Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > General Sports Talk

2012-13 NFL Thread

Old Sep 5, 2012, 03:26 PM   #1
DrewD007
Hoomanwanui got picked up by the Pats...

Twenty-Two Illini on NFL Opening Day Rosters
DrewD007 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2012, 06:47 PM   #2
illinilarry
Gotta love it- David Diehl just announced his alma mater as "The University of Chief Illiniwek" and had Josh Brent announce Illinois on the defensive side- can't hurt recruiting with prime time exposure like that.
illinilarry is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2012, 06:49 PM   #3
Botb9
Realist
David's done ever since he made it to the NFL. Awesome to see it.

Old Sep 5, 2012, 06:51 PM   #4
uofi09
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinilarry View Post
Gotta love it- David Diehl just announced his alma mater as "The University of Chief Illiniwek" and had Josh Brent announce Illinois on the defensive side- can't hurt recruiting with prime time exposure like that.
too bad Steve Weatherford doesn't get to say his name. lol
uofi09 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2012, 09:25 PM   #5
bigtiny
Do we know where that ranks in the Big 10?
bigtiny is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2012, 05:36 AM   #6
IlliniRunIn07
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinilarry View Post
Yep I always love seeing that. I do wonder if those outside B1G territory know what he's talking about though. I'll assume yes. And if not, who cares.

Can we talk about fantasy in this thread? I know it's only one game, but Romo is responsible for me being king of my league for at least the next couple days. Last night's first half was boring. Not just the lack of scoring, but the offenses just seemed nervous and discombobulated. I fell asleep for a majority of the second half, but I woke up and saw Romo had a very decent night.

I thought the replacement refs were just fine other than two things. One was the missed PI call on Cruz in the endzone after the INT. The other play was towards the end of the first half (or maybe beginning of second) where one of the refs through a flag (for 12 men on the field) and the refs talked about it for a good two minutes only to take the flag away. Ultimately they get big points for making the right call, but they did look a little foolish while trying to sort things out. I still give them a B+ for last night.

After one game, I'm loving that football season is back.
IlliniRunIn07 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2012, 01:55 PM   #7
256ILLINI
Banned
Rams named 4 captains today and Brit Miller, special teamer/fullback, is one of them. Pretty cool, Brit's a good guy (funny guy,too)
256ILLINI is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2012, 12:28 PM   #8
KBLEE
Tez just blocked a punt that ended up a New Orleans TD.
KBLEE is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2012, 04:19 PM   #9
trevdv
Akers with a 63-yard FG to tie the record! Holy cow...
trevdv is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 08:03 PM   #10
carmelillini
Fire Lovie Smith!
carmelillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 08:48 PM   #11
Wokker
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmelillini View Post
Fire Lovie Smith!
Nah he'll do just enough to sneak by another year (first round playoff loss)
Wokker is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 08:53 PM   #12
IntenselyOrange
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmelillini View Post
Fire Lovie Smith!
Draft some O-linemen....and I guess I need to specify that they should not be injured.
IntenselyOrange is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 09:35 PM   #13
Wokker
Gonna be a long week to shake off this pounding the Bears just got against Green Bay.

I think they'll be a playoff team but Cutler and the O-line looked atrocious tonight.
Wokker is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 05:12 AM   #14
AHSIllini32
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wokker View Post
Gonna be a long week to shake off this pounding the Bears just got against Green Bay.

I think they'll be a playoff team but Cutler and the O-line looked atrocious tonight.
The OL was awful last night and losing Forte around halftime didn't help. OTOH, the D gave up just 16 points to GB with one of those TD's coming of a short-field. If I'm in GB I'm starting to get a little worried about the offense. Rodgers had VERY pedestrian numbers and has going back a few games into last season. The fake FG turned the game around.
AHSIllini32 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 05:55 AM   #15
IntenselyOrange
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHSIllini32 View Post
The OL was awful last night and losing Forte around halftime didn't help. OTOH, the D gave up just 16 points to GB with one of those TD's coming of a short-field. If I'm in GB I'm starting to get a little worried about the offense. Rodgers had VERY pedestrian numbers and has going back a few games into last season. The fake FG turned the game around.
Maybe so. But Cedric Benson...CEDRIC BENSON....was able to move the ball on the Bears. I cannot give the D more than a C when they do that. I mean, it's Cedric Benson.

And that fake FG was horrific. Tillman should have been cut on the spot. Or at least make him give back his game check.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 06:24 AM   #16
AHSIllini32
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntenselyOrange View Post
Maybe so. But Cedric Benson...CEDRIC BENSON....was able to move the ball on the Bears. I cannot give the D more than a C when they do that. I mean, it's Cedric Benson.

And that fake FG was horrific. Tillman should have been cut on the spot. Or at least make him give back his game check.
@ least the bolded isn't an overreaction...sounds like something you'd hear on the scout board:laugh:

So everytime someone makes a mistake at their job they should give back their pay-check? In what world does that make sense.

And I don't care what Benson does. It's about keeping the other team off the scoreboard and to hold a team like the Packers to 16 points (with 7 coming off a 30 yard drive and another 3 coming off a bullsh*t 12 men on the field call) is a great effort. Even moreso when your all-pro MLB is playing just his 2nd game after zero pre-season action.

This was EASILY a B grade at the minimum.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 06:38 AM   #17
IntenselyOrange
Quote:
@ least the bolded isn't an overreaction...sounds like something you'd hear on the scout board:laugh:

So everytime someone makes a mistake at their job they should give back their pay-check? In what world does that make sense.

And I don't care what Benson does. It's about keeping the other team off the scoreboard and to hold a team like the Packers to 16 points (with 7 coming off a 30 yard drive and another 3 coming off a bullsh*t 12 men on the field call) is a great effort. Even moreso when your all-pro MLB is playing just his 2nd game after zero pre-season action.

This was EASILY a B grade at the minimum.

Good grief, it was a joke. Do you have any sense of humor at all?
Old Sep 14, 2012, 06:52 AM   #18
dansaint
We should really think about changing Jay Cutler's name to Sybil...or maybe Rex Grossman Jr.

Cutler is one of the most inconsistant QB's i've seen in ages...and the most easiest flustered. When things start going back...it's like he ignores his coaches and says "F**k it...I'm going deep"

And like Grossman....$1 Million Arm......10 cent decision making at times. It's frustrating. Maybe it wasn't all Mike Martz's fault after all (although I am glad he's gone).

This is just not the loss making me say this....this has always been Jay's M.O. ...when things fall apart...he falls apart.
dansaint is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 06:53 AM   #19
AHSIllini32
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntenselyOrange View Post
Good grief, it was a joke. Do you have any sense of humor at all?
I mean it is really easy to pick up on sarcasm when someone makes a post on a message board, ya know, since the tone of their voice, facial expressions, etc. are all apparent.

I apologize for not "picking up on" your sarcasm...but perhaps add a :laugh: or next time for me?

Regardless, I'll take that effort from the D every damn day.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 06:55 AM   #20
AHSIllini32
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansaint View Post
We should really think about changing Jay Cutler's name to Sybil...or maybe Rex Grossman Jr.

Cutler is one of the most inconsistant QB's i've seen in ages...and the most easiest flustered. When things start going back...it's like he ignores his coaches and says "F**k it...I'm going deep"

And like Grossman....$1 Million Arm......10 cent decision making at times. It's frustrating. Maybe it wasn't all Mike Martz's fault after all (although I am glad he's gone).

This is just not the loss making me say this....this has always been Jay's M.O. ...when things fall apart...he falls apart.
Oh boy...:rolleyes:

I think Jay was hit something like 15 times last night and sacked 7 times...how cool did you want him to be? And Cutler is 1 million times the QB that Grossman could ever be. Bad game, no doubt. But it's tough to throw when your LT would rather laugh than try and block Matthews.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 07:05 AM   #21
dansaint
Quote:

I think Jay was hit something like 15 times last night and sacked 7 times...how cool did you want him to be? And Cutler is 1 million times the QB that Grossman could ever be. Bad game, no doubt. But it's tough to throw when your LT would rather laugh than try and block Matthews.
I said...AT TIMES...he has Rex Grossman syndrom. I totally agree that Cutler is better than Grossman but even Jay's most adamant supporters will agree he has those times where it's like he doesn't give a darn what his coaches say and those times usually effect the offense in a negative light and force the defense to come back on the field sooner than you'd like.

And yes...the poreous offensive line has something to do with it...but I also think it's just Jay being Jay. (The dropped passes probably got to Jay as well...but no excuse. You're supposed to be the LEADER of that offense...you can't let your emotions "show up" your coaches or your teammates)
Old Sep 14, 2012, 10:06 AM   #22
pizzaman
Quote:

As a Packer fan, I'm happy. The Pack looked putrid last week in their loss to SF. As for Cutler, the guy got hammered endlessly. The Bears could not block Clay Mathews and after Forte was hurt they had no real ground game either. Until the Pack pulled off the fake field goal it was a tossup game.

Early in the season, these two teams are pretty close IMO. Both good but both flawed in some areas.
pizzaman is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 10:15 AM   #23
dansaint
I'm just getting sick of Cutler's childish behavior. He's supposed to be a leader and here he is bumping his offensive lineman. Yes, Webb had a putrid game...but you DO NOT show up your own teammate on the field. If anything...you do it on the sideline or in the locker room...but NEVER on the field.

Also Cutler has YET to take any responsibility for his play. A lot of those sacks are on Cutler for just sitting in the pocket...not moving or not just throwing the ball away. Better to take the down than the loss on a play. No accountability.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:00 AM   #24
AHSIllini32
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansaint View Post
I'm just getting sick of Cutler's childish behavior. He's supposed to be a leader and here he is bumping his offensive lineman. Yes, Webb had a putrid game...but you DO NOT show up your own teammate on the field. If anything...you do it on the sideline or in the locker room...but NEVER on the field.

Also Cutler has YET to take any responsibility for his play. A lot of those sacks are on Cutler for just sitting in the pocket...not moving or not just throwing the ball away. Better to take the down than the loss on a play. No accountability.
After the last 3 years of getting pummeled because of Webb (mostly) it doesn't surprise me that Cutler's emotions boiled over...mine would too! And it was on the sideline that it happened by the way.

And did you watch the game? You think Cutler stood in the pocket too long? You serious? Guy was running all over the place trying to extend plays. He saved 3-4 sacks just because of his individual effort along.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 09:25 PM   #25
fightingillini18
Texans Rookie Hazing Video

Don't know if this is the right place for this, but Whitney Mercilus plays a role in this "Rookie Hazing" video.
fightingillini18 is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | General Sports Chat | Next Thread »