Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Football

Conference Realignment Thread (Maryland & Rutgers join the Big Ten conference)

Closed Thread

Old Dec 2, 2012, 09:21 PM   #926
IlliNYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesxfan2012 View Post
We have to be logical here...I think Delaney has a masterplan in place to keep all states "touching" eachother. If Virginia and Georgia Tech are to be added Monday, you can bet that North Carolina will be #17 (which will connect Virginia and Georgia). This leaves #18...Miami. This shores up the entire East Coast and HUGE media markets!! The ACC is about gone.
I think Duke or ND (or both) is more likely than Miami. But pretty sure you're right that 18 or 20 is the likely direction this is going. Should make most everyone happy since we'd likely end up in the west with most of the original Big Ten. With that 18 or 20 every cable market in the country will be open to the BTN--and regions start mattering less.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 09:35 PM   #927
illinichick
18 or 20 schools seems completely excessive. Even 16 seems to be too big. How often would you play a team in football with a 20 team conference? This is absurd. I know it's about money and TV markets, but come on.

Or is the B1G sure we'll end up with 4 megaconferences, and want to have their choice of schools? If 4 megaconferences is inevitable, how many schools will be in each conference?
Old Dec 2, 2012, 09:44 PM   #928
IlliniKat91
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinichick View Post
18 or 20 schools seems completely excessive. Even 16 seems to be too big. How often would you play a team in football with a 20 team conference? This is absurd. I know it's about money and TV markets, but come on.

Or is the B1G sure we'll end up with 4 megaconferences, and want to have their choice of schools? If 4 megaconferences is inevitable, how many schools will be in each conference?
NFL style, 4 pods of 5 teams each. Each pod plays each other once, a protected rivalry with a team in another pod, and perhaps set cross overs each year with another pod (think NFC North v. AFC South this year). Then a mini "playoff" for B1G champs. It would take some work, but it's doable.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 09:49 PM   #929
DrewD007
I'm not even really that old fashioned, but I hate the idea of conferences being more than 12 members, and would just want to die if they went past 16.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 09:54 PM   #930
WizardBill
Illini optimist
If we go to 20, we can call it "The Big Ten II"

Because Indiana sucks!
Old Dec 2, 2012, 10:13 PM   #931
HsvIllini
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardBill View Post
If we go to 20, we can call it "The Big Ten II"
The Deuce! :laugh:
Old Dec 2, 2012, 10:57 PM   #932
WizardBill
Illini optimist
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesterveltVictoryCigar View Post
:laugh:

Yeah, that money won't be going to any "research facility".
And, why not? I thought TV revenue went into the general fund. You think it only goes back into sports? Highly doubtful.

Because Indiana sucks!
Old Dec 3, 2012, 08:15 AM   #933
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardBill View Post
And, why not? I thought TV revenue went into the general fund. You think it only goes back into sports? Highly doubtful.
You thought wrong.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 08:26 AM   #934
egas51
Hers's who I would love to see added: UNC, GA Tech, Vandy, UVA and... University of Toronto, Canada. Toronto would be the 5th largest TV market when compared to US markets. If they could bring in Montreal and Vancouver, you would add around 14 million viewers. Toronto is also very close to other B1G schools like Michigan.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 09:00 AM   #935
IlliNYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinichick View Post

Think of it more as a TV network & bargaining power. Bargaining power with other networks & with the NCAA (which is largely broken right now). If you're concerned with those 2 things, it means better = more. I'm guessing that means 20--but wouldn't be blown away by 22...

Here are the schools on I'd bet are on the table:
GT
UVA
UNC
Duke
KU
ND

No way Clemson gets an invite, right?
Old Dec 3, 2012, 11:00 AM   #936
kbotc
Quote:
You thought wrong.
If you're actually making money as a athletic department, you usually do donate large amounts of money back to the school. Case and point: See Ohio State's libraries. This is on top of the scholarships and health and fitness facilities that the AD usually is responsible for.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 11:07 AM   #937
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbotc View Post
If you're actually making money as a athletic department, you usually do donate large amounts of money back to the school. Case and point: See Ohio State's libraries. This is on top of the scholarships and health and fitness facilities that the AD usually is responsible for.
They might be the only school to give back money, and even their you would need to look closely to see if there are hidden subsidies. Almost all D1 athletic programs are subsidized by their schools, not vice versa.

Old Dec 3, 2012, 12:06 PM   #938
drwillini
Your trying to hard too fit in around hear GHD :-)
Old Dec 3, 2012, 12:43 PM   #939
jackman404
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
They might be the only school to give back money, and even their you would need to look closely to see if there are hidden subsidies. Almost all D1 athletic programs are subsidized by their schools, not vice versa.
I think there's only something like 15 schools in the country that don't break even in athletics. However, something like 8 of those are Big Ten schools. So it's not uncommon to find Big Ten schools using athletic profits to subsidize academics. I think Michigan State gives $1 million to academics (I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure I read that this morning).
Old Dec 3, 2012, 12:50 PM   #940
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackman404 View Post
I think there's only something like 15 schools in the country that don't break even in athletics. However, something like 8 of those are Big Ten schools. So it's not uncommon to find Big Ten schools using athletic profits to subsidize academics. I think Michigan State gives $1 million to academics (I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure I read that this morning).
Double check to be sure the athletic department doesn't get an indirect subsidy at Michigan State. I would be shocked if many B1G ADs gave money to the greater university.

Old Dec 3, 2012, 12:56 PM   #941
frankfortillini
Banned
So, based on the silence and denials, looks like no GT or VA today.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 02:18 PM   #942
TheFightingestIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankfortillini View Post
So, based on the silence and denials, looks like no GT or VA today.
Our next raid on the ACC won't likely happen until Maryland reduces its buyout and after FSU bolts with Clemson for the XII. Then UVa and UNC will be ripe for the picking.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 02:59 PM   #943
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackman404 View Post
I think there's only something like 15 schools in the country that don't break even in athletics.
Really? I thought it was exactly the opposite. As GHD notes, have to look at the actual accounting to really be able to tell.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 03:01 PM   #944
Groundhogday
Quote:
Really? I thought it was exactly the opposite. As GHD notes, have to look at the actual accounting to really be able to tell.
Yes, the vast majority of D1 athletic programs lose money when you take various subsidies into account.

Old Dec 3, 2012, 03:27 PM   #945
jackman404
Banned
Quote:
Typo on my part. I meant to say that only about 15 teams DO break even. Sorry about that.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 04:22 PM   #946
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Ah, no problem.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 06:08 PM   #947
dsboyce
Black & Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcastan View Post
Don't know where this goes but the B1G does ask questions about both football and basketball.

They even ask if B1G Ten name should stay.

Take the survey
Just took the survey and suggested division names of Black & Blue. It keeps things simple and gives a nod to rough and tumble nature of Big Ten athletics.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 07:57 PM   #948
DrewD007
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsboyce View Post
Just took the survey and suggested division names of Black & Blue. It keeps things simple and gives a nod to rough and tumble nature of Big Ten athletics.
Still would be hard to remember who's in what division.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 08:07 PM   #949
AngryOrange
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewD007 View Post
That is why one division should be all the animal mascots, the other people and nuts. Would be easier to remember then
Old Dec 3, 2012, 09:03 PM   #950
dsboyce
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewD007 View Post
I assume you are looking for an east/west thing? I disagree with the assertion that it would be difficult to remember who is in what division. Do people have a hard time remembering who is in MLB's American and National leagues? Or for the NFL's AFC or NFC?
Closed Thread