Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

11/11 John Groce teleconference

Old Nov 11, 2012, 02:54 PM   #1
Dan
Admin

Rob McColley

Quote:
John Groce is very, very happy with the effort and unselfish play his team has given him; Game 2 Monday vs. St. Francis of Brooklyn. #dechr

Devin Langford is making strongest move to be the 9th player in Groce's #Illini rotation, but he hasn't won coach's trust just yet. #dechr

http://twitter.com/MarkTupper
Quote:
Groce: Had two really good days of practice heading into St. Francis game.

Groce: Watched film and guys played really hard and unselfish. Have to execute some things a little better.

Groce: Disappointed in execution of transition defense. Fastest of the four opponents; including two exhibitions.

Groce: Got beat off the dribble too much Friday night, had to help too much and gave up threes.

Groce: Eight guys played pretty well Friday night. Langford in his spot minutes did a good job. Hopes to build on that.

Groce: Still want to get up to 9 or 10 in rotation but that's up to the players.

Groce: St. Francis is an older team. Were 15-15 ast year with physical, nasty, tough guards.

Groce: Excited to see how team responds to St. Francis' toughness. Has enjoyed watching St. Francis on film.

http://twitter.com/MarcusJ_NG

Last edited by Dan; Nov 11, 2012 at 08:42 PM.
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 03:34 PM   #2
illini55
What a pleasure to have such a knowledgeable and articulate coach. Makes me prouder still to be an Illini!
illini55 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 06:18 PM   #3
mdonsbach
Is Groce a stat man or what!

Old Nov 11, 2012, 06:56 PM   #4
WizardBill
Illini optimist
This sounds like he was quite pleased at the effort vs. Colgate. This is a very good thing. I read negativity on here like everyone, but still in the Kool-Aide.

WizardBill is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 08:00 PM   #5
Groundhogday
St. Francis will be a step up from Colgate: ~200 Sagarin, on par with a bad Missouri Valley team (SIU last year). This game shouldn't be competitive, but we are getting to the level where a low-major upset is possible if the high major team doesn't come to play.

Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:12 PM   #6
ILHoosier
Groce sounds like he is going to be good. Good luck Illini!
ILHoosier is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:03 AM   #7
DG1985
Banned
I like that he talks about getting to ten. I know in the toughest games you'll not likely get there, but I'd like to see Shaw and Langford get some quality minutes against lower rate teams. I know they have to earn it, but once they do, those minutes this season I think pay dividends in the long run.
DG1985 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:25 AM   #8
Foo G
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by DG1985 View Post
I like that he talks about getting to ten. I know in the toughest games you'll not likely get there, but I'd like to see Shaw and Langford get some quality minutes against lower rate teams. I know they have to earn it, but once they do, those minutes this season I think pay dividends in the long run.
I don't see Shaw as that guy.
Again, his biggest contribution could come in late game situations when we are trailing and need a quick foul.
That seems to be one of his strengths.

Seriously, though, I think Latulip works his way into the 10th man position.
For a freshman walk-on, he is very effective when he gets into the game.
I think he is really good at watching from the bench and understanding how he can be effective.

Shaw is a much less effective version of McLovin.
The best thing he could do to develop is to shadow him and learn what it takes to thrive in that role.
Same thing with Ibby.
Foo G is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:25 AM   #9
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo G View Post
Seriously, though, I think Latulip works his way into the 10th man position.
For a freshman walk-on, he is very effective when he gets into the game.
I think he is really good at watching from the bench and understanding how he can be effective.
Interesting theory, and not completely implausible. Latulip provides something that we lack: a highly skilled guard. I'm not sure he can defend anyone at this level, but he will perhaps have a bit role. Similarly Ibby might see semi-regular action as an interior brute with 5 fouls to give.

Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:35 PM   #10
zoggle101
I think we play 9 every game, 10 in 95%, and 11 in 80%. 10 guys should be the norm and unfortunately I can't see Latulip playing more than 2mpg next year but his upside is huge. Not many guys have his b ball iq, shooting ability, and one that is lost on a lot of today's guys in endurance. Seriously, how wasn't this kid a state champion in the 1600 or even a cross country title.

SM is a beast that is 25 and will be counted on for his toughness. I'm not surprised Shaw is a little behind a grown man but if he works like he did in his minute than he'll get time this year building on that for a expanded role next season.
zoggle101 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:50 PM   #11
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoggle101 View Post
SM is a beast that is 25 and will be counted on for his toughness.
Despite what the student announcers were saying, he's only 23.
WesterveltVictoryCigar is online now Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 02:14 PM   #12
zoggle101
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesterveltVictoryCigar View Post
Despite what the student announcers were saying, he's only 23.
You know what they say about Americans? Some of the most gullible people in the world. I believe most second hand info from people you think should be reliable which is typical thus making me a pretty normal American. I need the names of those announcers so I can talk to them. Anyway SM Might not be on the Benard James/Derwin Kitchen level as far as age is concerned but you can tell he is a physically mature man even for 23.

Thanks West or I would have been dropping the age bomb all year on folks not knowing he wasn't that old.
zoggle101 is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »