Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > General > Track 5 Chat

Do HDTV's usually come with HDMI cables?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:02 AM   #1
dansaint
Location: Middletown, IL
Posts: 890
I am expecting to get my TV today delivered to me and I was wondering if they came with a cable or am I gonna have to go to Lincoln after work and pick up a couple (one for the TV and one for my XBox)?

I got a 37in Samsung 1080P 120Hz for $420.

__________________
YOUR 2012 ILLINOIS LOYALTY FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!!!!!!
dansaint is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:05 AM   #2
illinifan31
Orange Krush Cow
illinifan31's Avatar
Location: Champaign/Chicago Suburbs
Posts: 948
I know the XBox doesn't come with one, because people made a big deal about how the WiiU came with an HDMI cord unlike any other system. I would think it might be the same for the TV, but I don't know.
illinifan31 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:13 AM   #3
illynifan34
That's a winner!!
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 7,884
I wouldn't count on it.

Order cables from here: http://www.monoprice.com/

__________________
www.afsp.org

In Mike I Trust

Aggressive

illynifan34 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:53 AM   #4
FeelYourPaign
FeelYourPaign's Avatar
Location: Barrington, IL
Posts: 4,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansaint View Post
I am expecting to get my TV today delivered to me and I was wondering if they came with a cable or am I gonna have to go to Lincoln after work and pick up a couple (one for the TV and one for my XBox)?

I got a 37in Samsung 1080P 120Hz for $420.
Would not expect cables and would not buy them from a big box if I could help it, as they charge a fortune. Go the internet route, like the link provided above this note.
FeelYourPaign is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:55 AM   #5
DrewD007
DrewD007's Avatar
Location: Swansea, IL
Posts: 4,396
Yeah just got a TV delivered yesterday. No HDMI cable included.
DrewD007 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:13 AM   #6
CaptainHindsight
Location: Champaign
Posts: 426
I bought a Vizio tv from Walmart and it came with a HDMI cable. I bought a cable thinking it wouldn't, and had to return it. not a huge deal.
CaptainHindsight is online now Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:25 AM   #7
KBLEE
KBLEE's Avatar
Location: Montgomery, IL
Posts: 6,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by illynifan34 View Post
I wouldn't count on it.

Order cables from here: http://www.monoprice.com/
This.

And - even if your TV comes with some, or your cable / satellite company provide some, they are likely crap.
KBLEE is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:27 AM   #8
illynifan34
That's a winner!!
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 7,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLEE View Post
This.

And - even if your TV comes with some, or your cable / satellite company provide some, they are likely crap.
I learned about monoprice from some poster here, probably you, love it so much.

__________________
www.afsp.org

In Mike I Trust

Aggressive

illynifan34 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:32 AM   #9
KBLEE
KBLEE's Avatar
Location: Montgomery, IL
Posts: 6,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by illynifan34 View Post
I learned about monoprice from some poster here, probably you, love it so much.
Probably.

For the OP - if you look at monoprice and are overwhelmed by the selection of HDMI cables offered, these are the ones I use and recommend: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
KBLEE is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:55 PM   #10
ill07
ill07's Avatar
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLEE View Post
This.

And - even if your TV comes with some, or your cable / satellite company provide some, they are likely crap.
While I agree that monoprice (and amazon, but thats because i like the 2-day shipping with prime) is a really wonderful place to get cables from, I'd have to disagree with the assessment of HDMI cables that come with the tv/cable box.

HDMI cables essentially work, or do not work. This is why anyone who tells you that you need a $50+ HDMI cable should get kicked in the nuts. A $3 HDMI cable will give you equal quality (with the exception of running very long stretches of HDMI cable). So too, a cheapo cable that comes with the TV or cable box will give you essentially the same A/V quality -- there are no HDMI cables that "outperform" others.

Now, the cheapo ones may break easier, but that's a different story.

__________________
And unto thee we pledge our heart and hand, Dear Alma Mater
ill07 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:08 PM   #11
KBLEE
KBLEE's Avatar
Location: Montgomery, IL
Posts: 6,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by ill07 View Post
HDMI cables essentially work, or do not work. This is why anyone who tells you that you need a $50+ HDMI cable should get kicked in the nuts. A $3 HDMI cable will give you equal quality (with the exception of running very long stretches of HDMI cable). So too, a cheapo cable that comes with the TV or cable box will give you essentially the same A/V quality -- there are no HDMI cables that "outperform" others.
I respectfully disagree. I purchased a 3D TV ~ 1.5 years ago and switched programming providers. I was given an HDMI cable with my new receiver, but was unable to get the 3D content to work properly. It turns out that the cable I was provided was "standard speed" and will not pass a 3D signal properly. It is possible that "high speed" certified cables are being distributed now, but in purchasing my own, I know that I have a quality cable that will pass 3D properly and will be able to handle 4K when it becomes the standard.

Here's a bit more from the HDMI organization.

Last edited by KBLEE; Nov 28, 2012 at 03:16 PM.
KBLEE is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:12 AM   #12
ill07
ill07's Avatar
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLEE View Post
I respectfully disagree. I purchased a 3D TV ~ 1.5 years ago and switched programming providers. I was given an HDMI cable with my new receiver, but was unable to get the 3D content to work properly. It turns out that the cable I was provided was "standard speed" and will not pass a 3D signal properly. It is possible that "high speed" certified cables are being distributed now, but in purchasing my own, I know that I have a quality cable that will pass 3D properly and will be able to handle 4K when it becomes the standard.

Here's a bit more from the HDMI organization.
Ah, ok, that makes sense now. An exception I failed to consider. There were definitely changes to HDMI to be able to pass 3D possibly, so that can definitely cause an issue particularly with older cables (and lord knows that cables that come with cable boxes aren't typically the most up-to-date). I was saying that for standard, regular ol' HDTV, the quality won't differ with a cheap cable, but you're certainly correct that the cable company might issue an previous "version" HDMI cable which could cause issues. I stand corrected.

In the end though, as you said, buying from Monoprice is the best way to go. They are inexpensive, and great quality. If I know in advance I need cables, that's where I go. If I need something quickly and don't feel like paying rush charges, I use my Amazon Prime membership and get the Amazon Basics HDMI cable (I can attest that those are of good quality and value as well).

The only concrete rule? Never, ever, ever buy an HDMI cable from a big box/electronics store, no matter what the salesman tells you about the "superior quality" and "gold plating" nonsense. Retailers mark up those cables at mind-blowing percentages, because they don't have as much markup room with the electronics themselves. I've actually told a customer being suckered into a $60 HDMI cable to ignore the pitch and order online. Boy was THAT salesman unhappy with me.

__________________
And unto thee we pledge our heart and hand, Dear Alma Mater
ill07 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:57 AM   #13
illinicb
illinicb's Avatar
Location: Northbrook
Posts: 7,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansaint View Post
I am expecting to get my TV today delivered to me and I was wondering if they came with a cable or am I gonna have to go to Lincoln after work and pick up a couple (one for the TV and one for my XBox)?

I got a 37in Samsung 1080P 120Hz for $420.
I doubt it. I needed some this past weekend and bought some at Radio Shack for a real cheap price as part of their black Friday sale. Might still be going on if you have one close. I looked at Best Buy earlier in the day and the cables were almost as much as the TV.

__________________
"I could care less" does not mean the same as "I couldn't care less"
illinicb is online now Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:02 AM   #14
frankfortillini
frankfortillini's Avatar
Location: Frankfort, IL
Posts: 586
Go to Amazon - $3-$4 for nice HDMI cables. Don't be fooled by the high priced ones - I have 7 HDTVs and all running using $3 cables from Amazon - never an issue.
frankfortillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:07 PM   #15
AzIlliniFan
Posts: 3,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankfortillini View Post
Go to Amazon - $3-$4 for nice HDMI cables. Don't be fooled by the high priced ones - I have 7 HDTVs and all running using $3 cables from Amazon - never an issue.
Can we all come to your house to watch football this weekend? I'll bring some some of my amazing guacamole! Who's got the beer?
AzIlliniFan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:22 PM   #16
sie0174
Posts: 38
There is nothing to agree or disagree about. It is a fact that all hdmi cables are the same. Don't pay more than $10 for one.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7...-are-the-same/
sie0174 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:16 AM   #17
dansaint
Location: Middletown, IL
Posts: 890
Got 2 for 8 bucks at walmart (one for tv and direcTv and the other for my xbox) on Tuesday. Works great. Awesome picture.

__________________
YOUR 2012 ILLINOIS LOYALTY FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!!!!!!
dansaint is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:51 AM   #18
KBLEE
KBLEE's Avatar
Location: Montgomery, IL
Posts: 6,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by sie0174 View Post
There is nothing to agree or disagree about. It is a fact that all hdmi cables are the same. Don't pay more than $10 for one.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7...-are-the-same/
This is not correct, as per the discussion above. There are actually 5 different types of HDMI cables. If you are looking to do 3D, or in the future 4K, you WILL NEED a high speed HDMI cable. Likewise, if you are attempting to use HDMI for networking your devices, you WILL NEED an HDMI cable w/ a dedicated ethernet channel. You can choose to believe some random dude who writes for CNET, or you can take the word of the HDMI organization itself.
KBLEE is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:00 AM   #19
eMitch
Location: Quincy, IL
Posts: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLEE View Post
This is not correct, as per the discussion above. There are actually 5 different types of HDMI cables. If you are looking to do 3D, or in the future 4K, you WILL NEED a high speed HDMI cable. Likewise, if you are attempting to use HDMI for networking your devices, you WILL NEED an HDMI cable w/ a dedicated ethernet channel. You can choose to believe some random dude who writes for CNET, or you can take the word of the HDMI organization itself.
In the article he says there are 4 kinds. Std, Std w/ethernet, HighSpeed, HighSpeed with ethernet. But, within those groups, they either work or they don't and nothing in-between.

Last edited by eMitch; Nov 30, 2012 at 10:12 AM.
eMitch is online now Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 07:40 PM   #20
MTILLINOIS
MTILLINOIS's Avatar
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,360
I've been shopping around for TV mounts (brackets). Walmart, Target and Best Buy sells the full motion TV mounts for my 32in LED TV for $80 and up. I found a website called http://www.tmart.com. They had a full motion wall mount for my TV for $30.00. I'm going to purchase after the holidays.
MTILLINOIS is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:05 PM   #21
Ransom Stoddard
Ordained Dudeist Priest
Location: Johns Creek, GA
Posts: 1,911
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTILLINOIS View Post
I've been shopping around for TV mounts (brackets). Walmart, Target and Best Buy sells the full motion TV mounts for my 32in LED TV for $80 and up. I found a website called http://www.tmart.com. They had a full motion wall mount for my TV for $30.00. I'm going to purchase after the holidays.
I've unwittingly bought from that website before (ebay, I think). They sent a flier in the package that had blu-ray players, security cameras, LED flashlights, and tacky lingerie. They seem a little....low-tier to me, but if you don't need service or returns that's a great price.
Ransom Stoddard is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:12 PM   #22
SteakSandwich
Location: Danville, IL
Posts: 110
I got a 37" samsung 3D from HH Gregg and HDMI cables were delivered with the tv but the new smart remote was bad had to get a new one sent to me.
SteakSandwich is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:27 AM   #23
DaytonIllini
DaytonIllini's Avatar
Posts: 19,179
There is actually another type of HDMI cable as well called HDMI AOC. The O stands for optical but I don't recall the rest of the acronym. We use it at work for long runs to projectors and in our surgical suites. An HDMI signal disappears at some point. For long runs like 10+ meters you need HDMI AOC. That can matter with home theaters that use projectors but otherwise probably irrelevant for simple TV's.

Just saying that there are differences in HDMI cables. I think if you have the category of cable down though, the rest is just mark-up.

The customer service at www.cablestogo.com is really top notch. Their prices are higher than monoprice but you can get a lot of help (or at least that was my experience) from C2G. They will even make custom length cables if you have specific needs.

__________________
No nation can preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare.
-- James Madison
DaytonIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:43 PM   #24
eMitch
Location: Quincy, IL
Posts: 181
To be fair and more complete, the article did say there was some type of automotive HDMI cable, but I left it out and only listed the TV ones. But you have the main point, once you get the right category, they either work or they don't.
eMitch is online now Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:23 PM   #25
JSpence
Location: Evansville, IN
Posts: 1,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTILLINOIS View Post
I've been shopping around for TV mounts (brackets). Walmart, Target and Best Buy sells the full motion TV mounts for my 32in LED TV for $80 and up. I found a website called http://www.tmart.com. They had a full motion wall mount for my TV for $30.00. I'm going to purchase after the holidays.
Maybe you'll love it for years, but saving $30 on something to support a $1000 TV is sometimes a good way to chip away at your homeowners deductible.

Good luck!
JSpence is offline Reply With Quote
Reply


« Previous Thread | General Chat | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Forum Jump