Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > General > Track 5 Chat

Tablets vs Laptops

Old Mar 16, 2015, 01:45 PM   #1
AnticipatedSerendipity
Hey,
So my laptop is on its last life and have been looking at different Tablets to replace it. I use my laptop for visiting sites like facebook, twitter, espn, IL, Bleacher report and my mail accounts. I would also want Microsoft word on it.

2 questions:
1. Is it a good idea to use a Tablet instead of a Laptop?
2. What are some of the top Tablets to look into?

Thanks to those who are smarter (geekier) than me!
AnticipatedSerendipity is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2015, 02:23 PM   #2
CardsIllinifan8
Banned
If you Microsoft word on it, get a laptop.

What's your budget to spend? If you wanna spend 1800, you can get a 13" MacBook Pro with Microsoft on it. I got my MacBook Pro with MS on it and has been doing great for 4+ years. Runs as fast as it the first day.
CardsIllinifan8 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2015, 03:07 PM   #3
AnticipatedSerendipity
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsIllinifan8 View Post
If you Microsoft word on it, get a laptop.

What's your budget to spend? If you wanna spend 1800, you can get a 13" MacBook Pro with Microsoft on it. I got my MacBook Pro with MS on it and has been doing great for 4+ years. Runs as fast as it the first day.
Yeah i was thinking more around 800 to 1000. Im just wondering if tablets are making more of a push past laptops.
My current laptop is an Asus which lasted about 5 years. Until my girlfriend kicked it off my lap and it did a 360 spin in air and fell to the ground (all accidental). Otherwise I would have this laptop for another year or so
AnticipatedSerendipity is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2015, 03:35 PM   #4
IanKEvans2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnticipatedSerendipity View Post
Yeah i was thinking more around 800 to 1000. Im just wondering if tablets are making more of a push past laptops.
My current laptop is an Asus which lasted about 5 years. Until my girlfriend kicked it off my lap and it did a 360 spin in air and fell to the ground (all accidental). Otherwise I would have this laptop for another year or so
As far as laptops go, I'd avoid HP. Twice I have been burned by their customer service after their two laptops died prior to their projected shelf life.

I currently have a cheaper Sony Vaio ($500-700) and it's held strong for well over a year now. Love it.

As far as the laptop vs. tablets, it all depends on what you need. I'm a grad student, so for me a laptop works best (along with a Kindle Fire for electronic textbooks).

If you're looking into a tablet, be sure to test the keyboard prior to the purchase. It takes some getting used to when all you've known is the feel of a desktop or laptop keyboard. I've tried the Microsoft Surface Pro (surfing the web only) and it is awesome.

Old Mar 16, 2015, 05:02 PM   #5
IntenselyOrange
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanKEvans2 View Post
As far as laptops go, I'd avoid HP. Twice I have been burned by their customer service after their two laptops died prior to their projected shelf life.

I currently have a cheaper Sony Vaio ($500-700) and it's held strong for well over a year now. Love it.

As far as the laptop vs. tablets, it all depends on what you need. I'm a grad student, so for me a laptop works best (along with a Kindle Fire for electronic textbooks).

If you're looking into a tablet, be sure to test the keyboard prior to the purchase. It takes some getting used to when all you've known is the feel of a desktop or laptop keyboard. I've tried the Microsoft Surface Pro (surfing the web only) and it is awesome.
I have had good luck with HP in the past. I currently have a macbook pro however.

As for the original question. Tablets and computers have completely different uses. For me, my tablet is for reading and taking notes. I don't do any "real" work on it. My wife however loves her surface pro. I tried it for a week and hated it. It's bulky and by being a hybrid it does neither well IMO.

In the end, it's about your needs. Tablets are strong enough to run word, but struggle with more memory heavy programs. So, it sounds like if I were in your shoes I'd probably try to go the tablet route. I love my Samsung Tablet, but will likely change to an iPad Plus when it comes out.
IntenselyOrange is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2015, 05:02 PM   #6
MainelyIllini
One big downside to the MS Surface is that it is heavy for a tablet. It is nice though.
MainelyIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2015, 08:02 PM   #7
illini80
Battery life is much better on my ipad vs laptop. Similar to what is said above, it depends on how you will use it. Tablet is much more convenient imo for simple tasks, but wouldn't want to do spreadsheets on it. Word should be fine. I have a keyboard case with mine and it works great. Good luck.
illini80 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2015, 09:55 PM   #8
KrushCow31
Former Krush Cow/illinifan31
I have a 15.6 inch Asus Flip I got for $700. It is a laptop, but then flips into audience mode, tent mode, and tablet mode. The tablet is pretty large...so kinda dumb, but the other stuff is cool. If you want, I would look into the hybrid laptop/tablets like this, with a touch screen obviously.
KrushCow31 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2015, 05:31 AM   #9
IntenselyOrange
Quote:
Originally Posted by illini80 View Post
Battery life is much better on my ipad vs laptop. Similar to what is said above, it depends on how you will use it. Tablet is much more convenient imo for simple tasks, but wouldn't want to do spreadsheets on it. Word should be fine. I have a keyboard case with mine and it works great. Good luck.
Additionally, if you go the iPad route, I believe it will come with Pages. It's not Word, but it's effective. I prefer it in fact. The point being, depending on your needs, you may not need to invest in Microsoft Word/Office. Unless you need Excel, I have found the Mac versions (Pages and Keynote) as useful, if not better.
IntenselyOrange is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2015, 05:54 AM   #10
GilThorpe
pretty safe to say that at this point in time, tablets have succeeded in becoming the only computer you need for a very small segment of society - grandmas and toddlers being two groups in that segment.

otherwise, one is for show, one is for go
GilThorpe is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2015, 01:51 PM   #11
ijustkrushalot
I love my tablet but if you don't have a desktop or a laptop that serves as a desktop replacement, then a tablet isn't going to do it for you.

It's great for travel (if you don't need a full powered computer for a few days) or for carrying around during the day to have something to read off of or do light surfing over your lunch hour.

Illinoisan Out Wandering Around
ijustkrushalot is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | General Chat | Next Thread »