Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Football

10/30 News & Notes

Old Oct 30, 2012, 07:27 AM   #1
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Illini's Beckman has ties to Ohio State's Meyer

Meyer said there's no problem coaching against a friend.

"Not difficult at all,'' he said. "I love Tim. Tim was on our staff. He's a great coach, great person. I like his dad even more than I like him. I call him the real coach Beckman, but it's good to go.''

Supinie
Quote:
Illini fans not seeing reason for hope

But that defense splintered at Arizona State on Sept. 8 and has never been the same. The offense has never found an identity and, perhaps most remarkable of all, the worst special teams in America continue to be an embarrassment.

Simply put, thereís not a single thing an Illini football fan can point to and say, "We do that really well."

Tupper
Quote:
Penn State prospects appear brighter than Illinois

Now comes Nov. 1, and in two months the outlook has done a flip-flop. Penn State has survived the initial challenge, ripping through Illinois 35-7 and standing 3-1 in the Big Ten with Purdue on the docket Saturday. Illinois has lost 10 straight conference games, with Ohio State a 24-point favorite to make it 11. The despair surrounding the UI has reached the point where it is fair to ask: Who has the best football prospects in the next three, five or seven years, Penn State or Illinois?

If it makes you stop and think, that reveals a lot by itself. If you favor Penn Stateís future, then youíre saying Illinois has fallen below the school receiving the most severe football sanctions since SMUís death penalty.

Tate
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 07:31 AM   #2
AHSIllini32
Banned
Tate's article about PSU and Illinois' future is completely misleading.

1) It shouldn't be a surprise that PSU is better than Illinois this year. They recruited much better than us from 2009-2012 and it's not like everyone transferred.

2) In no way do I think ANY Illini fans want PSU's future. Sure they're having more success now but their recruiting class has, what, 8 members right now? In another year or two we will be saying, "wow those sanctions are really killing PSU right now".
AHSIllini32 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 07:59 AM   #3
Hamer
It's just so easy to pile on right now. My concern is that all the negativity just snowballs and makes the job that much harder. I really hope they can win a couple of games to close out year and create a little light at the end of the tunnel
Hamer is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 09:24 AM   #4
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Introducing IlliniQuest

Illinois is currently on pace to be the worst Big Ten team since...

http://mgoblog.com/content/introducing-illiniquest
Old Oct 30, 2012, 09:42 AM   #5
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Check The Tape - Indiana

Bullet Point #1: Encourage Your Teammates
Bullet Point #2: When it's third and goal at the one, DON'T TAKE THE SNAP AT THE SIX.
Bullet Point #3: Be Disciplined Or You Won't Play
Bullet Point #4: When You Fumble A Punt By Diving For It, Maybe Don't Dive For More Punts

http://alioneye.com/2012/10/30/check...ape-indiana-2/
Old Oct 30, 2012, 09:53 AM   #6
quhawks12
Had I noticed bullet point 1 when I watched the game I would have turned it off. To have no energy on the opening kick-off is just...I can't...hell I don't know what to say...
quhawks12 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:02 AM   #7
derekholcomb
That alionye stuff is incredibly telling. Especially bullet point #1.
derekholcomb is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:24 AM   #8
Dan
Admin
Quote:
#illini QB Miles Osei said he's working exclusively at wide receiver now. With Scheelhaase healthy, coaches trying to get more depth at WR.

#illini co-OC Chris Beatty said TE Jon Davis has been nicked up but coaches have to do a better job getting him the ball.

http://twitter.com/WernerESPNCU
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:34 AM   #9
Dan
Admin
Quote:
#illini TE Jon Davis: "I wouldn't say just injuries. I had a big game against (WMU). I can't really say what caused the decline of that."

http://twitter.com/WernerESPNCU
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:37 AM   #10
Dan
Admin
^^^

Jon Davis continues the steady stream of player complaints since Week 2.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:39 AM   #11
illynifan34
That's a winner!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
^^^

Jon Davis continues the steady stream of player complaints since Week 2.
It would seem Jon Davis has a legitimate complaint, not sure why he doesn't get the ball more, either via pass (no protection for long developing routes) or via the run (piss poor run blocking).

Some screens with him at WR might work, with a CB having trouble taking him down initially, also quick passes to him would be nice. This is one of the things that I blame the coaches for.

In Mike I Trust

Aggressive

illynifan34 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:52 AM   #12
TooHot4Tots
How about Hawthorne at WR? What happened to that. He and Davis out there together would be great to see. I just have no faith in these Offensive Coordinators and have lost nearly all faith in Beckman. Player utilization is terrible!

Last edited by TooHot4Tots; Oct 30, 2012 at 11:06 AM.
TooHot4Tots is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:57 AM   #13
DaytonIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooHot4Tots View Post
How about Hawthorne at WR? What happened to that. He and Davis out there together would be great. I just have no faith in these Offensive Coordinators and have lost nearly all faith in Beckman. Player utilization is terrible!
What do you see in Hawthorne that would make you think he'd be a 'great' WR?

Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:06 AM   #14
TooHot4Tots
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonIllini View Post
What do you see in Hawthorne that would make you think he'd be a 'great' WR?
Never said anything about being great. Going by what the HEAD COACH said early on. He wouldnt play the 1st game at WR cause of an ankle. But we never seen it materialize. They consider him a playmaker, so why not give a defense that look in order to open something else up. Worth a try when they look this bad.

Changed that to great to see now to avoid confusion
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:11 AM   #15
UIGrad03
The staff is completely clueless how to use the players they have. I feel bad for the guys that committed to play for the UI football program. They deserve better.
UIGrad03 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:13 AM   #16
AHSIllini32
Banned
Quote:
Never said anything about being great. Going by what the HEAD COACH said early on. He wouldnt play the 1st game at WR cause of an ankle. But we never seen it materialize. They consider him a playmaker, so why not give a defense that look in order to open something else up. Worth a try when they look this bad.

Changed that to great to see now to avoid confusion
He's been hurt much longer than week 1 which has prevented us from moving him. That and we have zero depth at CB.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:13 AM   #17
AHSIllini32
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by UIGrad03 View Post
The staff is completely clueless how to use the players they have. I feel bad for the guys that committed to play for the UI football program. They deserve better.
Please explain...
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:14 AM   #18
I Hate Lemonier
To go along with worst Big 10 team ever pursuit we are courtesy of the Western Illinois Leathernecks not the worst team in Illinois. State of Illinois Sagarin:

Northwestern 38
Northern IL 39
Southern IL 94
Illinois St 112
Illinois 126
Western IL 199

The bad news is with SIU on the schedule next year there is no automatic wins. Miami of Ohio looks to be our best shot at a W heading into next year.
I Hate Lemonier is online now Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:16 AM   #19
AHSIllini32
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Hate Lemonier View Post
To go along with worst Big 10 team ever pursuit we are courtesy of the Western Illinois Leathernecks not the worst team in Illinois. State of Illinois Sagarin:

Northwestern 38
Northern IL 39
Southern IL 94
Illinois St 112
Illinois 126
Western IL 199

The bad news is with SIU on the schedule next year there is no automatic wins. Miami of Ohio looks to be our best shot at a W heading into next year.
I don't care what the Sagarin ratings say, we wouldn't lose to SIU, ISU, or WIU 95% of the time and I don't believe next year to be one of those 5% years.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:17 AM   #20
TooHot4Tots
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHSIllini32 View Post
He's been hurt much longer than week 1 which has prevented us from moving him. That and we have zero depth at CB.
But he's okay to return kicks/punts now? Seems he's been injured more than not unfortunately during his time here.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:21 AM   #21
I Hate Lemonier
Quote:
I don't care what the Sagarin ratings say, we wouldn't lose to SIU, ISU, or WIU 95% of the time and I don't believe next year to be one of those 5% years.
Let's hope not, UIC in basketball was bad enough
I Hate Lemonier is online now Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:21 AM   #22
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Tim Beckman: Lot of familiar faces on Ohio State's offensive line from playing them at Toledo

Beckman: Young OL, thin WR group contributing to the Illini's offensive struggles.

Beckman praises Nathan Scheelhaase, says injury, other factors have kept him from playing his best.

Beckman on losing 22 pounds during the season: "I needed it."

http://twitter.com/ESPN_BigTen
Quote:
Beckman on OSU O - alot of familar faces on O-line when we played them last year, Stoneburner very talented TE, Braxton is special

Beckman on ILL O - young O-line, need to continue to improve, depth issue at WR, progressed last week, but need to continue progressing

Beckman on QB Scheelhaase - had spring football, then had injury, just hasn't been as healthy as you'd like him to be, great leader

http://twitter.com/B1Gfootball
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:30 AM   #23
AHSIllini32
Banned
Quote:
But he's okay to return kicks/punts now? Seems he's been injured more than not unfortunately during his time here.
Again, he's needed more at CB and at KR/PR than at WR right now. Plus, he may end up playing WR before long.

And, yes Hawthorne has had a multitude of nagging injuries throughout his career...but I'm not sure how that's pertinent to the discussion of why Beckman won't play him at WR.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:32 AM   #24
KJKobs
Quote:
How about Hawthorne at WR? What happened to that. He and Davis out there together would be great to see. I just have no faith in these Offensive Coordinators and have lost nearly all faith in Beckman. Player utilization is terrible!
I've counted a handful of times when Hawthorne had his hands on a potential INT but dropped the ball. What makes you think he wouldn't do the same if playing WR?

Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:34 AM   #25
TooHot4Tots
Quote:
Again, he's needed more at CB and at KR/PR than at WR right now. Plus, he may end up playing WR before long.

And, yes Hawthorne has had a multitude of nagging injuries throughout his career...but I'm not sure how that's pertinent to the discussion of why Beckman won't play him at WR.
You gave the injury excuse. And thats really just an excuse. If he can play CB and KR/PR then he is healthy enough to play WR especially when the coaches said this would happen. Hoping to hear more excuses.

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Football | Next Thread »