Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

John Groce's Illini Coaching Staff - Dustin Ford, Paris Parham, Jamall Walker

Closed Thread

Old Apr 10, 2012, 12:09 PM   #1276
grkill
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeThomas4Prez View Post
Thank you, someone needed to say it. Im not sure why some people on here think Jerrance is responsible for every recruit we've landed over the past few years.IMO Jerrance was only beginning to get us recruits. As you said he bagged James, although I think Jalen wanted to come here really bad anyways. Abrams was a big get.
Ive always respected Jerrance, and he bleeds orange and blue. But Im not sure why that makes him irreplaceable. Good guy, but as I've said before he can easily be replaced
Agree 100%
Old Apr 10, 2012, 12:11 PM   #1277
scubadunk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
Those schools have much less to gain from getting Jerrance than a DePaul or Marquette type school.
I agree that Jerrance would be much more dangerous at a school in the midwest like DePaul or Marquette but Im not sure he was the great recruiter he is portrayed out to be. He landed some good prospects last year who will hopefully pan out this year but other than that Price has the better track record than JH. We are giving JH too much credit (although I think he did a great job with the hand he was dealt) but its the head coach, the school, and the current athletes that close the deal on whether or not to head to Champaign. I think JG understands that and was ready to move on and let JH try and continue what successes he had at UofI.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 12:25 PM   #1278
james81
Prior to JH, the recruiting had hit a stone wall. After his arrival, we had three highly-rated classes in a row. Coincidence? I don't think so. He received two salary increases, making him not only the youngest, but highest paid assistant. Are there guys out there that may be better recruiters than he is? Probably. How likely is it that we'll get them? Low. How likely is it we'll get a guy as good as JH? Very difficult to know. When you toss in the relationship he has with the current players, the ties he has made with coaches and players throughout the state, and his loyalty to the program, we should be happy if he stays. It doesn't mean the sky is falling if he leaves, but it's unlikely we'll get someone better.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 12:29 PM   #1279
HeartofaChampion
Quote:
Originally Posted by james81 View Post
Prior to JH, the recruiting had hit a stone wall. After his arrival, we had three highly-rated classes in a row. Coincidence? I don't think so. He received two salary increases, making him not only the youngest, but highest paid assistant. Are there guys out there that may be better recruiters than he is? Probably. How likely is it that we'll get them? Low. How likely is it we'll get a guy as good as JH? Very difficult to know. When you toss in the relationship he has with the current players, the ties he has made with coaches and players throughout the state, and his loyalty to the program, we should be happy if he stays. It doesn't mean the sky is falling if he leaves, but it's unlikely we'll get someone better.
Guessing it's more likely that he gets a better offer for himself.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 12:29 PM   #1280
FinalFour88
Quote:
You make good points here. But keep in mind that Groce is a huge, huge upgrade in terms of recruiting from Weber. Weber is not a very good recruiter. If he was, we wouldn't have seen the "coincidence" of Jerrance coming in and helping land all these good recruits. Weber would have been getting good players before Jerrance came, but he wasn't. With a better recruiting head coach in Groce, losing Jerrance doesn't hurt so bad.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 12:34 PM   #1281
Illiniwek06
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinalFour88 View Post
You make good points here. But keep in mind that Groce is a huge, huge upgrade in terms of recruiting from Weber. Weber is not a very good recruiter. If he was, we wouldn't have seen the "coincidence" of Jerrance coming in and helping land all these good recruits. Weber would have been getting good players before Jerrance came, but he wasn't. With a better recruiting head coach in Groce, losing Jerrance doesn't hurt so bad.
Agreed. This is the key point for me. I also think that JH earned some recruiting cred because of Calipari/Pastner. I'm not saying that JH is a good or bad recruiter, but it speaks well of JH that these coaches were interested in him.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 12:34 PM   #1282
OrchardDowns
Quote:
Originally Posted by grkill View Post
I agree! Howard has not landed anyone! He is NOT respected in Chicago. Ask the AAU Coaches, Howard is not from Chicago, and not a Chicago guy. Howard had to go! Start fresh and clean.

I'm not sure why people love Howard so much! He
Did NOT bring talent here!

I wish him luck but I'm not worried about him taking Chicago players away. He was a non factor and the CPL coaches and AAU coaches will tell you!

I wanted this move and I'm happy we can move on! I wish him luck!
WOW!!! After hearing the news we no longer have Howard on staff, I sure hope you're right, but somehow, I HIGHLY doubt it!!!!
Old Apr 10, 2012, 12:39 PM   #1283
IlliniBone
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooksTaylorFan View Post
He was really burned out being away from home so much from his family. Not sure how that changes or gets better a year or two later. I would be very reluctant to hire Miller.
FWIW, there were rumblings when he left the OSU program that he was unhappy with the way Matta recruited in the so-called "gray area".
Old Apr 10, 2012, 12:40 PM   #1284
KBLEE
Quote:
With JH, recruiting improved, but it's not as if he was bringing in blue-chippers. JG and his staff should be able to do as well or better in due time.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 12:40 PM   #1285
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Quote:
Originally Posted by grkill View Post
I agree! Howard has not landed anyone! He is NOT respected in Chicago. Ask the AAU Coaches, Howard is not from Chicago, and not a Chicago guy. Howard had to go! Start fresh and clean.

I'm not sure why people love Howard so much! He
Did NOT bring talent here!
Except for the 2011 and 2013 classes, you're right.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 12:41 PM   #1286
combes
As I have posted before, Illinois fans were in a panic when Tony Yates left for Cincy. He was our Chicago recruiter who pulled in a number of top Chicago guys for Henson. Then Henson hired Jimmy Collins (who was not a Chicago guy) and fans panicked even more. Then Collins kicked butt on the recruiting trail and Yates was just a fond memory. Thank goodness there was no internet then.

Jerrance was good, no doubt. But recruiting turned around before he was hired. Jereme Richmond, the highest ranked recruit at the time, committed two years before Jerrance came on board. Paul, Richardson and Bertrand were set to commit just as Howard was hired. Other than Richardson, the other recruits barely knew him. Crandall Head was coming with or without Jerrance. Luther wanted him to play for Weber. Leonard was a Price recruit that had nothing to do with Howard. Hill is also a Price recruit.

Howard's best work was going forward, imo. His first real class was the 2011 class. He recommended Orris for the 2012 class. He got Jalen James. He was involved with a lot of other Chicago area guys, but none of them are end-all recruits unless Jerrance was going to pull in Parker. And I don't think that was happening.

I wish Jerrance was still on staff, but he is not. Tiime to move on.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 12:47 PM   #1287
joekam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Yates View Post
Anyone who thinks we won't be competing against Jerrance Howard for Chicago recruits is crazy. JH has market value as an assistant coach primarily because of his close ties all over the State of Illinois, including Chicago. He will surely land with a coaching staff that's looking or build or maintain valuable recruiting connections in Chicago. For those of you who wanted this result, be careful what you wish for . . . .
Exactly my concern... on top of the fact that I wanted J How here. I wonder how much truth there was to Groce seriously considering retaining Howard.

What's done is done, so from here I wish J How well (hopefully his coaching career comes full circle and back to Illinois one day) and hope that he does not land at Kentucky, DePaul, or any other school near Illinois.

Florida, if true, would be a nice landing spot in terms of furthering his career and being a bit far from Florida. Of course recruits have always been interested in Florida as a program and by its geographic perks compared to the old Midwest, but I feel like a non Midwest program would help minimize our run ins with Howard.

Old Apr 10, 2012, 12:50 PM   #1288
joekam
Quote:
Originally Posted by illynifan34 View Post
I agree, especially if the rumors that JH puffed up guys that didn't deserve the puffing. It is one thing to instill confidence in the players, it is quite another to tell them they are better than they are. I'll take some lumps in recruiting against JH in Chicago if it means the entire staff is on the same page.

Now we should see if we have any transfers.
Can you or someone provide a little more insight on this? All I recall hearing about this alleged issue was when J Rich's uncle came out with those public comments in the papers. Days later J Rich's dad came out and had a different take. Curious to know further details if available.

Old Apr 10, 2012, 12:59 PM   #1289
pizzaman
I just can't get my head around a bunch of guys from Ohio trying to recruit elite Illinois High School basketball players. I'm a homer and I expect some evidence that the UI has a past in basketball and the current staff should honor and reflect that past.

I think the Chris Yates post is absolutely correct.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 12:59 PM   #1290
katu06
I first said what feels like weeks ago that it would probably be best if Snacks moves to another program. I don't have time to read all the pages I have missed here, but I think we are far better off with 3 assistants that are 100% behind Groce and that Groce is comfortable with.

Good luck JH in your next job.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 01:04 PM   #1291
katu06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Yates View Post
Anyone who thinks we won't be competing against Jerrance Howard for Chicago recruits is crazy. JH has market value as an assistant coach primarily because of his close ties all over the State of Illinois, including Chicago. He will surely land with a coaching staff that's looking or build or maintain valuable recruiting connections in Chicago. For those of you who wanted this result, be careful what you wish for . . . .
If JH isn't the best fit for the job, then he isn't the best fit for the job. We have had 6 years of average basketball with assistant coaches that weren't 100% behind the head coach and a bunch of, what I would call, attempts at putting square pegs in roung holes. We needed a change.

I think that JH will do very well wherever he goes next.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 01:09 PM   #1292
FinalFour88
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzaman View Post
I just can't get my head around a bunch of guys from Ohio trying to recruit elite Illinois High School basketball players. I'm a homer and I expect some evidence that the UI has a past in basketball and the current staff should honor and reflect that past.

I think the Chris Yates post is absolutely correct.
Bill Self didn't have any Illinois or Chicago connections when he took the Illini job, but he formed relationships really quick and landed guys like Dee Brown. If a guy can recruit, he can recruit anywhere. Sure, Self had Wayne McClain on staff, but I don't think Dee chose UI because of Wayne.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 01:10 PM   #1293
HeartofaChampion
http://blogs.suntimes.com/hoopsrepor...earch_con.html

Interesting take. Sounds like he's talked to JH often the last 2 weeks.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 01:13 PM   #1294
pizzaman
Quote:
Bill Self didn't have any Illinois or Chicago connections when he took the Illini job, but he formed relationships really quick and landed guys like Dee Brown. If a guy can recruit, he can recruit anywhere. Sure, Self had Wayne McClain on staff, but I don't think Dee chose UI because of Wayne.
I'm not suggesting that Groce can't or won't be successful. The little I've heard or read about him, I like him. I just like to have Illini representing and coaching on the staff. I don't get thrilled when the coaches are from Ohio or in Self's case, Oklahoma. For the record I never liked Self. I was happy he left. When Weber was hired, I was hoping Judson would be the new head coach. I'm a homer and can't help it.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 01:14 PM   #1295
HeartofaChampion
And I was just texted that the players seen at Ubben today didn't seem happy about JH not being retained but that no one is expected to transfer over it. JH was at Ubben a handful of times the last couple weeks but hasn't been involved in coaching the guys in workouts. Sad to see someone who loved the school and program so much have to leave, but he'll land on his feet at a great situation imo.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 01:16 PM   #1296
james81
Quote:
I agree. We should see better overall recruiting regardless of what JH does, but if he does stay, I'd say we are better off than if he leaves, at least for the next year or two. Perhaps, for the first time in history, Illinois is positioned to contest the entire Midwest for recruits, and if Groce is successful, his style of play could attract players outside of the Midwest. Langford seems to be the perfect fit for Groce's style. That will be an interesting relationship to watch.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 01:20 PM   #1297
KBLEE
Quote:
I agree. We should see better overall recruiting regardless of what JH does, but if he does stay, I'd say we are better off than if he leaves, at least for the next year or two.
He's not staying.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 01:21 PM   #1298
HeartofaChampion
Quote:
Are u serious....?? Now Im mad this is why I dont read or want to know whats going on!! #ILLINInation Im heated over here NO JERANCE HOWARD?

https://twitter.com/#!/deebrown11/st...84673650606080
Old Apr 10, 2012, 01:22 PM   #1299
pizzaman
Quote:
I agree. We should see better overall recruiting regardless of what JH does, but if he does stay, I'd say we are better off than if he leaves, at least for the next year or two. Perhaps, for the first time in history, Illinois is positioned to contest the entire Midwest for recruits, and if Groce is successful, his style of play could attract players outside of the Midwest. Langford seems to be the perfect fit for Groce's style. That will be an interesting relationship to watch.
How in the world can you draw the conclusion that the new coaching staff will see "better overall recruiting regardless of what JH does." Take Howard out of the equation. When has anyone on this staff recruited anyone to the UI? They might fall flat and be complete failures. Isn't that a possibility?

Again, I hope they are successful but some of the posters are drinking way too much Kool aid. If recruiting to UI were easy, we'd be talking about regular final fours and National championships instead of a final four every 15-20 years.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 01:23 PM   #1300
pizzaman
I'm with Dee's tweet or twitter or whatever you call it.
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »