Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Football

Conference Realignment Thread (Maryland & Rutgers join the Big Ten conference)

Closed Thread

Old Dec 4, 2012, 08:23 AM   #951
DaytonIllini
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryOrange View Post
That is why one division should be all the animal mascots, the other people and nuts. Would be easier to remember then
Is a Hoosier a nut or an animal?
Old Dec 4, 2012, 08:24 AM   #952
Ransom Stoddard
Ordained Dudeist Priest
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonIllini View Post
Mineral, I think.

Old Dec 4, 2012, 09:01 AM   #953
troyk
Banned
I remember a while back looking at the Big East at 16 teams and thinking it was idiotic to have that many schools as part of a conference. Now I'm hoping the Big Ten stops at 16 because 16 is still manageable. :rolleyes:

This conference expansion is killing the sport I fell in love with. What is the point of the conference if we aren't going to play Ohio State every year in football? Or if we don't play Iowa for 3-4 years at a stretch? Or if our new rival is..Rutgers? Maryland?

I wish we could renege on the Rutgers and Maryland offers and also kick PSU and UNL out and go back to 10 teams with a 9 game conference schedule and 18 basketball games. Alternate home and home every year in football and get a home and home every year in basketball. I bet fans of the Big XII are happy with their setup, if only they could swap out TCU/WVU for UNL/Mizzou.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 12:23 PM   #954
TheFightingestIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyk View Post
I wish we could renege on the Rutgers and Maryland offers and also kick PSU and UNL out and go back to 10 teams with a 9 game conference schedule and 18 basketball games. Alternate home and home every year in football and get a home and home every year in basketball.
The potential of expansion to 20 teams nearly accomplishes this. There would in essence be an original Big 10 and the expanded 10. Our conference championship game would be a glorified quarterfinal in order to advance to the BCS final four.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 12:37 PM   #955
mattcoldagelli
Quote:
This conference expansion is killing the sport I fell in love with. What is the point of the conference if we aren't going to play Ohio State every year in football? Or if we don't play Iowa for 3-4 years at a stretch? Or if our new rival is..Rutgers? Maryland?

I wish we could renege on the Rutgers and Maryland offers and also kick PSU and UNL out and go back to 10 teams with a 9 game conference schedule and 18 basketball games. Alternate home and home every year in football and get a home and home every year in basketball. I bet fans of the Big XII are happy with their setup, if only they could swap out TCU/WVU for UNL/Mizzou.
Can I ask why you think it's killing the sport? College football is already a pretty screwed up deal. The fact that there's never been a consistent way to crown a champion is laughable considering it's 2012. I don't think realignment is changing things anymore than allowing freshmen to play did, or the BCS did, or overtime did. Sports evolve, and mostly for the better.

Why do you want to play OSU so badly? I don't - they're going to bludgeon us more often than not. We need to win more games, and I like our chances against RU and MD more than who'd we be seeing without expansion. Let's not kid ourselves - it's not like we have these OSU-Michigan blood feuds that need preserving. I haven't even really noticed that Iowa hasn't been on our schedule lately. There are two games I'd really be upset to lose - both are in basketball, and one (Mizzou) isn't even in our conference (the other is IU). That's it, otherwise onward and upward.

And let's not romanticize what the Big XII has - if everyone was so happy there, they wouldn't be entering the hostage situation that is their Grant of Rights.

@mattcoldagelli

Old Dec 4, 2012, 02:18 PM   #956
ctblaisdell83
Quote:
Loosier
Old Dec 4, 2012, 02:36 PM   #957
champaignchris
Quote:
According to Wikipedia, it's a person:

Quote:
In other parts of the country, the word has been adapted to other uses. In St. Louis, Missouri, the word is used in a derogatory fashion similar to "hick" or "white trash"
Old Dec 4, 2012, 02:41 PM   #958
IlliniSaluki
Quote:
In St. Louis, Missouri, the word is used in a derogatory fashion similar to "hick" or "white trash"
Yep, that is how I grew up using it.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 02:53 PM   #959
KBLEE
A Legend in My Own Mind
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by champaignchris View Post
I believe it is actually a nutty person that smells like an animal.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 02:53 PM   #960
champaignchris
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLEE View Post
I believe it is actually a nutty person that smells like an animal.
WINNER!
Old Dec 4, 2012, 04:31 PM   #961
troyk
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcoldagelli View Post
Can I ask why you think it's killing the sport? College football is already a pretty screwed up deal. The fact that there's never been a consistent way to crown a champion is laughable considering it's 2012. I don't think realignment is changing things anymore than allowing freshmen to play did, or the BCS did, or overtime did. Sports evolve, and mostly for the better.

Why do you want to play OSU so badly? I don't - they're going to bludgeon us more often than not. We need to win more games, and I like our chances against RU and MD more than who'd we be seeing without expansion. Let's not kid ourselves - it's not like we have these OSU-Michigan blood feuds that need preserving. I haven't even really noticed that Iowa hasn't been on our schedule lately. There are two games I'd really be upset to lose - both are in basketball, and one (Mizzou) isn't even in our conference (the other is IU). That's it, otherwise onward and upward.

And let's not romanticize what the Big XII has - if everyone was so happy there, they wouldn't be entering the hostage situation that is their Grant of Rights.
90% of college football is tradition. I grew up watching us play Big Ten teams every year. I was thrilled when Ohio State and Michigan came to C-U when I was on campus. The inclusion of Penn State wasn't a deal breaker by any means but it was something to get used to. Then the inclusion of Nebraska made the scheduling more interesting but we still were on schedule to play some of these teams on a regular basis. At 20? We would play non-divisional opponents maybe once ever 4 years. I just can't see myself rooting for Illinois football (recent struggles aside) the same way if we recruit a class that might never step inside the Big House or the Horseshoe. That idea just seems so foreign to me. And with other conferences grabbing up teams it really makes me wonder what the heck is going on.

Call me a traditionalist, but I just don't want to see a Big Ten team (Virginia) playing in the Rose Bowl against a Pac 12 team (Oklahoma) in 3 years. That just doesn't make any sense to me and I'd rather just walk away from the sport that I thought I knew.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 04:42 PM   #962
IlliniKat91
Quote:
Call me a traditionalist, but I just don't want to see a Big Ten team (Virginia) playing in the Rose Bowl against a Pac 12 team (Oklahoma) in 3 years. That just doesn't make any sense to me and I'd rather just walk away from the sport that I thought I knew.
I'd hate to break it to you, but I think you're going to end up taking that walk, if you're really serious about it.

I get what you're saying about tradition, but I'm with matt. Money is where it's at for the athletic departments and schools, which means TV sets now that each conference seems to have it's own station/big-name deal. Conferences are banking on the fans' love of their alma maters, as well as a "new-look tradition" (for lack of a better word for the scenario you gave about the Rose Bowl) to keep the money rolling in.

And, honestly, we're not a football school, although I'd like to see the program do well. The only team I care about beating on every year is Northwestern; I would love to beat OSU/Michigan/PSU/Insert Flavor of the Decade, but I don't expect to. That's just not the story of Illini football up to this point in history. Hopefully, we turn it around and we become more than a "Flavor of the Decade Team," but because we're not, the tradition of it all doesn't really strike me as hard.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 04:55 PM   #963
mattcoldagelli
Quote:
I just can't see myself rooting for Illinois football (recent struggles aside) the same way if we recruit a class that might never step inside the Big House or the Horseshoe.
I don't get this. Who cares where they play road games? Aren't you rooting for the guys in the orange?

Don't get me wrong, I've got fond memories of watching Illinois win at both of those places, but saying "I just couldn't follow my alma mater if they didn't regularly play Michigan or Ohio State" sounds crazy.

@mattcoldagelli

Old Dec 4, 2012, 05:16 PM   #964
ILL_INI
Quote:
90% of college football is tradition. I grew up watching us play Big Ten teams every year. I was thrilled when Ohio State and Michigan came to C-U when I was on campus. The inclusion of Penn State wasn't a deal breaker by any means but it was something to get used to. Then the inclusion of Nebraska made the scheduling more interesting but we still were on schedule to play some of these teams on a regular basis. At 20? We would play non-divisional opponents maybe once ever 4 years. I just can't see myself rooting for Illinois football (recent struggles aside) the same way if we recruit a class that might never step inside the Big House or the Horseshoe. That idea just seems so foreign to me. And with other conferences grabbing up teams it really makes me wonder what the heck is going on.

At this point, I think I would prefer 16-20 schools, structured into essentially two 8-10 team divisions with very few crossover games. It would be like MLB's American and National Leagues. It would allow for consistent rivals.

Who has the #1 font? 1 1_ 1_ 1 1\I O 1 S
Old Dec 4, 2012, 05:46 PM   #965
DaytonIllini
Banned
Quote:

I started and stopped and rewrote this several times because it always came out snarky and I don't mean to be. I think it's ok to dislike change to something you care about. OTOH, the key thing is to have our athletic program flourish both on the field and in the accountant's ledger. If it means expanding to 16 or 20 to secure the future of Illinois athletics, then I support it, even if I have to adapt to some changes.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 05:57 PM   #966
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Quote:

I don't blame you and share a lot of these sentiments. Of course, I'd gladly go back to the old bowl system with conference tie-ins and imagine I'm in the minority there. BCS and now the playoff will render the regular season even more meaningless and the odds of Illinois ever winning the B1G are getting closer and closer to zero.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 06:14 PM   #967
Clemens
Quote:
Originally Posted by champaignchris View Post
Hoosier Hot Tub

Yes that is what they are called in St Louis
Old Dec 4, 2012, 07:51 PM   #968
GilThorpe
Banned
Quote:
I don't get this. Who cares where they play road games? Aren't you rooting for the guys in the orange?

Don't get me wrong, I've got fond memories of watching Illinois win at both of those places, but saying "I just couldn't follow my alma mater if they didn't regularly play Michigan or Ohio State" sounds crazy.
im 51 years old. old enough to dislike all the change in the world and country and my area of Illinois, but young enough to also know there is ALWAYS going to be change and you must adapt to it or die.

When things change, most people dont like it. But it is what it is, and college sports is HUGE business, and college admin people who recognize what this can mean to their school and embrace it, are the ones who will do their school the most service.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 09:46 PM   #969
Illini87InClt
Quote:
Tradition is great but will change inevitably. Additional traditions will develop around these new schools just as it did when MSU, tOSU, IU, Iowa were added and U of C departed. I would be surprised if there were not people making arguments against expansion when each of these schools joined as members to add to the original members. If the B1G does not expand, there may be many people forced to walk away as teams leave to join mega conferences or to survive because of defections. Jim Delaney has a plan and it's about surviving and thriving.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 08:48 AM   #970
champaignchris
For those looking for a better understanding as to what the Big 10 is looking for in terms of institutional and academic "fit," check out the front page article in today's News Gazette on the addition of Maryland and Rutgers to the CIC.

Read it online right here.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 09:38 AM   #971
troyk
Banned
Quote:

We both have our own opinions on the matter. I can say you are crazy for not caring about ever playing Ohio State or Michigan or Iowa or Wisconsin just as much as you can say I'm crazy for caring about playing those teams.

To me, the Illini identity doesn't just reside in Champaign, but also in our opponents. Playing Ohio State or Michigan is part of our identity. Being able to just absolutely loathe all things Iowa and Indiana is part of the Illini identity. What fun is Illinois sports if we can't play and beat those teams on a regular basis?

Does anyone honestly look at the schedule in the upcoming years and think "oh man, I can't wait to play Rutgers?" Will anyone truly think we are Big Ten Champions if we somehow avoid playing Ohio State and Michigan that year? It would feel like an empty championship to me.

Again, these are just my feelings on the matter. If others say upward and onward and show me the money, good for them. However, for me, Illinois sports reside in the old Big Ten and its identity will be muddled up with this new 16-20 team conference.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 10:18 AM   #972
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Nebraska chancellor Harvey Perlman doesn’t think Maryland’s $50M ACC exit fee is enforceable

http://twitter.com/darrenrovell
Quote:
Rutgers sues Big East over fee, waiting period http://es.pn/YAk6TD

http://twitter.com/espn_bigeast
Old Dec 5, 2012, 10:26 AM   #973
Ander1345
Maybe im wrong, but im pretty sure money was at the core of the issue(or at least a huge factor/influential) when they founded conferences in the first place. Aside from rivalry games, the conferences we know today were probably brought about by what people are complaining is ruining college sports today!

Last edited by Ander1345; Dec 5, 2012 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old Dec 5, 2012, 10:27 AM   #974
DaytonIllini
Banned
Quote:
We both have our own opinions on the matter. I can say you are crazy for not caring about ever playing Ohio State or Michigan or Iowa or Wisconsin just as much as you can say I'm crazy for caring about playing those teams.

To me, the Illini identity doesn't just reside in Champaign, but also in our opponents. Playing Ohio State or Michigan is part of our identity. Being able to just absolutely loathe all things Iowa and Indiana is part of the Illini identity. What fun is Illinois sports if we can't play and beat those teams on a regular basis?

Does anyone honestly look at the schedule in the upcoming years and think "oh man, I can't wait to play Rutgers?" Will anyone truly think we are Big Ten Champions if we somehow avoid playing Ohio State and Michigan that year? It would feel like an empty championship to me.

Again, these are just my feelings on the matter. If others say upward and onward and show me the money, good for them. However, for me, Illinois sports reside in the old Big Ten and its identity will be muddled up with this new 16-20 team conference.
Would you prefer us being at 12 teams or 10 and sitting on the outside while other mega conferences get BCS bids, big bowl games and all the young HS talent heads in that direction? What fun would playing OSU be if the B1G were a MAC caliber conference?

Would you prefer to have to subsidize our athletic department from our abjectly bankrupt state? Or from our academic pocket book? Is the annual OSU game worth us reducing the number of athletic teams we can support? Is it worth not being able to see our teams on television because the networks have gravitated to showing more 'important' conferences?

To me the answer to all these questions is a resounding no. That doesn't mean that I or anyone wants 16-20 teams. It means that we could not survive with 10 so we had to adapt.

In a world of dog eat dog, my personality is that I would always prefer to be the predator than the prey. Given that, I feel the B1G has done a wonderful job to date.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 10:58 AM   #975
Coffee Mug
Quote:
Would you prefer us being at 12 teams or 10 and sitting on the outside while other mega conferences get BCS bids, big bowl games and all the young HS talent heads in that direction? What fun would playing OSU be if the B1G were a MAC caliber conference?
I know I'm in the minority, but yes. What I like about Illinois sports has more to do with the "nostalgia" built up around things like tailgating, marching bands, school colors, Homecoming, and going to the Rose Bowl.

I have very little interest in the issues that preoccupy the national sports media: is Ohio State better or worse than Alabama? We must determine "the best team in the country" "on the field"! How much money can athletic departments extract from cable subscribers?

Everything I like about Big Ten football would be undiminished if the whole conference agreed to do away with athletic scholarships a la the Ivy League. As long as the teams we're competing against are on equal footing, it's all good.
Closed Thread