Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (January-March 2017)

Closed Thread

Old Jan 3, 2017, 01:09 PM   #101
SescIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by WARDFORTHREE View Post
I tend to think it has a lot to do with the fans seeing all of those we "missed" on and don't want to do it again. Smith is a good player, don't get me wrong. He deserves to be offered, but it isn't a flashy recruit or anything. More than likely we will be his best offer. You have to hope he continues to progress and turns out like a Watson, Morrow, MLV, etc.
It has to do more with tools than rankings or being concerned about missing a quality player. Smith is the most PG ready player from the guards we have. I think Damonte and Frazier can start plays from top of the key but both have played off the ball most games I have seen them. My hope is that Damonte can be a PG, his size and athleticism would be huge at that position, just look at Lyle of OSU. The fact that Smith is big and athletic are huge bonus playing against bigger and aggressive scoring guards.

I'm glad he is not a flashy recruit, he is a steady player with a good head on his shoulders. You will win a lot of games with these types. I hope he improves like Watson, but at this point he is further ahead than Watson was in high school. Much better shot and much more in control. I'm glad at this point we are his best offer, I like easy recruitments and not long drawn out losses.

I think Goodwin and Smith are different type players, even though they have similar size. At this point Smith has been named the MOP of a tourney in which Goodwin, Tilmon, and Pickett played in. He has averaged 36 points in the two games against last years states top team and player.

Like somebody mentioned already, he might just win Mr. Illlinois BB. No knock on Matt Chastain, but Smith is show casing his skills against the top teams and players.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 01:29 PM   #102
ILHoff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin View Post
Great to hear. Doesn't mean I'm not concerned about getting a big, but if he's got grit and is a baller, I'm all for it. I'm a big believer in prioritizing guards, but there's a limit to that for obvious reasons. From what I've read on this board, a number of folks are high on Frazier, so it makes me wonder where Smith would land.
I've never seen Frazier other than highlights so I can't really comment on him. We definitely need a big. My preference is a high schooler as I like to see bigs develop in our system, which makes the team a little more cohesive. I can see the draw to land a 5th year guy because they will help right away, but I feel like we get stuck in a loop by continually signing those transfers. I can see both perspectives, but count me in for a high school big that can develop here for four years.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 01:44 PM   #103
combes
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILHoff View Post
I've never seen Frazier other than highlights so I can't really comment on him. We definitely need a big. My preference is a high schooler as I like to see bigs develop in our system, which makes the team a little more cohesive. I can see the draw to land a 5th year guy because they will help right away, but I feel like we get stuck in a loop by continually signing those transfers. I can see both perspectives, but count me in for a high school big that can develop here for four years.
We could take Smith and still get a high school big.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 02:23 PM   #104
Ga65
Epperson is not being mentioned recently. Is it because we no longer believe he is a possibility? Do not believe he would be a factor next year but would be in the future. I believe Finke would be fine as the back-up to Tilmon and Blackmon. Problem only if we have an injury.

Also wonder if AJ will stay. Four star that doesn't seem to have a future here.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 02:29 PM   #105
ILHoff
Quote:
Originally Posted by combes View Post
We could take Smith and still get a high school big.
I know. And I like that scenario.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 02:43 PM   #106
bigruss22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chathamillini View Post
Unfortunately AJ was never a four-star.
Yes he was: http://247sports.com/Player/Aaron-Jo...titution=51392

He was a top 125 recruit, these days that is 4 star.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 04:20 PM   #107
Illiniguy13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SescIllini View Post
It has to do more with tools than rankings or being concerned about missing a quality player. Smith is the most PG ready player from the guards we have. I think Damonte and Frazier can start plays from top of the key but both have played off the ball most games I have seen them. My hope is that Damonte can be a PG, his size and athleticism would be huge at that position, just look at Lyle of OSU. The fact that Smith is big and athletic are huge bonus playing against bigger and aggressive scoring guards.

I'm glad he is not a flashy recruit, he is a steady player with a good head on his shoulders. You will win a lot of games with these types. I hope he improves like Watson, but at this point he is further ahead than Watson was in high school. Much better shot and much more in control. I'm glad at this point we are his best offer, I like easy recruitments and not long drawn out losses.

I think Goodwin and Smith are different type players, even though they have similar size. At this point Smith has been named the MOP of a tourney in which Goodwin, Tilmon, and Pickett played in. He has averaged 36 points in the two games against last years states top team and player.

Like somebody mentioned already, he might just win Mr. Illlinois BB. No knock on Matt Chastain, but Smith is show casing his skills against the top teams and players.
Agree with all of this, except I'm not so sure Smith is the most point guard ready guard of the bunch...at least not in Groces offense. I haven't seen Smith play to be fair, but high ball screens are Frazier's bread and butter.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 04:47 PM   #108
Paigncake
Banned
Delete.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 04:47 PM   #109
MrOizo
Quote:
Not sure I understand this recruitment. Only seen video, so there's a LOT I'm missing about how good he may be. He reminded me of Sergio --kind of a bruising look to him. However, I don't even see him on 247, and rivals has him without a rating. The only offer I'm seeing was from DePaul. From my look at the roster, we need a big, not an unrated SG (or combo if that's what he is -only saw him listed as a SG).

Does anyone else share this view? Or are we universally happy with this?

Quote:
Not sure I understand this recruitment. Only seen video, so there's a LOT I'm missing about how good he may be. He reminded me of Sergio --kind of a bruising look to him. However, I don't even see him on 247, and rivals has him without a rating. The only offer I'm seeing was from DePaul. From my look at the roster, we need a big, not an unrated SG (or combo if that's what he is -only saw him listed as a SG).

Does anyone else share this view? Or are we universally happy with this?
http://www.suntimeshighschoolsports....onger-unknown/

This helped catch me up on him -

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk
Old Jan 3, 2017, 05:54 PM   #110
gottaluvillini
Does anybody know if Coach Groce or any of the assistants will be at the Edwardsville versus East St. Louis game tonight? A great chance to see Jeremiah Tilmon, Hargrove of East St. Louis and Mark Smith of Edwardsville.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 06:58 PM   #111
nwebb1
Coach walker just walked in to the smith and tilmon hame
Old Jan 3, 2017, 07:02 PM   #112
gottaluvillini
Thank you for the update nwebb1. Please give some updates from the game. Are there coaches from other Division 1 schools in attendance?
Old Jan 3, 2017, 07:13 PM   #113
TCTORNADO
Quote:
Originally Posted by gottaluvillini View Post
Thank you for the update nwebb1. Please give some updates from the game. Are there coaches from other Division 1 schools in attendance?
Collins
Old Jan 3, 2017, 07:27 PM   #114
nwebb1
Chris Collins looks like he brought his whole staff. Lot of purple next to him
Old Jan 3, 2017, 07:41 PM   #115
StateFarmCenter
Collins and all 3 assistants there to offer Smith in person.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 07:44 PM   #116
SescIllini
Is game on the Web? Not posted on The Cube and tried Youtube as well.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 08:16 PM   #117
nwebb1
Smith not looking great tonight. Jumper isn't falling and the smaller quick guards giving him a few issues. He's looked to post up a little bit with some success
Old Jan 3, 2017, 08:37 PM   #118
nwebb1
Tilmon just got ejected for kicked the ball. He was getting hacked all night clearly frustrated. PlAying at edwardsville is brutal
Old Jan 3, 2017, 08:39 PM   #119
miketherevelator
Yeah, totals-wise, looks like he had a rough half
Derek Piper ‏@DPiperScout 21m21 minutes ago Tilmon mid-range jumper is the last basket of the half. 27-26 Edwardsville. Smith: 6 pts, 4 asts Hargrove: 7 pts, 5 rebs Tilmon: 4 & 2
Old Jan 3, 2017, 08:43 PM   #120
nwebb1
Not sure I've seen smith ever drive hard right. He consistently goes to his left
Old Jan 3, 2017, 09:06 PM   #121
SescIllini
That is too bad of Tilmon, stay in the game big fella. Lots of Illini fans came to see you.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 09:10 PM   #122
IlliniCards24
2 games in the 618 tonight. Pickett really struggled against O'Fallon this evening.

Mark Smith has 26 points and just threw down another huge dunk. Kid is absolutely rolling and didn't play great in the first 3 quarters. Had 16 points in 4th and almost had a triple double. Epenesa did not play due to being at All American game for football.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 09:11 PM   #123
IlliniCards24
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwebb1 View Post
Tilmon just got ejected for kicked the ball. He was getting hacked all night clearly frustrated. PlAying at edwardsville is brutal
Yep. Edwardsville had to go with that game plan with Epenesa out and it worked...
Old Jan 3, 2017, 09:14 PM   #124
IlliniCards24
https://twitter.com/gsv_stl/status/816481506407444480

Here ya go. Enjoy.

Look where he takes off...

Last edited by IlliniCards24; Jan 3, 2017 at 09:17 PM.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 09:19 PM   #125
nwebb1
Smith did finish with 26 but he didn't play great. The ESL quickness gave him a lot of issues IMO. Didn't finish a lot of shots I think he normally does and couldn't hit a jumper. Most points cat the line it seemed like to me.
Closed Thread