Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (January-March 2017)

Closed Thread

Old Jan 8, 2017, 12:05 AM   #251
Tevo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
See what @Mark_Smith_13 said about the @ehstigershoops win Friday over @OTHSBoysHoops. Smith scored 34
http://www.bnd.com/sports/high-schoo...125125124.html
I love Smith in these interviews. He's clearly a bright kid, articulate, thinks quickly -- he sounds like a coach already, identifying what went well or poorly and being able to explain it. Have to think he'd be great team leader just with his communication skills and intelligence, let alone with his dominating play.

His on-the-court performances have been exciting, if not truly "special". But I get much more excited when I think of the same guy also being a personable, energetic, intelligent and charismatic leader.

I'm all in. Let's get this kid!
Old Jan 8, 2017, 12:44 AM   #252
Hooping34
Recruiting players is a weird part of college coaching....getting the right fit for a coaches philosophy & concept & sometimes getting a nationally ranked top 50 player (Tilmon) doesn't hurt a program...

I guess the million dollar question here is would Groce & his staff have gone after Smith if D. Williams hadn't got hurt ????? (No one ever wants a player to injured)

Smith is late the high major party....but is now considered a high major PG......
Old Jan 8, 2017, 09:07 AM   #253
FT35
Adam Miller

Haven't seen this posted:

https://www.prephoops.com/2017/01/adam-miller-video-2/
Old Jan 8, 2017, 10:13 AM   #254
TCTORNADO
Sort of surprised that Smith has not committed or did that offer have more strings attached to it than we think??
Old Jan 8, 2017, 10:55 AM   #255
MrOizo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooping34 View Post
Recruiting players is a weird part of college coaching....getting the right fit for a coaches philosophy & concept & sometimes getting a nationally ranked top 50 player (Tilmon) doesn't hurt a program...

I guess the million dollar question here is would Groce & his staff have gone after Smith if D. Williams hadn't got hurt ????? (No one ever wants a player to injured)

Smith is late the high major party....but is now considered a high major PG......
As weird as it is, it's half the battle. We just win that battle for the first time in years and years. Truly complicates the picture for Whitman.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 11:00 AM   #256
Hooping34
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCTORNADO View Post
Sort of surprised that Smith has not committed or did that offer have more strings attached to it than we think??
Again, the million dollar question here is would Groce & his staff have gone after Smith if D. Williams hadn't got hurt ????? (No one ever wants a player to injured)

I don't know if there are any strings attached to Smith & Illini .... besides the offer....
Old Jan 8, 2017, 11:09 AM   #257
Joel Goodson
Quote:
Again, the million dollar question here is would Groce & his staff have gone after Smith if D. Williams hadn't got hurt ????? (No one ever wants a player to injured)

I don't know if there are any strings attached to Smith & Illini .... besides the offer....
I think Smith gets offered regardless of Damonte's injury. WRT ties, it's becoming clear that Smith is a long-time Illini fan. So, there's that.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 11:23 AM   #258
SescIllini
IMHO the last two schollys were intended for big men. The exception would be impact players regardless of position (Wilkes).

From our current players and recruits I thought the PG position was upgraded from previous years but my preference would be for a bigger guard (OSU Lyles). So unless Damonte was going to be the PG we were looking at average size PGs. Enter Mark Smith who I believe can be the true big guard and can also be an impact player.

So I don't think Damonte's injury is a factor. We are seeing players coming back from this type of injury.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 11:36 AM   #259
TCTORNADO
Quote:

This is really an interesting point. You've made it numerous times. Smith is not new to the staff as they saw him numerous times this summer and yet did not really move aggressively after him until after the DWilliams injury. So your statement has a lot of merit. Also maybe the staff has seen enough of some present players to know there are going to be further vacancies.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 12:09 PM   #260
Paigncake
Quote:
This is really an interesting point. You've made it numerous times. Smith is not new to the staff as they saw him numerous times this summer and yet did not really move aggressively after him until after the DWilliams injury. So your statement has a lot of merit. Also maybe the staff has seen enough of some present players to know there are going to be further vacancies.
Nobody made a move on Smith this summer because he's taken it to another level since because he's focused himself 100% on basketball and it's made a huge difference in his game.

I don't think Smith has anything at all to do with DWilliams. They're different players.

It's like people forget we were going to use one of those scholarships on Goodwin... The hypothetical question that if we got Goodwin would we still be going after Smith is a better one.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 12:15 PM   #261
miketherevelator
Quote:

I think going after Smith now and not before had more to do with his baseball situation and the fact he's blowing up now. From all I've read and heard, he's improved markedly from last year and even this summer. I don't know when he decommitted from Mizzou's baseball program but no matter how good he is at basketball, if he was concentrating on baseball, not much point in tracking him on the court. Also, I don't think there are any strings attached. We were willing to take Goodwin and DaMonte, now that Smith is proving he would bring a lot of the same abilities and attitude to the table that Goodwin would, it's kind of a no-brainer to try and land him.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 12:16 PM   #262
Joel Goodson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paigncake View Post
It's like people forget we were going to use one of those scholarships on Goodwin... The hypothetical question that if we got Goodwin would we still be going after Smith is a better one.
Nope. Need another big in this class.

Goodwin was a giant burn, but may end up as a gift. Smith's versatility and ability to run the show trumps Goodwin's game (right now, at least). C'mon Smith, commit!
Old Jan 8, 2017, 12:19 PM   #263
MrOizo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paigncake View Post
Nobody made a move on Smith this summer because he's taken it to another level since because he's focused himself 100% on basketball and it's made a huge difference in his game.

I don't think Smith has anything at all to do with DWilliams. They're different players.

I totally agree. Clearly, Smith was a committed Missouri baseball recruit until July and it takes a while for everyone to catch up on his sudden availability, then start to scout seriously and consider him. This feels like the right timing for such a situation. Nothing more to it in my view. And I love the idea of Smith on this team, love it. I hope we can get him on board so badly...
Old Jan 8, 2017, 12:43 PM   #264
Paigncake
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketherevelator View Post
I think going after Smith now and not before had more to do with his baseball situation and the fact he's blowing up now. From all I've read and heard, he's improved markedly from last year and even this summer. I don't know when he decommitted from Mizzou's baseball program but no matter how good he is at basketball, if he was concentrating on baseball, not much point in tracking him on the court. Also, I don't think there are any strings attached. We were willing to take Goodwin and DaMonte, now that Smith is proving he would bring a lot of the same abilities and attitude to the table that Goodwin would, it's kind of a no-brainer to try and land him.
I was told by a couple scouts he looks like an entirely different person since this summer.. If he was throwing up 30/40ppg at aau events people wouldn't care if he had a commitment to baseball.. They would say "hey you can still play it here too but you are a future college basketball star". JMO. It wouldn't stop me from recruiting a player if that was my job.

He's admitted himself a few times in interviews his game has been taken to another level since he focused more on basketball.. But I guess in the end it doesn't really that matter as to why/how.. We agree this kid is very good in the here and now.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 03:11 PM   #265
Bailey
Quote:
I'm not any more aware of his specific situation than the average poster on this board, but I can think of a lot of reasons why a kid wouldn't be in a rush to commit in the midst of his recruitment blowing up.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 03:53 PM   #266
CUWPC
Maybe a mid year transfer to add a big.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...-transfer-list
Old Jan 8, 2017, 04:45 PM   #267
FiveStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by CUWPC View Post

Weber is losing a 7'2, 245 RS Freshman center. Originally from Texas. Don't know anything about him but like those measurables.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 04:57 PM   #268
Illinimobile
Quote:

Harry Froling is a familiar name on that list.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 07:35 PM   #269
UofIChE06
Quote:

Any notice SLU got a PG?
Old Jan 8, 2017, 07:52 PM   #270
TCTORNADO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinimobile View Post
Harry Froling is a familiar name on that list.
Presently at Marquette today and Monday (1/9). Illinois on 1/11 for Michigan game????
Old Jan 8, 2017, 09:14 PM   #271
IllGuardU
Wouldn't he have to sit out a year?
Old Jan 8, 2017, 10:43 PM   #272
jrichisamazing
When is the deadline to transfer mid-season?

Old Jan 9, 2017, 07:10 AM   #273
FeelYourPaign
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrichisamazing View Post
When is the deadline to transfer mid-season?
I think you can't enroll in spring classes. But I'm not sure
Old Jan 9, 2017, 08:10 AM   #274
combes
Pickett with 40 and 10 in a 2-point loss to Courtney Ramey's team. Ramey with 21 including game winner at buzzer.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 08:31 AM   #275
I Bomb
Stylin' and Profilin'
Re: Smith - it's pretty impressive that he has shown what steps he can take by simply focusing on basketball. It makes you wonder how high the ceiling is once he gets into a major program.
Closed Thread