Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > General > Track 5 Chat

Chinese Students at UIUC

Old Aug 1, 2014, 12:30 PM   #1
illinicb
Interesting article in the Tribune on the number of Chinese students at UIUC. Link below, but I'm not sure anyone can access it if you don't have a subscription. Sorry if that is the case.

Nearly 1 in 10 freshmen at U. of I. this fall are from China

Old Aug 1, 2014, 06:58 PM   #2
FeelYourPaign
OK, I can't read the story, but I can read the headline.
Nearly 1 in 10 !
That is shocking !
FeelYourPaign is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2014, 07:39 PM   #3
blmillini
When your state is in as bad a financial position as our state is you have to make up for the lack of state funding in some way. Maximizing the number of out of state students goes a long way toward doing just that.
blmillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2014, 07:46 PM   #4
Bob Christiansen
Location: Phi Kappa Psi, 4th & Chalmers, a few years ago...Now? Weeki Wachee, FL
Imagine the number of Iranian students in my day! '78-'80. Even my Engineering Drawing TA was Iranian, Nalin Patadia...

Yes, I do remember his name, he actually called roll. And with a name like Christiansen, well, you can imagine the pronunciation...

Old Aug 1, 2014, 08:53 PM   #5
Fuhgedaboudit
That's crazy.. they come over here for Education and then run back to China. Then make millions for there country
Fuhgedaboudit is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2014, 07:31 AM   #6
illinicb
But they probably know the proper use of there versus their.

I'm not sure it is a problem, but are you suggesting UIUC should limit foreign born students?

Old Aug 2, 2014, 09:54 AM   #7
wpr
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinicb View Post

I'm not sure it is a problem, but are you suggesting UIUC should limit foreign born students?

For inquiring minds if google got it right it would be:

那裡 vs 他們的
wpr is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2014, 10:01 AM   #8
IlliniJim20
Quote:
Originally Posted by blmillini View Post
When your state is in as bad a financial position as our state is you have to make up for the lack of state funding in some way. Maximizing the number of out of state students goes a long way toward doing just that.
My initial reaction as well
IlliniJim20 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2014, 10:16 AM   #9
Kams Bathroom
Banned
For those who can read the article, did it give a breakdown of what colleges the Chinese students were enrolled it?
Kams Bathroom is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2014, 06:32 PM   #10
MuckFichigan
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kams Bathroom View Post
For those who can read the article, did it give a breakdown of what colleges the Chinese students were enrolled it?
Same majors that Asian Americans, Indians, Asians were when I attended in the the early aughts (at the time they represented 15-18% of the students)Engineering, Science, Math, CS, with the others in a major in business.
MuckFichigan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2014, 09:22 PM   #11
blmillini
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinicb View Post

You can't blame the university for maximizing their revenue stream and student profile. It is sad but most research universities like the University of Illinois financially exploit most of the undergraduate students anyway. Why not do so to foreign students?
Old Aug 3, 2014, 11:20 AM   #12
GilThorpe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kams Bathroom View Post
I doubt it did, but we can safely guess its
1.Engineering
2.Engineering
3.Engineering
4.Engineering
5.Physics
6.Comp Science
7.Math
8 Chemistry
99. English Lit
100. History
GilThorpe is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2014, 11:27 AM   #13
DaytonIllini
We live in a global world. I like to compartmentalize things into 'us' and 'them' but the 'us' is really the global citizen now. Sure we have borders and walls and men with guns on those walls. I'm not advocating a borderless world or any nonsense like that. But I do believe that an educated and prosperous world is far less likely to head to war than a poor one.

Having these students at our university does many positive things. It means that we have a smarter, more talented student body. It means that our kid's tuitions are lower than they would be if you replaced these foreign students with Illinois students. It means that the knowledge and know-how that our school is renowned for will continue to permeate to lands that are not wealthy. Hopefully that will reduce poverty, starvation, disease, and deprivation. Who knows? Maybe one day one of us will be saved by some technology created by these hard-working, bright, young men and women.

Old Aug 3, 2014, 01:40 PM   #14
Ransom Stoddard
Ordained Dudeist Priest
Quote:
Originally Posted by GilThorpe View Post
I doubt it did, but we can safely guess its
1.Engineering
2.Engineering
3.Engineering
4.Engineering
5.Physics
6.Comp Science
7.Math
8 Chemistry
99. English Lit
100. History
I also have not read it, but I wouldn't be shocked to find Business right up there. Chinese kids are going to Western business schools by the thousands, and there are "Western-style" business schools beginning to pop up in Asia. The National University of Singapore is but one example, and they hire a lot or American and European faculty.

Old Aug 3, 2014, 01:41 PM   #15
IanKEvans2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonIllini View Post
We live in a global world. I like to compartmentalize things into 'us' and 'them' but the 'us' is really the global citizen now. Sure we have borders and walls and men with guns on those walls. I'm not advocating a borderless world or any nonsense like that. But I do believe that an educated and prosperous world is far less likely to head to war than a poor one.

Having these students at our university does many positive things. It means that we have a smarter, more talented student body. It means that our kid's tuitions are lower than they would be if you replaced these foreign students with Illinois students. It means that the knowledge and know-how that our school is renowned for will continue to permeate to lands that are not wealthy. Hopefully that will reduce poverty, starvation, disease, and deprivation. Who knows? Maybe one day one of us will be saved by some technology created by these hard-working, bright, young men and women.
Very well said, Dayton.

Old Aug 3, 2014, 03:00 PM   #16
blmillini
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonIllini View Post

If lower tuition is truly a side effect, it is very sad that the University of Illinois has the highest in-state tuition of any state school in the country, at least the last time I checked.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 03:54 PM   #17
GilThorpe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransom Stoddard View Post
I also have not read it, but I wouldn't be shocked to find Business right up there. Chinese kids are going to Western business schools by the thousands, and there are "Western-style" business schools beginning to pop up in Asia. The National University of Singapore is but one example, and they hire a lot or American and European faculty.
no doubt it is, but I would wager the 5 areas of study I listed are all more popular. You can learn world class business at many schools, world class engineering and hard sciences, not as much.
GilThorpe is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2014, 09:33 PM   #18
Ransom Stoddard
Ordained Dudeist Priest
Quote:
Originally Posted by blmillini View Post
If lower tuition is truly a side effect, it is very sad that the University of Illinois has the highest in-state tuition of any state school in the country, at least the last time I checked.
#8, if the numbers in this article are correct.

http://www.businessinsider.com/most-...rsities-2014-7

I wouldn't rate very many of the 7 more expensive schools as academic equals to UIUC.

Old Aug 3, 2014, 09:46 PM   #19
ijustkrushalot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuhgedaboudit View Post
That's crazy.. they come over here for Education and then run back to China. Then make millions for there country
god forbid this country export something.

Education seems to be one of the things we're elite in.

besides that it's pretty much corn and fighter jets.

Illinoisan Out Wandering Around
ijustkrushalot is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2014, 09:57 PM   #20
blmillini
Quote:

I wouldn't rate very many of the 7 more expensive schools as academic equals to UIUC.
I was quite surprised to see the tuition number that low until I looked at the official numbers. While the base number is pretty low, the premier programs charge a fairly significant premium to that base number, more so than some of the other schools on the list. I think the tuition is more a reflection of our state than the university. No doubt it is a great place to get a degree.

I think the last time I looked was 4 years ago when my daughter was making her decision. I will be doing so again this next year as my son gets ready for that next step, although I don't think he will pick Illinois either.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 11:19 PM   #21
DaytonIllini
Quote:

PennState? Depending on the metric can be ranked above Illinois.

Pitt and ColoradoSOM are pretty darn good as well though not quite UIUC.

Old Aug 3, 2014, 11:20 PM   #22
DaytonIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijustkrushalot View Post
god forbid this country export something.

Education seems to be one of the things we're elite in.

besides that it's pretty much corn and fighter jets.
And medical care.

Old Aug 4, 2014, 10:44 AM   #23
Apollo88
As an ECE major I can attest to many situations were a large portion of foreign students can be challenging. For one, all major classes have lab projects in groups that require lots of time. Even communicating on when to meet can be a major hassle. Syncing up over email is impossible. It is a disadvantage when it comes to to grading a team's work.

I had a couple bad experiences with foreign students who were given TA positions. They couldn't speak very much English and their chalkboard work was supplemented by an Asian language I couldn't pick out.

I know it is important to the cmapus and I am proud that we have "more international students than any other American public university", but something needs to be added to help the mesh with American students. Especially in the technical degrees where English communication isn't necessary correlated to your personal academic success.
Apollo88 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2014, 11:37 AM   #24
illinicb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo88 View Post
As an ECE major I can attest to many situations were a large portion of foreign students can be challenging. For one, all major classes have lab projects in groups that require lots of time. Even communicating on when to meet can be a major hassle. Syncing up over email is impossible. It is a disadvantage when it comes to to grading a team's work.

I had a couple bad experiences with foreign students who were given TA positions. They couldn't speak very much English and their chalkboard work was supplemented by an Asian language I couldn't pick out.

I know it is important to the cmapus and I am proud that we have "more international students than any other American public university", but something needs to be added to help the mesh with American students. Especially in the technical degrees where English communication isn't necessary correlated to your personal academic success.
I had a recent discussion with my kids and Ex about my Stats 123 (too long ago to be certain) and how I had a TA whose primary language was not English. He spoke with a VERY heavy accent requiring me to "translate" what he said into English and then work on the content. I think there were six of us that did not drop the class. I assume I did OK in the class, but I do recall what a struggle it was.

Old Aug 4, 2014, 11:44 AM   #25
wpr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo88 View Post

I was going to kid and say you need to get a Stark Trek Universal translator.

I was dumbfounded when I read the story that went with the photo.

Quote:
At an event in China, Microsoft Research chief Rick Rashid has demonstrated a real-time English-to-Mandarin speech-to-speech translation engine. Not only is the translation very accurate, but the software also preserves the user’s accent and intonation. We’re not just talking about a digitized, robotic translator here — this is firmly within the realms of Doctor Who or Star Trek universal translation.

rest of story

I looked at the date this was posted and see it is almost 2 years ago.
wpr is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | General Chat | Next Thread »