Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread

Closed Thread

Old Jan 14, 2013, 08:29 PM   #4001
IlliniEX2011
Alum
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltygrapes View Post
I do know Nunn is going to bring it all the time, and he's a great athlete, so if you're sick of seeing DJ Richardson get beat off the dribble 8 times per game and sick of seeing him unable to go around anybody on offense, you'll like Kendrick Nunn. And he is a vocal leader and a spirited player.
I can't wait for him to inject some life into this team. When he and Tracy end up playing together they'll at least have a lot of energy.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 08:32 PM   #4002
IlliniFreak7
Banned
Each of the incoming players will add something to next years team. They may all be freshman and im not expecting much but they will at least provide us with depth at every position and should instill some toughness into the team
Old Jan 14, 2013, 08:45 PM   #4003
Groce SPOT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramer116 View Post
So, I have to admit. I thought they were being racist saying the "smaller white Station team." Oops.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 08:49 PM   #4004
IlliniSpine
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniFreak7 View Post
Each of the incoming players will add something to next years team. They may all be freshman and im not expecting much but they will at least provide us with depth at every position and should instill some toughness into the team
Again if we're relying on the freshman (although TA did as a FR.) to instill toughness, we will be in trouble
Old Jan 14, 2013, 08:53 PM   #4005
IlliniSpine
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniPunk View Post
Found this on ESPN's Recruiting Nations Tweets posted by Brad Winton @ JucoRecruiting:

Chad Frazier (6-4/2013/Gulf Coast St.) has offers from Gonzaga, Illinois, South Carolina, Alabama, Rhode Island, Texas A&M.

Sounds like a JUCO guard. Anyone have any info?

We could use another C. Frazier at the point

Hope this one can shoot as well as play D if he decides on the
Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:11 PM   #4006
IlliniFreak7
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniSpine View Post
Again if we're relying on the freshman (although TA did as a FR.) to instill toughness, we will be in trouble
I guess I meant it more in terms of practice and overall mentality of the team. When the whole team has a tougher attitude it tends to promote a better environment. Im definitely not expecting our toughness to come solely from freshmen
Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:14 PM   #4007
IlliniSpine
Banned
Quote:
I guess I meant it more in terms of practice and overall mentality of the team. When the whole team has a tougher attitude it tends to promote a better environment. Im definitely not expecting our toughness to come solely from freshmen
Gotcha. The practice environment would surely benefit. Will that translate to the court? Dunno. Hopefully they get the "freshman in headlights" look out early and demonstrate why they were ranked in the top 100 and why they were picked by Groce as tough individual players.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:23 PM   #4008
OrangeandBlue4eva
I think it will be interesting to see if Bertrand begins to start or play the 4. The reason I say that is what if the move is successful? I wonder if next year we would start a 4 guard lineup that included Abrams, Nunn/Hill, Rice, Bertrand. While that is a small lineup, definitely a group that could get after it and be aggressive. And even if that group doesn't start, I'm willing to bet we would see them on court together one time or another.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:32 PM   #4009
ChiCityHoops34
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILHoff View Post
He always reminded me of Augustine. Thought he was a pretty good player. I've never seen Colbert play, so I can't compare the two. Are you basing this on AAU play because Colbert hasn't played this season at all?
I guess it was a tough comparison to make since Colbert hasn't played, When i get a chance to watch Colbert in person as a senior ill come back and make a better comparison. Schilling has improved and we all knew he looked the part. You are seeing by the late offers from the big boys that he is starting to develop into that body.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:36 PM   #4010
HeartofaChampion
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeandBlue4eva View Post
I think it will be interesting to see if Bertrand begins to start or play the 4. The reason I say that is what if the move is successful? I wonder if next year we would start a 4 guard lineup that included Abrams, Nunn/Hill, Rice, Bertrand. While that is a small lineup, definitely a group that could get after it and be aggressive. And even if that group doesn't start, I'm willing to bet we would see them on court together one time or another.
I'm sure JG would prefer a true 4 at the 4 spot for defensive, rebounding and screening purposes. (For instance, we need a big body at the 4 to set the countless high ball screens we use in this offense.)

Having said that, if MyH and MS don't pan out at the 4 or if one or both transfer, this could make sense as a plan B. (I don't think Colbert will be physically ready to start at the 4 next year.) RR and JB are good rebounders for their size, and MaH especially could make the transition to starting wing as a frosh if he gets stronger in the weight room and can play D at this level immediately.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:51 PM   #4011
IlliniEX2011
Alum
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartofaChampion View Post
I'm sure JG would prefer a true 4 at the 4 spot for defensive, rebounding and screening purposes. (For instance, we need a big body at the 4 to set the countless high ball screens we use in this offense.)

Having said that, if MyH and MS don't pan out at the 4 or if one or both transfer, this could make sense as a plan B. (I don't think Colbert will be physically ready to start at the 4 next year.) RR and JB are good rebounders for their size, and MaH especially could make the transition to starting wing as a frosh if he gets stronger in the weight room and can play D at this level immediately.
I agree it's not ideal, but there is definitely a chance. Hopefully by next year Shaw or Henry can at least D up and rebound at the 4. As for this year though I do think JB should at least start the game at the 4 because we have been so flat to start out games. I think to fix that you should throw your best 5 out there and hope someone gives you a spark, even if it means stretching JB to the 4.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:19 AM   #4012
UofIChE06
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeoriaIllini1 View Post
If you are to be a power player maybe so but i think Rodney Williams proved you can play and be tall and very thin. He is 6'7'' and 206. I think he could play for us anytime he wants to transfer! lol I hope Colbert is wirey strong and aggressive to the ball like Williams is.
Colbert vs RWill : ~2" taller and 30 lbs lighter. Not really close in terms of build. When people say Colbert is thin they mean it.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:34 AM   #4013
UofIChE06
Quote:
A 6-foot-9 combo forward with versatility to play inside or outside, White is the ideal face-up four man who can defend the perimeter at the next level, showing exactly that in slowing down one of the nation's most gifted young prospects.
From the article Kramer posted. Sounds like a JG prototypical 4. Too bad he will never play for UI. Talent wise Paul White is probably more gifted than Finke or KBD. The production has just been lacking for the last year or so. A lot of that was attributed to motor. It seems like in his SR yr something has finally clicked. He has been playing like the highly touted prospect that he was/is. I think a lot of it has to do with LJ Peak joining the team. He has changed the make up of the WY team drastically. When it is all said and done they may be favored over Simeon come postseason time.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:25 AM   #4014
MPFlyinIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by UofIChE06 View Post
From the article Kramer posted. Sounds like a JG prototypical 4. Too bad he will never play for UI. Talent wise Paul White is probably more gifted than Finke or KBD. The production has just been lacking for the last year or so. A lot of that was attributed to motor. It seems like in his SR yr something has finally clicked. He has been playing like the highly touted prospect that he was/is. I think a lot of it has to do with LJ Peak joining the team. He has changed the make up of the WY team drastically. When it is all said and done they may be favored over Simeon come postseason time.
White is only a junior
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:32 AM   #4015
UofIChE06
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPFlyinIllini View Post
White is only a junior
Yes... which is the class of 2014 which includes KBD and Finke. With him locked in like he has been with WY this year I think he would be above both of those guys. Unfortunately he wasn't locked in when Groce was looking for a commitment. Therefore Finke will be in the O&B and White will go elsewhere. Not trying to knock Finke but I just think White has a bit of that Evan Turner to him. He is a great ballhandler for his size. Over the last few weeks/month he has really put it all together finally and is realizing his potential. Remember he is currently 55th in 2014 and he was much higher before turning in a disappointing year.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:46 AM   #4016
illiniobserver22
Quote:
Colbert vs RWill : ~2" taller and 30 lbs lighter. Not really close in terms of build. When people say Colbert is thin they mean it.
Also 5 years apart.

Williams was listed at 6'5" 180 coming out of high school, ranked the #100 player in the nation on rivals.

There is no way of knowing what Colbert will look like in 5 years.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:58 AM   #4017
Kramer116
Quote:
You are saying Colbert is only 170 something lbs? Or did I read that wrong?

Or just emphasizing he is skinny?

ESPN, Rivals, Scout, have him weighing anywhere from 200 to 210.

"I do want to address something. I understand there was an article written about Illinois basketball being put in it's place. I'm going to tell you what place it's in. It's in a great place. That's what place it's in.... So if anyone wants to know what place Illinois college hoops is in right now, it's in a great place. Not a good place. A great place" - JFG
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:12 AM   #4018
PeoriaSteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniSpine View Post
TA will be a junior, Rice is a 4th year junior and Bertrand is a 5th year senior, so we aren't relying on freshman. If a freshman is good enough to come in at get a bunch of PT, then so be it. Nunn is a tough customer, so I see him getting PT like Bertrand is this year off the bench.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:13 AM   #4019
illiniobserver22
Speaking of Colbert, his season debut is set for Saturday.

http://www.nj.com/hssports/blog/boys...ght_teams.html
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:41 AM   #4020
UofIChE06
Quote:
Originally Posted by illiniobserver22 View Post
Also 5 years apart.

Williams was listed at 6'5" 180 coming out of high school, ranked the #100 player in the nation on rivals.

There is no way of knowing what Colbert will look like in 5 years.
I agree and think over his career Colbert will be good. The way I read it the poster was comparing Williams and Colbert now. I think Colbert is beyond Williams at the same points in their careers. If Colbert progresses like he should he will be good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramer116 View Post
You are saying Colbert is only 170 something lbs? Or did I read that wrong?

Or just emphasizing he is skinny?

ESPN, Rivals, Scout, have him weighing anywhere from 200 to 210.
I would say 170-175 is about right. There is no way he is 200 to 210. If you have seen Simeon recently I would say Colbert is comparable to Ed Morrow. Colbert has 2-3 inches on him but the same build. Morrow is currently listed at 170 so Colbert could be 180 but not much more. We all know how the recruiting sites inflate numbers. Just for comparison Devin Williams is listed as 220 by those sites and while comparable in height the two are not comparable in build at all.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:55 AM   #4021
TCTORNADO
As long as we're on the Williams/Colbert debate, Rodney's freshman figures on a mediocre 09-10 Minny team were:

11.9 MPG
4.3 PPG
1.6 RPG
not measurable on 3's
54.5% FT %
One heck of a dunking machine

If we get these kind of numbers out of Colbert, we can probably say met expectations...for some of us
P.S. Very similar to Mike Davis' freshman year.

Last edited by TCTORNADO; Jan 15, 2013 at 09:59 AM.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:00 AM   #4022
RyanK
Quote:

I would say 170-175 is about right. There is no way he is 200 to 210. If you have seen Simeon recently I would say Colbert is comparable to Ed Morrow. Colbert has 2-3 inches on him but the same build. Morrow is currently listed at 170 so Colbert could be 180 but not much more. We all know how the recruiting sites inflate numbers. Just for comparison Devin Williams is listed as 220 by those sites and while comparable in height the two are not comparable in build at all.

I think you're WAY off on Colbert's weight. A 6'9, 175 frame? Is that even possible? Heck, even Mike Davis was listed at 225.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:26 AM   #4023
BrooksTaylorFan
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanK View Post
I think you're WAY off on Colbert's weight. A 6'9, 175 frame? Is that even possible? Heck, even Mike Davis was listed at 225.
Everything I have heard is that he is around 200-210. Scout has him listed as 6'8" and 205.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:20 AM   #4024
Symmooth
Quote:
Don't forget Rice, he's a load and he isn't a freshman.
I have high hopes he gives us more muscle on the inside along with Mav.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:36 AM   #4025
orange julius
Quote:
I am more than happy with our bird in hand. White may be more gifted athletically than Finke, but not skillwise. Recent highlights show that Finke, besides being an outstanding shooter, can really pass the basketball.
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »