Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Football

Walk-on tryout informational meeting set for January 14

Old Dec 21, 2012, 07:50 AM   #1
Dan
Admin
Quote:
University of Illinois students interested in joining the Fighting Illini football team should attend an informational meeting at 2 p.m. on Monday, January 14th, in the squad room, which is located on the lower level of the football complex in the northeast tower of Memorial Stadium. Members of head coach Tim Beckman's staff will provide those in attendance with the materials and information they need to walk on the Illini squad. If you have any questions on the meeting, please contact Coach Mike Bellamy at mbellamy@illinois.edu.

http://www.fightingillini.com/sports...122112aaa.html
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 08:02 AM   #2
GilThorpe
this got me to thinking

who have been some of our walk ons the past 25 years that were real solid contributors to the team on Saturday afternoons?
GilThorpe is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 08:04 AM   #3
quhawks12
Quote:
Originally Posted by GilThorpe View Post
this got me to thinking

who have been some of our walk ons the past 25 years that were real solid contributors to the team on Saturday afternoons?
*crickets*
quhawks12 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 08:31 AM   #4
bleed orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by quhawks12 View Post
*crickets*
I sure hope you can come up with some names. Real programs seem to find them every year. I am a huge believer in it. Bad programs pass by walkons and dont give them fair shake cuz nobody wanted to offer them. Lets face it most walkons are either to slow, cant find the ball, have bodies like animals and just cant play, have ton of speed but fall down. something is missing to play big time football. More than you think guys are overlooked or just poorly recruited and are diamonds. As you know I love this Bonahoom kid and believe he is a major contributor one day. Has too much speed and great ball skills to be buried on depth chart.

My point is that a mark of a good program is that sometimes when a kid gets money to go to a mac or a eastern illinois for example and turns it down to walkon to illinois to follow dream of playing in the big ten those kids must be evaluated hard and given oportunties to shine. Surely once in a while you will find one of those type of kids who end up motivting an entire football team. I am just making that scenario up as an example. Could be a kid from illinois suburbs. Their hearts are enomorous and those kids make plays when it counts. These kids sometimes end up having more heart than a lazy 5 star recruit. Of course we have to recruit great kids who play the game with passion. All I am saying is illini program has long way to go because you just dont hear these stories alot. The draw to come to illinois has to improve. I have felt that way for years.. Illinois kids growing up to play Illini football just is not there. I always wondered how do you improve that instate loyalty and desire. I know the answer its called winning and playing in real bowl games. The state is waiting and the guy who does it and puts program on the map nationally would be a folk hero.
bleed orange is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 08:42 AM   #5
chiefini
Although he was recruited by Zook, I'm pretty sure Derek Dimke was a preferred walk on his freshman year.

‎"There is an uncommon spirit known only by those who call themselves Illini...It is a dignified spirit portrayed by the Chief. It is a spirit of orange and blue blood and of the young and the old. Once it enters your veins, you will never be the same again." Illini Spirit William Branom, '54 (1932-2012)
chiefini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 08:46 AM   #6
quhawks12
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefini View Post
Although he was recruited by Zook, I'm pretty sure Derek Dimke was a preferred walk on his freshman year.
Most kickers are.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 08:50 AM   #7
bleed orange
Quote:
Most kickers are.
Very true.. That is the trend...bring in the best kickers you can find. let them compete and the winner is rewarded. That is the life of a kicker unless you are one of best in country coming out....
Old Dec 21, 2012, 09:20 AM   #8
AHSIllini32
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleed orange View Post
I sure hope you can come up with some names. Real programs seem to find them every year. I am a huge believer in it. Bad programs pass by walkons and dont give them fair shake cuz nobody wanted to offer them. Lets face it most walkons are either to slow, cant find the ball, have bodies like animals and just cant play, have ton of speed but fall down. something is missing to play big time football. More than you think guys are overlooked or just poorly recruited and are diamonds. As you know I love this Bonahoom kid and believe he is a major contributor one day. Has too much speed and great ball skills to be buried on depth chart.

My point is that a mark of a good program is that sometimes when a kid gets money to go to a mac or a eastern illinois for example and turns it down to walkon to illinois to follow dream of playing in the big ten those kids must be evaluated hard and given oportunties to shine. Surely once in a while you will find one of those type of kids who end up motivting an entire football team. I am just making that scenario up as an example. Could be a kid from illinois suburbs. Their hearts are enomorous and those kids make plays when it counts. These kids sometimes end up having more heart than a lazy 5 star recruit. Of course we have to recruit great kids who play the game with passion. All I am saying is illini program has long way to go because you just dont hear these stories alot. The draw to come to illinois has to improve. I have felt that way for years.. Illinois kids growing up to play Illini football just is not there. I always wondered how do you improve that instate loyalty and desire. I know the answer its called winning and playing in real bowl games. The state is waiting and the guy who does it and puts program on the map nationally would be a folk hero.
The reason we are not a "real program" is more certainly not because we haven't had a walk on make it yet.

It's not like we don't take walk ons. We do. We just haven't had one produce significantly yet. It doesn't really mean one thing or another.
AHSIllini32 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 09:26 AM   #9
quhawks12
Quote:
My point is that a mark of a good program is that sometimes when a kid gets money to go to a mac or a eastern illinois for example and turns it down to walkon to illinois to follow dream of playing in the big ten
We have at least one now I think. Austin Abner turned down a couple of D1 offers if i remember correctly?
Old Dec 21, 2012, 09:27 AM   #10
quhawks12
Quote:
As you know I love this Bonahoom kid and believe he is a major contributor one day.
Oh we know!
Old Dec 21, 2012, 09:53 AM   #11
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by GilThorpe View Post
this got me to thinking

Greg Lewis. He didn't even try out for football his freshman year at Illinois, but was starting as a "redshirt" sophomore walk on WR (1999). He was undrafted out of college, but played 8 years in the NFL.

Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:07 AM   #12
OrangeandBlue33
Wasn't Howard Griffith a walk-on?
OrangeandBlue33 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:25 AM   #13
Groundhogday
David Lindquist, a starting DT on the 2007 Rose Bowl team, came to Illinois as a walk on.

Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:45 AM   #14
CaliforniaIllini
I remember reading an article about how Wisconsin regularly sends walk ons to the NFL
CaliforniaIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:03 AM   #15
bleed orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHSIllini32 View Post
The reason we are not a "real program" is more certainly not because we haven't had a walk on make it yet.

It's not like we don't take walk ons. We do. We just haven't had one produce significantly yet. It doesn't really mean one thing or another.
The premise behind my post it that its not a real program becasue instate kids who are players dont care if they stay home and play. I am saying that having no walk ons produce is a big sign of the ultimate problem... not having a walk on make it is ridiculous. Sometimes they are passed by becasue we are so busy looking trying to reward a kid who does not derserve it just becasue they were highly recruited coming out. Illini gets blinded by talent and sometimes the talent stirs the ship
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:04 AM   #16
AngryOrange
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
David Lindquist, a starting DT on the 2007 Rose Bowl team, came to Illinois as a walk on.
Josh Norris who was a DT before Lindquist was as well.
AngryOrange is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:05 AM   #17
bleed orange
Quote:
Oh we know!
so funny... get yourself a bonahoom jersey when he blows up in the media and is a captain in 2015...
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:14 AM   #18
bleed orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaIllini View Post
I remember reading an article about how Wisconsin regularly sends walk ons to the NFL
Its a great article... read it. google wisconsin top walkons and you will see it. Its a sign of an established program. Kids would rather walk on at wisconsin then sometimes go free to a smaller school or if unrecruited wisconsin gives them opportunties to be evaluated. wisconsin coaches starting with barry always stated that the W on your helmet gives you an opportunity to play wisconsin football. from walkons to the scholarship athletes. no politics just performance. Illini has not had guts to make changes anywhere especially in 2012.....marshall said it best from the bears. time for people to start to realize that your job is on the line. that is the mentality this team needs. no position is safe no matter whom you are. I believe that is how 2012 should have began....certain players were annointed for past perfomance. hopefully those days are over or we will struggle in big ten for the fourth year in a row.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:16 AM   #19
bleed orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
great example. kid played with courage..

Last edited by bleed orange; Dec 21, 2012 at 11:17 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:44 AM   #20
AHSIllini32
Banned
Quote:
The premise behind my post it that its not a real program becasue instate kids who are players dont care if they stay home and play. I am saying that having no walk ons produce is a big sign of the ultimate problem... not having a walk on make it is ridiculous. Sometimes they are passed by becasue we are so busy looking trying to reward a kid who does not derserve it just becasue they were highly recruited coming out. Illini gets blinded by talent and sometimes the talent stirs the ship
No, it isn't for reasons already discussed.
AHSIllini32 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:53 AM   #21
bleed orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHSIllini32 View Post
No, it isn't for reasons already discussed.
Well I disagree for reasons already discussed....When you have walk ons emerging and coaches calling from all over the county to get their player prefered or walk on in general its a sign a place kids want to be.

Last edited by Dan; Dec 21, 2012 at 01:13 PM.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:03 PM   #22
champaignchris
Wasn't Johnny Johnson a walk-on?
champaignchris is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 01:20 PM   #23
quhawks12
Quote:
Well I disagree for reasons already discussed....When you have walk ons emerging and coaches calling from all over the county to get their player prefered or walk on in general its a sign a place kids want to be.
That happens now. Here. A lot.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 01:22 PM   #24
quhawks12
Quote:
so funny... get yourself a bonahoom jersey when he blows up in the media and is a captain in 2015...
I told you I am rooting like hell for him! We need a WR to step up. So, I will wear that jersey when he does...happily! And I'll post a picture too! I might do it anyway if we just start winning games!
Old Dec 21, 2012, 08:31 PM   #25
Paignt It Orange
Wasn't Zach Becker a walk on? Before his injuries, he was pretty solid.

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Football | Next Thread »