Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

John Groce's Illini Coaching Staff - Dustin Ford, Paris Parham, Jamall Walker

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old Apr 17, 2012, 06:29 AM   #1651
Railsplitter
Banned
Posts: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Illini View Post
same
I'm excited to see next years team but, I have a few reservations . First, although most would disagree , it wouldn,t have bothered me if BP had went pro . In fact I would have encouraged it . With Groce's presumed style of shoot if you can ( which I have no problem with ) 3's and press occasionally .IMO that scenario will only encourage BP to jack even more 3's than ever . And I would be fine with that too except we are not a good shooting team . And can't see that changing with our current supposed starting line-u p .
Railsplitter is offline
Old Apr 17, 2012, 06:45 AM   #1652
AK Illini
UofI Basketball..off the chain
Location: Chicago
Posts: 7,500
I'm not going to worry about one player wrecking a system just yet. Next year will be a rough ride...the league is just too tough. I think we're all just eager for a new direction...the stagnant program was just getting to be too much to take.
AK Illini is offline
Old Apr 17, 2012, 06:59 AM   #1653
Railsplitter
Banned
Posts: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Illini View Post
I'm not going to worry about one player wrecking a system just yet. Next year will be a rough ride...the league is just too tough. I think we're all just eager for a new direction...the stagnant program was just getting to be too much to take.
I agree with the second part but One player can ruin the chemistry of a team if left unchecked . Not saying Groce will do that , but think back to the Shaun Pruitt days .
Railsplitter is offline
Old Apr 17, 2012, 07:41 AM   #1654
illinicb
illinicb's Avatar
Location: Northbrook
Posts: 7,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeFever View Post
He's got a mixture of older, pretty good players, and a large group of young, inexperienced players filled with apparent potential, including the sophomore MVP.
I think this is a good summary of the current roster. Perhaps experience will transform "apparent potential" to real production, but if you don't have orange and blue glasses on, it is difficult to see how this team is poised to make much improvement next year.

__________________
"I could care less" does not mean the same as "I couldn't care less"
illinicb is offline
Old Apr 17, 2012, 08:00 AM   #1655
bleedsorangenblue
bleedsorangenblue's Avatar
Location: C-U
Posts: 1,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinicb View Post
I think this is a good summary of the current roster. Perhaps experience will transform "apparent potential" to real production, but if you don't have orange and blue glasses on, it is difficult to see how this team is poised to make much improvement next year.
Boy, have you got this pegged! While I am sure that we are all optimistic that this team can take a leap or two forward, there is nothing they have shown that can convince me that this will happen. Maybe Groce is a miracle worker and the team excells. I will be happy if we just improve. I don't plan on getting any expectations up having seen what happened this past year. No more paper tiger optimism. If we get half way through the B1G season and are winning some games, I will be able to jump on board full force.
bleedsorangenblue is offline
Old Apr 17, 2012, 08:27 AM   #1656
BrooksTaylorFan
Banned
Location: Illinois
Posts: 5,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedsorangenblue View Post
Boy, have you got this pegged! While I am sure that we are all optimistic that this team can take a leap or two forward, there is nothing they have shown that can convince me that this will happen. Maybe Groce is a miracle worker and the team excells. I will be happy if we just improve. I don't plan on getting any expectations up having seen what happened this past year. No more paper tiger optimism. If we get half way through the B1G season and are winning some games, I will be able to jump on board full force.
It all comes down to accountability. Weber let BP and DJ do whatever they wanted to on the court which included wasting ML's abilities and production. Weber also refused to play his young players consistantly except for Abrams.
Not to mention Weber's quick leash on guys like Griffey.

Under Groce, you will see more discpline out of BP and DJ and you will see guys like Henry, Langford, Griff, and Shaw get regular minutes. We'll play with more of an attacking style and actually make coaches game plan against us. The schedule is certainly more difficult, but it also bodes well for strengthening our RPI and making us better in the last half of the season.

I loved the development of Abrams in the last 10 games or so and even though Egwu isn't as gifted as ML, his energy and ability to control his emotions will make him just as effective. I personally enjoy being the underdog and I think that's one key that Groce will use to motivate his team. Hopefully we can find a PG or big to add to the roster, but the days of 40 point games and not using our bench are finally behind us. Just my two cents.

Last edited by BrooksTaylorFan; Apr 17, 2012 at 08:30 AM.
BrooksTaylorFan is offline
Old Apr 17, 2012, 08:56 AM   #1657
blmillini
Location: Bloomington, IL
Posts: 3,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooksTaylorFan View Post
It all comes down to accountability. Weber let BP and DJ do whatever they wanted to on the court which included wasting ML's abilities and production. Weber also refused to play his young players consistantly except for Abrams.
Not to mention Weber's quick leash on guys like Griffey.

Under Groce, you will see more discpline out of BP and DJ and you will see guys like Henry, Langford, Griff, and Shaw get regular minutes. We'll play with more of an attacking style and actually make coaches game plan against us. The schedule is certainly more difficult, but it also bodes well for strengthening our RPI and making us better in the last half of the season.

I loved the development of Abrams in the last 10 games or so and even though Egwu isn't as gifted as ML, his energy and ability to control his emotions will make him just as effective. I personally enjoy being the underdog and I think that's one key that Groce will use to motivate his team. Hopefully we can find a PG or big to add to the roster, but the days of 40 point games and not using our bench are finally behind us. Just my two cents.
I couldn't agree more. I'm much more optimistic about next season under this staff than I would have been under Weber's. I think we will start to see young players really develop now rather than sucking the confidence out of them while they waste away on the bench. I also think we will see BP and DJ both drive to the bucket more and we will see more 3's out of Griffey.
blmillini is offline
Old Apr 17, 2012, 09:03 AM   #1658
hermie1985
Posts: 1,305
I think the book on defending BW's offense was established fairly early in his career at Illinois. Read the North Carolina Museum thread with Roy Williams' game plan. The plan. Defend the perimeter and make them drive. They won't.

Given that fact, improvements with this roster should come with ML the only one to replace. He wasn't used effectively 75% of the time so replacing him may or may not be a problem. Depends on Egwu and Ibby stepping up.

If the conference is tough and in the national picture, that is good for the Illinois brand going forward.
hermie1985 is offline
Old Apr 17, 2012, 09:30 AM   #1659
pizzaman
pizzaman's Avatar
Location: Northwoods of Wisconsin
Posts: 2,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinicb View Post
I think this is a good summary of the current roster. Perhaps experience will transform "apparent potential" to real production, but if you don't have orange and blue glasses on, it is difficult to see how this team is poised to make much improvement next year.
Even if they don't improve but play like they did when they were 15-3 for the entire year the Illini faithful will be overjoyed IMO. What needs eliminated is the regression late in the season that has been too common.

For me, that would be real improvement.
pizzaman is offline
Old Apr 17, 2012, 09:32 AM   #1660
OrangeFever
Lead, don't follow
OrangeFever's Avatar
Location: Seattle area
Posts: 16,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by hermie1985 View Post
I think the book on defending BW's offense was established fairly early in his career at Illinois. Read the North Carolina Museum thread with Roy Williams' game plan. The plan. Defend the perimeter and make them drive. They won't.

Given that fact, improvements with this roster should come with ML the only one to replace. He wasn't used effectively 75% of the time so replacing him may or may not be a problem. Depends on Egwu and Ibby stepping up.

If the conference is tough and in the national picture, that is good for the Illinois brand going forward.
Good post. We'll have our hands full next year keeping our noses above water. The league is tough and deep, we've got a lot of questions, and we're in transition. The change of leadership and atmosphere is encouraging in and of itself. My focus for next year is the adjustment to the new system. Winning isn't really expected and would be a nice bonus.
OrangeFever is offline
Old Apr 17, 2012, 10:41 AM   #1661
FlyinIllini 11
FlyinIllini 11's Avatar
Posts: 254
has there been any word lately on the last couple spots on the staff. I remember the day news broke of us bring in Coach Chew that one guy tweeted that Ramon Williams would be joining the staff along with Chew but i havent saw anything besides that since then.. did i miss something?
FlyinIllini 11 is offline
Old Apr 17, 2012, 04:19 PM   #1662
IlliniBond
Banned
Posts: 1,018
On paper - I like the fact that JG and his staff of assistant coaches seem to have contacts in a lot more states than the old regime:
You have contacts in IL, IN, OH, IA, KS, KY, NC, MO, OK and in the city of Chicago CPL

JG grew up in Muncie Indiana, went to Taylor U in Indiana, asst under Sendek at NC State, asst under Matta at Butler, asst under Matta at Xavier, asst under Matta at Ohio State and HC at Ohio U

Jamall Walker - attended Wichita KS HS, went to St Louis U, was an asst at HS in Alton, IL, asst at HS in Kansas, asst at Redlands JC in OK, an asst at Murray State in KY, an asst under Miller at Arizona, an asst at Ball State in IN, an asst at Ohio U.

Dustin Ford, grew up in Ohio, went to Ohio U, HC at Ohio HS, asst at Western Carolina, asst at Ohio U

Isaac Chew attended Wells HS in the CPL and voted Blue West player of the year, attended Avila college in Kansas City, asst at Indian Hills JC in Iowa, asst at Murray State with Walker, AAU coach with KC Pump 'N Run, asst at Mizzou
IlliniBond is offline
Old Apr 19, 2012, 06:42 PM   #1663
Jules
Posts: 75
So is there any word if deon Thomas will be joining the staff in any capacity? Looks like the other from Ohio has also joined the staff as some sort of administrator!
Jules is offline
Old Apr 24, 2012, 12:08 AM   #1664
kuek86
Posts: 4
Just glad to see that Chicago seems to be a priority!
kuek86 is offline
Old Apr 24, 2012, 07:19 AM   #1665
Groundhogday
Groundhogday's Avatar
Posts: 24,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
So is there any word if deon Thomas will be joining the staff in any capacity? Looks like the other from Ohio has also joined the staff as some sort of administrator!
I would assume that Deon would not be joining the staff since the last position has not been filled and Deon has had a chance to interview.

__________________
ONLY ORANGE!
Groundhogday is offline
Old Apr 25, 2012, 01:26 PM   #1666
illiniracers
illiniracers's Avatar
Location: Rock Island
Posts: 234
My friend and fellow Murray State graduate Mark Morris has been named Director of Basketball Operations.
illiniracers is offline
Old Apr 25, 2012, 01:38 PM   #1667
BrooksTaylorFan
Banned
Location: Illinois
Posts: 5,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by illiniracers View Post
My friend and fellow Murray State graduate Mark Morris has been named Director of Basketball Operations.
He was on Groce's staff at Ohio, correct?
BrooksTaylorFan is offline
Old Apr 25, 2012, 01:41 PM   #1668
Dan
Admin
Dan's Avatar
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 30,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by illiniracers View Post
My friend and fellow Murray State graduate Mark Morris has been named Director of Basketball Operations.
This guy?
Quote:


Position:
Graduate Assistant

http://www.ohiobobcats.com/sports/m-...is_mark00.html
Dan is offline
Old Apr 25, 2012, 01:49 PM   #1669
Dan
Admin
Dan's Avatar
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 30,119
Quote:
Andy Etheridge will be hired as the graduate assistant on John Groce's staff. Andy is a former Illini student manager and a graduate of Normal Community High School. "He's been great for us," Groce said. Congrats to Andy.

http://www.illinihq.com/chats/2012-0...ball-chat.html
Dan is offline
Old Apr 25, 2012, 05:30 PM   #1670
illiniracers
illiniracers's Avatar
Location: Rock Island
Posts: 234
To Brooks and Dan. Yes. He had it as a Facebook status.
illiniracers is offline
Old Apr 25, 2012, 05:59 PM   #1671
Groundhogday
Groundhogday's Avatar
Posts: 24,195
So....

Groce______Head Coach
Chew_______Associate Head Coach
Walker_____Assistant Coach
Ford_______Assistant Coach
Williams___???Administrative Position to be Named Later??
Morris_____Dir. of Basketball Operations
Etheridge__Graduate Assistant


Other than Chew and Etheridge, these are all guys from Groce's Ohio staff.

__________________
ONLY ORANGE!
Groundhogday is offline
Old Apr 25, 2012, 06:03 PM   #1672
justsomedude
Posts: 2,557
I'm a little sad Deon or a past Illini couldn't find there way to the staff, but best luck.

I hope Groce goes out of his way to recruit Bardo/Gill/Thomas etc to be involved in the program.
justsomedude is offline
Old Apr 25, 2012, 06:15 PM   #1673
Groundhogday
Groundhogday's Avatar
Posts: 24,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomedude View Post
I'm a little sad Deon or a past Illini couldn't find there way to the staff, but best luck.

I hope Groce goes out of his way to recruit Bardo/Gill/Thomas etc to be involved in the program.
At this point in his life, Deon may not have been willing to log long hours for low pay as a Director of Basketball Operations.

__________________
ONLY ORANGE!
Groundhogday is offline
Old Apr 25, 2012, 08:01 PM   #1674
illiniracers
illiniracers's Avatar
Location: Rock Island
Posts: 234
Morris and Chew also worked together at Murray State when Morris was a manager.
illiniracers is offline
Old May 10, 2012, 03:02 PM   #1675
DaytonIllini
DaytonIllini's Avatar
Posts: 19,826
New DOBO
Another former Ohio U guy. Former Grad assist.

http://www.fightingillini.com/sports...051012aaa.html

Does this (I know it's not news) mean that Groce is that loyal? Is it a strength to have an entire staff that moves together?

__________________
No nation can preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare.
-- James Madison
DaytonIllini is offline
Closed Thread


« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Forum Jump