Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illini drop out of AP Poll & Coaches Poll

Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:43 AM   #1
trevdv
Officially out of the AP Poll:

Quote:
Wichita State, Cincinnati, Mississippi and Miami moved into the rankings this week, replacing San Diego State, Illinois, UCLA and Marquette.
http://www.wtov9.com/news/ap/top-new...ap-poll/nT3dq/

Wisconsin isn't ranked either.

Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:48 AM   #2
trevdv
1. Duke (39)
2. Michigan (11)
3. Kansas (7)
3. Syracuse (tie) (8)
5. Louisville
6. Arizona
7. Indiana
8. Florida
9. Butler
10. Gonzaga
11. Kansas State
12. Minnesota
13. Michigan State
14. Ohio State
15. New Mexico
16. Oregon
17. Creighton
18. North Carolina State
19. VCU
20. Wichita State
21. Cincinnati
22. Missouri
23. Ole Miss
24. Notre Dame
25. Miami (FL)

Others receiving votes: Marquette (92), Wisconsin (55), UCLA (41)

Illinois did not receive one single vote (not surprising).

Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:54 AM   #3
trevdv
Out of the USA Today Coaches Poll, too:

1. Duke
2. Kansas
3. Michigan
4. Syracuse
5. Louisville
6. Arizona
7. Florida
8. Indiana
9. Butler
10. Gonzaga
11. Michigan State
12. Creighton
13. Kansas State
14. Minnesota
15. Ohio State
16. VCU
17. New Mexico
18. North Carolina State
19. Oregon
20. Cincinnati
21. Wichita State
22. Missouri
23. Notre Dame
24. Ole Miss
25. San Diego State

Others receiving votes: Miami (49), Wisconsin (42), UNLV (23), Illinois (3).

Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:58 AM   #4
mattcoldagelli
That's kind of ridiculous that Wisconsin can't break into either poll.

@mattcoldagelli

mattcoldagelli is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:58 AM   #5
trevdv
Wisconsin isn't ranked in either poll, Kansas State is ranked no lower than 13th, Illinois only got 3 votes from both polls combined, Butler (whom we beat) is now in the top 10 in the nation, while the Zags only drop one spot after the loss. Minnesota only drops a couple spots, despite going 0-2 during the week. Duke is now back on top in both polls, but Kansas, Michigan, and Syracuse all received multiple 1st-place votes.

We all knew it was coming, but I still don't like this feeling...

Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:33 PM   #6
JoeJ
Ranked #61 on Pomeroy.
12th in BIG in 3 pt % on both offense and defense, BIG only. Giving up 42% and shooting 24%. We are #1 in opponents turnover rate, 2nd in block % and 3rd in steal %.

If each team takes 15 3 point shots a game, we give up 18.9 ppg in 3 while scoring 10.8 given those %ages. Net 8 pt deficit per game.
If you figure 20 3 point shots,25.2 vs 14.4 , 10 .8 ppg.
If we can correct the 3's both ways, we will be in much better shape.
GO ILLINI!
JoeJ is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:47 PM   #7
HeartofaChampion
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcoldagelli View Post
Losing to unranked Iowa hurt the momentum it gained from winning at IU.
HeartofaChampion is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:49 PM   #8
HeartofaChampion
BW is doing a good job at KSU after his team took awhile to adjust to his motion system. He's done quite well when he's inherited talent from prior coaches.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:53 PM   #9
mattcoldagelli
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartofaChampion View Post
That was a road conference loss by 4 points, though. It shouldn't negate winning AT #2 IU, which is one of the best wins of the season by anyone.

@mattcoldagelli

mattcoldagelli is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:02 PM   #10
illini80
Quote:
BW is doing a good job at KSU after his team took awhile to adjust to his motion system. He's done quite well when he's inherited talent from prior coaches.
I agree. And I think MT actually did him a favor firing him last year. Will be interesting to see if he learns from his past mistakes.
illini80 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:05 PM   #11
HeartofaChampion
Quote:
That was a road conference loss by 4 points, though. It shouldn't negate winning AT #2 IU, which is one of the best wins of the season by anyone.
True, but WI trailed Iowa by as much as 20 points before making a rally in the last 2-3 minutes. That didn't help their cause and was probably fresher on pollsters' minds than the win over IU.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:06 PM   #12
HeartofaChampion
Quote:
Originally Posted by illini80 View Post
I agree. And I think MT actually did him a favor firing him last year. Will be interesting to see if he learns from his past mistakes.
Surprisingly, he's playing his bench more, though that may be because he has more reliable players to use off the bench. Martin left him a good roster.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:27 PM   #13
AlmostFamous79
Weber will do at KSU what he did at Illinois. He will win with Martins kids, now. In three years he will have that program at the bottom of the league and the whispers will start. Bruce will finish his career at a mid major, where he belongs and is a much better fit.
BUT, really, who cares.
For us, the seniors need to graduate and at least 3 guys need to transfer for this team to have a chance. Graduation will take care of the current problem. Transfers have got to happen through suggestion from the coaches. With no offense to any current player. Sometime a fresh start is better for everybody. Djimde, Shaw, would be better served elsewhere. Probably even Henry. Langford, is an athlete, however, I just have not see enough of him. Maybe he, as well.
I think Groce needs to play Langford a lot of minutes from here out at the 4 spot, along with Henry to see what you have for next season. I am done with Griffey. No offense, but he has shown almost zero ability at this level.
AlmostFamous79 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:39 PM   #14
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Quote:
We also devalued their win over us by losing to the Nerds.
WesterveltVictoryCigar is online now Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:14 PM   #15
stevo99
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesterveltVictoryCigar View Post
We also devalued their win over us by losing to the Nerds.

Perhaps.

But you don't break into the top 25 for the first time when you lost on Saturday night. Pretty much the long and the short of it.
stevo99 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:24 PM   #16
HeartofaChampion
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostFamous79 View Post
I think Groce needs to play Langford a lot of minutes from here out at the 4 spot, along with Henry to see what you have for next season. I am done with Griffey. No offense, but he has shown almost zero ability at this level.
JG won't do that. He'll do everything in his power to get the team into the Dance or the NIT. Not saying I agree or disagree, just seems obvious based on his past and recent comments.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:28 PM   #17
stevo99
Quote:
JG won't do that. He'll do everything in his power to get the team into the Dance or the NIT. Not saying I agree or disagree, just seems obvious based on his past and recent comments.

Agreed.

The easiest way for the team to truly give up on themselves is to show that you've given up on them as a staff. Not a good look for any coach, particularly a first year coach.
stevo99 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:43 PM   #18
RecLeagueHero
Banned
Quote:
Surprisingly, he's playing his bench more, though that may be because he has more reliable players to use off the bench. Martin left him a good roster.
Yup. When he has to rely on his own guys, it will be a much differenct story.

He has no Jerrance to pull them in this time around, and if he struggled to get guys in his own backyard to IL, he is going to have a heck of a time getting guys to Manhattan.
RecLeagueHero is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:46 PM   #19
Bailey
Wow, look at Sparty climb. Same story, different year. I've read many posters talk about how unimpressive they are. They've played some close ones, but they're as strong and balanced as ever. One more time - Keep an eye on Denzel Valentine. The freshman has a really impressive skillset.
Bailey is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 04:27 PM   #20
jrichisamazing
I was hoping Michigan would be #1, but can't argue much with Duke's resume. It would have been nice to beat the #1 team but I guess beating #2 is good enough.
jrichisamazing is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 04:34 PM   #21
IlliniRunIn07
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrichisamazing View Post
I was hoping Michigan would be #1, but can't argue much with Duke's resume. It would have been nice to beat the #1 team but I guess beating #2 is good enough.
Beating any team would be nice at this point.
IlliniRunIn07 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 04:50 PM   #22
bmb777
Banned
Quote:
Wisconsin lost to Iowa. Thats why they arent ranked. Had they beat Iowa they would be ranked.
bmb777 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 04:56 PM   #23
bmb777
Banned
Quote:
Its still a loss to a team they should have beaten. Very rarely, if ever is a team going to move
up in the rankings if they have a loss during the week. You could beat the number 1 ranked
team, but follow that up with a loss, u arent going to move up in the rankings.
bmb777 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 04:59 PM   #24
OrangeandBlue4eva
Hopefully in the near future we are in the top 25 all year. That will be the day.
OrangeandBlue4eva is online now Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 05:07 PM   #25
Groundhogday
Quote:
Yep, he is going 10 deep most games. And now Groce is only playing 7 meaningful minutes at Illinois. So maybe Weber was telling the truth when he expressed a desire to play more guys. We just didn't have enough guys worthy of playing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostFamous79 View Post
Weber will do at KSU what he did at Illinois. He will win with Martins kids, now. In three years he will have that program at the bottom of the league and the whispers will start. Bruce will finish his career at a mid major, where he belongs and is a much better fit.
I think it is more likely that Weber has enough early success to last 5-6 years at KSU, then retires. He is 56 now, so I don't see him taking a mid-major job with $millions in the bank (thanks Ron G.) at age 62.

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »