Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Wildcat Coal Lodge

Old Dec 25, 2012, 10:28 AM   #1
Joel Goodson
Coffee is for closers!
Can someone (anyone?, Bueller!) explain how Kentucky is able to get away with this?:

- http://ukcc.uky.edu/cgi-bin/dynamo?maps.391+campus+0644
- http://www.coachcal.com/16170/2012/0...rd-in-housing/
- ad naseum (I'll leave the searching to you)

It's not so much the "student" rooms, but the common areas. How this isn't an additional benefit, I have no clue. Where is the NCAA? (snark encouraged)

Last edited by Joel Goodson; Dec 25, 2012 at 10:32 AM.
Joel Goodson is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 01:04 PM   #2
illini ri0t
Banned
Just makes me sick... All the UK fans are SO proud... That they are the only program that deserves such a facility. Makes me want to puke.
illini ri0t is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 02:32 PM   #3
Indicchief
Banned
Remove all the fluff (trophies, posters, TVs for BB players, etc) and it is not much more than most new housing facilities on good campuses.

My kid has a room like that at a brand new 1000 unit dorm at NIU, DeKalb, IL. Two kids share a shower, etc. No rec room as far as I know, but the lounge is close enough (larger and more TVs, but less plush seating). No free drinks or food on-demand, but he has a meal plan with unlimited food when the kitchen is open.

Besides what is preventing other schools to build such facilities (for all kids)?

As long as the school offers other kids the same kind of facilities it should not matter.
Indicchief is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 02:32 PM   #4
Go Illini
Actually, I am not even sure that is a recruiting advantage. If I was an athlete, I'd rather live on a co-ed floor with the ladies. Six pack, here I come!
Go Illini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 02:38 PM   #5
IlliniFan1988
Banned
Sickening. Do "OTHER" students get access to these "amenities" (free beverages 24/7 for example) or is it for the "boys"? Cal is thumbing his nose at the NCAA as is the rest of BBN. Disgusting.
IlliniFan1988 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 02:40 PM   #6
IlliniSteve
Banned
Not a big deal...imo
IlliniSteve is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 02:43 PM   #7
popejackson
Banned
A big F-U to the NCAA.
popejackson is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 03:07 PM   #8
illinisc
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniFan1988 View Post
Sickening. Do "OTHER" students get access to these "amenities" (free beverages 24/7 for example) or is it for the "boys"? Cal is thumbing his nose at the NCAA as is the rest of BBN. Disgusting.
Yea, they have to allocate at least 50% of the rooms to normal students.
illinisc is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 03:36 PM   #9
drillini
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinisc View Post
By "normal students" we are probably talking about pals of the basketball players. I doubt if it is a random group of regular students. A nice recruiting advantage to say that a buddy could go to school with the bball player and room with him.
drillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 03:37 PM   #10
HsvIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinisc View Post
Couldn't find what their definition of "normal" is, but I'm guessing it's pretty different than mine...
HsvIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 04:13 PM   #11
hooraybeer
the "extra" rooms are more than likely allocated to kids of donors of the program, buddies of the players, and co-eds evaluated on a 1-10 scale. 8+ only and must like to party.

Old Dec 25, 2012, 08:56 PM   #12
PGHillini11
Ok, if we all play the lottery and one of us wins the jackpot, then we have to promise to donate it to Illinois so they can build one of these.
PGHillini11 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 09:15 PM   #13
Joel Goodson
Coffee is for closers!
My beef with this isn't the dorm rooms. Sure, they're nice, but newer dorms are a whole lot different than they were in my heyday ('77-'81). The community areas (e.g., lounge) are where my problem lies. How the eff can they get away w/this?

Back when Barry Switzer was running the show at OU, they had a player dorm, replete w/all sorts of extras. Eventually, the NCAA shut that kind of thing down.

I get that select regular students will reside there, but still...
Joel Goodson is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 11:30 PM   #14
DaytonIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Goodson View Post
My beef with this isn't the dorm rooms. Sure, they're nice, but newer dorms are a whole lot different than they were in my heyday ('77-'81). The community areas (e.g., lounge) are where my problem lies. How the eff can they get away w/this?

Back when Barry Switzer was running the show at OU, they had a player dorm, replete w/all sorts of extras. Eventually, the NCAA shut that kind of thing down.

I get that select regular students will reside there, but still...
What do they have? At Bromley, where most (many) of the athletes lived in the 80's we had a huge indoor swimming pool, a big screen TV (that was rare back then), a couple pool tables and a couple video games. At Illini Tower I believe they had pool tables in the basement, a lounge on every floor, and an outdoor swimming pool. I think the BB team lived there last year.

The free drinks and stuff 24/7 seems a bit rich but I think scholarship athletes are allowed some additional leeway with regards to food. Don't walk-ons have to eat separately or something like that?

Old Dec 26, 2012, 01:39 AM   #15
IlliniSpine
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonIllini View Post
What do they have? At Bromley, where most (many) of the athletes lived in the 80's we had a huge indoor swimming pool, a big screen TV (that was rare back then), a couple pool tables and a couple video games. At Illini Tower I believe they had pool tables in the basement, a lounge on every floor, and an outdoor swimming pool. I think the BB team lived there last year.

The free drinks and stuff 24/7 seems a bit rich but I think scholarship athletes are allowed some additional leeway with regards to food. Don't walk-ons have to eat separately or something like that?
I lived at Bromley (private dorm) as well in the late 90's and it was nice but worst food on campus (can't have it all)! Had to work to pay the extra cost versus the six pack/other campus dorms but was worth it for the extra space and amenities. Maybe those students that live at the UK facility have to do the same.
IlliniSpine is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:08 AM   #16
zhawks
Here's the thing we know: Cal did it. So therefore at best it's in the gray area of the rulebook.

The things I see about it:

Great tool to use against those "other students" that live there to try and get mommy and daddy (and eventually the kid) to become a (bigger) booster.

The "extra benefits" won't get a look from the NCAA and I don't think they should either. They've got bigger fish to fry. IF Cal is cheating now (I know saying this isn't popular but...), this likely won't turn up anything as it was mostly privately donated and we know Cal keeps things at arms reach, and the NCAA doesn't have the power of subpoena. But Cal doesn't NEED to cheat to win anymore... he has everything he ever needed to land top 5 classes and compete for every national title. All without cheating.

Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:19 AM   #17
RichBradIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooraybeer View Post
the "extra" rooms are more than likely allocated to kids of donors of the program, buddies of the players, and co-eds evaluated on a 1-10 scale. 8+ only and must like to party.
Here's how suspicious I am...it's a one-stop shop for all the "help" needed for tests, essays and assignments contained and controlled within.
RichBradIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 12:09 PM   #18
illinisc
I don't see what the big deal is. Its not like this type of living situation for athletes is only available to Kentucky. Any school with the resources can do this if they wanted to. It's well within the NCAA rules.
illinisc is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:49 PM   #19
BossStatus
A video of UK's new locker room

One thing I find interesting is that, in contrast with the dorm displays, the locker rooms only highlight last year's championship. I know the locker room floorboards can be changed out, but as of now there's no evidence of anything B.C. (Before Cal).
BossStatus is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:43 AM   #20
saleen970
They do the same at Memphis, If it fits the NCAA rules I dont know why a school would not do this. Definetly a recruiting tool.

Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:47 AM   #21
SteakSandwich
The only thing i can say that i like about Kentucky and Indiana is that they put basketball first. For some reason people on here think that we are this sleeping giant in football, that's a joke! Time to get real and realize basketball needs to be the priority.
SteakSandwich is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:13 AM   #22
sapan1030
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by BossStatus View Post
A video of UK's new locker room

One thing I find interesting is that, in contrast with the dorm displays, the locker rooms only highlight last year's championship. I know the locker room floorboards can be changed out, but as of now there's no evidence of anything B.C. (Before Cal).
That locker room is incredible. THAT is how you woo recruits and fans. The wall of NBA players was pretty impressive too. The fact that they bought the actual floor where the won the national championship and made it a part of their facility is just mind blowing. It looks awesome

Last edited by sapan1030; Dec 27, 2012 at 09:17 AM.
sapan1030 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:38 AM   #23
cali illini
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapan1030 View Post
That locker room is incredible. THAT is how you woo recruits and fans. The wall of NBA players was pretty impressive too. The fact that they bought the actual floor where the won the national championship and made it a part of their facility is just mind blowing. It looks awesome
I have to agree its very impressive and more power to them if they can provide this for players. Very cool!!
cali illini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:57 AM   #24
HsvIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapan1030 View Post
Wow. Very very nice.
HsvIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:44 AM   #25
DaytonIllini
Cal is kind of creepy.

'Each of them...has a nice little.....rooooobe.'

'I will tell you....players have changed. They don't like showering together. I don't know why.'

'Now. We MAKE them shower. You must go in the shower and shower your body off.'

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »