Tracy Abrams named Big Ten Player of the Week

Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:58 AM   #1
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Player of the Week
Tracy Abrams, Illinois
G 6-1 So. Chicago, Ill. Mount Carmel

Posted career highs with 27 points and eight rebounds to lead Illinois to an 81-79 win over Auburn at the United Center in Chicago
Tallied game highs of five assists and four steals
Played all 35 of his minutes at the point with only one turnover
Earns his first career Player of the Week honor
Last Illinois Player of the Week: Brandon Paul (Dec. 10, 2012)

http://www.bigten.org/sports/m-baskb...123112aaa.html
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:02 AM   #2
ericac
Banned
TA a big reason for this years early success, congrats
ericac is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:15 AM   #3
kingmal
Banned
I thought Tracy had 29 points
kingmal is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:17 AM   #4
lstewart53x3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmal View Post
I thought Tracy had 29 points
The ESPN box score was wrong lol.

Congrats TA! You deserve this.
lstewart53x3 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:28 AM   #5
hometeam
Well earned. Love when TA pounds that ball into the floor. He's a tough dude!
hometeam is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:36 AM   #6
Symmooth
Quote:
Originally Posted by lstewart53x3 View Post
The ESPN box score was wrong lol.

Congrats TA! You deserve this.
Yahoo had 29 in their headline also for most of the day on Sat. :laugh:

I expected TA to be better this year, but deeammnn!
I guess Groce actually knew what he was doing early on benching him at times.

Congrats TA, and keep playing aggressive, please.

Last edited by Symmooth; Dec 31, 2012 at 10:41 AM.
Symmooth is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:43 AM   #7
lstewart53x3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Symmooth View Post
Yahoo had 29 in their headline also for most of the day on Sat. :laugh:

I expected TA to be better this year, but deeammnn!
I guess Groce actually knew what he was doing early on benching him at times.

Congrats TA, and keep playing aggressive, please.
Agreed. Agreed. Agreed!
lstewart53x3 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:44 AM   #8
hermie1985
Congrats TA. Let's take it to the B1G!!
hermie1985 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:40 AM   #9
Groundhogday
I don't expect TA to score 27 points a game, but if can remain aggressive with the ball that would really help balance out our dependence upon Paul.

Old Dec 31, 2012, 01:26 PM   #10
HeartofaChampion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
I don't expect TA to score 27 points a game, but if can remain aggressive with the ball that would really help balance out our dependence upon Paul.
As long as defenses extend out beyond the arc to contain our 3-pt attack, he should have a lot of room to drive.
HeartofaChampion is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:20 PM   #11
Trifecta23
Everyone complains about his shooting, but his field goal% is higher than BP now and his ft % are basically the same.
Trifecta23 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:32 PM   #12
blmillini
TA showed much more quickness with the ball in that game than he has ever shown before. If we can get him, BP, DJ and JB all taking the ball to the hoop in that way, we are going to open things up a bit more. We could use a little help from the bigs but at least it is an option to counter teams trying to take away the 3 from us.
blmillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 08:32 AM   #13
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trifecta23 View Post
Everyone complains about his shooting, but his field goal% is higher than BP now and his ft % are basically the same.
Player____3P%____2P%
Paul____36.5%__50.6%
Abrams__29.8%__51.1%

Abrams has a slightly higher shooting % overall because he takes fewer shots from the arc (33% of his shots vs. 52% for Paul) and (b) he has a slightly higher % on layups.

Paul is clearly the better outside shooter, though his 3 point shooting has really dropped off.

Old Jan 1, 2013, 09:46 AM   #14
Trifecta23
Quote:
Player____3P%____2P%
Paul____36.5%__50.6%
Abrams__29.8%__51.1%

Abrams has a slightly higher shooting % overall because he takes fewer shots from the arc (33% of his shots vs. 52% for Paul) and (b) he has a slightly higher % on layups.

Paul is clearly the better outside shooter, though his 3 point shooting has really dropped off.

True, for every 18 shots from the 3 BP makes one more... Still not the disparity people would like to think.

Last edited by Trifecta23; Jan 1, 2013 at 09:49 AM.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 11:47 AM   #15
TEYPAY
or you could say BP shoots 22% better from distance.....
TEYPAY is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 12:15 PM   #16
Ransom Stoddard
Ordained Dudeist Priest
Tracy's the big surprise for me this year, and I think his play is central to the success of the team.

A great honor for him, and hopefully one of many more to come.

Ransom Stoddard is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 12:22 PM   #17
HeartofaChampion
Quote:
Player____3P%____2P%
Paul____36.5%__50.6%
Abrams__29.8%__51.1%

BP's love affair with the 3 needs to end. Someone with his ability to attack the paint and create his own shot should not be shooting 52 pct of his shots from beyond the arc. I know he was hitting his 3s more consistently early in the year, but a guy with his skill set and athleticism should be using his greatest strengths more often. Too often he likes to settle for the easy route, this being the long jumper. Plus he's been getting back into his old habit of fading backwards on his jump shot lately. Hopefully he corrects both these things starting Wed.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 12:29 PM   #18
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Well, BP is 2nd in the conference and 16th nationally in FTA, so he is doing more than just shooting 3s.
WesterveltVictoryCigar is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 12:42 PM   #19
HeartofaChampion
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesterveltVictoryCigar View Post
Well, BP is 2nd in the conference and 16th nationally in FTA, so he is doing more than just shooting 3s.
In UI's last 4 games, 28 of his 54 shots were from 3, and he shot 25% from 3 over that stretch. That's too high of a ratio of 3s to 2s for a guy whose main responsibility on O in JG's system is to penetrate and create for himself and others, imo. And a lot of his 3s of late have either been contested, 3-5 feet beyond the arc or not in rhythm.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 12:49 PM   #20
PillPusherSTL
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartofaChampion View Post
In UI's last 4 games, 28 of his 54 shots were from 3, and he shot 25% from 3 over that stretch. That's too high of a ratio of 3s to 2s for a guy whose main responsibility on O in JG's system is to penetrate and create for himself and others, imo. And a lot of his 3s of late have either been contested, 3-5 feet beyond the arc or not in rhythm.
+1. He's taken a lot of bad 3's the past few games
PillPusherSTL is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 12:50 PM   #21
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Quote:
I get what you're saying and he definitely settled for a some bad 3s in the Mizzou game. However, he also has 36 FTA in those 4 games (47 in the last 5 games) and remember that if you're fouled on a 2 point attempt, it doesn't count as a FGA unless you make it. So there are probably some 2 point attempts not included in his FGA numbers. The high FTA numbers indicate to me that he is attacking the basket and penetrating. This is what we want, free throws and 3 pointers, less 17' jump shots that were favored by the previous coach.

I'm also in agreement with those suggesting he may be a bit dinged up the past few games and that may lead to more 3 point attempts.
WesterveltVictoryCigar is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 01:01 PM   #22
Trifecta23
Could TA be a 4 time mvp for UI?
Old Jan 1, 2013, 01:03 PM   #23
HeartofaChampion
Quote:
Originally Posted by PillPusherSTL View Post
+1. He's taken a lot of bad 3's the past few games
Judging solely by the eye test, I can't remember many open 3s he's taken in rhythm the last 4 games. Most were off the dribble, fading, some contested, some well beyond the arc. The old BP returned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesterveltVictoryCigar View Post
I get what you're saying and he definitely settled for a some bad 3s in the Mizzou game. However, he also has 36 FTA in those 4 games (47 in the last 5 games) and remember that if you're fouled on a 2 point attempt, it doesn't count as a FGA unless you make it. So there are probably some 2 point attempts not included in his FGA numbers. The high FTA numbers indicate to me that he is attacking the basket and penetrating. This is what we want, free throws and 3 pointers, less 17' jump shots that were favored by the previous coach.

I'm also in agreement with those suggesting he may be a bit dinged up the past few games and that may lead to more 3 point attempts.
My guess is you're right that being banged up is the primary reason for the overreliance on 3s lately along with his success from 3 against Gonzaga. Last year's 3-pt barrage vs. OSU seemed to convince him to rely more on the 3 after that game, and I wonder if the same is happening now. Hopefully he heals up some by tomorrow and gets good instruction from JG and JW on refocusing his offensive mindset. He's a high-usage guy in our O, so he's going to get more opportunities than most to take volumes of shots and make plays.

I know in past years he became known on the team as a guy who didn't like contact and who would fade away or shy away from defenders when he drove the lane; even in offseason scrimmages teammates would get physical with him knowing he would back down rather than attack the defender, so he tended to drive selectively and shoot from range more often. He's shown more willingness to initiate and take contact on drives this year to my surprise; some guys simply never get used to being bumped and hacked and I thought he would be one of them, so I'm glad to be wrong about it. His injuries of late may be why he was reluctant to take on defenders inside in the past. His willingness to keep doing it regularly and not sporadically will be a huge key to UI's B1G success.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 01:05 PM   #24
HeartofaChampion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trifecta23 View Post
Could TA be a 4 time mvp for UI?
If we're to be an NCAA tourney entry and win a game or 2 in the Dance, it'll be because BP was our best player, imo. TA has more of the bulldog attitude, but BP is clearly our best talent and needs to play like it for us to be successful for the long haul.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 01:15 PM   #25
Trifecta23
Quote:
Judging solely by the eye test, I can't remember many open 3s he's taken in rhythm the last 4 games. Most were off the dribble, fading, some contested, some well beyond the arc. The old BP returned.

My guess is you're right that being banged up is the primary reason for the overreliance on 3s lately along with his success from 3 against Gonzaga. Last year's 3-pt barrage vs. OSU seemed to convince him to rely more on the 3 after that game, and I wonder if the same is happening now. Hopefully he heals up some by tomorrow and gets good instruction from JG and JW on refocusing his offensive mindset. He's a high-usage guy in our O, so he's going to get more opportunities than most to take volumes of shots and make plays.

I know in past years he became known on the team as a guy who didn't like contact and who would fade away or shy away from defenders when he drove the lane; even in offseason scrimmages teammates would get physical with him knowing he would back down rather than attack the defender, so he tended to drive selectively and shoot from range more often. He's shown more willingness to initiate and take contact on drives this year to my surprise; some guys simply never get used to being bumped and hacked and I thought he would be one of them, so I'm glad to be wrong about it. His injuries of late may be why he was reluctant to take on defenders inside in the past. His willingness to keep doing it regularly and not sporadically will be a huge key to UI's B1G success.
I think you spot on. I hope this years staff has the balls to show him some game film of how he trended last year and to not repeat.

Groce: "See this... this is how you make a lot of money at the next level."

Groce: "And this... Well, remember DMac?"

BP: "I see, I see... That is all I needed to hear."

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »