Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Football

Serious heat on Tim Beckman at Illinois

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old Nov 9, 2012, 07:30 AM   #1
Dan
Admin
Dan's Avatar
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 30,895
Quote:
Multiple sources tell us that there is growing pressure on the administration at Illinois to fire Tim Beckman after only one season. While we still view that as unlikely to happen, there are serious issues at Illinois. The Illini fired Ron Zook, who won back to back bowls for the first time in the history of the program. Beckman inherited a team full of returning talent and has guided them to a 2-7 record. Sources confirm there are serious staff issues with several coaching looking to leave.

http://247sports.com/Board/59457/Ser...inois-13837236
Dan is offline
Old Nov 9, 2012, 07:33 AM   #2
trevdv
trevdv's Avatar
Location: Champaign
Posts: 3,276
Wow, this really surprised me. Never thought an official statement from anywhere would say that Beckman might be fired. I would be even more disappointed in Mike Thomas if he fired TB after this season; give him at least another year.
trevdv is offline
Old Nov 9, 2012, 07:35 AM   #3
PaytonHighstep
Location: Downers Grove, IL
Posts: 905
this is when you will see recruiting take a hit... when media outlets start discussing the heat on a coach and multiple sources are giving out information, this is when kids get swayed to join a more stable situation.
PaytonHighstep is offline
Old Nov 9, 2012, 07:39 AM   #4
KBLEE
KBLEE's Avatar
Location: Montgomery, IL
Posts: 6,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevdv View Post
Wow, this really surprised me. Never thought an official statement from anywhere would say that Beckman might be fired. I would be even more disappointed in Mike Thomas if he fired TB after this season; give him at least another year.
What official statement? There are "multiple sources" reporting rumors. That's nowhere near an official statement, unless I'm missing something.
KBLEE is offline
Old Nov 9, 2012, 07:47 AM   #5
GeorgiaIllini
Posts: 2,110
Like last year, you have to figure out who you might hire before you fire the current guy. Unless there is some big upgrade willing and available, firing TB now is a bad idea.

And, realistically, who is going to want this job with its history in general (not a plumb job; you have to overcome most of its history) and with a record that says if you fail in year 1, you are out?

I think TB needs at least 2 more years, almost no matter the results - before you can go back to market. Now making staff changes - that makes sense. Maybe VK doesn't like UNC (not likely).

Or maybe VK comes back as HC??
GeorgiaIllini is offline
Old Nov 9, 2012, 07:53 AM   #6
quhawks12
Location: Hamilton County, IN
Posts: 4,450
I saw this last night but didn't have time to post. It is really surprising. And honestly this is really going to hurt. TB must have done something really bad behind the scenes to piss people off?
quhawks12 is offline
Old Nov 9, 2012, 07:54 AM   #7
OlivetNaz
OlivetNaz's Avatar
Location: East Central IL
Posts: 4,112
The only way this happens is if people are dead set on the likes of coaches who have already BEEN fired this year coming to coach Illinois. I'd much rather stick with Beckman and give him his 3-4 years to see if he can do the job.

Think about it - Zook had two straight classes of recruits that flamed out. Fire Beckman, and we probably lose most of the good players on this year's class. The talent level on the roster will be SO thin if that happens...I'd be surprised if even fired coaches want the job.

__________________

"If life were logical, men would ride side-saddle."
OlivetNaz is offline
Old Nov 9, 2012, 07:55 AM   #8
quhawks12
Location: Hamilton County, IN
Posts: 4,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaIllini View Post
And, realistically, who is going to want this job with its history in general (not a plumb job; you have to overcome most of its history) and with a record that says if you fail in year 1, you are out?
This would possibly devastate the program (not that we are in a great place now but recruiting would fall off the table). The one name that popped immediately into my head was Todd Monken. He might be the only guy in the country that would take the job since he has ties to the state of Illinois.
quhawks12 is offline
Old Nov 9, 2012, 07:57 AM   #9
OlivetNaz
OlivetNaz's Avatar
Location: East Central IL
Posts: 4,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by quhawks12 View Post
I saw this last night but didn't have time to post. It is really surprising. And honestly this is really going to hurt. TB must have done something really bad behind the scenes to piss people off?
Yeah. He didn't win. Apparently, finishing last year 0-6 was inspiring to some people who thought we should have a winning season THIS year.

__________________

"If life were logical, men would ride side-saddle."
OlivetNaz is offline
Old Nov 9, 2012, 08:01 AM   #10
twincityillini
twincityillini's Avatar
Location: Normal, IL
Posts: 811
I'd be shocked if Beckman is fired after one season. I can certainly see an overhaul of assistants, whether they leave on their own or are replaced by Beckman.
twincityillini is offline
Old Nov 9, 2012, 08:04 AM   #11
AHSIllini32
Banned
Posts: 8,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by quhawks12 View Post
I saw this last night but didn't have time to post. It is really surprising. And honestly this is really going to hurt. TB must have done something really bad behind the scenes to piss people off?
Let's cool it with talk like this. I'm betting these "sources" are the same ones we discussed a couple weeks ago.

There's been people who have been very close to the program for a while come out and say they have heard or seen nothing like what's been reported (those being Asmussen and Tate I believe).

I have serious doubts about the validity of that story.
AHSIllini32 is offline
Old Nov 9, 2012, 08:06 AM   #12
AHSIllini32
Banned
Posts: 8,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by quhawks12 View Post
This would possibly devastate the program (not that we are in a great place now but recruiting would fall off the table). The one name that popped immediately into my head was Todd Monken. He might be the only guy in the country that would take the job since he has ties to the state of Illinois.
I'm not even sure that he would take it considering he'd be leaving a team with a young up-and-coming QB that he recruited from Illinois and a pretty good situation to come here and possibly be fired after one year.

There's no way we fire Beckman, nor should we.
AHSIllini32 is offline
Old Nov 9, 2012, 08:07 AM   #13
illinidarrin
illinidarrin's Avatar
Location: from parts unknown
Posts: 2,530
If you get rid of beckman after 1 season, you will probably lose more of your top prospects. Maybe a few may leave anyways? I would just hate to start all over yet again after 1 season. All you are dong is pushing back the progress even further. I think you have to give him more time. It would look really bad if we fire at the end of the year, that would be admitting making a big mistake. Some of the other coaches on this staff are going to be gone though. I think beatty is gone at the end of the season. I think the DC may be gone as well.
illinidarrin is offline
Old Nov 9, 2012, 08:08 AM   #14
illinicb
illinicb's Avatar
Location: Northbrook
Posts: 8,327
I can't imagine this happening for financial reasons alone. I also can't imagine an AD firing the guy he just hired. From an ego perspective alone, that is unlikely.

As others have pointed out and as we discussed last year, who is an upgrade and what proven coach would take the job?

__________________
"I could care less" does not mean the same as "I couldn't care less". Suppose is not the same as supposed.
illinicb is online now
Old Nov 9, 2012, 08:09 AM   #15
AHSIllini32
Banned
Posts: 8,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinidarrin View Post
If you get rid of beckman after 1 season, you will probably lose more of your top prospects. Maybe a few may anyways? I would just hate to start all over yet again after 1 season. All you are dong is pushing back the progress even further. I think you have to give him more time. It would look really bad i we fire at the end of the year, that would be admitting making a big mistake. Some of the other coaches on this staff are going to be gone though. I think beatty is gone at the end of the season. I think the DC may be gone as well.
Not probably, you will absolutely lose this recruiting class. Then it's 3 full years of mediocre to bad recruiting. Think a new coach coming in with most of our defense leaving will fair better next year? Especially if he's installing new schemes?

Firing Beckman just makes zero sense. I don't see how anyone can think it's a good idea.

What makes you think Beatty's gone?
AHSIllini32 is offline
Old Nov 9, 2012, 08:11 AM   #16
quhawks12
Location: Hamilton County, IN
Posts: 4,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlivetNaz View Post
Yeah. He didn't win. Apparently, finishing last year 0-6 was inspiring to some people who thought we should have a winning season THIS year.
It's more than that. It has to be.

Here is a thought. Do you guys think Coach Groce has hurt Coach Beckman? Even though Groce has not played a game he seems to have really hit it off and is being considered a great hire before a single game is even played. He just has that personality. I wonder if that is hurting Beckman because he isn't as personable behind the scenes?
quhawks12 is offline
Old Nov 9, 2012, 08:11 AM   #17
quhawks12
Location: Hamilton County, IN
Posts: 4,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinicb View Post
As others have pointed out and as we discussed last year, who is an upgrade and what proven coach would take the job?
No one.
quhawks12 is offline
Old Nov 9, 2012, 08:12 AM   #18
quhawks12
Location: Hamilton County, IN
Posts: 4,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinidarrin View Post
I think beatty is gone at the end of the season. I think the DC may be gone as well.
I disagree. I think Beatty stays. I think a couple offensive position coaches may leave. And I actually think Banks stays as well after a tough start to the season.
quhawks12 is offline
Old Nov 9, 2012, 08:13 AM   #19
illynifan34
That's a winner!!
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 8,113
We should see some new assistants next year, and I think people currently on staff will leave on their own. Beckman will be staying though, unless like quhawks believes, he's done something besides lose.

__________________
www.afsp.org

In Mike I Trust

Aggressive

illynifan34 is online now
Old Nov 9, 2012, 08:13 AM   #20
quhawks12
Location: Hamilton County, IN
Posts: 4,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHSIllini32 View Post
I'm not even sure that he would take it considering he'd be leaving a team with a young up-and-coming QB that he recruited from Illinois and a pretty good situation to come here and possibly be fired after one year.

There's no way we fire Beckman, nor should we.
I agree we shouldn't fire TB. I think Monken would take it. He's been mentioned at UK and will be at a couple other openings. I can tell you this...Lunt will not stand in the way of him being a HC. Just ask Chuck Long.
quhawks12 is offline
Old Nov 9, 2012, 08:14 AM   #21
quhawks12
Location: Hamilton County, IN
Posts: 4,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by illynifan34 View Post
We should see some new assistants next year, and I think people currently on staff will leave on their own. Beckman will be staying though, unless like quhawks believes, he's done something besides lose.
I just have no clue what that could be??
quhawks12 is offline
Old Nov 9, 2012, 08:18 AM   #22
SCillini
Posts: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by quhawks12 View Post
This would possibly devastate the program (not that we are in a great place now but recruiting would fall off the table). The one name that popped immediately into my head was Todd Monken. He might be the only guy in the country that would take the job since he has ties to the state of Illinois.
It would be impossible to devastate this program anymore on the field, but you are correct about it hurting the decent recruiting class we have that's given verbals. More negative ammo for our recruiting competition.

Monken. Thats interesting. You might be right. He might be the ONLY guy that would walk into this disaster because of his roots.

Still can't see Beckman getting canned this soon.
SCillini is offline
Old Nov 9, 2012, 08:18 AM   #23
AHSIllini32
Banned
Posts: 8,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by quhawks12 View Post
It's more than that. It has to be.

Here is a thought. Do you guys think Coach Groce has hurt Coach Beckman? Even though Groce has not played a game he seems to have really hit it off and is being considered a great hire before a single game is even played. He just has that personality. I wonder if that is hurting Beckman because he isn't as personable behind the scenes?
No, because Beckman had all that buzz before the year started too remember? If Groce stumbles this year then he'll be getting ridiculed like Beckman too, unfairly as well.
AHSIllini32 is offline
Old Nov 9, 2012, 08:19 AM   #24
illinidarrin
illinidarrin's Avatar
Location: from parts unknown
Posts: 2,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHSIllini32 View Post
Not probably, you will absolutely lose this recruiting class. Then it's 3 full years of mediocre to bad recruiting. Think a new coach coming in with most of our defense leaving will fair better next year? Especially if he's installing new schemes?

Firing Beckman just makes zero sense. I don't see how anyone can think it's a good idea.

What makes you think Beatty's gone?
I'm hearing that People are not very happy with whats going on and i would have to think having 2 OC's is not something that either Gonzo or beatty likes. I think one of them goes and most likely it will be beatty. Gonzales has a relationship with Beckman, so i think he would be more loyal. Beatty has no ties and probably wants to do his own thing
illinidarrin is offline
Old Nov 9, 2012, 08:19 AM   #25
AHSIllini32
Banned
Posts: 8,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCillini View Post
It would be impossible to devastate this program anymore on the field, but you are correct about it hurting the decent recruiting class we have that's given verbals. More negative ammo for our recruiting competition.

Monken. Thats interesting. You might be right. He might be the ONLY guy that would walk into this disaster because of his roots.

Still can't see Beckman getting canned this soon.
Well your first statement isn't true. We could have lost all of our games.
AHSIllini32 is offline
Closed Thread


« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Football | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Forum Jump