on the Basketball side, but I do think they are our biggest rival in football.
Illinimobile is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2017, 12:02 PM   #56
IlliniJim20
Posts: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter of the Nightman View Post
My sister lives in Indianapolis (went to Butler, works at Chase now), and she has had different experiences. She said that a lot of hardcore (and disproportionately male) IU fans take some strange pride in pointing out (over and over and over) that Kentucky is their biggest rival and Purdue is second and Illinois doesn't touch either ... but the more casual IU fans absolutely see UI-IU as "rivalry #3," and people in Indiana absolutely hate the Illini.
Anectodal evidence, but when I was younger, it seemed much of the Iowa hatred of Illinois was from Illinois students who could not get into Illinois.

Recently, I have noticed a trend of Illinois students attending Indiana. Again anecdotally, but it seems maybe they will end up hating Illinois in similar fashion?

__________________
IlliniJim20 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2017, 01:44 PM   #57
TCTORNADO
Posts: 9,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJim20 View Post
Anectodal evidence, but when I was younger, it seemed much of the Iowa hatred of Illinois was from Illinois students who could not get into Illinois.

Recently, I have noticed a trend of Illinois students attending Indiana. Again anecdotally, but it seems maybe they will end up hating Illinois in similar fashion?
IU was doing an in state tuition for Illinois students for awhile to try and attract better and brighter students from beyond their borders. They have a tough time competing with a smaller instate student base because of two fairly large student populations.
TCTORNADO is online now Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2017, 01:58 PM   #58
ChiefIllini
Posts: 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCTORNADO View Post
IU was doing an in state tuition for Illinois students for awhile to try and attract better and brighter students from beyond their borders. They have a tough time competing with a smaller instate student base because of two fairly large student populations.
I believe Minny does this for Wisconsin based students.

Still, I know probably 6 or 7 people who applied to UI as their first choice and when they didn't get in, shifted to Iowa. Iowa was by far the largest backup plan, followed by NIU and ISU.
ChiefIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2017, 02:04 PM   #59
cornfed2
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveStar View Post
What do you mean?

Laughed out loud when this picture of Fran popped up. It is literally one of the funniest things I have ever seen. Had to vote Indiana, as I have too many relatives just south of Bloomington, IN and they despise us just as much as we despise them in basketball.
cornfed2 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2017, 04:57 PM   #60
IlliniSaluki
IlliniSaluki's Avatar
Location: IL metro east burbs of St. Louis
Posts: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgoldie View Post
I could see Indiana, Iowa, or Wisky being the answer for those from other parts of the state. But if you grew up anywhere south of Springfield in or close to the STL media market as I did, then I can't imagine you'd answer other than Miznoz.
I'm in the Metro East and I still answered Indiana. Maybe it's my age of growing up in The Lou Do Era, Henson vs Knight.
IlliniSaluki is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2017, 07:33 PM   #61
Illini_1979
Illini_1979's Avatar
Location: Oregon
Posts: 991
It has always been, and shall forever be..........Indiana
Illini_1979 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2017, 08:03 PM   #62
UpstateRusty
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgoldie View Post
Well I picked Miznoz for personal reasons. My 1st college hoops memories were rooting for that Stipo Sunvold Frazier Mizzou team, how embarrassing... my dad figured out what was happening when I was like 8 or 9 and staged a full blown intervention... started taking me to games in Champaign and everything to wash the Norm Stewart foulness off me. Still there will always be a special dark place in my heart for Michigan that goes way beyond "conference hatred" due to 1989.
^^^ THIS. 1989!!
UpstateRusty is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2017, 08:42 PM   #63
Illini B-Ball Fan
Illini B-Ball Fan's Avatar
Location: Racine WI
Posts: 1,400
Growing up near the Quad Cities, working there, and watching Illini-basketball for many years, the primary rival during the 1980s & 1990s was always Iowa, especially during the Deon Thomas-era that led to the NCAA leveling infractions against the Illini. For those that can recall - remember a person called Bruce (snake) Pearl? That further brings back lots of memories of the Illini going to the Final Four in 1989 and the mantra was, "Kenny Battle went to Seattle, but Roy Marble didn't." Pressing forward to today, I would make it Indiana as the primary rival, Wisconsin as a close second, and Iowa as third.

__________________
Illini game plan - It's not how fast you play, it's how well you play fast.
Illini B-Ball Fan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2017, 08:48 AM   #64
Fighter of the Nightman
Fighter of the Nightman's Avatar
Location: Iowa City, IA
Posts: 460
What look to be the final(ish) results:

1. Indiana Hoosiers (66.67%)
2. Missouri Tigers (17.90%)
3. Iowa Hawkeyes (6.79%)

I wonder what a county map of IL would look like for the results of this question. Would be super interesting.
Fighter of the Nightman is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2017, 09:59 AM   #65
CHI 1086
We Ready
Location: Merced CA
Posts: 8
For me, there a few prerequisites to claim rivalry status. First, over the long term, there needs to be a minimum level of competitiveness. Short term streaks aside, there needs to be the expectation that either side can rise to the occasion any year. A part of this is that the fan base should be energized regardless of the immediate status of either program. For me, this eliminates the Kitties. These requirements need to be drivers for both major sports. The acrimony needs to transcend one or two historic events. For me this eliminates Iowa. My first thought was IU but I chose Ohio State. Upon reflection, while we have had some spirited encounters and our fan base seems to rise to the occasion, I don't think that it has the seem level of intensity of say Miss or OH. Based on the level of intensity in both fan bases, the historical events and the fact that we don't play Mo consistently in football, I would like to change my vote to IU.
CHI 1086 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2017, 11:27 AM   #66
Ransom Stoddard
Ordained Dudeist Priest
Location: Johns Creek, GA
Posts: 3,665
If you didn't put Indiana, you're either very young or so old your memory is gone.


__________________
A man can get discouraged many times but he is not a failure until he begins to blame somebody else and stops trying. ~ John Burroughs
Ransom Stoddard is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2017, 03:06 PM   #67
Old Number 51
Posts: 77
I had to vote for the Hawkeye's. I can never forgive the underhanded dealings of Lute and his evil minion Pearl.


To have our Illini beat Pearl/UMW and Lute/AZ in the 2005 NCAA's was SWEET revenge!!


The look on Lute's face was priceless )
Old Number 51 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2017, 03:25 PM   #68
IlliniinIowa
Posts: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illini B-Ball Fan View Post
Growing up near the Quad Cities, working there, and watching Illini-basketball for many years, the primary rival during the 1980s & 1990s was always Iowa, especially during the Deon Thomas-era that led to the NCAA leveling infractions against the Illini. For those that can recall - remember a person called Bruce (snake) Pearl? That further brings back lots of memories of the Illini going to the Final Four in 1989 and the mantra was, "Kenny Battle went to Seattle, but Roy Marble didn't." Pressing forward to today, I would make it Indiana as the primary rival, Wisconsin as a close second, and Iowa as third.
You've got it wrong there, man

It's Bruce (Satan) Pearl.
IlliniinIowa is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2017, 04:25 PM   #69
Illini B-Ball Fan
Illini B-Ball Fan's Avatar
Location: Racine WI
Posts: 1,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniinIowa View Post
You've got it wrong there, man

It's Bruce (Satan) Pearl.
Not sure if you're being facetious or not, but here's a reference found in Wikipedia: In 2006, when asked in an interview about forgiving Pearl, (Deon) Thomas said, "It's hard to forgive a snake".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deon_Thomas

__________________
Illini game plan - It's not how fast you play, it's how well you play fast.
Illini B-Ball Fan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2017, 08:34 PM   #70
NJILLINI
Location: Castle Pines, Colorado
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyIdub View Post
It's weird that Wisky never amounted to more of a rivalry over the years. I lived up there for a year and, man, do they hate them some Illinoisans.

I learned:
FIB = F'ing Illinois Bastard
FIBWOB = " " With a Boat
My favorite one I've heard from folks up there is similar to one of yours.

FISHTAB = F'ing Illinois S-Head Towing A Boat

Pretty creative, I thought.
NJILLINI is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2017, 08:35 AM   #71
WizardBill
Illini optimist
WizardBill's Avatar
Location: Charleston
Posts: 1,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacraig View Post
Sounds like you need a new wife.
Yeah. Except it's my sister's husband!

__________________
Why do the trees in Illinois all lean east?

Because Indiana sucks!
WizardBill is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2017, 06:09 PM   #72
IlliniJim20
Posts: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illini B-Ball Fan View Post
Not sure if you're being facetious or not, but here's a reference found in Wikipedia: In 2006, when asked in an interview about forgiving Pearl, (Deon) Thomas said, "It's hard to forgive a snake".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deon_Thomas
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniinIowa View Post
You've got it wrong there, man

It's Bruce (Satan) Pearl.
I believe snake came first, Sagan was later added by Illini fans.

Both are appropropriate

__________________
IlliniJim20 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2017, 11:24 PM   #73
WizardBill
Illini optimist
WizardBill's Avatar
Location: Charleston
Posts: 1,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJim20 View Post
I believe snake came first, Sagan was later added by Illini fans.

Both are appropropriate
Carl is gonna be MAAAADDDD!

__________________
Why do the trees in Illinois all lean east?

Because Indiana sucks!
WizardBill is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2017, 10:37 AM   #74
brindelin
Posts: 27
Where I grew up, which is well south of Springfield (but on the other side of the state) I'd say Indiana is the most common rival.
brindelin is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2017, 08:17 PM   #75
illiniguy24
illiniguy24's Avatar
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,076
I'll hate UNC forever, more than any B1G team


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
illiniguy24 is online now Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools

Forum Jump