Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

FBI College Basketball Corruption Investigation

Old Sep 26, 2017, 08:10 AM   #26
Chieftain13
I skimmed the section showing the details on Lamont and it looks like he was taking cash bribes from several sources including agents and financial representatives to steer student athletes to them when they go pro.

There is one part that specifically mentions how they donít offer the bribes to head coaches because they make too much already and they wonít take it because it is too risky. Maybe thatís a good sign as it related to BU.
Chieftain13 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2017, 08:11 AM   #27
ILL in IA
Reps from Adidas and Nike for "making and concealing bribe payments to high school athletes and their families." I knew the shoe companies have been steering guys away from Illinois. Feds should have been on here after Clifmas. They would have know why Adidas got KFC to KU
ILL in IA is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2017, 08:15 AM   #28
miketherevelator
presser at noon -- i assume ET.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/26/ncaa...n-charges.html
miketherevelator is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2017, 08:19 AM   #29
ILL in IA
IMO The coaches getting arrested will get the big headlines, but the bigger arrests are the shoe company guys. I so want that paper trail to lead to KU, UK, Duke and UNC.
ILL in IA is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2017, 08:19 AM   #30
BlindLoyalty
Evans Named To Cowboy Basketball Coaching Staff

Apr. 04, 2016 Men's Basketball

STILLWATER – Oklahoma State head basketball coach Brad Underwood has announced the addition of Lamont Evans as an assistant on his Cowboy coaching staff.

http://www.okstate.com/news/2016/4/4...ing-staff.aspx

Last edited by Dan; Sep 26, 2017 at 08:33 AM.
BlindLoyalty is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2017, 08:20 AM   #31
Smacko
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILL in IA View Post
IMO The coaches getting arrested will get the big headlines, but the bigger arrests are the shoe company guys. I so want that paper trail to lead to KU, UK, Duke and UNC.
I think Louisville could get hammered. They are an Addidas school. The Bowen recruitment in particular could be used against them. If that happens on top of the recent hooker incidents....oh baby.
Smacko is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2017, 08:22 AM   #32
TownieMatt
CU Expat
My ability to interpret legalese isn't strong, but it appears Evans is charged with taking money to steer kids to agents AND bribing players to attend certain schools. If it's proven this took place while he was at OSU with Underwood in 2016 (and it looks likely), then BU may face some kind of "failure of institutional control" type penalty.

Edit: It appears the bribes in recruiting may have gone from the shoe companies directly to the players to attend certain schools. Whether or not Evans knew about it or participated would be the key in that case.

Ironically, I remember a certain poster had an utter meltdown that we couldn't entice Evans to join the program.

Last edited by TownieMatt; Sep 26, 2017 at 08:26 AM.
TownieMatt is online now Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2017, 08:23 AM   #33
Vermilion Slim
I know this is unrealistic and spiteful, but I really want this to somehow work out to have nothing to do with Underwood at OSU and at the same time everything to do with Bruce Pearl :-)

Maybe it is possible since Pearl has had Chuck Person as an assistant all three years.
Vermilion Slim is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2017, 08:25 AM   #34
Smacko
If they are going to go after head coaches, Frank Martin at SC could get nailed since that is where Evans worked prior to his one year at OSU.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 08:26 AM   #35
TCTORNADO
With the FBI involved, once guys start "singing" things really go South.
TCTORNADO is online now Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2017, 08:28 AM   #36
TCTORNADO
Quote:
Originally Posted by TownieMatt View Post
My ability to interpret legalese isn't strong, but it appears Evans is charged with taking money to steer kids to agents AND bribing players to attend certain schools. If it's proven this took place while he was at OSU with Underwood in 2016 (and it looks likely), then BU may face some kind of "failure of institutional control" type penalty.

Edit: It appears the bribes in recruiting may have gone from the shoe companies directly to the players to attend certain schools. Whether or not Evans knew about it or participated would be the key in that case.

Ironically, I remember a certain poster had an utter meltdown that we couldn't entice Evans to join the program.
You mean Jawun??
Old Sep 26, 2017, 08:29 AM   #37
Smacko
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCTORNADO View Post
You mean Jawun??
Hmm maybe Gio was right when he talked about OSU "dropping the bag" after all.....
Old Sep 26, 2017, 08:30 AM   #38
IlliniOllie
Quote:
Highly doubt that would happen. Like with everything else, it'll go high enough to hit some high-profile programs - like here, Arizona and Louisville - but those true blue bloods would never get hit.
IlliniOllie is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2017, 08:30 AM   #39
Obelix
Quote:
I knew the shoe companies have been steering guys away from Illinois.
Yes, it is a national conspiracy against Illinois, I am glad the FBI is on it.
Obelix is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2017, 08:34 AM   #40
Obelix
Quote:
I so want that paper trail to lead to KU, UK, Duke and UNC.
Be careful what you wish for, because there is currently more of a connection with South Carolina/Oklahoma State where Underwood worked, than KU, UK, Duke, and UNC. Hopefully, Evans acted on his own.
Obelix is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2017, 08:34 AM   #41
Smacko
This guy has a ton of stuff about Louisville and Bowen - https://twitter.com/JasonRileyWDRB
Old Sep 26, 2017, 08:36 AM   #42
TownieMatt
CU Expat
The shoe company role in recruiting has been the worst kept secret in college basketball for years now. It was going on in Derrick Rose's recruitment ten years ago. Pathetic that it takes the feds stepping in to actually do anything about it.

Old Sep 26, 2017, 08:36 AM   #43
ChiefIllini
This is some movie type stuff right here... Curious if this ends up being as big as it sounds.

I doubt it, though I'll be curious to see what side the HC's come out on.
ChiefIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2017, 08:37 AM   #44
miketherevelator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smacko View Post
This guy has a ton of stuff about Louisville and Bowen - https://twitter.com/JasonRileyWDRB
http://www.wdrb.com/story/36454113/u...ege-basketball

No wonder Tugs' recruitment was so bizarre.
miketherevelator is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2017, 08:38 AM   #45
WhiteRhino
I would be SHOCKED! if Auburn were involved in any shady dealings.
WhiteRhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2017, 08:39 AM   #46
TCTORNADO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smacko View Post
Hmm maybe Gio was right when he talked about OSU "dropping the bag" after all.....
He's got to be in the center of this thing. Having mysteriously moved from South Carolina to Dallas and then shows up in Stillwater. Even Larry Brown got cold feet on Jawun. The good part about this is that recruitment was under Ford at OSU and not BU. Right??
Old Sep 26, 2017, 08:41 AM   #47
Smacko
Quote:
He's got to be in the center of this thing. Having mysteriously moved from South Carolina to Dallas and then shows up in Stillwater. Even Larry Brown got cold feet on Jawun. The good part about this is that recruitment was under Ford at OSU and not BU. Right??
Correct. Ford was the one who recruited Jawun. BU coached him for his sophomore season.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 08:44 AM   #48
coryfor3
Quote:
Count 10...not good!!
Yeah. Alleges payments to players during 2016
coryfor3 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2017, 08:50 AM   #49
TCTORNADO
Quote:
Originally Posted by coryfor3 View Post
Yeah. Alleges payments to players during 2016
This is the one that the NCAA will use as evidence to start their own investigation. Lack of institutional control!!
Old Sep 26, 2017, 08:51 AM   #50
AttentionDeficit
Bowen can't play with this hanging over his head, right?

I've gotta say that i am also incredibly curious how this investigation started. This stuff has been going on forever, why would the FBI get involved now, and with such a limited focus? I would not be at all surprised to learn that this was started by a fan of one school out to hurt another, and the others involved are merely the low hanging fruit that could disguise the original intent. (I am going to vote for a UK fan going after Pitino.)
AttentionDeficit is offline Reply With Quote