Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

12/4 Games

Old Dec 3, 2012, 11:15 PM   #1
trevdv
- Texas vs. Georgetown & NC State vs. Uconn (Jimmy V Classic)
- Southern Miss (6-1) @ Arizona (5-0)
- Northwestern (6-2) @ Baylor (5-2)
- Western Michigan (6-1) @ Michigan (7-0)
- Wyoming (8-0) @ Illinois State (5-2)

Georgetown is coming off that HORRIBLE game against the Vols. It'll be interesting to see if Baylor wins by 40 or by 50 over the Wildcats, that'll be something to track closely. We'll see if the Wolverines can escape against another good mid-major program. Illinois State nearly knocked off Lousiville, now they play an underrated undefeated team. Some good stuff Tuesday night.

Last edited by Dan; Dec 4, 2012 at 07:13 AM.
trevdv is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 12:25 AM   #2
OrangeAndBlue217
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevdv View Post
- Texas vs. Georgetown & NC State vs. Uconn (Jimmy V Classic)
- Southern Miss (6-1) @ Arizona (5-0)
- Northwestern (6-2) @ Baylor (5-2)
- Western Michigan (6-1) @ Michigan (7-0)
- Wyoming (8-0) @ Illinois State (5-2)

Georgetown is coming off that HORRIBLE game against the Vols. It'll be interesting to see if Baylor wins by 40 or by 50 over the Wildcats, that'll be something to track closely. We'll see if the Wolverines can escape against another good mid-major program. Illinois State nearly knocked off Lousiville, now they play an underrated undefeated team. Some good stuff Tuesday night.
Definitely could be some good games. What if Texas wins? What if NW wins? I would look for ISU to win their game.

Last edited by Dan; Dec 4, 2012 at 07:13 AM.
OrangeAndBlue217 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 01:00 AM   #3
zoggle101
I need Texas to win after I hyped them up pre season. What's going on with Jaylen Bond? I know their freshmen class has good bigs but I expected this kid to be competing in year two for at least 5-10 mpg. Ridley is going to be a ton with a couple seasons of college ball but this team needs Kabongo to help Felix out with the pg duties even though they'll grow with or without him this year. Felix isn't a great athlete but a strong, heady, skilled guard who will scrap. Believe it or not hey are in fringe bubble territory with a win in New York.

The Cowboys and Redbirds game has huge implications pitting two good conferences against each other for the second straight day. The Wichita State Shockers knocked off the Air Force Falcons on the road last night giving the MVC a quality win over the Mountain West.

Baylor handled the Wildcats last year in Evanston. I need to watch this game while each team needs the W. The Bears can't slip up at home and NW needs to make this a close game because their perception slipped after the blowout loss at Welsh Ryan to Terrapins. Like another poster said, "there is no excuse to lose to the Charleston Cougars "formerly maybe currently still called the College of Charleston?"" even if your best shooter has an emergency apendectomy in Brady Heslip. I wonder what's going on with seldom used big man transfer from UCLA J Mison Morgan? The Bears have a big, athletic and in Cory Jeffersons case physical front court even if it lacks a lot of experience.

The Golden Eagles vs the elite ranked Wildcats. Arizona needs this W to secure the hype and a loss here would leave this poster puzzled. Johnathan Mills could have Illini fans asking who this kid from Chicago if they somehow manage to win on the road in Tucson. He is the only guy I know and is their second leading scorer. Southern Miss has a couple meh wins over Georgia and WKU plus a loss to the New Mexico State Aggies in their last game.

Last edited by zoggle101; Dec 4, 2012 at 01:14 AM.
zoggle101 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 01:19 AM   #4
zoggle101
Huskies vs Wolfpack is going to be a game I'm judging both teams off of. I feel like either could win but want to see how NC St. handles a team who is deeper albeit without as many elite hoopers. UCONN has already knocked off one team no one gave them a chance to in the Mighigan State Spartans. Boatright, Napier, and company won't go down without a fight. Great under appreciated game here.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 06:15 PM   #5
OrangeAndBlue217
Texas is about to get blown out.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 06:24 PM   #6
Illini70math
Let's be honest, Texas and USC are not very good at all this season. Maybe they will get it together at some point (let's hope so for RPI sake), but they have not been good so far.
Illini70math is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 06:28 PM   #7
zoggle101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illini70math View Post
Let's be honest, Texas and USC are not very good at all this season. Maybe they will get it together at some point (let's hope so for RPI sake), but they have not been good so far.
I'm thinking USC isn't going to turn into a bubble at large team but Texas has hope still with the promise of the possibility of Babongo becoming eligible. Woolridge must of quit the team at zUSC.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 06:42 PM   #8
OrangeAndBlue217
Texas needs all the help they can get. They are just not good. Being so young it can be expected so I would look for improvements in them big time next season. I am also not sold on GTown. Their offense is less than stellar. Hard to say how good their defense is just based on this game because Texas is horrible.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 07:05 PM   #9
zoggle101
I'm getting sick of hearing about oh much better Mason Plumlee is this year. Three year starter who was good enough to take plenty of minutes from big bro who came off the bench pretty much and was drafted He was an ACC contributor all four years.

I found out my answer on Jaylen Bond (injured), and Bilas voiced his opinion on the indecision from the NCAA with the Kabongo case.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 07:43 PM   #10
zoggle101
Missouri getting beat by the Southeast Missouri State RedHawks with 3 minutes to go in the first half.

Heck of a game going on with Arkansas and OU. Both of Hesse teams are legit bubble, fringe NCAA teams.

Wow, clear push in the back by Marshawn Powell. Looks like the Razorbacks will hold on.

Last edited by zoggle101; Dec 4, 2012 at 07:56 PM.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 09:25 PM   #11
SycIllini
NW up 15 on Baylor with 12:59 to go 2nd half.
SycIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 09:45 PM   #12
zoggle101
Wow, straight charge on NW but I'll take it because the B1G needs this W kind of. We have a bunch of quality wins out of conference but this would be icing on the cake.

Last edited by zoggle101; Dec 4, 2012 at 10:00 PM.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 09:49 PM   #13
trevdv
Baylor staging a comeback...

That Team Up State - 60
Baylor - 52
Old Dec 4, 2012, 10:01 PM   #14
Holdemall
Wow, truly pathetic home crowd in Waco. Baylor=football school, huh?
Holdemall is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 10:17 PM   #15
Holdemall
Christ, Olah serves no purpose whatsoever in this game! Pull him!!!!
Old Dec 4, 2012, 10:21 PM   #16
zoggle101
Pierre could of taken another dribble or two. I don't know what to think about either team but both are still in the fringe bubble category being top 40-60 teams.

It's over.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 10:24 PM   #17
trevdv
N'western wins over Baylor, 74-70. Baylor is somewhat of an anomaly; they win on the road against UK, then they put up a disappointing effort at home agains the Wildcats. Two bubble teams IMO.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 10:26 PM   #18
Holdemall
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoggle101 View Post
Pierre could of taken another dribble or two. I don't know what to think about either team but both are still in the fringe bubble category being top 40-60 teams.

It's over.
Carmody just boggles the mind sometimes. Olah stays in the game when the two things you need are ballhandling and free throw shooting. Took BC til the game was in seriously in doubt to realize that that was not a good idea.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 10:30 PM   #19
zoggle101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdemall View Post
Carmody just boggles the mind sometimes. Olah stays in the game when the two things you need are ballhandling and free throw shooting. Took BC til the game was in seriously in doubt to realize that that was not a good idea.
Turner and the two freshmen bigs are not good ft shooters but you have to go with the lesser of the evil plus they don't give up too much size that way. If Jershon Cobb was eligible I could see Coach Carmondy put Swopshire at the 5 with four guards. Maybe he did that but I didn't notice Alex Marcotulio in the game at the end. He gives you a guard with good handles and a Mmore than solid ft shooter.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 10:30 PM   #20
lstewart53x3
Quote:
N'western wins over Baylor, 74-70. Baylor is somewhat of an anomaly; they win on the road against UK, then they put up a disappointing effort at home agains the Wildcats. Two bubble teams IMO.
Maybe that's because Kentucky just isn't a very good team : ).
lstewart53x3 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 10:36 PM   #21
Holdemall
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoggle101 View Post
Turner and the two freshmen bigs are not good ft shooters but you have to go with the lesser of the evil plus they don't give up too much size that way. If Jershon Cobb was eligible I could see Coach Carmondy put Swopshire at the 5 with four guards. Maybe he did that but I didn't notice Alex Marcotulio in the game at the end. He gives you a guard with good handles and a Mmore than solid ft shooter.
Marcotulio was in after Hearn fouled out with about 3 mins left. Could have used Abramson (78% from the line) or even Turner (57%) before you use Olah who is one of the worst FT shooters in the country at 27%. The size was of little use to NW anyway.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 10:37 PM   #22
trevdv
East Carolina (a one-loss team) just dropped 111 on their opponent. Not sure who it was, just saw it on the ESPN Bottomline. That's more than the Miami Heat scored tonight. In less minutes, with much much much less talented players.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 10:39 PM   #23
SteakSandwich
Scott Drew is scum so i am happy for Northwestern
SteakSandwich is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 10:41 PM   #24
zoggle101
The East Carolina Pirates are lead by two transfers this year who didn't have great games tonight in Miguel Paul ( Missouri ), and Ty Armstrong ( Auburn ).

Did you like the freshman Abramson Hold? I didn't know Olah was that bad....
Old Dec 4, 2012, 10:43 PM   #25
DaytonIllini
Quote:
Baylor - Where talent goes to suck.

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »