Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread

Closed Thread

Old Jan 18, 2013, 08:34 PM   #4251
TCTORNADO
Maverick Morgan Friday night stats

29 pts on 12 of 16 from the field & 4 rebounds!!
Springboro defeats Fairborn 74-54
Pre-game weigh in--244.546#'s on Toledo Scales.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:10 PM   #4252
HsvIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by combes View Post
I don't see the connection. Obi would not be here for two years. What happens next year? If we were looking to bring in a spring 2013 power forward, the theory would make more sense.
The only connection I'm making is that he's brought in a class for '13 already. '14 was thought to be dead except for Cliff or Lyle and those two were already dependent on creative scholarship arrangements. But now there are offers being made to new names for '14 which is odd since we were already without schollies to give in the first place

Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:17 PM   #4253
PeoriaChief
Quote:
Originally Posted by HsvIllini View Post
The only connection I'm making is that he's brought in a class for '13 already. '14 was thought to be dead except for Cliff or Lyle and those two were already dependent on creative scholarship arrangements. But now there are offers being made to new names for '14 which is odd since we were already without schollies to give in the first place
Maybe Groce is just playing the game. Offering the kid to build a relationship with the high school and AAU program, networking.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:31 PM   #4254
RecLeagueHero
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCTORNADO View Post

Great game Mav!
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:01 PM   #4255
AzIlliniFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCTORNADO View Post

Pre-game weigh in? What, they donning boxing gloves now? Great stats this season for MM! Man, I sure hope he can step right in and give us at least 10 minutes a game next season.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:27 PM   #4256
illini73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbirds33333 View Post
Consider me on the Ulis bandwagon...After watching multiple clips of him, reading multiple reports over the past 6 months, and a couple games (including the entire game last night)...He's a gamer, clutch, and has a huge heart. I'd love to see him at Illinois.
Give me players that positively affect a team with either scoring, passing, defense, etc... and I want that player playing for the UofI (regardless of height). Ulis is VASTLY underrated and I know he has no high major offers, but that is a mistake that I hope does not come back to haunt us.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:57 PM   #4257
IlliniSpine
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jorgen View Post
I personally think it would be a BIG mistake to include Henry on that list...the kid can flat out score and rebounds really well for his size. Biggest issue for Henry right now is lackadaisical defense, which can be fixed. I don't think you ever chase off someone w/ his scoring ability. He is the player that I would see blossoming under this staff by next year.
Doubt it. We saw glimpse of BP, DJ, TA, JB scoring "big" in games in their FR and SO year even under BW. We have yet to see MH score double digits.

Could he be a late bloomer under JG? Sure. Just don't see the requisite bball IQ. He will be an 8ppg, 4-6 rebounds per game at best unless he works his tail off over the summer which I don't see happening given his personality.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 12:03 AM   #4258
BlockI
Banned
Groce was watching J Lyle tonight. Bosse has an assistant coach who was a former IL state champion in 1996 for Shelbyville. Maybe he could pitch the Illini for us I know he is a big UI fan.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 12:26 AM   #4259
TCTORNADO
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlockI View Post
Groce was watching J Lyle tonight. Bosse has an assistant coach who was a former IL state champion in 1996 for Shelbyville. Maybe he could pitch the Illini for us I know he is a big UI fan.
HCJG saw a good effort by Lyle. 21 pts, 10 rebs, and 7 assts.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 01:33 AM   #4260
jonnymo
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesLawrence View Post
You wanna check Mizz stats? and Minn? not sure, but I swear their rotation was 5 in 5 out.. That is what Coach JG wants to be able to do. That way you just keep attacking our opponent, full press and full sprint the whole game.. That is what he wants to do. I do remember him saying that he isn't anywhere near installing his full system yet.
Kinda like hockey clear the puck and bring in the next line.....that would be prettyawdsome if we could get to that point
Old Jan 19, 2013, 01:54 AM   #4261
jonnymo
Does anyone know if players play AAU summer ball after they graduate or can they play?? Because that is where there is a lot of movement in the rankings.
I don't really pay ALOT of attention to rankings but it is a good indication. However like posters have said MH was hurt in rankings because he was recovering from surgery/injury. Also JT suffered in the rankings when he transferred to simeon and sat much of his junior year.
Idk. I really think we have a very deceptively good class. Only problem is I believe most of them are going to need a year of B1G play and year to learn JG system. Although MH and KN should be able to get some good tick because they are just that good and MM should be able to get some good tick because we just absolutely need his size and (I hope and pray) his awesome rebounding immediately.
Just some thoughts.......
Old Jan 19, 2013, 02:28 AM   #4262
jonnymo
Quote:
I've seen Tyler play, and for comparison sake, I'll ask you to think of Demetrius Jackson one more painful time.

Jackson is quick, but Tyler is quite a bit quicker than Jackson is...not as strong physically, and not as athletic from a jump standpoint right now, but Tyler is both faster (end to end) and quicker (laterally) than Jackson.

Just my humble opinion.
I saw ulis in person once and 4 times streaming and what is so increadibke about him is at 5'8/5'10' whatever height u wanna say he is. When he drives the lane the always taller defenders never can collapse on him because they don't know if he is gonna take it all the way to the hole or drop it down to a cutter or alley opp it or kick it out to someone waiting to drill a three. He is very amazing player. He is definately a true leader and true PG that can score when needed
U can see he usually doesn't score much in the first and third quarters because he feels its important to get his team involved and to get the other team to know that he isn't the only O threat. Although if they fall behind early in either half he has the ability and will start scoring in bunches
I read an article in December where some people asked why he didn't transfer to a top Chicago school after his freshman year and he said he made commitment to Marion Catholic and he wanted to he the person to turn the program around. And that's exactly what he's done. They are 14-2 won the mcdippess tourney and he believes he could even get them to Peoria this year.
Idk I think he is very skilled and has a high basketball IQ and could under 4 years of JG instruction be as good as Dee was maybe even better (if that's possible) haha!!

Anyways that's my TU rant for the month FWIW

But as always it's #ingrocewetrust
Old Jan 19, 2013, 02:46 AM   #4263
jonnymo
Quote:
I personally think it would be a BIG mistake to include Henry on that list...the kid can flat out score and rebounds really well for his size. Biggest issue for Henry right now is lackadaisical defense, which can be fixed. I don't think you ever chase off someone w/ his scoring ability. He is the player that I would see blossoming under this staff by next year.
I think it would he a mistake as well. I just think he is having a hard time grasping JG's system especially on the defensive end of the court.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 03:00 AM   #4264
Groce SPOT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geno33 View Post
Isn't T.Uliss the same height R.Boatright of Ucon?
I'm pretty sure Boatright was 6'0-6'1.

For all the TU lovers that can't go three posts without seeing his name posted, I hope you are willing to come back and admit you were wrong, and the college coaches that do this for living were right, if he stinks as a college player. I've never seen him play but even if I did i'm in no position to say how wrong every college coach is to not offer him. People keep comparing him to short college players that were actually ranked as top prospects in the country and had numerous high major offers like he is going to turn out just like them.

Sure there are players that coaches miss out on but that is the exception more then the rule.

I only say this not because I don't thing he a worthy basketball player, but people are so obsessed with him that he is much more of a topic instead of the guys we are actually recruiting. I like this thread for the info, even how TU did in his games. But the drooling is a little tired. Go
Old Jan 19, 2013, 03:27 AM   #4265
jonnymo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groce SPOT View Post

For all the TU lovers that can't go three posts without seeing his name posted, I hope you are willing to come back and admit you were wrong, and the college coaches that do this for living were right, if he stinks as a college player. I've never seen him play but even if I did i'm in no position to say how wrong every college coach is to not offer him. People keep comparing him to short college players that were actually ranked as top prospects in the country and had numerous high major offers like he is going to turn out just like them.

Sure there are players that coaches miss out on but that is the exception more then the rule.

I
only say this not because I don't thing he a worthy basketball player, but people are so obsessed with him that he is much more of a topic instead of the guys we are actually recruiting. I like this thread for the info, even how TU did in his games. But the drooling is a little tired. Go
I am one of the guilty posters of wanting TU bad. And I will be the first to admit I was wrong. But I just dont think I would be. Like u said some players that go unnoticed blow up and become stars and I just think he is that player. But plain and simple if JG doesn't offer him we won't need to worry about it and I think this will be the case unfortunately
Old Jan 19, 2013, 06:22 AM   #4266
cardsillinifan
I am really excited about the type of season that Maverick Morgan is having this year. He seems to be putting up big numbers every game against good competition . Malcolm Hill is also putting up a solid senior season as well. The recruit that is making me nervous is Kendrick Nunn, his stats sound like Mike Shaws in high school . Every game I feel like he has about eight points . Is he that limited on the offensive side of the ball? I know he is on a good team but he does not help them out much on that end of the court .
Old Jan 19, 2013, 06:22 AM   #4267
Geno33
Missouri illini Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groce SPOT View Post

I only say this not because I don't thing he a worthy basketball player, but people are so obsessed with him that he is much more of a topic instead of the guys we are actually recruiting. I like this thread for the info, even how TU did in his games. But the drooling is a little tired. Go
Hey Groce spot ! how do you interpret asking if a player is as tall as another as drooling?
I have no clue if the coaches should offer the kid or not.I was simply asking for a height comparison .Get over yourself
Old Jan 19, 2013, 07:30 AM   #4268
morif
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsillinifan View Post
I am really excited about the type of season that Maverick Morgan is having this year. He seems to be putting up big numbers every game against good competition . Malcolm Hill is also putting up a solid senior season as well. The recruit that is making me nervous is Kendrick Nunn, his stats sound like Mike Shaws in high school . Every game I feel like he has about eight points . Is he that limited on the offensive side of the ball? I know he is on a good team but he does not help them out much on that end of the court .
I have watched 3 of Simeons games and have to say I am not at all impressed with Nunn offesively. He is very athletic however. I actually think that Tate will be more of a help to the Illini before Nunn. Just my opinion. The kid I wish the Illini had recruited on that team is Pollard. He can play on both ends of the court.....
Old Jan 19, 2013, 08:38 AM   #4269
FeelYourPaign
I'm not a big fan of Creaning, conceptually. I probably will be when the NCAA changes the rules and lets a kid transfer and play right away. That will make a great deal more sense to me. However, ignoring the ethics of it for a moment, I decided to get practical and see what Creaning would mean for us. Share my thoughts and then get your perspective.

Obviously, Creaning is about the future. So, looking at next year's roster, here is who we have, sorted by number of years of eligibility remaining (took this from rbachhuber's chart)
1 - J Bertrand
2 - R Rice
2 - T Abrams
2 - N Egwu
2 - M Henry
2 - M Shaw
2 - I Djimde
3 - D Langford
4 - M Morgan
4 - A Colbert
4 - M Hill
4 - K Nunn
4 - J Tate

Looking at that list, I will say that JBert, Abrams, Egwu and (really guessing here) Rice are certain to be retained, for skills, experience and/or toughness. Of course, the 5 freshmen that JG recruited are certain to be retained. So, the only candidates for early dismissal are Henry, Shaw, Djimde and Langford. Think everyone knew this.

The question in my mind becomes "who is available to add to this team better than those guys, all at the cost of increasing further the class imbalance that we suffer?" I am assuming that there is no one left that we could add to make a difference in next Fall's class. Yes, there are a few great players who are uncommitted, but we have no relationship with any of them and they will not be signing with Illinois no matter how many roster spots we have open. So, if we make a spot available this Fall, isn't it either going to have to go to another 3 star player, a surprise 5th year grad student or sit empty? Is this correct?

If so, Creaning a guy now means going next year with a short roster. Not that this is all bad. For example, that makes it completely obvious that we can take more guys in 2014. Probably easier to recruit when you can say to the player and parents that you have 1 spot left and you are the guy that I want to fill it. And adding another player in 2014 sounds pretty good, since it creates slightly better class balance than we have right now. It is odd to have 5-6 spots one year, then 1 the next. Having about 4 spots a year would seem to make the most sense.

Anyway, is this how Creaning has to work? Let a guy go at the end of 2013 so as to have recruiting room 18 months later? Or does masterful Creaning mean that you let a guy go this Spring to have more room immediately?

Or are people assuming that it is better form to let someone (or even 2 someones) go right now so that recruiting Cliff or Lyle or whomever for 2014 is more straight up?

I'm curious about how you guys think this works, practically.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 08:39 AM   #4270
Monte Carlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo G View Post
I think the problem is that the sophomore PF's aren't able to compete.
If they were, they would get minutes.
This isn't about seniority; this is about being able to play and produce.
The sophs haven't, although it looks like Shaw might have started to figure it out as of late.
Guess I am not seeing what others are because I don't find that two points, three rebounds and six fouls in 24 minutes over the last two games suggest he is figuring anything out. He may be showing energy out there but it doesn't appear to be accomplishing much of anything. I don't care if Henry doesn't play good defense, he needs to be in the game. Griffey doesn't play any defense and he plays quite a bit. I think it's to the point where the younger guys have got to get some PT because we are losing badly and to bad teams with the starters, so what is there to lose? Nothing and yet we can gain by our players that don't get much playing time now maybe gaining some confidence with extended playing time.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 08:42 AM   #4271
mikpence
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniSpine View Post
Doubt it. We saw glimpse of BP, DJ, TA, JB scoring "big" in games in their FR and SO year even under BW. We have yet to see MH score double digits.

Could he be a late bloomer under JG? Sure. Just don't see the requisite bball IQ. He will be an 8ppg, 4-6 rebounds per game at best unless he works his tail off over the summer which I don't see happening given his personality.
Like when Mychael Henry led the team in scoring as a frosh against Chicago St.? He needs minutes at his actual position, not stuck at power forward.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:03 AM   #4272
shelbyrunner80
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikpence View Post
Like when Mychael Henry led the team in scoring as a frosh against Chicago St.? He needs minutes at his actual position, not stuck at power forward.
i agree with you about henry, but here's my opinion, whatever it's worth. there is no mystery regarding how you get time on the court once you reach the d1 level. you don't have a clear natural advantage over the players on your team or in your conference, normally (otherwise you'd get court time). so, you better bring the intensity and effort to defense and rebounding every day in practice. make groce take notice, sell out wholesale on your defensive effort, get on the floor the ball is loose, set a real effin' pick, do every little thing effort wise that you can.

if your talent level is roughly equivalent or even a little less than another player who doesn't do this, then you're gonna get time. if not, you're gonna ride the bench. it seems to me that some of the kids we recruit think you walk in, go through practice and get to play. this isn't high school. if you don't work for it, it ain't coming. i can't understand how you can be so gifted and not want to work hard to develop it. it makes zero sense to me.

this is pretty standard advice in sports and life. there are a few people who are simply transcendentally talented. everyone else is divided by effort and luck. one you can take care of, the other you can't.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:04 AM   #4273
mikpence
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbyrunner80 View Post
i agree with you about henry, but here's my opinion, whatever it's worth. there is no mystery regarding how you get time on the court once you reach the d1 level. you don't have a clear natural advantage over the players on your team or in your conference, normally (otherwise you'd get court time). so, you better bring the intensity and effort to defense and rebounding every day in practice. make groce take notice, sell out wholesale on your defensive effort, get on the floor the ball is loose, set a real effin' pick, do every little thing effort wise that you can.

if your talent level is roughly equivalent or even a little less than another player who doesn't do this, then you're gonna get time. if not, you're gonna ride the bench. it seems to me that some of the kids we recruit think you walk in, go through practice and get to play. this isn't high school. if you don't work for it, it ain't coming. i can't understand how you can be so gifted and not want to work hard to develop it. it makes zero sense to me.

this is pretty standard advice in sports and life. there are a few people who are simply transcendentally talented. everyone else is divided by effort and luck. one you can take care of, the other you can't.
I won't argue that point at all, I will say though you need guys in roster spots that belong there. I.e. You don't want five or six shooting guards on one team. What I like thus far about Groce's recruiting is that he seems to understand that and has addressed it in his first class.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 12:39 PM   #4274
Illinifn79
Banned
Colbert first game will be streaming tonight 973espn.com
Old Jan 19, 2013, 12:47 PM   #4275
Karl Welzein
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikpence View Post
Please. Kevin Berardini could score in double figures against Chicago St.

Henry doesn't play hard. Minutes are there for the taking but that still doesn't inspire him to go all out.
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »