Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread

Closed Thread

Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:15 AM   #3901
RyanK
Diamond Stone:

Quote:
@Diamond_Stone33: I Will Be At The Wisconsin And Illinois Game Today.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:20 AM   #3902
TCTORNADO
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanK View Post
Diamond Stone:
He only lives about 75 miles from Madison campus.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:24 AM   #3903
cjcastan
Diamond was at the United Center game right?

Gotta Imagine Buzz and Bo are really hard after this kid too.

Hopefully we show him enough today to really make a good impression!

Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:31 AM   #3904
RyanK
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCTORNADO View Post
He only lives about 75 miles from Madison campus.
Yep. Kid is visiting everywhere.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:49 AM   #3905
TCTORNADO
Any updates on Brunson, Williams, Ash, Nixon, Matthews, Edwards, Morrow??
Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:19 AM   #3906
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Spotlight's on Jaylon Tate

Laid back and thoughtful in the off-the-court setting, Tate remembered moments during that season, before he knew he would be donning an Illinois uniform in 2013-14, when he wondered whether the Simeon jersey was right for him.

His transfer from De La Salle after his sophomore season brought on challenges, such as getting used to Public League play and taking a back seat to veteran Simeon players. Some of the college interest the 6-foot-1 Tate received during his first two high school seasons waned, and his national player ranking dropped off after he was ranked No. 77 in the country by Rivals.com as a sophomore.

"There were times I would have some bad games, I would wonder to myself, 'Did I make the right decision? Should I have played it safe and stayed where I was the man?'" Tate said. "But at the end of the day I had to fight through that and see how tough I was mentally. Now, things are starting to really work out. I'm showing everybody and myself the type of player I really am."

Colleen Kane
Old Jan 13, 2013, 03:20 AM   #3907
Bailey
My post was about a 2014 scholarship that many were banking on the premise that Shaw would transfer. Based on today's game, he's bound to earn some more PT going forward, presumably decreasing the chance of this (totally speculative) transfer.

I don't think Ibby is going anywhere. The idea of Shaw exploring other options made sense, but not rooted in any real truth (from what I had read). It's beginning to feel like talks of Lyle and Cliff might as well cease.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 06:23 AM   #3908
Illinifan76
I don't think there is any question that our chances with Lyle andAlexander are remote.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 06:35 AM   #3909
alexander58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinifan76 View Post
I don't think there is any question that our chances with Lyle andAlexander are remote.
Maybe. Who is to say whats going on in the mind of a 17 year old. Perhaps, they look at it as an opportunity to better a program.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 06:36 AM   #3910
Indicchief
Banned
On the internet this topic will never come out right. With that in mind ..........

Lyle and Alexander are elite basketball players. Their talent by itself should trump most, if not all, players we currently have. I am saying this more as a statement of fact than anything else.

Experience has a huge meaning under most circumstances. But when inconsistency creeps in experience really has no meaning. Its meaning reappears when players become consistent. Today our players are not consistent and pretty much all our current signed recruits and the ones we are looking at in 14/15 seem to be playing with consistency and at a relatively high level!!!

We need a PG we really do not have one. IMVVVHO, with all due respect, TA will not suffice. Even Tate, IMVVVHO, will not get us there. We NEED a PG. Perhaps even two.

Depending on where we want to be, we will need a huge influx of talent that we lack today (for this coach?).

So, if a Lyle and an Alexander decide to enroll at UoI, we will have to make room.

Granted that does not sound right. It does not feel right. But where we want to go that is perhaps the best game plan. That is how it will shake out to be. The question is can we make it a win-win for everyone. I am one to think it is possible. A touchy subject, but one that needs to be visited IF (big if) these two kids decide to attend UoI.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 07:19 AM   #3911
combes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
My post was about a 2014 scholarship that many were banking on the premise that Shaw would transfer. Based on today's game, he's bound to earn some more PT going forward, presumably decreasing the chance of this (totally speculative) transfer.

I don't think Ibby is going anywhere. The idea of Shaw exploring other options made sense, but not rooted in any real truth (from what I had read). It's beginning to feel like talks of Lyle and Cliff might as well cease.
Shaw getting in for 19 minutes in a foul plagued game and having minimal success is not going to change things. Imo. Not saying he's staying or leaving. Just don't think yesterday changes anything.

Last edited by combes; Jan 13, 2013 at 07:22 AM.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 09:55 AM   #3912
idoc13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indicchief View Post
On the internet this topic will never come out right. With that in mind ..........

Lyle and Alexander are elite basketball players. Their talent by itself should trump most, if not all, players we currently have. I am saying this more as a statement of fact than anything else.

Experience has a huge meaning under most circumstances. But when inconsistency creeps in experience really has no meaning. Its meaning reappears when players become consistent. Today our players are not consistent and pretty much all our current signed recruits and the ones we are looking at in 14/15 seem to be playing with consistency – and at a relatively high level!!!

We need a PG – we really do not have one. IMVVVHO, with all due respect, TA will not suffice. Even Tate, IMVVVHO, will not get us there. We NEED a PG. Perhaps even two.

Depending on where we want to be, we will need a huge influx of talent that we lack today (for this coach?).

So, if a Lyle and an Alexander decide to enroll at UoI, we will have to make room.

Granted that does not sound right. It does not feel right. But where we want to go that is perhaps the best game plan. That is how it will shake out to be. The question is can we make it a win-win for everyone. I am one to think it is possible. A touchy subject, but one that needs to be visited IF (big if) these two kids decide to attend UoI.
No question. If Cliff or Lyle want to come, you make room. End of story.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:46 PM   #3913
illini ri0t
Banned
Quote:

Experience has a huge meaning under most circumstances. But when inconsistency creeps in experience really has no meaning. Its meaning reappears when players become consistent. Today our players are not consistent and pretty much all our current signed recruits and the ones we are looking at in 14/15 seem to be playing with consistency and at a relatively high level!!!

We need a PG we really do not have one. IMVVVHO, with all due respect, TA will not suffice. Even Tate, IMVVVHO, will not get us there. We NEED a PG. Perhaps even two.

Why does everyone keep talking about Lyle likes he's a true PG?
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:53 PM   #3914
Indicchief
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by illini ri0t View Post
Why does everyone keep talking about Lyle likes he's a true PG?

1) Fair enough, substitute "Lyle" with a "true" (I have no idea what that is) PG
2) Somebody had posted his stats, specially his assists this season. That should be enough indicator that he can play that position
3) Groce seems to think he is a "true" PG. ???????? Comments? (Which is the sole reason I say Lyle = Pure PG)
4) He would be better than anyone we have at that position (IMVVVHO)
5) We have a need for a PG and are recruiting him from what we can understand. Is there any other PG that we are recruiting (that heavily?) that you know of?
Old Jan 13, 2013, 01:11 PM   #3915
HeartofaChampion
Quote:
1) Fair enough, substitute "Lyle" with a "true" (I have no idea what that is) PG
2) Somebody had posted his stats, specially his assists this season. That should be enough indicator that he can play that position
3) Groce seems to think he is a "true" PG. ???????? Comments? (Which is the sole reason I say Lyle = Pure PG)
5) We have a need for a PG and are recruiting him from what we can understand. Is there any other PG that we are recruiting (that heavily?) that you know of?
JG has said he likes scoring PGs, more like CGs who can create for themselves and for others. Main criteria: ability to drive and score, dish and kick out on O and play tough on-ball defense on D.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 01:33 PM   #3916
Bailey
Quote:
Originally Posted by idoc13 View Post
No question. If Cliff or Lyle want to come, you make room. End of story.
OK....elaborate on "make room" then. Do you wanna yank Ibby's scholarship? Force Shaw or Devin into transferring? Who gets creaned?
Old Jan 13, 2013, 01:40 PM   #3917
illini ri0t
Banned
Quote:
True PG. A guard that looks to facilitate his teammates first. Trey Burke, Michael Carter-Williams, Phil Pressey. Players that can break down the defense and create easy points for the team, by either facilitating others/driving the lane.

Don't get me wrong, Lyle is very talented; and so far a herelded scorer in the HS ranks. It seems to me he's wired more to score than facilitate. Thats one reason I think he will ultimately end up at Louisville. Pitino lets guys come in and score all they want. I feel Groce doesn't NEED his PG's to be scorers, he needs them to be able to break down defenses.

I feel very good about Tate, he will fit that mold and hopefully the guys coming in are scorers; so we won't have to worry about our PG needing to score a lot.

I DO agree we could use another true PG. TA has a long way to go to get there still. But other needs outweigh the PG position, in which I really hope we get Cliff. His raw talent is astounding, plus i think he could give us 2-3 years before he enters the draft.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 01:51 PM   #3918
pizzaman
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdonsbach View Post
Okay early morning question turning in my head. After a player has commited to us would it be common for our coaching staff to go to our commit's coach and ask them to play a certain way or to focus on certain aspects of their game. You know to try and prepare them for what they would expect from them in college?
I knew a couple of kids recruited to Wisconsin (one played, one flunked out.) The local HS head coach was a Badger alum and I know him from the community as well as being a member of the same church I attend. One of the HS assistant coaches is one of my tennis partners thus I know my information is accurate.

After signing, the Badger recruiter did not try to tell the HS coach how to play the recruit or what position to play but did tell the HS coach specific parts of the game areas to emphasize with the recruit. The Badger recruiter also stressed academics.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 01:51 PM   #3919
TCTORNADO
Quote:
Groce cannot comment on any recruit until he signs an LOI.
Lyle is nowhere near a true PG regardless of what some of the services say.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 01:59 PM   #3920
BrooksTaylorFan
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by illini ri0t View Post
True PG. A guard that looks to facilitate his teammates first. Trey Burke, Michael Carter-Williams, Phil Pressey. Players that can break down the defense and create easy points for the team, by either facilitating others/driving the lane.

Don't get me wrong, Lyle is very talented; and so far a herelded scorer in the HS ranks. It seems to me he's wired more to score than facilitate. Thats one reason I think he will ultimately end up at Louisville. Pitino lets guys come in and score all they want. I feel Groce doesn't NEED his PG's to be scorers, he needs them to be able to break down defenses.

I feel very good about Tate, he will fit that mold and hopefully the guys coming in are scorers; so we won't have to worry about our PG needing to score a lot.

I DO agree we could use another true PG. TA has a long way to go to get there still. But other needs outweigh the PG position, in which I really hope we get Cliff. His raw talent is astounding, plus i think he could give us 2-3 years before he enters the draft.
DJ Cooper says hello.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 02:02 PM   #3921
HoopCity
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey View Post

Can some one please explain the ILLINI policy on scholarships. Can a scholarship given by a previous coach be revoked by then new coach ?

When or can scholarships be revoked ??

Old Jan 13, 2013, 02:03 PM   #3922
mdonsbach
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooksTaylorFan View Post
DJ Cooper says hello.
Who is also on pace to be 4th all time in assists. I think Groce likes a little of both if I do say so myself.

Old Jan 13, 2013, 02:11 PM   #3923
illini ri0t
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooksTaylorFan View Post
DJ Cooper says hello.
You're using a Mid-Major program as an example? Mid-Majors usually have one big time player that has the mentality/athleticism to score. That just happened to be Coop. I think Illinois is capable to recruit more scorers than just a PG. If i recall, Coop facilitates the team as well. All i'm saying is Groce needs a Burke, Carter-Williams, Pressey type guy who can score, but is more wired to facilitate/break down D's.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 02:18 PM   #3924
TCTORNADO
Does anybody know if Terry Rozier, former Louisville signee, is a "free agent" as a result of his going to Hargrave for a year. I know we were finalists (top 4) from the previous staff.
Would his going to prep school for 5th year make him eligible immediately this fall '013?
Thoughts??
Old Jan 13, 2013, 03:15 PM   #3925
IlliniFreak7
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCTORNADO View Post
Does anybody know if Terry Rozier, former Louisville signee, is a "free agent" as a result of his going to Hargrave for a year. I know we were finalists (top 4) from the previous staff.
Would his going to prep school for 5th year make him eligible immediately this fall '013?
Thoughts??
Pretty sure he's still going to Louisville after this year, could be wrong tho
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »