Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Pregame: The Assembly Hall Renovation Project

Closed Thread

Old Apr 15, 2011, 09:39 AM   #1
Dan
Admin
Update - This thread contains AH renovation speculation between the time the Request for Proposals were posted and the official AH kickoff press conference.

Please follow this link for the current Assembly Hall Renaissance Renovation Project thread-

http://www.illinoisloyalty.com/Forum...ad.php?t=19813

------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following were added Monday-
Quote:
Request for Professional Services Qualifications (QBS): Assembly Hall Renovation and Addition

Since opening in 1963, the Assembly Hall has been an icon on the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign campus. The University of Illinois is seeking professional services consultants for the planning, design, bid/award, and construction administration services for the Assembly Hall Renovation and Addition project.

procure.stateuniv.state.il.us
Quote:
Request for Proposal: Assembly Hall Renovation and Addition

The University of Illinois is seeking construction management services for the program verification, preconstruction, and construction phases for the Assembly Hall Renovation and Additions project.

procure.stateuniv.state.il.us

Last edited by Dan; Apr 9, 2013 at 06:25 AM.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 09:49 AM   #2
illinicb
Maybe this means they are closer on procuring the necessary funding, otherwise it would seem to be premature.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 10:39 AM   #3
carmelillini
Give naming rights to a high roller and build a new facility. The Hall is too dated to pump good dollars into renovating.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 12:20 PM   #4
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmelillini View Post
Give naming rights to a high roller and build a new facility. The Hall is too dated to pump good dollars into renovating.
Time to accept reality - renovations are the choice.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 02:13 PM   #5
Dan
Admin
Got a look at the pdfs. Highlights of the project-

Estimated project timeframe: January 2013 thru June 2015. Goal is to play thru the construction at the Hall.

# A new grand west entry addition featuring new administractive offices and new points of entry
# Lowering of the event floor
# The addition of fan suites
# New bowl seating
# Enlarging the concourse
# Added toilet facilities
# Air conditioning
# Updated lighting
# ADA requirements

Quote:
Since opening in 1963 , the Assembly Hall has been an icon on the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign campus. The University of Illinois is seeking professional services consultants for the planning, design, bid/award, and construction administration services for the Assembly Hall Renovation and Addition project.

While the building was ahead of its time when it opened, significant changes in arena design have occurred over the past 48 years. This project will enhance amenities to improve the experience for attendees and participants during events at the Assembly Hall. Major elements of the renovation work may include lowering of the event floor, the addition of fan suites, new bowl seating, added toilet facilities, replacement of mechanical systems and controls to include air conditioning of the facility, replacement of building lighting and controls, replacement of the electrical distribution system, addressing code and ADA requirements and enlarging the concourse for added concession space. A new grand west entry addition featuring new administrative offices and new points of entry may be included.

It is also expected the project will be designed in order that construction will be accomplishes in phases in such a way that will allow for the uninterrupted season(s) of home basketball games with minimal disruption to fans and athletes. Alternative scheduling scenarios will be explored.

The Assembly Hall and its site was determined eligible for listing on the National Register of Historic Places on 17 May 1993. The design team will be required to assist the University with its efforts to comply with applicable historic preservation standards and requirement.

Construction duration is estimated to be between January 2013 and June 2015. It is desired that the Assembly Hall will continue to host basketball events through the 2013-14 and 2014-15 seasons.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 03:14 PM   #6
chief3469
dan, can you link the pdf or tell me where i can find the original?
Old Apr 15, 2011, 04:07 PM   #7
MTILLINOIS
Finally, details and a time frame. Thanks Dan.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 04:30 PM   #8
ill07
They're still planning on making it so Krush can stand around the floor without obstructing views, right? If not, we might need to add a "fist shake" smiley...

Old Apr 15, 2011, 04:51 PM   #9
jackman404
Quote:
Originally Posted by ill07 View Post
They're still planning on making it so Krush can stand around the floor without obstructing views, right? If not, we might need to add a "fist shake" smiley...
I think that's what they mean by "bowl seating"

Old Apr 15, 2011, 05:10 PM   #10
Future Walk-On
yeah aren't they trying to get rid of the big gap between the A level railing and court, possibly also finding a better place for the 300 writers/analysts that are front row
Old Apr 15, 2011, 06:21 PM   #11
ilphotog
The camera never lies
Improved lighting
Old Apr 15, 2011, 06:24 PM   #12
MTILLINOIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilphotog View Post
Improved lighting
Or they can save a million or so by replacing the existing bulbs with CFL's.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 06:24 PM   #13
MTILLINOIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesterveltVictoryCigar View Post
Yup. The other ship has sailed.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 10:00 PM   #14
mertdog1
I'm willing to take any action at this point. I was begining to think nothing was going to happen. Thank God a plan is in motion.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 10:09 PM   #15
OrangeFever
Lead, don't follow
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesterveltVictoryCigar View Post
And a happy reality it is!!
Old Apr 15, 2011, 11:01 PM   #16
IlliniRunIn07
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilphotog View Post
Improved lighting
That was the first thing I noticed. I think the lighting in the Hall can be absolutely atrocious. I can't even imagine how much more it must bother you as a photographer!
Old Apr 16, 2011, 03:55 PM   #17
Illini 52
Will seating capacity be lower with suites?
Old Apr 16, 2011, 06:29 PM   #18
ilphotog
The camera never lies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illini 52 View Post
More than likely, was told that B-section would be effected if they stay with those plans.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 09:17 PM   #19
illinicb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illini 52 View Post
I suspect it might almost have to unless they can pick up additional seating with the lowering of the "event floor" and the "bowl seating".
Old Apr 17, 2011, 09:51 AM   #20
roundball1
Banned
I was told the U does not own the Hall? Is that true? Why would they spend $$$ if thats true.....
Old Apr 17, 2011, 10:15 AM   #21
illinicb
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundball1 View Post
I was told the U does not own the Hall? Is that true? Why would they spend $$$ if thats true.....
The DIA, does not own AH, they are just a tenant I believe, but I'm not sure what specific entity owns it. I'm a little fuzzy on this, but I think the students at one point owned it in a sense because of fees, but I'm sure someone knows for certain.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 11:18 AM   #22
IlliniOllie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Got a look at the pdfs. Highlights of the project-

Estimated project timeframe: January 2013 thru June 2015. Goal is to play thru the construction at the Hall.

# A new grand west entry addition featuring new administractive offices and new points of entry
# Lowering of the event floor
# The addition of fan suites
# New bowl seating
# Enlarging the concourse
# Added toilet facilities
# Air conditioning
# Updated lighting
# ADA requirements
Well, given the results of the project across the street at Memorial Stadium, I expect that the Assembly Hall renovation will also promise the world to sell the project, with only about half of the stuff actually being done.

The grand west entry, of course. It fits with the "only build on the west side of a stadium" motif that we saw with Memorial Stadium.

I'm guessing that "lowering the floor" is going to go the way that "lowering the field" did at Memorial Stadium.

Suites are a definite - those are the only fans RG cares about anyways.

New bowl seating will probably get done, although I wouldn't be surprised to see section C get ignored.

Enlarging the concourse and added toilet facilities will probably only be appreciably done for the suite areas, and the unwashed masses in the other sections will be ignored, just like the commoners in the Horseshoe and east stands.

Air conditioning will probably get done, so they can host summer events. (While they're at it, insulate the roof or do something so you don't have to close all but one entrance due to falling ice every winter.)

Updated lighting, probably. That's easy.

ADA requirements, sure.

And, of course, capacity will be reduced, because the arena only has so much space.

Old Apr 17, 2011, 11:21 AM   #23
Thacher_H_Guild
I think the DIA is a bit more than just a tenant now--I think they went through with a plan a few years back to transfer management of the Assembly Hall to the DIA (from Student Affairs). I could be wrong about that, but I think they manage it now. It is supported by student fees, but I think it is technically owned by the state, but from a practical standpoint it doesn't matter. The only reason a non-owner would hesitate to invest in improving his or her "home" would be a concern that the tenant might leave or be kicked out and then lose the benefit of those improvements. In this case, it is hard to see what other tenant the state could bring in to replace the Illinois DIA, and from the DIA's perspective, if there is not university and state support for a new building, there is no way that is going to happen--so they aren't going to be moving anywhere. Because they will be around, they are the ones who will benefit from the improvements.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 11:26 AM   #24
William
I applaud the renovation. The question is will Guenther improve his position with President Hogan to be the lead on the renovation. So far, all I have seen is Guenther getting bumped from the Board of Trustee meeting, because the agenda was full. Not a real good spin for the renovations or Guenther's position with Hogan.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 11:43 AM   #25
illinicb
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniOllie View Post
The grand west entry, of course. It fits with the "only build on the west side of a stadium" motif that we saw with Memorial Stadium.

I'm guessing that "lowering the floor" is going to go the way that "lowering the field" did at Memorial Stadium.
Trying to tie your apparent complaints about Memorial Stadium to renovation of the main entrance to the Assembly Hall that happens to be located on the west side is a stretch, but have at it.

The lowering of the field at Memorial Stadium was technically possible, but due to the slope of the stands would have resulted in blocked sight lines. A lost opportunity to complain about something more substantive.
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »