Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:40 PM   #4076
UofIChE06
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monte Carlo View Post
They may fluctuate a few pounds, but since the weigh-in in generally 24-30 hours before the fight, they aren't adding 20 or 25 pounds overnight. they will get their water weight back, but imagine it can't fluctuate more than 8-10 pounds max.

And you made my point exactly in saying that the scouting services are basing it off of actually being weighed and not by what it looks like. I was agreeing with the person I responded to on this one saying that just because one poster said he looks really thin and couldn't weight more than 170 that you can't tell by looking at someone. So thanks for supporting my point.
It really depends but a UFC fighter putting 15+ lbs on between weigh in and fight is not unheard of. A lot of the upper tier fighters have a "walking weight" roughly 1 weight class above where they fight. That is why you see the stars of the sport fight in two classes at times. One they cut for and the other they don't really need to. Only the elite fighters can do this because they become pretty undersized when fighting at "walking weight".

For all those that are believing AC is 205, Ulis must be up to 6'1" now. If he got an offer and committed he would be 6'2":laugh:
UofIChE06 is offline
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:05 AM   #4077
Illiniwek06
Illiniwek06's Avatar
Location: N of I-80
Posts: 1,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monte Carlo View Post
They may fluctuate a few pounds, but since the weigh-in in generally 24-30 hours before the fight, they aren't adding 20 or 25 pounds overnight. they will get their water weight back, but imagine it can't fluctuate more than 8-10 pounds max.

And you made my point exactly in saying that the scouting services are basing it off of actually being weighed and not by what it looks like. I was agreeing with the person I responded to on this one saying that just because one poster said he looks really thin and couldn't weight more than 170 that you can't tell by looking at someone. So thanks for supporting my point.
My bad, I somehow read your original post as support for the notion that judging a recruit's weight by sight rather than measurement is more accurate. In any event, I'm sure adding some sort of healthy weight will be a priority for AC.
Illiniwek06 is offline
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:40 AM   #4078
fan17
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniEX2011 View Post
That kid can score, I'm really excited to see him develop under Groce. Anyone know his average this year it seems like everytime someone posts his stats he's scored over 30
http://stats.stlhighschoolsports.com.../overall13.php

23.8. Link gives Hill's complete stats
fan17 is offline
Old Jan 16, 2013, 05:27 AM   #4079
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Location: People's Republic of Massachusetts
Posts: 8,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jphill1989 View Post
Malcolm Hill with 33 pts tonight against cross town rival Belleville West in a 66-65 OT win. His 30th point of the game made him Belleville East's all time leading scorer. Congrats to Malcolm.
WesterveltVictoryCigar is offline
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:07 AM   #4080
Hugh Jorgen
Banned
Posts: 1,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaytonHighstep View Post
I can see that, but taking care of the basketball is something that any coach should emphasize on a regular basis. IMO, it isn't acceptable to be pushing the ball and just lose the ball with little or no pressure from the defense. I have seen that a couple of times and it just raised a red flag for me. I think 99% of high school kids can work on tightening up their handle before they get to the next level of competition.
Absolutely...and nowadays, I believe it is the most underemphasized part of basketball development in junior high and high school. Way too much time spent on offensive sets and learning the intricacies of everything, when in reality, they should spend a majority of time on conditioning, ballhandling, defense, and shooting drills. Take a page from Calipari's dribble drive offense and 90% of the time you'll have a fundamentally sound and dangerous team game in and game out at those levels.

I remember when I played in jr. high and h.s., our coaches focused all of their attention on enhancing fundamentals virtually every practice. Then, in the final hour, we focused on shooting drills...they did this intentionally while we were already tired, so that we could learn to fight thru to maintain proper form even late in game situations. Then they would wrap things up with a scrimmage that left us on a fun note and allowed us to keep practicing the things we learned while being tired.

Our teams never had what I would call a star, but we were fundamentally tough and beat ALOT of other teams soundly that were better than we were on paper.
Hugh Jorgen is offline
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:23 AM   #4081
Symmooth
Banned
Posts: 1,361
[QUOTE=H

I remember when I played in jr. high and h.s., our coaches focused all of their attention on enhancing fundamentals virtually every practice. Then, in the final hour, we focused on shooting drills...they did this intentionally while we were already tired, so that we could learn to fight thru to maintain proper form even late in game situations. Then they would wrap things up with a scrimmage that left us on a fun note and allowed us to keep practicing the things we learned while being tired.

Our teams never had what I would call a star, but we were fundamentally tough and beat ALOT of other teams soundly that were better than we were on paper. [/QUOTE]

This sounds a lot like Wisky every year.
To get far in the dance you have to have a couple stars.

And are you saying that HS kids get tired? :laugh:

Last edited by Symmooth; Jan 16, 2013 at 09:26 AM.
Symmooth is offline
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:24 AM   #4082
bigillinfan11
bigillinfan11's Avatar
Posts: 651
I tweeted Colbert and he says he is 215. Want to know go to his twitter to see for you self
bigillinfan11 is offline
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:33 AM   #4083
BrooksTaylorFan
Banned
Location: Illinois
Posts: 5,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigillinfan11 View Post
I tweeted Colbert and he says he is 215. Want to know go to his twitter to see for you self
Nice work Nathan. Can you find out MM's weight now? haha
BrooksTaylorFan is offline
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:14 AM   #4084
HeartofaChampion
Posts: 11,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigillinfan11 View Post
I tweeted Colbert and he says he is 215. Want to know go to his twitter to see for you self
Makes sense since he was 205 this summer. He's not the 6-9, 180-pound stick that some fans thought. He'll need to get stronger in college, but he's not as far off from his ideal weight as some expected.
HeartofaChampion is offline
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:26 AM   #4085
Big Jack
Big Jack's Avatar
Location: Decatur
Posts: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by blmillini View Post
Corey Bradford was considered a pretty good shooter at Illinois. For his career he shot 38% from the field and 39% from 3. Eldridge shot 41% from the field and 37% from 3. Neither one was Steve Kerr but who is?

Eldridge was a tremendous athlete with an incredible motor. I haven't seen Nunn play this year but can only hope he is that athletic and active.

What I wouldn't give to have Corey back in the O&B for 4 more years. If KN is 75% as good as him we have something special.. He is IMO the best 3 pt shooter we have ever had. I don't care about the % because he took a lot of bad shots because of the team and playing out of position part of the time.. Had he played on this team now or under Weber he would have shot 45% from 3..
Big Jack is offline
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:32 AM   #4086
Monte Carlo
Posts: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jorgen View Post
Absolutely...and nowadays, I believe it is the most underemphasized part of basketball development in junior high and high school. Way too much time spent on offensive sets and learning the intricacies of everything, when in reality, they should spend a majority of time on conditioning, ballhandling, defense, and shooting drills. Take a page from Calipari's dribble drive offense and 90% of the time you'll have a fundamentally sound and dangerous team game in and game out at those levels.

I remember when I played in jr. high and h.s., our coaches focused all of their attention on enhancing fundamentals virtually every practice. Then, in the final hour, we focused on shooting drills...they did this intentionally while we were already tired, so that we could learn to fight thru to maintain proper form even late in game situations. Then they would wrap things up with a scrimmage that left us on a fun note and allowed us to keep practicing the things we learned while being tired.

Our teams never had what I would call a star, but we were fundamentally tough and beat ALOT of other teams soundly that were better than we were on paper.
You are so right on this. I have an 8th grade son who is on a pretty good small school team (12-3) but they can't shoot/dribble very well at all as a group and the limited practices I have seen they spend some time on it but more on the sets and plays. And, lo and behold we lost last night to a team we shouldn't have because their point guard had great ballhandling fundamentals and ours doesn't and we were 13-47 from the floor. Just emphasizes your point that there is more concern about plays and winning than turning these kids into complete b-ball players. The kids are having to do all the fundamental work on the side and out of season just to get what they should be largely getting in season.
Monte Carlo is offline
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:36 AM   #4087
Monte Carlo
Posts: 529
Finke had 13 points and six boards in a Centennial win last night. Stats might be a bit lower than expected simply because it was a slow-down type of game and ended 46-43.
Monte Carlo is offline
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:49 AM   #4088
Redbirds33333
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monte Carlo View Post
Finke had 13 points and six boards in a Centennial win last night. Stats might be a bit lower than expected simply because it was a slow-down type of game and ended 46-43.
Thanks for the Info! Curious to hear how Colbert's first game goes Saturday and how he improves as he gets into "game" shape.
Redbirds33333 is offline
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:27 PM   #4089
UofIChE06
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigillinfan11 View Post
I tweeted Colbert and he says he is 215. Want to know go to his twitter to see for you self
So he is the same size as McLovin, Shaw, and Griffey and a little bigger than Langford....
UofIChE06 is offline
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:35 PM   #4090
TCTORNADO
Posts: 4,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigillinfan11 View Post
I tweeted Colbert and he says he is 215. Want to know go to his twitter to see for you self
In the sense of accuracy his twitter account says "almost 215." He had a Chipotle burrito for lunch. HaHa!!
TCTORNADO is offline
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:13 PM   #4091
Hugh Jorgen
Banned
Posts: 1,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigillinfan11 View Post
I tweeted Colbert and he says he is 215. Want to know go to his twitter to see for you self
There we have it, from the horses mouth!
Hugh Jorgen is offline
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:21 PM   #4092
Hugh Jorgen
Banned
Posts: 1,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartofaChampion View Post
Makes sense since he was 205 this summer. He's not the 6-9, 180-pound stick that some fans thought. He'll need to get stronger in college, but he's not as far off from his ideal weight as some expected.
Assuming what he is saying is accurate...remember, Meyers Leonard said in an interview at the end of last season going into the NBA draft camps that he was "currently 255 lbs., and I'm adding muscle and bulking up for the league". My cousin who works for the Bobcats as a scout was very interested in that statement as he has known Meyers and watched him since his freshman season at Robinson, IL.

8 days after that statement, he checked in at 237 lbs for the first camp.

It's hard to tell, but its usually a pretty reliable pattern that the player themselves and the team they play for inflate height and weight depending on position, and that the truth usually lies somewhere in the measurements taken at AAU player camps or Draft camps where ALOT is riding on true size (for recruiters and scouts at the next level).

All I want Colbert to do is be fundamentally sound and intense...if he can play at 6'10" we'll need it as soon as next year, so come on in Austin!
Hugh Jorgen is offline
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:30 PM   #4093
Combo
Posts: 1,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jorgen View Post
Assuming what he is saying is accurate...remember, Meyers Leonard said in an interview at the end of last season going into the NBA draft camps that he was "currently 255 lbs., and I'm adding muscle and bulking up for the league". My cousin who works for the Bobcats as a scout was very interested in that statement as he has known Meyers and watched him since his freshman season at Robinson, IL.

8 days after that statement, he checked in at 237 lbs for the first camp.

It's hard to tell, but its usually a pretty reliable pattern that the player themselves and the team they play for inflate height and weight depending on position, and that the truth usually lies somewhere in the measurements taken at AAU player camps or Draft camps where ALOT is riding on true size (for recruiters and scouts at the next level).

All I want Colbert to do is be fundamentally sound and intense...if he can play at 6'10" we'll need it as soon as next year, so come on in Austin!

Seems like a male trait to exaggerate size
Combo is offline
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:32 PM   #4094
FeelYourPaign
FeelYourPaign's Avatar
Location: Barrington, IL
Posts: 4,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combo View Post
Seems like a male trait to exaggerate size
FeelYourPaign is offline
Old Jan 16, 2013, 02:23 PM   #4095
TCTORNADO
Posts: 4,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combo View Post
Seems like a male trait to exaggerate size
Look at the screen name of the poster you were replying to.
TCTORNADO is offline
Old Jan 16, 2013, 03:29 PM   #4096
sugmeister
Posts: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCTORNADO View Post
Look at the screen name of the poster you were replying to.
ya know.....I never made the connection.

I am duly impressed.
sugmeister is offline
Old Jan 16, 2013, 03:52 PM   #4097
TCTORNADO
Posts: 4,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jphill1989 View Post
Malcolm Hill with 33 pts tonight against cross town rival Belleville West in a 66-65 OT win. His 30th point of the game made him Belleville East's all time leading scorer. Congrats to Malcolm.
Just out of curiosity who was previous record holder??
TCTORNADO is offline
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:23 PM   #4098
bigillinfan11
bigillinfan11's Avatar
Posts: 651
BTF Mavrick Mirgan is a bit over 250 according to his response to me. Go ahead and check his twitter for any body who wants to see from him
bigillinfan11 is offline
Old Jan 16, 2013, 05:23 PM   #4099
cjcastan
cjcastan's Avatar
Posts: 1,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigillinfan11 View Post
BTF Mavrick Mirgan is a bit over 250 according to his response to me. Go ahead and check his twitter for any body who wants to see from him
Man these kids have to think we are big time creepers lol :laugh:

__________________
The ball is round. The game lasts forty minutes. This much is fact. Everything else is theory
cjcastan is offline
Old Jan 16, 2013, 05:44 PM   #4100
IlliniRunIn07
IlliniRunIn07's Avatar
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 4,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcastan View Post
Man these kids have to think we are big time creepers lol :laugh:
Would they be wrong?
IlliniRunIn07 is offline
Closed Thread


« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Forum Jump