Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Bruce Weber's ad in the News-Gazette

Closed Thread

Old Apr 8, 2012, 05:58 PM   #26
drumanimal
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniAmy View Post
How about playing Lon Kruger twice a year? Good luck with that too?
Oh yeah, wow!! Forgot about that as well. That's interesting. :laugh:
Old Apr 8, 2012, 06:01 PM   #27
FinalFour88
That's awesome. Good luck, BW!
Old Apr 8, 2012, 06:04 PM   #28
dgcrow
Classy farewll by Coach Weber. I agree with the firing, but wishing him nothing but the best.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 06:16 PM   #29
uiba99
Tiny Illini
Class act, as always. I shall hope that KSU does well, as I believe that good people should have good things happen to them.

"The danger is all around us now. Hatred is rising, yet all sides feel more virtuous. We’re asleep to the threat. We can have the most sophisticated Constitution, a brilliant system of checks and balances and a Bill of Rights to safeguard against the tyranny of the majority — yet none of it can stand against the power of hatred."
Fr. John I. Jenkins, President, University of Notre Dame
Old Apr 8, 2012, 06:26 PM   #30
wpr
Thanks coach. It was classy.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 06:27 PM   #31
Harry Blackwell
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by drumanimal View Post
Oh yeah, wow!! Forgot about that as well. That's interesting. :laugh:
Thank you Bruce.
I'm sure the fresh start will result in strong success.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 06:34 PM   #32
AzIlliniFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLINISTU View Post
I've been very ctitical of BW. This was an excellent move of class and respect towards Illinois. I feel a great deal of closure from this. I'm done with my jabs at BW and this should help us all, including Bruce, move forward. Thanks Bruce and good luck to you.
I'm glad that you feel this way. I hope some others on this site take the same approach.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 06:41 PM   #33
IlliniFan1988
Banned
Not surprised by this at all. Bruce has always been a class act. A shame things had to change, but good things can and do come to an end, and his tenure here was no exception to that. Best of luck in your new gig Bruce!!
Old Apr 8, 2012, 06:42 PM   #34
AzIlliniFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARPET View Post
I think they both are on the sidelines looking in.
Ha! That's correct. I didn't realize the brothers were banned as well. Good move by Dan. They both took their arguments/responses well beyond any semblance of decorum. I would have liked to see OF's response to BW's ad though.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 06:54 PM   #35
IlliniKat91
I've always liked Bruce as a person, even when I felt we should have moved on from him as a coach. I certainly appreciate this gesture. Truly classy.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 07:37 PM   #36
GeorgiaIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCTORNADO View Post
Could of done without the K State reference and also the purple/orange color theme. Thanking Illini nation was fine, but let's move on.
Concur. He could have done it without any of the imagery, and just said thanks.

I'll be happy for him if it goes well at KSU, but I think he'll have to find the right group of players, and it won't happen often enough.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 08:07 PM   #37
IlliniLaw05
Whoever designed and approved the ad should have stayed away from the bubble background. Just sayin'.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 08:24 PM   #38
Dan
Admin
Not a full page ad, despite what BTN's Brent Yarina stated (who strangely copied the image that I resized/resampled and put on the home page of IllinoisLoyalty for his story.)

Quote:
One fourth page “@IllinoisLoyalty: @patrick_wade what is the size of that ad?” http://pic.twitter.com/4lpZUptM

http://twitter.com/habeebhabeeb
Old Apr 8, 2012, 08:49 PM   #39
wpr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Not a full page ad, despite what BTN's Brent Yarina stated (who strangely copied the image that I resized/resampled and put on the home page of IllinoisLoyalty for his story.)
you can see it is not a full page ad. part of the word "house" and the "15" are clearly visible along with parts of other words/numbers.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 08:54 PM   #40
TCTORNADO
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniLaw05 View Post
Whoever designed and approved the ad should have stayed away from the bubble background. Just sayin'.
Bubble??
Old Apr 8, 2012, 08:56 PM   #41
leyeni
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgcrow View Post
Classy farewll by Coach Weber. I agree with the firing, but wishing him nothing but the best.
Couldn't agree more. BW was a great teacher and discipline of the game. The results weren't what Illini Nation wanted but at least we aren't on the lost with IU and the delinquents in the grade department!
Old Apr 8, 2012, 09:02 PM   #42
RiverCity1
good lord folks, critiquing the add.....really. Has any other coach done this? Self...Kruger...? Very classy for how fans bashed him and many continue to do so.

I hope Weber, the 'good guy', finishes first!
Old Apr 8, 2012, 09:06 PM   #43
illini80
Quote:
Originally Posted by uiba99 View Post
Class act, as always. I shall hope that KSU does well, as I believe that good people should have good things happen to them.
Perfectly stated.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 10:27 PM   #44
VTIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniRon View Post
Very nice ad by Bruce Weber. I'm interested in the reaction of Orange Fever to this ad.
Why?
Old Apr 8, 2012, 11:50 PM   #45
Prairie Spirit
Banned
A Contrarian Prairian Point of View

In the face of the overwhelming praise for this ad from Bruce Weber, I will offer one contrarian viewpoint: First, what WOULD be classy would be for "IlliniNation" to buy an ad, hang a banner, run a big billboard - something - that says "Welcome Coach Groce!" (and the same for the new football coach and women's basketball coach as well, if so inclined). Second, the choice of the word "memorable" is interesting; it is ambiguous. His time here was memorable, that's a fact, but not all that is memorable is something one WANTS to remember. Third, it is really, really, really past time for Bruce Weber to GO, really, really, really GO. Leave. It's starting to have some of the creepy qualities of stalking - the interviews, the ad, the "I'm gonna be at Jarlings and I'll be saying goodbye again and again." Welcome, John Groce! Goodbye Bruce Weber. And by the way, it is "Coach Weber" to KSU. It is Coach Groce to the Illini!
Old Apr 9, 2012, 12:27 AM   #46
ILLinhere
Great move by Bruce. I'm very happy he was a representative of the university even though the results never got to what we come to expect. As much as some people may hate it, Bruce does have connections to Illinois and will continue to be present just to stay visible to recruits. I'm sure there will be all sorts of outrage when he comes to the bball banquet but I'm personally happy that he cares that much about the kids he coached for years. I'm excited for the Groce era but will be keeping my eye on Weber and his new endeavor and wish him nothing but the best.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 02:04 AM   #47
AzIlliniFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Spirit View Post
In the face of the overwhelming praise for this ad from Bruce Weber, I will offer one contrarian viewpoint: First, what WOULD be classy would be for "IlliniNation" to buy an ad, hang a banner, run a big billboard - something - that says "Welcome Coach Groce!" (and the same for the new football coach and women's basketball coach as well, if so inclined). Second, the choice of the word "memorable" is interesting; it is ambiguous. His time here was memorable, that's a fact, but not all that is memorable is something one WANTS to remember. Third, it is really, really, really past time for Bruce Weber to GO, really, really, really GO. Leave. It's starting to have some of the creepy qualities of stalking - the interviews, the ad, the "I'm gonna be at Jarlings and I'll be saying goodbye again and again." Welcome, John Groce! Goodbye Bruce Weber. And by the way, it is "Coach Weber" to KSU. It is Coach Groce to the Illini!
You act as if the Illini fanbase paid for this ad. While I don't know either way, I'd bet this was 100% out of BW's own pocket. Therein lies our appreciation. It wasn't necessary. But I believe his motives are sincere and there's no reason to denigrate his public show of gratitude towards those who stood by him and the program during his tenure. If you want to spearhead a campaign to buy a Welcome JG ad, I'd donate. But I think one has absolutely nothing to do with the otheer.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 07:14 AM   #48
bootsy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Spirit View Post
I 100% agree. I'm tired of Weber and glad he's gone. I supported him as much as I could while coach at Illinois but be gone already. It's like dude won't just leave and the 'GO CATS' thing. Stop. No one cares about the Cats except KSU fans. I don't care for that at all. Bruce Weber is extremely annoying to me and this ad makes it more so.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 08:24 AM   #49
Prairie Spirit
Banned
Weber World

I think the fact that Bruce Weber won’t leave, will apparently continue to leave little “notes” for us, show up at various places and events in C-U, continue to refer to himself as “coach Weber” to Illinois fans, and be otherwise drawing attention to himself endlessly is just further example of his relentless stubbornness, passive-aggressive personality and inflated sense of self. We can now see that he will never go away. It is creepy. Show me any other coaches anywhere who act like he has acted – the crying family along with him crying at his “last” press conference, having some of the team at that same press conference (why have team members there? It is just wrong and creepy, yet so “Weber”), the ongoing insertion of self into things Illinois and C-U well after being fired and hired elsewhere. He is tainting what should be a happy, hopeful time and he knows it; he cannot help himself. He has to insert himself. He has to control. He does not care that his insistent need to control is destructive, just as he did not care that it was destructive on the Illinois court for so many years. The fact that his ongoing need to control and draw attention to himself brings out vehement and adamant polarized attitudes about HIM is evidence of a personality problem. I’m on “one side” about him and most others, not all but most, here are on a different “side” about him. The “other side” finds him good, great even, classy, good guy, more than a few even say he was/is a great coach, smart, that problems were the players’ fault, that he had players insufficient to his coaching greatness, etc. etc. etc. I have a very different opinion of him. I was very glad he was fired and thought it was LONG overdue. Now, however, it is clear that Bruce Weber’s personality and his needs – and he is VERY needy – will suck the air and light and joy out of the immediate future (and perhaps much longer) as well as the past few years. A crying press conference, using the team members as backdrop for that drama, having his crying family as backdrop for that drama, the Jarlings appearance – announced by him, the announcement of the orange ties auction, the self-important interviews that revise history according to Bruce, the ad, the juxtaposition and equivalence of KSU’s colors and Illinois colors in an ad ostensibly to “Illinination” - sending the message that both are now his and are equal under him, the banquet to come, likely more interviews around that, and on and on. He is poisoning the well because he has to. That he has plenty of partners here is amazing, but that kind of personality is quite adept at amassing a “fan club” around their neediness and self-involvement. I really feel for Mike Thomas and John Groce. This is not a normal coaching change, this is not a normal transition and this is not a normal series of events. Welcome to Weber World where his cult here is more than happy to cry and cheer for him ad nauseum, ad infinitum. Where there are those who are so willing to revise history in his favor (Jani Lane? Jani Lynn?) as to say his record was better than Bill Self's would have been - a real sleight of hand to compare the actual versus the hypothetical, as if factual. This is all pretty pointless because it is completely apparent that Weber will be with us, he will ensure that he will be with us, and his adoring fan club will guarantee that we all view Weber World through glasses manufactured and sold by him and them. By the way,where are the interviews with Wayne McClain? Will he be helping Bruce recruit for KSU in Peoria? And if Bruce is so great, why aren't there associate coaches clamoring to work with him at KSU? Surely Izzo can muscle some up and comers to go work with his BFF Bruce and stick it to Illinois, eh?
Old Apr 9, 2012, 08:39 AM   #50
Prairie Spirit
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzIlliniFan View Post
You act as if the Illini fanbase paid for this ad. While I don't know either way, I'd bet this was 100% out of BW's own pocket. Therein lies our appreciation. It wasn't necessary. But I believe his motives are sincere and there's no reason to denigrate his public show of gratitude towards those who stood by him and the program during his tenure. If you want to spearhead a campaign to buy a Welcome JG ad, I'd donate. But I think one has absolutely nothing to do with the otheer.
No,I don't "act as if the Illini fanbase paid for this ad." That might be understandable. No, I am sure that Weber paid for this ad. You "bet this was 100% out of BW's own pocket. Therein lies our appreciation...." OMG, this is fresh astonishment! A man who is a MULTI-MILLIIONAIRE thanks to Illinois (fans, taxpayers, university) pays for a self-referential ad and you actually refer to it as "our of BW's own pocket" as if that is a noble thing???!!! OMG.
Now, if Bruce returned that buyout or even some portion of it - the MILLIIONS unearned and undeserved - to, say, scholarships or just to the general fund - THAT would be something worthy of note. But an ad - about HIM and even making his new job at KSU and the Illini seem somehow, bizarrely equivalent? No, that's just Weber loving Weber and enjoining YOU to love Weber, too, 'cause Weber must have all your love, your appreciation, your accolades, your excuses and oh yeah, hand over all your money, too, because that will really show him how much you love him. Nope, it's just creepy and wrong. But you go ahead and enjoy that WeberWorld Club and the membership ads. He just used some Illinois money (unearned and undeserved, saying again) to say "Go Cats" in a Champaign-Urbana paper and you think that's fine. Nope, that's fine FOR WEBER (and maybe the paper's revenues and I DO support helping newspapers). Return the money, Weber; therein would lie the appreciation.
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »