Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > General Sports Talk

Chicago Bears 2017-2018

Old Jan 10, 2018, 02:52 PM   #401
champaignchris
If the Bears can...

1. Keep the defensive personnel intact and retain Fangio or replace him with someone else who can do the job,
2. Fill out the receiving corps with actual NFL starting quality receivers (Mike Wallace and Jarvis Landry plus a draft pick, for example - Jimmy Graham might be a nice Shaheen stop gap... Think Pace might have Graham's phone number from their Saints days?),
3. Add some depth to the o-line, particularly at tackle, someone to push Leno for the starting spot,
4. See reasonable development from Trubisky...

There's no reason why they can't be a 7 or 8 win team next year. Maybe not make the playoffs but at least spitting distance from the Wild Card. With similar incremental improvement from Trubisky in 2019, they should be in the playoffs.

That's the trajectory the Bears should be on. If they're still struggling to 7 wins in 2019, we'll be seeing another wholesale house cleaning.
champaignchris is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2018, 02:55 PM   #402
RockfordIllini
Agreed. And I actually think the Bears are in better than their record indicated. They had 3 really solid wins this year (Car, Pit, Bal), and were actually in most games where Glennon wasn't turning it over 4 times in 1 half.

They were 1 blown pass coverage and 2 dropped TD passes from beating the Falcons. They were unlucky with a couple of calls (the Miller TD that was reversed against NO. The touchdown/fumble/touchback reversal against GB). Who knows how those games turn out if they catch a break or 2. But O Line is decent. Running game is solid. Inman emerged as a solid target. Need a couple of more receivers, but should be able to upgrade there through the draft and free agency. There's decent receivers out there. Don't need Antonio Brown.

My only concern is if they can't keep Fangio, now we have to start all over again with turning over the roster to fit the new DC's scheme. That's how bad teams stay bad. Would think it would be hard to keep him after he interviewed for HC job and didn't get it. Seems like guys usually bolt in those circumstances.

Fingers crossed they keep Fangio. A decent draft and a little bit better luck with injuries and they could be good next year!
RockfordIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2018, 03:01 PM   #403
champaignchris
As for expectations on Trubisky...

From the perspective of where he was drafted and looking at some of the other QBs' second seasons in the League recently...

I think we need to see something on the order of 62% completion percentage, 3,200+ yards, 28-ish TDs, and about a 2.5-1 TD to INT ratiio. Assuming health and he has any receivers at all to work with, if we don't see something on that order, it's going to be a real reason for concern.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 03:11 PM   #404
champaignchris
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockfordIllini View Post
Inman emerged as a solid target. Need a couple of more receivers...
Inman is an unrestricted free agent. They need to replace/re-sign Inman and then get a couple more receivers beyond that. (I still don't like the fact they traded a draft pick to get him, even if it was only a 7th rounder.)

Quote:
My only concern is if they can't keep Fangio, now we have to start all over again with turning over the roster to fit the new DC's scheme. That's how bad teams stay bad.
I have to believe they're going to try to keep Fangio and if they can't (because he simply wants to coach somewhere else), they'll replace him with someone who runs a similar system that requires similar personnel.

It's good news that the Packers signed someone else to be their DC. Stories out that they were definitely interested in him. I gotta wonder what would happen if Gruden and the Raiders came calling. Fangio is a West Coast guy and I think that's the most attractive job out West that will come open. The Cardinals, I suppose. Frankly, he'd be a damn good HC candidate for that job.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 04:19 PM   #405
Illiniaaron
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLEE View Post
3 Years? That seems to be setting the bar a bit low. Teams in the NFL can make drastic changes from year to year. Look at the LA Rams. They were 4-12 in 2016 and jumped to 11-5 this year.
I agree--but look at what we've seen from the Bears in the last three years since they fired Trestman. I don't expect the Bears to make the playoffs next season, but they better be playing meaningful games well into December and they better make the playoffs in 2019.
Illiniaaron is online now Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2018, 10:03 AM   #406
Andman94
According to Adam Schefter, the Bears have hired Mark Helfrich as OC
Andman94 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2018, 10:32 AM   #407
KBLEE
A Legend in My Own Mind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andman94 View Post
According to Adam Schefter, the Bears have hired Mark Helfrich as OC
Add him to Harry Hiestand for OL and Chris Tabor for special teams, and he's quickly assembling a nice staff. Just need to lock up Fangio...
KBLEE is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2018, 10:45 AM   #408
champaignchris
Quote:
Add him to Harry Hiestand for OL and Chris Tabor for special teams, and he's quickly assembling a nice staff. Just need to lock up Fangio...
The guys on WSCR this morning seemed to think that it would happen. The front office wants it. Nagy seems to be at least ok with it it (and frankly, if you were compiling your wish-list of DCs, if Fangio weren’t pretty high on that list, you probably shouldn’t be a HC), if not all in on Fangio returning. Sounds like money isn’t going to be an object. I really think it’ll come down to whether Fangio wants it or not.

They’re probably giving him a few days to mull it over.

The fact that the only rumors about anyone taking a run at him was the Packers and the Packers quickly hired a different DC is a very positive sign, and probably means that most other teams think he’s staying with the Bears.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 01:13 PM   #409
champaignchris
Fangio back per Biggs and WSCR.

Pretty huge.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 07:49 PM   #410
IlliniFaninHoosierLand
Quote:
Originally Posted by champaignchris View Post
Fangio back per Biggs and WSCR.

Pretty huge.
Not only back but they signed him to a 3 year extension.

And the coaching staff is pretty well set. Which is good because with the Senior Bowl practices starting the week after next, it'll give the staff an opportunity to scout out the talent.

While the Helfrich hire may have raised a few eyebrows, with Nagy calling the plays and the team likely going to more of a Reid/KC style offense, they're going to use Helfrich to incorporate some parts of the spread offense into what the Bears will run in Chicago.
IlliniFaninHoosierLand is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2018, 01:29 PM   #411
jrichisamazing
Quote:
3 Years? That seems to be setting the bar a bit low. Teams in the NFL can make drastic changes from year to year. Look at the LA Rams. They were 4-12 in 2016 and jumped to 11-5 this year.
They were 11-5, but were they ready to contend for a Super Bowl? Atlanta proved they weren't.

But you're right, there is definitely the potential for that turn around this year or next year. Especially now that we kept Fangio. Our O-line coach is very well respected which should not only help develop talent, but attract free agents. And Trubisky seems like the kind of guy I want to block for.

I have no doubt Nagy is going to get Cohen plenty of opportunities in space. Get a couple good pass-catchers (Calvin Ridley?), run a little spread, and watch this offense explode.