Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Football

Camp Rantoul extended to 1.5 weeks in 2013

Old Apr 21, 2013, 06:06 PM   #1
Dan
Admin
August training camp this year will be 1.5 weeks in Champaign followed by 1.5 weeks at Camp Rantoul. There will be 2 scrimmages, 1 in Rantoul, 1 location yet to be determined.

Last year training camp began with 1 week at Rantoul followed by 2 weeks in Champaign.

Full August training camp details are typically released in late July.

Quote:
Beckman calls Camp Rantoul a "special" thing. Says they've extended it to 1 1/2 weeks. Will be 2nd half of fall practices

Part 1- Tim Beckman one-on-one #Illini. VIDEO- http://illinoishomepage.net/fulltext?nxd_id=483722

Beckman one-one-one Part 2 #Illini VIDEO- http://illinoishomepage.net/fulltext?nxd_id=483802

http://twitter.com/MattWettersten
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2013, 08:42 PM   #2
KansasIllini
Interesting to hear that they've decided to extend the stay in Rantoul now, especially after Coach Beckman being unsure that they would even go last year. Right now I'm sure there are more than a few players thinking "oh !"
KansasIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2013, 05:35 AM   #3
ChiefBird15
I think the extended time at Rantoul is a great thing. This is what the Illini faithful want and I think Becks will be doing a little more listening and be a little more receptive this yr to the wants of the elders. JMO.
ChiefBird15 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2013, 05:53 AM   #4
5knots
Quote:
Originally Posted by KansasIllini View Post
Interesting to hear that they've decided to extend the stay in Rantoul now, especially after Coach Beckman being unsure that they would even go last year. Right now I'm sure there are more than a few players thinking "oh !"
Our new coach was unsure of Rantoul because he had never been there and had no way of determining its value until he experienced it for himself. So he did a wise thing and schedule a brief stint there. He was extremely complimentary of the time there last year in interviews at the facility and after. It is no surprise they are spending a bit more time there at all based on every comment coach Beckman made during and after the Rantoul stay.
5knots is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2013, 10:49 AM   #5
DrewD007
What are everyone's thoughts on Rantoul? A buddy of mine hates it because he seems to think players then can't get used to the environment and facilities of Memorial Stadium. Says turns every home game into a road game because players aren't used to it. I think it's a dumb argument myself, just wanted to get other people's thoughts.
DrewD007 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2013, 11:12 AM   #6
quhawks12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewD007 View Post
What are everyone's thoughts on Rantoul? A buddy of mine hates it because he seems to think players then can't get used to the environment and facilities of Memorial Stadium. Says turns every home game into a road game because players aren't used to it. I think it's a dumb argument myself, just wanted to get other people's thoughts.
You're a smart guy.
quhawks12 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2013, 12:55 PM   #7
5knots
biggest plus as I see is no distractions. When on Campus..even when they stay at the Hotel during training camp there are easy distractions during what little down time the players have. I think it is no mistake that Rantoul is the last part of training camp rather than the beginning. I am sure the players would rather be in Champaign......where there are plenty of distractions.
5knots is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Football | Next Thread »