Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Pregame: Illinois at Nebraska, Tuesday, January 22nd, 7:30pm CT, BTN

Closed Thread

Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:57 AM   #26
illynifan34
That's a winner!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteakSandwich View Post
If we lose to Neb, UM, and MSU then the season is lost and we need to start preparing for next year. That means more playing time for the younger guys. It will become clear that yeah the seniors will play but shave of 10 mins a game off each of them. We need to get these guys ready for next year.
I have a hard time saying we just lost to Northwestern at home by 14 and thinking that the season isn't lost already.

We'll lose to Nebraska, and I'll go with DJ crying this year.

In Mike I Trust

Aggressive

Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:51 AM   #27
Ramrod2010
Moral victory time: Nebraska doesn't get to 80 this year!

UNL - 59
UI - 53
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:59 AM   #28
WesterveltVictoryCigar
I thought the two games that really exemplified the problems of last season were the home loss to Northwestern (started the "collapse") and at Nebraska (the lowest point of the season). Ironic that we have them back to back this season. No idea what's going to happen, but it's pretty hard to be optimistic.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:08 PM   #29
Peoria Born
Losing our last 3 games by a total of 54 points, I find there is no way we win this game. It's hard to win any game when it is basically 3 (BP, Egwu, Abrams) on 5. If my math proves right, we should lose by 18. With that being said: Nebraska 66 Illinois 48.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:11 PM   #30
Warriors1994
We put an end to it in Nebraska and win the game and stop the collapse
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:15 PM   #31
drumanimal
I'm sure Nebraska is feeling pretty good to play the Illini!!! The skid continues.....
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:18 PM   #32
barnhartkc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warriors1994 View Post
We put an end to it in Nebraska and win the game and stop the collapse

I like that scenario and truly hopes this is the outcome!
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:31 PM   #33
jackman404
Banned
This might be our last stand here. If we play well and win, maybe we can build a little bit of momentum heading into the toughest part of the schedule. If we lose.....man.

UGLY win.
Illinois: 55
Nebraska: 51
Old Jan 18, 2013, 01:09 PM   #34
lakesideIllini
How can you figure this team out? My dartboard says

UN - 68
UI - 54

There are no more ugly wins...too rare!
Old Jan 18, 2013, 03:16 PM   #35
OrchardDowns
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
Is another epic Nebraska collapse in the cards? Who would have thought we would be in danger of repeating last year so exactly?
Groundhogday? Are the Illini stuck in a Groundhog day scenario????????? The same season happening over and over again??????

Oh ya. Nebraska 77, Illinois 59.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 04:03 PM   #36
zoggle101
Last year everyone was expecting an easy win at Nebraska, and up until the last week it was the same feeling about playing in Omaha this year. At least we have the fact that the money most likely will not be on us, and the majority of our fans don't think we'll win this one. I always love those two things.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 04:16 PM   #37
Ransom Stoddard
Ordained Dudeist Priest
I fully expected us to be scraping NU off our shoes this morning, so we'll go the opposite way:

UNL 68
UI 59
Old Jan 18, 2013, 04:27 PM   #38
SeanO
I feel like I'm scaling new heights (depths?) of pessimism, but it occurs to me that if we don't beat Nebraska we probably lose 11 in a row. Nebraska would be four, followed by 5 teams who are better than we are, followed by two teams who have already taken us to the cleaners. Man, I hope I'm wrong.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 04:56 PM   #39
JSpence
UNL- 68
UI - 51

I had penciled in the NW win and was on the fence about this one. Things have changed - now I hope we look competitive.

Edit : What am I, the 3rd or 4th person to give UNL 68? Crazy.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 04:56 PM   #40
illinifan3923
Ill-47
Neb-59
Old Jan 18, 2013, 05:36 PM   #41
jrichisamazing
If we lose this then I'm not going to the B1G tourney. If we win then I will see how the team plays against UM
Old Jan 18, 2013, 05:57 PM   #42
jmat
Banned
i think meyers leonards has a big game but we still lose
Old Jan 18, 2013, 06:19 PM   #43
Gumby
UNL

I've got Mike Latulip exploding for 30 off the bench.

Final: Nebraska 65 Illinois 32
Old Jan 18, 2013, 07:16 PM   #44
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoggle101 View Post
Last year everyone was expecting an easy win at Nebraska, and up until the last week it was the same feeling about playing in Omaha this year. At least we have the fact that the money most likely will not be on us, and the majority of our fans don't think we'll win this one. I always love those two things.
Perhaps because this team essentially already had their Nebraska loss equivalent by losing at home to a weak Northwestern team by 15 points.

Old Jan 18, 2013, 08:21 PM   #45
Illini B-Ball Fan
Keep the faith.

IL 63
NE 55

Go Illini!
Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:30 PM   #46
PointGuardU01
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakesideIllini View Post
How can you figure this team out? My dartboard says

UN - 68
UI - 54

There are no more ugly wins...too rare!
I think we're pretty easy to figure out at this point actually. Poor shooting team that compounds its shooting problems by not sharing the ball and settlingfor poor shots. We also are a team that turns the ball over too much. We are also a team that doesnt fast break mostly because we are always taking the ball out of the net because....we are also a very poor defensive team. My head hurts
Old Jan 19, 2013, 01:04 AM   #47
troydove
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I've got Mike Latulip exploding for 30 off the bench.

Final: Nebraska 65 Illinois 32
Who scores the other 2?
Old Jan 19, 2013, 01:56 AM   #48
Franklin Delano Bluth
I know its not Groce's style, but I'd love to see a shake up in the starting 5 for this game, anything at all to fire this team up. Slow starts have doomed this team, It would be nice to see 5 guys come out of the gate with a little passion.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 08:48 AM   #49
RecLeagueHero
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin Delano Bluth View Post
I know its not Groce's style, but I'd love to see a shake up in the starting 5 for this game, anything at all to fire this team up. Slow starts have doomed this team, It would be nice to see 5 guys come out of the gate with a little passion.
He could do that, but would it matter? I mean, who is he going to start that might play better than what we are seeing now?

I know we are all just grasping at straws here....the recent performance has us all scratching our heads a bit. However, it mostly comes down to not having much talent on the roster....and the talent we do have doesn't fit together worth a darn.

I look at the bench and I don't see one guy that could be starting except for maybe Bertrand. That is a pretty sad indictment.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:50 AM   #50
Monte Carlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by PointGuardU01 View Post
I think we're pretty easy to figure out at this point actually. Poor shooting team that compounds its shooting problems by not sharing the ball and settlingfor poor shots. We also are a team that turns the ball over too much. We are also a team that doesnt fast break mostly because we are always taking the ball out of the net because....we are also a very poor defensive team. My head hurts
The thing is we weren't really most of those things until recently, which makes it even more exasperating.
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »