Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Spring/Summer Recruiting Thread

Closed Thread

Old Jun 4, 2012, 09:30 PM   #3726
illinixc

This is a really good video on Tyler Ennis.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 07:14 AM   #3727
Kramer116
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan3923 View Post
Alexander plays on an AAU team sponsored by Adidas so the rumors were that he would be steered to an Adidas sponsored school.
Curie HS is completely decked out in full Adidas gear as well.

Alexander was invited to play in the Adidas Nations event last year.

But his top schools at the moment seem to be Nike schools in MSU and UK.

I always thought the Adidas connection was interesting, but I was going to withhold any sort judgement until I saw what schools were on his list.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 07:14 AM   #3728
scubadunk
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinixc View Post

This is a really good video on Tyler Ennis.
We may be recruiting Ennis hard but we were not on a recent list of schools that he said he was interested in. So not sure where we stand after that.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 07:24 AM   #3729
illiniparkie
Quote:
Kansas & Illinois have turned up their recruiting efforts on Demetrius Jackson ... http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/1192146.html

https://twitter.com/#!/EvanDanielsFOX
Old Jun 5, 2012, 10:47 AM   #3730
TCTORNADO
Sorry if this has been already posted, but Maverick Morgan is scheduled to visit on June 12.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 10:59 AM   #3731
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCTORNADO View Post
Sorry if this has been already posted, but Maverick Morgan is scheduled to visit on June 12.
This will be a key period. Groce will finally be able to bring some guys in for visits. Let's hope he can get a commitment in June to get the summer rolling.

Old Jun 5, 2012, 11:09 AM   #3732
Kramer116
Larry Austin is visiting June 11th.

Maverick Morgan is visiting June 12th.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 11:17 AM   #3733
kuhl84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramer116 View Post

Groce isn't wasting any time. First day of workout June 11, and he has visits scheduled for 6/11 & 6/12.

I like the way he runs things.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 11:44 AM   #3734
Botb9
Realist
Quote:

Hope their organizational skills are good. Groce and Co. will be texting them non-stop once 6/15 rolls around.

Old Jun 5, 2012, 11:51 AM   #3735
BrooksTaylorFan
Banned
Quote:

Great news! Both would be great to get.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 11:51 AM   #3736
UofIChE06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botb9 View Post
Hope their organizational skills are good. Groce and Co. will be texting them non-stop once 6/15 rolls around.
I hope not... unfortunately though it is probably true.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 12:35 PM   #3737
FaninCa
I recall Larry Austin being kinda down on Illinois awhile ago, and hoping for bigger offers. Has that changed with the new coaching staff?

Nic Moore and Larry Austin would be some nice additions this summer..
Old Jun 5, 2012, 01:27 PM   #3738
illiniparkie
Klee's response regarding a key recruit question in today's chat:

Quote:
Outside the usual suspects in '13 and '14? I'd say a Nic Moore/Demetrius Jackson type. Nic Moore has proven he can produce against postseason-caliber competition. And you need ballhandlers, badly. Some would say Moore is a bridge-the-gap guy; I think he's better than that, as do several high-major assistants I've talked to. He would fit in quite well with John Groce's plan, and Illinois will continue to push for the Illinois State transfer. I expect Nic Moore will be on the SMU campus this week, and I expect Illinois will try to get him on campus next week. I don't expect Purdue will be on the final list, but that could change. The Illinois staff has a relationship with Moore. Assistant coach Jamall Walker was their lead recruiter on the point guard at Ohio, and Groce has those Indiana ties. As for fifth-year seniors, Wright State transfer Julius Mays was the best prospect in that regard. He's going to Kentucky. As for other visits, I think you'll see Maverick Morgan on the Illinois campus early next week, along with visits from East Chicago guard Hyron Edwards and Springfield Lanphier combo guard Larry Austin Jr.

http://www.illinihq.com/chats/2012-0...ball-chat.html
Old Jun 5, 2012, 02:22 PM   #3739
illinisc
Quote:
Originally Posted by illiniparkie View Post
Klee's response regarding a key recruit question in today's chat:

Looks like we might be the team to beat for Nic Moore and things sound pretty positive about Demetrius Jackson. I think Groce knows he'll get at least one of the two and that's why he parted way with Jalen James.

Also, I think its awesome that DJ and Bertrand are already back on campus working out together. Looks like those two are taking this upcoming season pretty seriously.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 02:24 PM   #3740
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Illinois is now expressing interest in 2014 Team Scan (NY) PF Chris McCullough. UCLA inquired the other day, as well.

http://twitter.com/TheRecruitScoop
Old Jun 5, 2012, 02:30 PM   #3741
TEYPAY
is it just me or are we really branching out from just Illinois players. I am not saying that is bad but it seems either the current expectations are higher (going after higher / more national recruits) or maybe the background of the current staff allows us to have more "in's". After all, Howard, McClain and Weber all were Illinois sort of people (okay - Weber a long time ago Indiana).
Old Jun 5, 2012, 02:33 PM   #3742
Kramer116
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEYPAY View Post
is it just me or are we really branching out from just Illinois players. I am not saying that is bad but it seems either the current expectations are higher (going after higher / more national recruits) or maybe the background of the current staff allows us to have more "in's". After all, Howard, McClain and Weber all were Illinois sort of people (okay - Weber a long time ago Indiana).
Part of it is that we are kind of "behind" with the Illinois kids in the 2013/2014 classes. Plus, this staff is not going to put all their eggs in one basketball (Illinois kids only).

I prefer it that way. It puts more pressure on local kids to commit or their spot may fill up. If they do not want to come here, there are plenty of good players all over the country.

There is absolutely no reason we can not recruit nationally. Other schools in the B1G do it. Other schools in the Midwest do it. Weber refused to do it or could not do it. I am all for it. I don't care where they come from, get the best players possible.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 02:39 PM   #3743
Holdemall
More from the Klee chat
Quote:
A commitment from Nunn would be as important with perception as it would be with his ability. Okay player, but it would be just as big from a perception standpoint, in landing a Simeon guy with plenty of hype behind him.
http://www.illinihq.com/chats/2012-0...ball-chat.html
Klee=tough grader
Old Jun 5, 2012, 02:48 PM   #3744
joekam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Goodson View Post
WTF? What, exactly, are you basing your fear of losing Hill on? I've seen no evidence to warrant worrying about Hill's commitment.
Were you not a fan when the IDKWTI situation went down? I'm not saying this is a similar case and you are correct that nothing do far indicates there should be concern, but it is also fair to say that things can change between now and the day Hill puts pen to paper and signs his LoI. That's all.

Old Jun 5, 2012, 02:52 PM   #3745
Sure Shot
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by joekam View Post
Were you not a fan when the IDKWTI situation went down? I'm not saying this is a similar case and you are correct that nothing do far indicates there should be concern, but it is also fair to say that things can change between now and the day Hill puts pen to paper and signs his LoI. That's all.
There were a million tangible things to be concerned about in the IDKWTI recruitment from the day Mike Davis was fired.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 02:56 PM   #3746
joekam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sure Shot View Post
There were a million tangible things to be concerned about in the IDKWTI recruitment from the day Mike Davis was fired.
True. My point is that things can change. I'm not saying ihabe inside info or facts or anything, and I'm not trying to cause panic. The back to back losses of Chew and James, regardless of how each poster viewed James' potential, has been a bit of a downer. Hopefully things start to pick up soon so that we can get some positive momentum going.

Old Jun 5, 2012, 03:49 PM   #3747
U of I 89-05-10
Banned
From what I've been reading, (*KNOCK ON WOOD!!!!!!!*), our 2013 and 2014 classes - one way or another, instate kids or not - will both turn out okay, and by the time we get to 2015, that'll be our chance to really "lock down" (in parentheses because there is so much talent in Illinois that one team has too few spots to ever not let someone "slip away") the state.

We may be behind with Okafor, Alexander, maybe Parker and maybe even Austin, Jr., but it's good to hear we're in good spots with Moore and Jackson, and I see no reason to think we're still not in a good spot, if not leading, with Nunn. I've said this from the beginning, and I could be wrong, but I think a commitment from Nunn goes a long way toward landing Parker, who I think is way more attainable than most here seem to think. I understand tampering the expectations because of the last few years, but I've never heard that national of a recruit be so high on UI since Marcus Liberty, hahaha.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 04:09 PM   #3748
Joel Goodson
Coffee is for closers!
Quote:
Part of it is that we are kind of "behind" with the Illinois kids in the 2013/2014 classes. Plus, this staff is not going to put all their eggs in one basketball (Illinois kids only).

I prefer it that way. It puts more pressure on local kids to commit or their spot may fill up. If they do not want to come here, there are plenty of good players all over the country.

There is absolutely no reason we can not recruit nationally. Other schools in the B1G do it. Other schools in the Midwest do it. Weber refused to do it or could not do it. I am all for it. I don't care where they come from, get the best players possible.
+infinity

Narrowing our scope to just Illinois is beyond idiotic.

Disclaimer: not saying we should squander our recruiting resources on Quixotic forays.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 04:18 PM   #3749
Foo G
Can bring the ball up
Quote:
Originally Posted by U of I 89-05-10 View Post
From what I've been reading, (*KNOCK ON WOOD!!!!!!!*), our 2013 and 2014 classes - one way or another, instate kids or not - will both turn out okay, and by the time we get to 2015, that'll be our chance to really "lock down" (in parentheses because there is so much talent in Illinois that one team has too few spots to ever not let someone "slip away") the state.
There is so much talent available in the next few years that just about everyone will have great recruiting classes. How they fit together and within the program will be what ultimately separates the talent-laden teams.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 04:50 PM   #3750
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Quote:
Originally Posted by joekam View Post
Terrible analogy.
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »