Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illini in the RPI

Closed Thread

Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:21 AM   #1
Chris Yates
Recruiting Correspondent
I know it's VERY early and the RPI means essentially nothing at this point because nobody has played anybody else yet, but we're currently ranked eighth in the CBSSports RPI:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/rankings

As the season progresses, the RPI will take on much greater meaning, so I figure that it's worth having a thread on this subject. If you'd prefer to merge it with another thread, Dan, please have at it. I just couldn't find anywhere else to put this post.

Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:28 AM   #2
Holdemall
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Yates View Post
I know it's VERY early and the RPI means essentially nothing at this point because nobody has played anybody else yet, but we're currently ranked eighth in the CBSSports RPI:

As the season progresses, the RPI will take on much greater meaning, so I figure that it's worth having a thread on this subject. If you'd prefer to merge it with another thread, Dan, please have at it. I just couldn't find anywhere else to put this post.
Behind St. Peter's? FIRE GROCE FIRE THOMAS HIRE THEUS!!
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:34 AM   #3
WesterveltVictoryCigar
With all due respect, my suggestion to Dan is to banish all RPI talk until January at the earliest.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:39 AM   #4
Botb9
Realist
Is this because of our projected schedule? Seems awfully high considering our 2-game bunny hop schedule.

Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:25 AM   #5
Holdemall
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botb9 View Post
Is this because of our projected schedule? Seems awfully high considering our 2-game bunny hop schedule.
Most other teams have truly awful SOS and opp SOS. Colgate and STFU have both won a game and (in the case of Colgate) played some decent competition. RPI doesn't use any sort of projections, IIRC.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:59 AM   #6
zoggle101
Why? We should all be aware that Nebraska's win over a Valpo team that will win 23+ games and hopefully their conference along with UF decimating Wisconsin even without Casey Prather and Scottie WibekIn playing will help our RPI as soon as we play them if they don't factor that in before our game against he Badgers or CornHuskers. See I don't even know the exact way the RPI is measured. I know all it is just a simple algebra problem but do they factor in future opponents or just after you play them?

Last edited by zoggle101; Nov 16, 2012 at 12:02 PM.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:05 PM   #7
AzIlliniFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoggle101 View Post
Why? We should all be aware that Nebraska's win over a Valpo team that will win 23+ games and hopefully their conference along with UF decimating Wisconsin even without Casey Prather and Scottie WibekIn playing will help our RPI as soon as we play them if they don't factor that in before our game against he Badgers or CornHuskers. See I don't even know the exact way the RPI is measured. I know all it is just a simple algebra problem but do they factor in future opponents or just after you play them?
I believe they only use available stats, no projections whatsoever. How else does Illinois end up at #8 after two games? Not to mention Air Force and St Peters in the top 10. Think about it.

Last edited by AzIlliniFan; Nov 16, 2012 at 12:08 PM.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 01:47 PM   #8
rbachhuber
aka Flash Gordon, earthling
Location: Planet Earth, when not battling Ming the Merciless on Mongo (or sometimes Mars)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Yates View Post

This
Old Nov 16, 2012, 03:52 PM   #9
Holdemall
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoggle101 View Post
If it's a strict RPI, they don't. An RPI projection would, but that doesn't appear to be the case in this calculation, given some of the schools ahead of us.
The calculation is .25*Winningpct*.5*opponentsWP*.25*OpponentsopponentsWP. The NCAA gives a bonus for road wins and a deficit for home losses. I believe home wins are .6, road wins are 1.4 and the inverse for losses.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 03:58 PM   #10
katu06
2 seed here we come!
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:02 PM   #11
lstewart53x3
Quote:
Originally Posted by katu06 View Post
2 seed here we come!
Hahahaha!!! Those were fun times on the Illini board. Until we lost... And kept losing .
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:41 AM   #12
DaytonIllini
Now ranked 7th in the RPI

(Shout out to Westervelt!)

Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:12 AM   #13
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonIllini View Post
Now ranked 7th in the RPI

(Shout out to Westervelt!)
Thanks, man. :laugh:

We've dropped back to #54 in Kenpom, though.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:20 AM   #14
Calvin
So we're a solid 2 seed? I'll take it
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:14 AM   #15
ILLINISTU
Has anyone seen our projected SOS? Should be pretty high this year with the strength of the B1G. I figure B1G will be highest ranked conf.

Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:44 PM   #16
Illini70math
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin View Post
So we're a solid 2 seed? I'll take it
Don't count on it! The NCAA is going to screw us again and drop us to a 3 seed playing in Outer Mongolia. You just wait and see!

Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:50 AM   #17
hoops34
This is a lot higher than I was expecting, but then again the big-ten has some great teams this year!
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:55 AM   #18
DaytonIllini
Now ranked #6.

Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:18 AM   #19
kcib8130
WIU alum
yes, we are now a solid #2 seed, with Belmont, South Methodist, Air Force, and Santa Clara owning the #1 seeds! what a tournament this year!:rolleyes:

Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:29 AM   #20
Future Walk-On
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcib8130 View Post
yes, we are now a solid #2 seed, with Belmont, South Methodist, Air Force, and Santa Clara owning the #1 seeds! what a tournament this year!:rolleyes:
Would you (everyone) rather end the season now and seed straight from RPI and start tourney...

or enjoy the fun that is the season and play it out...
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:00 PM   #21
Botb9
Realist
The win against USC did much to boost our rankings across the board. We were in the 50s in KenPom and 40s in Sagarin before last night. Now 31 in Sagarin, 40 in KenPom, 6 in RPI.

A victory over Chaminade will lower that for the most part. A win over UNC? If it happens, expect to show up in the top 25 on Monday.

Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:42 PM   #22
IlliNYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by katu06 View Post
2 seed here we come!
The dreaded 2-15 game.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:43 PM   #23
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botb9 View Post
The win against USC did much to boost our rankings across the board. We were in the 50s in KenPom and 40s in Sagarin before last night. Now 31 in Sagarin, 40 in KenPom, 6 in RPI.
The margin of victory helped a lot as well.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:48 PM   #24
BananaShampoo
Captain 'Paign
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Walk-On View Post
Would you (everyone) rather end the season now and seed straight from RPI and start tourney...

or enjoy the fun that is the season and play it out...
That's an easy one. I'll take the 2 seed!

Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:44 PM   #25
katu06
Quote:
Originally Posted by BananaShampoo View Post
That's an easy one. I'll take the 2 seed!
That was kind of a silly question. I'll take the 2 seed. I don't care who the 15 would be... we deserve the 2
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »