Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Purdue freshman Jay Simpson will miss rest of season

Old Dec 18, 2012, 04:03 PM   #1
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Purdue freshman forward Jay Simpson, still suffering from the effects of a foot injury, will be sidelined for the rest of the 2012-2013 season and will be eligible to seek a medical redshirt hardship waiver.

Simpson suffered a broken foot in the spring and has struggled to get into playing shape. He averaged 2.6 points and 2.3 rebounds through the Boilermakersí first 10 games.

http://www.jconline.com/article/2012...12-2013-season
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 04:59 PM   #2
jackman404
Banned
10 games into the season seems like a few too many games to seek a medical redshirt to me.
jackman404 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:06 PM   #3
combes
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackman404 View Post
10 games into the season seems like a few too many games to seek a medical redshirt to me.
The medical redshirt rule is 30% of the beginning of the season. Considering that they probably have 32 scheduled games plus the BT tourney counts as one game, he probably just slips in under the wire.
combes is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:07 PM   #4
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackman404 View Post
No, it's exactly the max you can play and still qualify. It's no coincidence that Simpson and Crawford at Northwestern both shut it down right after that 10th game.
WesterveltVictoryCigar is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 07:28 PM   #5
MTILLINOIS
It sucks. I've been very interested in seeing how Jay plays. He committed early to Purdue in our back yard but never really seem to blow up in a weak 2014 class. I wish him a healthy recovery.
MTILLINOIS is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 07:43 PM   #6
gibb52
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesterveltVictoryCigar View Post
No, it's exactly the max you can play and still qualify. It's no coincidence that Simpson and Crawford at Northwestern both shut it down right after that 10th game.
Did not know that. Thanks for the info WVC.
gibb52 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 08:13 PM   #7
BP3
It is a shame. Jay is someone that I really wished Weber recruited. Love those hometown boys.
BP3 is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »