Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > General > Track 5 Chat

Malaysian Air 777 shot down over Ukraine

Old Jul 17, 2014, 09:39 AM   #1
Dan
Admin
Quote:
#BREAKING: Malaysian plane was brought down by a ground-to-air missile: Interior Ministry adviser, quoted by Interfax

Ukrainian Interior Ministry adviser says 280 passengers, 15 crew dead in Malaysian airliner crash: Interfax

I nterfax agency says Malaysian passenger airliner was shot down at altitude of 10 km above Eastern Ukraine

http://twitter.com/Reuters
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2014, 10:07 AM   #2
CardsIllinifan8
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/w...ssia/12779763/

They can't catch a damn break. Tough year. Prayers go out to the families.

Old Jul 17, 2014, 10:09 AM   #3
IntenselyOrange
Wow. I'm speechless.
IntenselyOrange is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2014, 10:12 AM   #4
Bob Christiansen
Location: Phi Kappa Psi, 4th & Chalmers, a few years ago...Now? Weeki Wachee, FL
Ummmm...reasons? A "mistake"?

This is gonna get interesting..

Old Jul 17, 2014, 10:14 AM   #5
IntenselyOrange
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Christiansen View Post
Ummmm...reasons? A "mistake"?

This is gonna get interesting..
It has to be a mistake. But even still, it could get ugly.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 10:28 AM   #6
Bob Christiansen
Location: Phi Kappa Psi, 4th & Chalmers, a few years ago...Now? Weeki Wachee, FL
Regardless of which side shot down the aircraft, one would have to assume an attempt was made to allow the aircraft to identify itself prior to engagement...you would think...

Old Jul 17, 2014, 10:43 AM   #7
SalukiIllini
CNN is secretly excited.
SalukiIllini is online now Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2014, 10:45 AM   #8
Bob Christiansen
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalukiIllini View Post
CNN is secretly excited.
Oh you bet they are!

Old Jul 17, 2014, 11:27 AM   #9
Apollo88
Quote:
Regardless of which side shot down the aircraft, one would have to assume an attempt was made to allow the aircraft to identify itself prior to engagement...you would think...
I doubt the pro-RU forces are asking who it is. All they know it is it is not them. Plus, compound that with their commanding general's tweet, I would say most likely their mistake.
Apollo88 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2014, 11:33 AM   #10
DaytonIllini
What a disaster. Smaller things have triggered global wars before. Obviously my sympathies to the families but I sure hope cooler heads prevail and de-escalate tensions.

Old Jul 17, 2014, 11:53 AM   #11
Bob Christiansen
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonIllini View Post
What a disaster. Smaller things have triggered global wars before. Obviously my sympathies to the families but I sure hope cooler heads prevail and de-escalate tensions.
Dayton, no offense, but tell that to the families of the victims. But something seems a little out of place here, IMO. Yes, "fishy"...

Old Jul 17, 2014, 12:02 PM   #12
MuckFichigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalukiIllini View Post
CNN is secretly excited.
It was Jeff Zucker that did it.
MuckFichigan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2014, 12:07 PM   #13
IntenselyOrange
Quote:
Dayton, no offense, but tell that to the families of the victims. But something seems a little out of place here, IMO. Yes, "fishy"...
As much as I feel bad for the families, I'm with Dayton in hoping cool heads prevail. The odds of that are made greater by this not being an American plane that was shot down. That's not a "knock", but I think we all know that even greater tragedy would ensue if it was.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 12:28 PM   #14
Bob Christiansen
I have seen one report that up to 23 Americans were on board...

Old Jul 17, 2014, 12:57 PM   #15
mattcoldagelli
Americans and Brits on board.

This is going to be bad news.

mattcoldagelli is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2014, 01:02 PM   #16
Bob Christiansen
Matt, you gotta figure Dutch, Germans, French...not good at all...

Old Jul 17, 2014, 01:21 PM   #17
mattcoldagelli
Quote:
Matt, you gotta figure Dutch, Germans, French...not good at all...
Oh, absolutely.

I just meant this is going to have a significant impact on the two countries with probably the most influence when it comes to sanctions and potential actions re: Russia (you could include Germany, as well).

mattcoldagelli is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2014, 01:29 PM   #18
IntenselyOrange
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcoldagelli View Post
Oh, absolutely.

I just meant this is going to have a significant impact on the two countries with probably the most influence when it comes to sanctions and potential actions re: Russia (you could include Germany, as well).
Yes. It's still far better than had it been an American/British airliner. But that's a high number of Americans on the flight.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 02:09 PM   #19
illinifan31
Orange Krush Cow
I think it was for sure the rebels. Their reasoning for shooting it down? Who knows. Maybe they thought it was a government plane. But how long do you allow it to go on? If it comes back that it was for sure them, what do you do? Just sit there? "Sanction" them? The news reports the rebels have the black box, so if that's true then we will probably never know. As someone currently living in Europe, flying around to various countries, including what was supposed to be a flight today(Thank god I changed plans otherwise I would have crapped my pants), I don't want anything escalating, but you have to draw the line somewhere, and not an Obama line, a real one.
illinifan31 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2014, 02:28 PM   #20
Bob Christiansen
I think you might see a little different behavior from Obama in this case. And, if what you say is correct, that the rebels have the black box, well, they either turn it over to the NTSB...or face the consequences. Of course, if they do turn it over, well, I guess it's just delaying the inevitable...

Old Jul 17, 2014, 02:38 PM   #21
FeelYourPaign
Bob,
not trying to be a smart aleck, but face the consequences from who? or is it whom?
FeelYourPaign is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2014, 02:39 PM   #22
Illiniaaron
This is purely a guess, but I think this had to be some sort of tragic accident. Neither side in the conflict has anything to gain by shooting down a commercial airliner full of foreigners on purpose.

The US is going to have to re-examine our policy towards Russia. It's obvious that Putin is interested in regaining as much of the old Soviet sphere-of-influence as possible. I think it is likely that the Ukraine will split in two, with a pro-Western west section and a pro-Russian east. Call me an old Cold-War Chowderhead if you want to. We have around 40,000 troops stationed in Germany and 11,000 stationed in Italy. If we can I think we should be moving some of these troops into Poland, Czech Rep., Hungary, and the Baltics if they will have us as well as missile defense batteries and other armaments. Putin needs to be shown that it stops at the Ukraine.
Illiniaaron is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2014, 02:48 PM   #23
rsbc vet
Wow.

Ukrainian version of NSA releases transcript of call between separatists who claim to have shot down plane and Russian Colonel.

This is going to get ugly.
rsbc vet is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2014, 02:51 PM   #24
Bob Christiansen
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelYourPaign View Post
Bob,
not trying to be a smart aleck, but face the consequences from who? or is it whom?
FYP, smart-aleck you're not. IMO, the world, given the international make-up of the passengers aboard, will be clamoring for some sort of "retaliation". Make it swift and decisive, and gently tell Mr. Putin to STFU and go play dominoes in a hotel room for a while, we'll tell you when you can come out and play.

Old Jul 17, 2014, 02:54 PM   #25
KBLEE
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsbc vet View Post
Wow.

Ukrainian version of NSA releases transcript of call between separatists who claim to have shot down plane and Russian Colonel.

This is going to get ugly.
Just read this and they had the same question that I had, "Why was this plane flying over this area in the first place?" If there are rebel skirmishes taking place, I would think that commercial airlines would attempt to avoid the area entirely.
KBLEE is online now Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | General Chat | Next Thread »